alonimi
Black Tea & Lavender [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Black Tea & Lavender [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=775)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Black Tea & Lavender [Closed] - saronym - 09-25-2019

Owen couldn’t say that it was an average Saturday in his household. They were still getting used to new routines and a new home. He had decided to take them every Saturday morning for breakfast at the diner, followed by a visit to the library to pick new books to read for the week. Then he would either take them to a park or let them run around the yard until they were tired and hungry. He prepared a hearty late lunch while they started their new books or embarked on some other activity - Nicholas liked to doodle in a journal.

Their new flow was interrupted by a visitor.

Owen was surprised to find himself face-to-face with his long-time friend. She didn’t even greet him, only explained her presence. And the explanation jolted him. She was right. He had absolutely forgotten about arranging for childcare for his date.

“I suppose you’re staying.” He looked pointedly at her bags.

Owen moved aside for her to come into the house while he toted her luggage into the doorway. He happened to glance up as he grabbed the handle to her suitcase and noticed his neighbor across the street and down a couple of houses looking directly at him. It sent a jab of icy fear through him. Owen quickly pulled the bags inside and closed the door.

He knew what people said about him. Or he had an idea. That he was strange. That their family was strange. Incomplete. That they weren’t to be trusted. A family of witches with a mysteriously missing wife and mother.

He shook off the feeling and tried to put a smile on for Maeve. It was nice to see a familiar face. The boys meanwhile were milling about her excitedly demanding why she was there and whether she had brought them anything.

“Do I even need to ask how you knew?”

RE: Black Tea & Lavender [Closed] - megs - 09-27-2019

As Owen spoke, one of the bags that Maeve had brought with her rustled. Upon closer inspection it was not a normal suitcase. It was actually an expensive looking pet carrier. One that would be expected to house cat or a small dog. Maeve didn't address the movement. She stepped over the threshold and allowed Owen to bring her things inside.

"Why not?" she responded in regards to the length of her stay. "I don't have much else going on and it looks like you could use my help."

As if on cue, the boys came down the stairs all at once like a thundering herd. They swarmed her and she smiled at them. "Of course, I brought something," she said with a bit of cheer, but intentionally missing their point. She opened the pet carrier to reveal that there was actually a snake inside. The reptile was mostly pitch black with piebald spots of brown. It was the size of a ball python. The triplets all groaned in unison.

"Zija's not for us," Cain complained.

"Yeah we seen that snake lots of times," chimed Ethan. Owen could be heard correcting his grammar in the background, but they weren't listening. "What did you bring for us?" Nicholas finished their mutual thought.

"Just because someone is visiting you, doesn't mean you get a present," Maeve lectured at them. Hands on her hips. As she spoke, the snake slithered out of the carrier. It seemed to grow as it did. The spell keeping it more transportable was wearing off. Revealing that it was actually the size of a large reticulated python. Easily 18-feet long. It was slowly making it's way over to Owen.

The boys sounded of their disagreement at her. Another chorus of dubious groans. "The lavender lady gives us stuff when we visit her."

Maeve didn't need to inquire further to know the 'lavender lady' was probably the very woman that Owen happened to be taking out for a date that day. "Well, that's because the lavender lady has a crush on your dad," she explained, causing the boys to giggle among themselves.

RE: Black Tea & Lavender [Closed] - saronym - 09-27-2019

Owen knew what was in that moving crate. “You brought--” He didn’t bother finishing the thought. Of course she brought her familiar. He would be sure to ask on the process of transporting a snake via plane later.

Owen flashed Maeve a look that could kill at her remark about the ‘lavender lady.’

“Not in front of the boys.” He hissed, eyes flaring with sudden anger. Certainly they were too young to understand and there was no need to talk of any such things before he figured out how to address it properly with them.

If he did address it at all.

It was just dinner because Cain broke something.

"The lavender lady is being a good sales lady. She wants us to keep coming back to her shop so I will spend more money there." Owen corrected Maeve after the fact to his boys. But they weren't listening.

“Boys, boys…” Owen addressed his triplets who could barely be contained. They were talking over one another excitedly addressing each other and Maeve and him. They were three balls of chaotic energy bouncing off each other. “Please.”

