alonimi
Chance Encounters [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Chance Encounters [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=785)

Chance Encounters [Closed] - megs - 07-23-2020

Kama Darkwillow as at a baby shower.

He wasn't particularly thrilled to be at this particular baby shower. Not because he wasn't happy for his sister. He...mostly was. Kama picked up his two-toned eyes from the half-empty drink he was swirling around to glance at Julianna and her...boyfriend. He supposed Owen was still just her boyfriend. He hadn't heard anything about a proposal. Thinking of him as a her baby daddy was rude and too modern of a slang for his tastes.

Anyway. It's not that he wasn't happy for her, strictly because she seemed absolutely elated. The whole thing was just awkward for him. A dark history and a bunch of people he didn't know milling around and enjoying snacks and drinks to celebrate and unexpected pregnancy. He did recognize Maeve, however, approaching Julianna and putting on a hand on her obviously protruding belly. The show of a few months of growth looked bigger on his petite sister.

Kama finished off the last of his punch. He moved towards the kitchen to get more. It was a larger crowd than he expected. Must have been the people she was meeting at work. It was weird to think that Julianna had a job. He bumped into someone and it pulled him out of his thoughts. "Oh, sorry," he said automatically to the redhead as she turned around to see who had collided with her. Kama blinked down at clear green eyes. They looked like moss on a wet stone. Her skin made her look like a porcelain doll with blush painted on the apples of her cheeks. "S-sorry," he said again, somehow stumbling over the simple word. He couldn't help but look a little lower. He quickly looked back up. She was wearing and off the shoulder blouse that showed off... well, quite a lot a cleavage and he didn't want to get caught starting.

He backed away from her quickly and turned on his heel. Completely forgetting that he had been going to the kitchen. He made a line straight to his sister. She stopped talking to Owen when he came up beside her.

"Hey," she said. "What's up?"

It must have been the half-panicked look on his face that alerted her need to ask. She was very intuitive for someone who was a little naive otherwise. It's not that he would say his sister was a little dumb...

But you know. If the shoe fits.

"Hey. Who's that- don't look-" he warned, before he continued. "Who's that unbelievably curvy redhead talking to that Internal Affairs lady from your work?" He was proud he remembered that tidbit about the raven-haired woman from a previous gathering. He couldn't help but think that the curvy redhead looked familiar. Kama glanced at Owen who had suddenly taken an interest in their conversation. It didn't keep him from saying, "she is literally the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Who is she?"

"That's Victoria," Julianna replied. She had to take a brief peek around him because she wasn't a mind reader.

Kama felt his throat tighten. His gaze darted to Owen and then back to Jules. "Victoria."

"Owen's sister."

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - saronym - 08-11-2020

Victoria felt someone run into her. Not aggressively but enough that Meredith reached out and caught her arm to steady her. "Oops sorry," she apologized automatically, though it wasn't her fault at all. Just to smooth it over. Their apologies met as awkwardly as they did. The face of the man who'd bumped her was just as unexpected as the bump itself had been. Years had passed since she'd looked up at the handsome doctor.

Victoria giggled self-consciously and glanced down at her hands, "It's okay!" When she looked up again, he had melted away into the crowd.

"Oh... well, bye...I guess." She said more to the empty space where he'd been. She shared a look with Meredith before shrugging.

"So you were saying, about your new boyfriend..." prompted Victoria.

Meredith continued prattling on but Victoria's thoughts had gone blank except for the two-toned eyes that blazed in her mind. Her girlhood crush never spoken to anyone but her closest confidantes at school came rushing back. Her face felt hot as she suddenly realized that the union of sorts going on between their siblings would likely throw them together on occasion. Birthdays, holidays. Would he be there?

"He sounds so sweet, you'll have to introduce me sometime." Victoria said blandly when she heard Meredith's voice pitch higher with some kind of question. Victoria's spine tingled with the feeling of eyes on her. She resisted the urge to turn and look. It probably wasn't him. That was stupid. He didn't recognize her and that was okay. "Would you excuse me? I'm parched."

The ladies parted amicably. Victoria headed for the spiked punch bowl for the not-pregnant-people of the party and refilled her cup. She stared out the kitchen window at the yard remembering the last time she'd seen Dr. Darkwillow.

---

Owen spotted Kama emerging from the crowd with some kind of needy or concerned expression on his face. He heard Julianna ask what was the matter and their brief back and forth.

