alonimi
Beg Mercy [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+--- Forum: Complete (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: Beg Mercy [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=776)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Beg Mercy [Closed] - SolitareLee - 11-05-2019

Ren did, in fact, relax slightly at this admission. She didn't know how tax--or, to an extent, currency--worked in Aeris, other than that it was something people wanted from her that she didn't have to give. She understood the concept, but had very strong memories of money not mattering at all when it would have been easy to deal with, and then abruptly mattering a great deal the absolute second she had nothing to give.

"Thank god, first fuckin' thing I've ever done that didn't turn out t'be a crime," she said dryly. "Yeah, they used to come through, in th' fall... around now, actually, I guess." The thought made her sigh. "An' they'd have all those fresh apples 'n' jarred goods 'n' shit, and I swear everyone's such a lil bitch about tradin' with 'em sometimes. This one guy... Buck, I think... absolutely loved my lil gadgets. Every year since I was like, eight, he'd come in and trade fer shit. He stopped comin' a couple years back, not sure why honestly." She sighed. "S'been years since I had some decent elven moonshine. Man, I miss that asshole."

She realized, abruptly, she'd been rambling, and flushed slightly. This wasn't the sort of thing she and Gareth normally talked about. It was always work or arguments or fucking, mostly at the same time. But this wasn't the kind of setting they were normally in, either. Soon, they'd be back at work, and, she supposed, everything would be back to what counted as normal for her.

RE: Beg Mercy [Closed] - Tindome - 11-05-2019

Still in the city, then—just elves as a small patch of country passing through. "I can ask around for you, if you'd like, and see if I can find out what he's up to," Gareth suggested. "Make sure he's alright, see if he took a caravan out of the kingdom." Phrasing it as checking up on the elf rather than doing her a favor seemed like a winning strategy. "I'll be talking to the neighbors soon, anyway. The pumpkins are almost ready."

He'd see about getting some apple butter while he was at it. Maybe not moonshine. But if he was getting some anyway, he might set aside a small jar. Very small.

He wouldn't mention that part to her. He'd surprise it with her later. Without the element of surprise, she might think about it too much and resent having to wait for him to bring her things.

RE: Beg Mercy [Closed] - SolitareLee - 11-05-2019

"He's proly dead, or like. Elf-dead." Ren was very shaky on how the elven lifespan worked. They might just retire from life. She wasn't sure. "But I mean yeah, I guess, if y'can find anythin' from 'elf named Buck.'" She shrugged. "Seems like a wild goose chase t'me. He died or he stopped travelin', settled down in a nice tree somewhere maybe. Y'know, they offered me t'come with them. Fix up th' newfangled steam caravans 'n' shit. They were all hyped up after I figured out how t'jerry-rig lamplights onto the front o' the wagons. But, y'know." She worked with a lot of flammable materials. They traveled in wooden wagons. Bad mix.

She stared out over the countryside. "I really wanted t'finish the vaccine," she admitted with a sigh. No point lying, since he already knew about that. "I thought I was so close; took me years after that. Dumb across the board. Coulda been out there right now, eatin' fresh apples 'n'--" Her voice caught, and she cleared it. "Fuck, it's dry up here," she said, probably not fooling anyone. "An' all these dumb fuckin' leaves got me thinkin' 'bout elf tradin' season." Right after the harvest when everything was fresh, apples and cider and giant gourds, warm flannel sitting right next to the bison it came off of. "Yer lucky, livin' right near 'em."

It was fortunate the King was flying high and straight. The urge to jump out was rearing its head again in spades.

RE: Beg Mercy [Closed] - Tindome - 11-05-2019

"You might be surprised," he said. "Live long enough and it's easy to lose track of a couple years. Plenty of wagons get parked over at the village for a season and just forget to get back up a while. It's easier if you know what he was, family-wise—if everyone called him Uncle or Nephew. Might narrow it down. Can't hurt, anyway."

It would have been better all-around if she'd gone with them. He never would have met her, but that would probably be better for her, too. As it was, she'd gotten exactly what Gareth hadn't wanted: a reminder of everything she was missing, stuck in the castle and forced into work. It scabbed over after a while, all the things you couldn't have, but Avi had a way of ripping them right open. That tended to happen, when someone always got their way.

"Yeah," Gareth agreed. "I got lucky."

The sun was setting over the mountains, orange and pink. The King spread his wings, and did a wide circle over the castle, the city small beneath him. He sent a spray of flame toward the sun in tribute. Not a greeting, but a warning.

This wasn't home, but he was back.