They knew what that meant and quieted some. Owen could feel Zija’s form slowly slithering up his pant leg. He put his hands on his hips and stared at Maeve, the source of all the commotion in his previously peaceful household.

“If you’re here to help, then help.” He looked down at the snake. “Hi Zija.”

RE: Black Tea & Lavender [Closed] - megs - 09-27-2019

Between the deadly look and his one word of insistence the group quieted. They all looked as if they had just been scolded, Maeve included. She was unaware that she was speaking out of turn until he had snapped at her. She realized two things simultaneously: that he had not spoken about the situation with the boys, and that was largely in part because he did not know what he was going to do about the situation.

Purple eyes blinked back at him. They flicked over him once, as if she was trying to access something about him from a distance. She frowned, but didn't make a remark. Clearing her throat, she looked back to the children surrounding her. "Why don't you boys take Zija and show her the guest bedroom." Maeve moved out of the circle of to where Owen was slowly being engulfed by her familiar.

Despite the insistence of her master, the snake didn't not want to let him go. His tolerance for snakes made him an easy favorite with the creature. With a few muttered words the snake 'poofed' back into her smaller and more easily manipulated size. Maeve picked up the python and handed her off to the kids who knew how to gentle with her. Even though she was wildly more resilient than a regular snake.

"Is that what you are wearing?" She asked him as the triplets took off with Zija in tow.

RE: Black Tea & Lavender [Closed] - saronym - 10-14-2019

The adults shared a look that went over the heads of the boys. They were oblivious to the messages the adults were conveying with their eyes.

With the snake poofed back to its smaller size, Nicholas took the lead in toting her upstairs while his brothers followed behind. Their chattering voices tapered off as they disappeared on the second level of the house.

Owen gazed down at his body dressed as Maeve lightly critiqued him. His button down shirt was a little bit wrinkled from chasing the boys around and jeans exactly date worthy. His lips pressed into a thin line.

"Of course I'm not wearing this. What are you doing here?" He answered her question and posited his own in rapid succession.

"You think you'd pick a phone up before you flew across the country...to babysit my kids? Did you see something?” He gazed at her bags. “How long are you staying?”

RE: Black Tea & Lavender [Closed] - megs - 10-18-2019

Maeve smiled in satisfaction when he confirmed he would be changing for his date. She checked her watch. The accessory had a burgundy band and matching face. The time was marked with little diamonds, and showed the current moon phase. He was going to be late if he didn't stop interrogating her. "It's a short stay," she said, but she didn't sound entirely sure. She was expressionless.

"Walk and talk," she demanded of him. Shooing him towards the stairs with a wave of her hands. "I came to visit,"she repeated.

She walked behind him as he led her to the second floor and down the hall to the master bedroom. She flopped down on the end of his bed. Perfectly made, including those little decorative pillows that ended up on the floor when you wanted to sleep. Leaning back on her hands, she crossed one leg over the other.

"I... didn't think of that," she explained sheepishly when he mentioned the phone. "Sometimes, you just get an idea and roll with it. You gotta act quick when you're motivated by the universe." Maeve looked at Owen, but quickly looked away again. "I didn't see anything." She sounded exasperated. "Nothing...bad."

Maeve stood from the bed suddenly and walked to his dresser, pulling open the top drawers and revealing a selection of ties. Owen had always seemed both fascinated and terrified by her ability to read signs natural portents. He had no knack for it, himself. He wanted to know what she would see, but always assumed it was something bad.

"You forget to hire a babysitter, I wanted to see you and the boys. It all came together. " She wanted to change the subject. "Tell me about the girl."

RE: Black Tea & Lavender [Closed] - saronym - 10-18-2019

Maeve was doing that thing where she was being very vague. Though she peered at her watch, Owen was positive it was not giving her any information about the length of her stay. She would stay as long as she felt she needed to.

He wasn’t displeased, at all.

“Good.” He said as he climbed the stairs in front of her. He half turned and glanced at her. “I need witch company. This town is…” His lip curled and he didn’t finish the sentence. She could probably guess at his meaning. They could get into the gritty details when there wasn’t a time crunch to get him out to his date on time.