"You're not listening." Renton complained to Owen, noticing the blonde was dividing his attention.

Owen took a half step away from Renton and leaned towards Kama and Julianna.

"Yeah, that's my lovely sister, Victoria. You remember her, right?"

He tsked with faux commiseration. "She's taken, unfortunately." He lied smoothly unsure if Julianna would correct his lie or if Julianna was certain about his sister's dating life anyway. He'd only found out earlier by asking where her boyfriend was that Victoria was currently single.

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - megs - 09-06-2020

Kama's eyes bounced between Owen and Julianna. Then briefly to Renton just because he happened to be standing near by. He was distracted for a moment. The blue-eyed brunette had an almost otherworldly beauty about him. Eventually his gaze settled on Julianna again and she only shrugged. "I remember hearing something about a boyfriend," she said, with little conviction. Kama noted the way she shifted on her feet and rubbed a hand over her large belly. Owen was quick to hover over her.

"How have you been feeling?" he asked her, instead of pursuing his inquisition of Owen's sister. He wasn't put off by the fact that she was related to the blonde. He had...other reasons. Totally legitimate and personal reasons for pushing thoughts of the busty-

No, not busty, please think of any other word...

Charming redhead from his mind.

"I'm doing fine," Julianna said, with a bright smile. Pulling Kama out of the thoughts he was doing a terrible job of ignoring. "That morning sickness seems to have left me with the first trimester. By the way have you met Renton?"

Julianna beckoned Kama closer to where the handsome analyst was standing where Owen had left him. "Renton, this is my brother Kama."

Kama didn't know if he wanted to meet Renton, because he was already pining after Victoria. He was woefully single after a long separation and finally, a divorce from his wife. He didn't want to be all up on his feelings about the handsome brunette too. He smiled none the less and held his hand out towards the other man. "Nice to meet you."

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - saronym - 09-20-2020

An almost Cheshire grin crossed Renton's face as he was introduced to Julianna's handsome brother. While he couldn't deny that Kama was attractive, Renton had little interest in spending his time flirting with the man.

"Pleasure to meet you."

Renton took Kama's hand to shake it and used the leverage to pull himself closer. He put his other hand on Kama's shoulder and whispered into his ear. "She's not really dating anyone... You're welcome." His smile changed to mischievous as he pulled away from Kama. One could easily assume Renton had said something dirty to the handsome doctor.

Owen was unaware the devious expression that had crossed Renton's face. Instead Owen noticed the way Julianna shifted on her feet. She was heavily pregnant and he knew she would rarely speak up to complain about her symptoms.

"Why don't we go sit down for a while?" He suggested to Jules knowing she had been on her feet more than usual that day playing the party hostess. He slipped his arm around her shoulder to steer her to the living room where she could sit. He glanced at Renton to see if he would come and continue their conversation.

Renton got an excited expression, "Should we begin opening presents? I love surprises."

Owen gave him a sharp look, "Who's we? There's no 'we' here." He joked with his over-eager friend. "The gifts are for the mother and baby."

Renton stuck his tongue out, "Boo. Jules will let me open one, won't she?" He looked at Julianna for confirmation.

---

Victoria downed a small cup of punch before occuping herself with snacking on chips. She ferreted a handful away from the bowl and positioned herself carefully at the entrance to the kitchen. Peering through the crowd to see where Dr. Darkwil--- Kama--- had gone.

"Oh my god." Her heart leapt as she watched Renton move close and say something into Kama's ear. She felt her own jaw drop as a wave of jealousy washed over her. She had an almost irresistible urge to set Renton's hair on fire. Stupid mane of hair.

Stepping back into the kitchen, she grabbed the chip bowl and headed out to the porch where she found herself alone. She plopped down on the porch swing with a huff and set the bowl next to her. Idly pushing herself back and forth, she stared blankly at the yard thinking back on how much mental real estate she'd given up to dreaming about a handsome doctor who would never be hers. A forever fantasy.

She was fine with that.

She shoveled chips into her mouth.

It was an inappropriate crush anyway.

Besides Renton was prettier. More charming. He had an overwhelming presence like a movie star.

Her thoughts drifted briefly to her mother. She was the reason Victoria had ever met Kama in the first place. That she died was the reason. He'd come at Darcy's call to check on the traumatized children Ishara left behind. Owen had been defiant and awful towards Kama. Victoria cowered. Owen, perhaps, had always been more like Ishara. Victoria had this idea of her mother as an unassailable woman. She would have never spent a moment pining for a man who couldn't be hers. Not a single minute. Ishara had always gotten everything she always wanted until it was taken from her. Owen was the same way. He always got what he wanted. No matter what.

So where did that leave her?

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - megs - 09-25-2020

Kama stood rather dumbfounded by the information he had just received from his sister's friend. His shocked expression played along well into the idea that Renton had said something scandalous. He waved rather lamely to the trio as they walked off towards the living room. Where the gifts and more comfortable seating arrangements were settled. He heard his sister laugh and agree to let the brunette open at least one of the bigger presents in her stead, despite Owen's protests.

Victoria was single. Kama didn't entirely know what to do with this information.

Was it inappropriate for him to be interested in her? Albeit, at present that attraction was physical. Did that make it worse? She had been so young when they'd met. Did he even know how old she was now? Would she even remember him?

Kama couldn't decide if he was over-complicating the situation.

But Owen had seemed to want to imply that Victoria was unobtainable. Should he respect what seemed to be a demand for distance?

The doctor's thoughts distracted him as he moved aimless towards the kitchen. He ladeled himself another glass of punch, following his original intention and sipped at it. The last time he had been in the kitchen, his sister had turned the nook into an impromptu study. Crystal jars holding all her pens and inks lining one end of the table. They had been removed to make room for a selection of appetizers. Kama popped one of the tasty looking canapes into his mouth and decided to venture out on the back porch.

He walked to the railing and surveyed the expanse of the yard. It was a very nice house. Not something he would have imagined for a bachelor of Owen's age when he'd purchased the house, but now he planned to put it to use with a child on the way.

Taking a sip of his drink he noticed movement out of the corner of his eye. He turned his attention to newly added porch swing. Only to see that it was Victoria. He nearly choked on the alcohol in his surprise. How long had she been sitting there watching him brood to the empty lawn.

"Hey," he greeted, but didn't move closer. He felt frozen in place. "Victoria? Right?"

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - saronym - 10-20-2020

Victoria was slowly pushing herself back and forth on the porch swing and occasionally feeding herself a chip while she mulled over returning to the party. She wanted to see Julianna open her gift but at the same time she dreaded making further awkward eye contact with doctor Darkwillow. So, she tarried on the porch long enough that doctor Darkwillow himself appeared.

She froze noticing that he hadn't seen her.

Maybe if she was still enough he'd go away.

She started to hold her breath but abandoned the stupid plan. She let the breath out and pushed her toe on the porch to start the swing again. She gave him a feminine 'ahem' clearing her her throat to announce herself so he'd turn and address her.

Which he did.

Victoria beamed at him and nodded. "Yes. It's me. What you don't recognize me?" She teased picking up the chip bowl from the swing, she hugged it in her lap. It created a space next to her should he want it. She even planted her foot to stop the swing. "I - um -" she brushed a lock of hair out of her eyes, "-was not expecting to see you here. Which is silly because of course you would be here. She's your sister and he's my brother...so...here we are." She giggled out of more giddy nervousness than anything.

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - megs - 01-13-2021

Moving the popcorn was an invitation. Kama knew this, but he still hesitated to move towards her. He quickly took a drink. His eyes bounced around the porch to avoid looking directly at her because he was quickly distracted by how pretty she was. Which he still wasn't sure he was supposed to notice.

"Well, it's not that silly," he offered as consolation. "Seeing as your brother doesn't like me very much. I'm surprised I made the guest list."

Figuring there was no harm in sitting next to the woman, Kama moved closer to the swing. It would be rude, right? To turn down her invitation. They were just being friendly after all. And why shouldn't they? With their siblings procreating and all that.

And he found her giggle charming. She looked so mature and put together, but she was giggling at him like a shy school girl.

He sat down next to her on the swing. "So...Victoria. What have you been up to, recently?"
Kama turned his head to a brief commotion inside. Apparently, his sister was opening gifts. He figured he could spare a few moments outside, with Victoria, before they headed back inside to the party.

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - saronym - 02-18-2021

"Oh stop." Her laugh was breathy and she waved a hand to dismiss him. "Owen just plays tough. He probably likes you deep down."

Victoria was pleased when Kama joined her on the swing. She resumed using her toe to sway the swing to and fro as they chatted casually.

It was strange speaking to him as an adult. So many years had gone by now.

What indeed had she been up to.