Owen stripped out of his shirt, while she poured over his ties. She had an uncanny knack for opening just the drawer he would keep them in. Was it their many years of friendship or her foresight? She would say her abilities didn’t work like that, but he had different ideas for how they seemed to spill into even mundane tasks like choosing just the right drawer.

Next to her, Owen tried to evaluate his ties from Julianna’s perspective. Which would she like?

“She has a farm and a shop--herbs and handmade soaps and honey and the like.” He explained as he lifted out a couple of ties. One was a safe satiny navy blue, the other had a floral design. He held them up for Maeve’s inspection.

“Cain teleported into her shop and broke a display. I’m buying her dinner because she refused to let me pay for it.” He tried to downplay the significance of the dinner though he was picturing Julianna’s flirty smile and a flash of green eyes through curls fallen into her face. He thought about tasting her lips and what she would do if he kissed her.

He knew it was more than just repayment.

“She’s a plant witch.” He added quickly. “Well, kind of a hedge witch.” He said it out of the side of his mouth in a whisper with his hand cupped around his lips as if it were a dirty secret.

“I’m going to take a quick shower. Just pick it all out for me.” He announced suddenly before securing fresh undergarments and leaving her alone with her questions. No doubt she would have many. And he would, no doubt, face them when he returned from the shower smelling of woodsy oak but hinting at something sweet like bourbon. His hair was combed back in his usual fashion. He’d even put a bit of balm into his beard. All of it took only a few minutes as his routine was well-practiced at this point.

"So what did you see, exactly?" He asked when he reappeared.

Maeve studied Owen's face as he spoke. Piecing together almost imperceptible movements of his face. Things he wasn't telling her, and feelings he was ignoring. It wasn't that Owen couldn't control his expression, he was masterful at policing his face, but reading signs was her job.

She glanced briefly at the ties he held up for her inspection and ignored them both with a frown. He needed something that radiated a more positive vibe. There was something so severe about the clothing he usually chose for himself. Even the dainty flowers didn't save the dark-colored tie he had chosen. Maeve pursed her lips. "So, you're saying it's not a date? Do you not like?" He was calling this late lunch a repayment, such a strange thing to do platonically.

"Are you sure she's a plant witch?" She called over the sound of running water, as she rifled through his closet. Hedge witch was a bit of a strong accusation in their community. She knew he wouldn't answer her until he returned, but she put it out there regardless. While he was absent Maeve selected what she perceived as the perfect ensemble for his date. A pale lilac shirt she had never seen him wear, and a matching tie. She had liked the floral elements of one he had shown her, but managed to find one in a lighter color tucked in the back of the drawer. She choose grey slacks, because she was tired of seeing him wear black all of the time.

Maeve didn't look at him while she answered his questions. Too busy looking at all of his tie clips. "You're always so worried that I come bearing bad news. I didn't really see anything. Not like you're thinking. I was just made aware that you weren't prepared for this date. Kinda like the universe was telling me a funny joke."

“No, it is a date.” He conceded on the way to the shower. “It just happened as a result of Cain’s … refusal to discipline his use of his abilities…”

“Yes, I’m sure she’s a plant witch.” Owen said over the sound of the water. He popped his head out the shower door. The shower spray created a little pool of water on the floor that started soaking into the rug. “If it’s one thing I have a knack for it’s placing witches.” He added, bragging a little. It wasn’t an exaggeration, though.

When Owen returned to the room he found his outfit waiting for him. Owen slid into the purple button-up without any protest. It...wasn’t what he would have chosen but it was nice to have the burden of choice relieved from him at the moment. He was feeling increasingly fluttery in his stomach.

It occurred to him that he hadn’t been on a date with someone who he wasn’t married to in over a decade.

That seemed like a long time.

Owen turned towards Maeve after he finished buttoning his shirt and glared at her. He was aware that he must have looked ridiculous in just a light purple button-up and his boxer briefs. Long pale legs on display.

“So you’re telling me the universe encouraged you to come wingman for me?” He rolled his eyes and turned his back on her again so he could put his pants on.