"Dropping out of graduate school." She admitted with a shrug. "Higher ed wasn't for me." She left put the part about how she couldn't keep up with course work because she would sense the presences of fiendish and demonic presences in the area. And that handling those fiends and demons who became too unruly had interfered with her school work. He didn't need to know all of that. She could still see Darcy's concerned face as clearly as yesterday.

"How did you take it?" She asked suddenly changing topics wildly to the thing that had been weighing on her heart. Kama was perhaps the only person she could speak to about this particular topic. "Him and her. Together?"

She stopped the swing. "I just-- sometimes I look at her and I see -- that day --" she squeezed her eyes shut momentarily against the image of Drusilla -- Julianna -- with demonic red eyes. Even now, she could feel that thing dormant beneath the surface of Julianna's subconscious.

"I'm happy for them, I am." She quickly added. "I just ..." she trailed off hoping he would somehow understand whatever it was she was trying to say.

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - megs - 03-30-2021

An eyebrow perked towards his hairline, but he didn't engage with her playful reassurance that Owen liked him. He glanced across the yard and sipped his drink. Kama wondered if she knew about their first...reintroduction so to spoke. Testosterone tempers flaring, shutting the door on Owen and his sister as they stood on his porch. The consequence of his own bad day.

Kama wanted to talk more about her, about dropping out of school and about what she was actually up to now, but she dropped a bomb on him of sorts. This time both brows disappeared behind his fall of curls and he let out a big exhale.

Victoria spoke of the day that Belial, the demon possessing his sister, killed their mother. A dark day for all of them. Ishara Hart's death seemed to resonate through them, even this many years later. Kama continued to sip his drink. There wasn't enough alcohol in it to inspire any confidence in him, or to make the conversation an easier one. He wished he knew what to say that would comfort her. He held his glass in both hands, resisting the thought to reach out to her.

He couldn't help her as a child. What could he do for her now?

"I sometimes wonder what they talked about." Kama decided being truthful with her was the best answer. "They didn't get to... this," he gestured to the whole of the blue trimmed tudor house and the fenced in yard with a garden. "...by accident."

Kama knew it wasn't as easy as that. It wasn't just what they talked about. Julianna worked for Owen for close to a year. He knew it was the accumulation of many moments together. Both spoken and unspoken. He thought back to seeing them 'together' for the first time. On his porch. More than coworkers even then. Still he didn't know if he could agree that he was happy for them. He wondered if Victoria even meant it herself.

"What does Darcy think of it all?" he asked, not to change the subject, but to take the focus off himself a little bit. "He's not here. He working or..." he trailed off, knowing fully well that a baby shower was not Commander Weatherfare's scene. But perhaps there was something more to his absence.

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - saronym - 03-31-2021

Victoria laughed again despite herself. "I'm pretty sure it was an accident." She joked referring to the oops baby their siblings had made. Her giggle died down and she settled on the seriousness of his musings.

"I don't know." She admitted. "Owen doesn't tell me stuff like that...he doesn't talk much but he always manages to keep his bed warm.." She hated that she sounded a little bit sullen after she had claimed to be 'happy for them. The comment made her sound uncharitable. Small. Mean.

She looked away from him feeling embarrassed. She stared out at the manicured back lawn and tried to see things from Kama's perspective. That Julianna and Owen didn't get here by accident. That they'd had some moment of reconciliation. That maybe the way they felt about each other had somehow transcended the terrible past.

She looked back when he asked about Darcy. Pursing her lips momentarily, she envisioned her adopted father's face. So easy to do.

" I think... he wasn't necessairly thrilled at first. I think his first concern is always... you know, Owen's safety. Is he... safe considering..." she lowered her voice, "the murderous demon inhabiting your sister's body." She added quickly, "I think he just wants Owen to be happy and safe, that's all."

She sighed. "They do seem happy, though. Right?" Victoria didn't know why she was yearning for someone to reassure her. She certainly didn't mean to give that responsibility to Kama of all people but here she was asking for his reassurance. Victoria had this theory that so long as they were happy nothing tragic would happen with that demon again.

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - megs - 04-07-2021

Kama listened silently as Victoria spoke. It was obvious to him that she had a lot on her mind. More than she was perhaps able to vocalize to him in that moment. He assumed she didn't want to give her true feelings away. That she was 'happy' in general for her brother who seemed to be making a grown-up life for himself, despite his traumatic past, but that she was not particularly happy with who Owen had chosen to make that life with.

Normally, Kama would defend his sister until he was blue in the face. The desire failed him, looking across the swing at his beautiful company who did not want to hear about all of Julianna's merits. She likely did not care, and it was not as if Kama could blame her.

Kama scoffed a laugh when she described Darcy 'not thrilled'. The corner of his mouth twisted into a knowing smirk. "That sounds about right..." he muttered. He stood up from the swing. Kama pushed a hand through his hair, before shoving both of them into the pockets of his slacks.

"Is he safe..." Kama repeated. He blinked down at her with mismatched eyes. Victoria was putting a lot of pressure on him. Looking for someone to make her feel better about the situation. Was her brother safe while he 'keeps his bed warm' with a woman that a demon sharing her body. A demon, whose motives and triggers weren't exactly clear to any of them.

He looked away from Victoria and through the bay window into the house. He could clearly see his sister inside, still opening gifts. Flanked by Owen and that charming friend of hers. The silver stripes of her hair glinted in the sunlight. It had been so long since he'd seen her natural hair color. She was laughing and presenting something to Owen. Event he usually stoic blonde looked to be in good spirits. "They do seem happy," he agreed.

"I don't...want what I am going to say next to upset you." He turned to look at Victoria again. "Personally, I think your brother is safe, because if Belial wanted to kill him, he would already be dead. I don't know what it wants. I don't know why it did what it did all those years ago. But whatever it was, I don't think it had anything to do with Owen. Or you."

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - saronym - 04-27-2021

The more time she spent with Kama, the more her girlhood crush on him continued to bloom renewed. Those eyes. That accent. He was being comforting but honest.

Maybe too honest.

Belial.

That name.

She shuddered and hugged herself. She refused to follow his gaze through the window to the happy scene inside. She turned half away from him to look instead over at the well manicured back lawn.

"Right."

That Owen was alive simply because Belial allowed it was not comfort to Victoria. How long would it's fickle grace last?

"He's such a fucking idiot." She spat suddenly unable to hold in what she really thought. She turned back towards Kama, tossing a red mane behind her shoulders as she did. "That's not good enough. I need to know he's going to be there for--"

She almost said 'me' but stopped short stuttering over her next words, "t-the baby. He's going to be a father. Doesn't she want to know the father of her baby will be around?"

RE: Chance Encounters [Closed] - megs - 06-06-2021

Kama was surprised, but didn't show it when Victoria's demeanor changed to something more damning than the gentle concern she was showing before. He sipped his drink. Watching that flare of fiery-red hair fall over her shoulder with the annoyed toss of her hand.

He was more aware of the words she was tripping over than she knew. It was easy enough for Kama to see how alone Victoria felt in that moment. She was on the porch, while Owen was inside with a woman she wouldn't admit she feared, or loathed or both, and he was starting a new family. A new life. Victoria was unsure of her place in it.

"We should go back inside," he said softly, instead of answering her question. Even without the presence of the demon, Kama couldn't guarantee her brother's life. He was still young, for an Eskran. A bit hot-headed and a bit reckless in a job that constantly put him in danger. Kama wasn’t prepared to give her the security of a false promise to her brother's safety. "I'm sure they're missing you. And you don't want to miss Julianna opening your gift."

He placed a hand in the middle of her back, smiling gently as his touch urged her forward. Back into the house, back into the warm homeyness she had been avoiding.

Kama's hand smoothed down to the small of her back as they walked together through the kitchen, and down the hall to the living room they'd been observing through the window. His hand fell away from her completely as the came into view of the party.

Julianna sat in a plush armchair as Renton delivered gifts to her. Her ears twitched and she smiled at them as they appeared. She accepted another gift from her helper. He set an oversized gift bag down in front of her. Manicured fingers turned the tag over to read the name aloud. "This one's from Victoria," she announced, turning that bright smile towards them again. She gingerly pulled out colorful tissue paper, gasping in delight as she revealed what was inside. Julianna pulled out a gorgeous designer diaper bag. Sizable and decorated in a darling floral pattern. "It's gorgeous," the mother-to-bed gushed. Noting a weight to the bag she set it on her lap and unzipped it. Revealing a haul of self care goodies. "Thank you so much, Victoria. It's perfect."

Kama subtly nudged Victoria with his elbow. A curve to his mouth, but he didn't look at her. As if encouraging her to realize that she did have a place in their lives.