“I do like her.” He said in answer to her earlier question that he’d run away from. “She’s very ... she’s … beautiful. Very attractive girl. She’s nice to the boys even though they’re… themselves.” He was watching his reflection in the mirror as he struggled with his tie. He normally never had problems with it but his mind was elsewhere.

He gave up and turned back towards Maeve with a half-fumbled tie, “She’s too young for me, though. I don’t think she’s even thirty. So I’m just going to take her out and have a nice time with a pretty girl who’s too young for me. You never told me what you saw, by the way.”

Maeve rolled her eyes at his light bragging. "How does a plant witch end up in a place like Cedgewick? Does she have family here?" If she did it would make even less sense to Maeve. Why would any witch willingly come to such a mundane down with slightly Witch Trial vibes.

"The universe doesn't tell me what to do," she explained. Perching on the edge of his bed again. This time she was at the side of it, since she had laid his clothing at the foot. She was being and inspecting the items on the nightstand. "Why do you sound like you don't want it to be a date," she complained with an exasperated laugh.

Maeve stood once more. She wasn't usually so fidgety. She would blame it on the nervous energy he was putting off. Pulling a small vial out of her pocket she approached him. "You need to chill." She opened the bottle and the scent of rosemary quickly filled the room. She upended the vial with her finger stopping the opening, and she dabbed the essential oil behind his ears without asking permission.

"Maybe that will help you calm down some."

She shoved the vial back into her pocket, before taking up the task of his tie. He had quickly given up on it. Which was just more indication that he was kind of freaking out. The man wore a tie every day. "Does that really matter?" She made this inquiry after his comments on her age. She tightened the knot, pushing the fabric upwards towards his throat. It was a simple half-windsor because it was all she knew how to do. If he'd not been freaking out he may have been able to do something nicer. "It doesn't work like that," she said for the millionth time. "I just came to visit."

Except this time, she was lying. She pressed her lips together in a thin line and her hands fell away from his time. Maeve's abilities came with a burden of responsibility. What to tell people. When to tell them. What things she should keep to herself. She produced the tie clip she had chosen earlier from her breast pocket. A silver bar with a pewter flower on the end of it. "Everything is fine," she reassured him. "Please,just go have a good time on your date."

“I don’t know everything about her yet.” Owen’s tone began to sound a bit exasperated now. “So I suppose I will ask her all the biographical details on our date.”

Owen stared down at Maeve as she applied the oil behind his ears. He let her do it knowing it would probably help, but he batted her hand away just as she was finished with the second ear. Just to be a dick. “I’m fine. I do want to go. I just want to be clear that this is a casual date. Okay? I have to start dating again at some point.”

Owen was getting frustrated with Maeve’s being dodgey to his direct questioning. She saw something and that brought her here. And it was making him mad that she wouldn’t say.

“I know how it works.” He snapped as he snatched the tie clip out of her hand and turned his back on her again to look in the mirror as he fastened it.

He looked fucking great and he was mad about it.

“I am going to have a good time. Thanks for coming.” He thanked her in a tone that was overly aggressive. She wouldn’t take it personal. She would probably think it was funny.

“I hope you and the universe have a great time laughing at this old man trying to learn how to date again.” He said darkly as he stared into his own icy blue eyes in the mirror. He was undecided if he should wear his glasses or not. They were more for reading but he had a habit of wearing them all the time.

He turned around put on his glasses. Wordlessly, he gestured with his hands meaning ‘this’? He took them off and gestured again meaning ‘or this?’ He put them back on and gestured again.

“What kind of flowers do I get for a girl who grows plants?” Now he sounded like he was pouting. "Flowers don't say casual do they?"

Even though he was sassing her Maeve stood back to admire her handiwork. He did look good and she was damn proud of herself. She crossed her arms over her chest and popped one hip. A catty, self-satisfied sort of expression on her face. "You're welcome," she replied, taking his sour mood in stride. He could be such a baby when the mood struck him.

"You're going to be fine," she encouraged. Nodding to indicate that he should wear his glasses. Mostly because he was taking the girl to a restaurant and needed the for reading, which Maeve knew. "Let me tell you as someone who has been dating for the last ten years, nothing has really changed. And if it did, she'll just find you old fashioned and charming." Maeve snickered.

She checked her watched again. "Flowers are pretty romantic," she warned him. Needlessly adjusting the band on her wrist. "I wouldn't get roses. A colorful, summery bouquet would be fine. Hey, did you ever light that candle I gave you?"

Owen grimaced at the word 'old-fashioned.' Mostly because it had 'old' in it. She did it on purpose of course and so he sneered at her. "I'll take charming, thanks."

She was making the checking of her watch obvious enough. He needed to leave soon. It was about time.

"Flowers are pretty romantic. Maybe they're too romantic…" He was in the middle of musing over the flower issue when she posited a seemingly random question. "What?" He remembered the candle of course. Rather dismal and scentless black candle. "Oh yes. I did. But I blew it out. You never told me what it was for."

He knew he would be in trouble for admitting that so he added, "It's on my desk," as if its proximity to his usual workspace made it any better that the candle was unlit despite her express instructions to keep it lit.

RE: Black Tea & Lavender [Closed] - megs - 10-19-2019

He was right, he was in trouble. Maeve immediately frowned at him. Tossing her hands up on the air. "You did-I asked you-" Her brow furrowed as her varied complaints came out as nothing more than frustrated snippets of incomplete sentences. Despite this, Owen led Maeve back down the stairs and into his office. She spotted the candle on his desk where he said it would be.

Maeve pulled a lighter out of her pocket. Just as she had with the rosemary oil earlier. Curiously her one pocket seemed to always contain exactly what she needed. "You want me to tell you every little sign and omen I interpret, but you can't even keep a candle lit for me."

For a moment, the stubborn candle wouldn't light, and Maeve felt an icy fear grip her heart. Was it too late? Had the events she had seen truly come to pass? She tried again, and finally the wick caught the flame and held steady. The lighter disappeared back into her pocket. Straightening, she sighed and turned to him. "I don't know what I...saw. Okay? I need some more time to figure it out. If it was urgent or dangerous, you know I would tell you."

RE: Black Tea & Lavender [Closed] - saronym - 10-19-2019

"I found looking at it oppressive." Owen complained to explain his disobedience with her request. "So many questions unanswered." He added sounding more dramatic.

The subtle way Maeve seemed to panic as she tried to light the candle only raised more questions in his mind. Just what was this about?

He made a mental note to try ritual casting an identification spell on it. Maybe that would give him some clues.

"I know." He responded. His voice was normal now. Free of the playing at drama and brattiness. He wanted her to know that he trusted her and knew she would tell him if she felt he or the boys were in danger.

"Thank you for coming." This time he sounded like he meant it. "I missed you. The boys missed you."

This time it was he that checked the time. "Look, we'll talk later. We have a lot to catch up on. Don't let the boys stay up too late."

Owen exited his office and called for the boys as he headed down stairs. "I'm going out for a little while. Maeve will be babysitting tonight so I expect you all to mind her, okay?" He was crouched down as he spoke to the boys who nodded.

Cain wasn't satisfied, remembering Maeve's earlier comment about Miss Jules, and asked, "Where are you going?"

"Out with a friend."

"He's going on a date," Nicholas responded at the same time as Owen.

"I'm going out with a friend." Owen tried to correct.

However Nicholas was still speaking over him, "With Miss Jules."

That got both Ethan and Cain excited and they began asking for confirmation over one another.

Owen glared at Maeve, blaming her for his current predicament. He waited for her to corral the boys and he moved towards the doorway. "Be good." He reminded his sons before he left giving Maeve one more glance.

On the way to pick up Julianna, Owen stopped at a florist and bought a bouquet with Maeve's suggestion in mind. Peonies, clematis, and daisies. That was summery right? But the feminine color scheme of corals and peach, and a bit of white screamed ROMANTIC. Well, she only said no roses. He could see Maeve's annoying face as he paid for the flowers.

Owen showed up to Julianna's house as the sun was low on the horizon. His shadow was long across her porch as he stood and rang the bell waiting for her. His heart quickened when he saw the handle turning.

"Hi." He said, as soon as she opened the door. The bouquet was at his side.