alonimi
Toil & Trouble [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Toil & Trouble [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=772)

Pages: 1 2

Toil & Trouble [Closed] - megs - 01-31-2019

[Image: T3qWxwV.png]

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - megs - 01-31-2019

Julianna had survived her first semester of school.

Even though she had long since graduated, she had still felt the nervousness of a new year. She didn't know how the students would take to her. The Professors Rivers, Holland and Maeve, had been helpful in getting her reacclimated. Though, sometimes it felt like yesterday that she had been housed within Hogwarts shifting walls, everything seemed foreign upon her return. She was also becoming reacclimated to interacting with...people. And not merely the strange and fantastic creatures she studied and spent most of her time with.

There was also the matter of Professor Weatherfare. The surly Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher the she had embarrassed herself in front of. She had only seen him a few times since then. There was a time when she had caught his eye while entering the dining hall, and it almost looked as if he turned and completely went the opposite direction. Was he avoiding her?

For the most part, she tried not to think about it. It wasn't unusual for people to be off put by her profession, and penchant for carrying around some strange creature. The pygmy puff he'd been unwillingly introduced to was entirely harmless, but she supposed Owen didn't appreciate the intrusion.

Which was a shame. Julianna found him handsome in a brooding an unconventional way. And he always smelled woodsy and warm. Completely incongruous with his chilly personality.

Sometime in the middle of the week, Maeve, the wife-half of the Rivers' invited her to dinner at their home. She had accepted, of course, and now she was standing outside the door of their charming private domicile. She had chosen a dark green sweater to wear with black jeans and black ankle boots. Her hair was as unruly as ever, but she had not the time or perhaps the ability to tame it.

Maeve pulled open the door and her movie-star smile widened at the sight Julianna. "You made it," she breathed, as if she had been worried she wouldn't. She wore a lovely cocktail dress in a navy hue befitting her house, and not a single blonde hair was out of place. Julianna envied those straight golden locks. Accepting the bottle of wine that Julianna had brought as a gift, she stepped aside to let the other woman enter her home. "You're just in time," Maeve explained, leading her towards the kitchen. "'Holland and Owen were just about to get into a debate on the ethics of the Felix Felicis potion, so you can keep me company in the kitchen."

Julianna's heart leapt into her throat. "O-Owen?" she managed to choke out. Maeve only nodded and as if on cue, they crossed a threshold into a cozy dining room where the two men in question were already seated, in the middle of their discussion. "Say hello to Julianna, boys," Maeve teased in interruption.

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - saronym - 01-31-2019

The two men were posted up at the table that was covered in a white cloth. The centerpiece floated casually above the middle of the table, a black metal lantern with a candle glowing inside and wildflowers spilling down the sides. Each of the men handled masculine cocktails and appeared engaged in obvious intense intellectual discussion.

The contrast in the way the men were seated demonstrated the obvious differences in their personalities.

Owen was casually leaned back into his chair with his legs crossed loosely. One ankle rested atop the other knee. One elbow over the back of the chair on top of his folded wool coat. From the pockets of the coat stuck two folded leather gloves and his wand. He was balancing a cup of dark liquid on his leg and tilting the glass to swirl the drink slowly. He was buttoned into a fitted grey waistcoat and a pale blue button down with the sleeves neatly rolled to his elbows.

In comparison, Holland sat with his back straight and away from the chair. He sat almost on the edge. He held his glass on the table securely between the palms of both of his hands. Though comparably stiffer in posture, Holland was dressed in warm tones that made Owen's outfit severe by comparison. His soft burgundy v neck sweater was dressed up only by the collar of a button down with subtle blue stripes underneath.

“My perspective is that…” The husband-half of the Rivers was about to offer some judicious argument when the conversation was interrupted by the introduction of their newest guest. He broke off and both men turned their attention to the guest. One was obviously more surprised than the other.

Holland popped up immediately leaving his drink behind. “Hello Julianna. Welcome.” He turned half way and looked at Owen who was still staring up at the group with grey eyes shifting suspiciously between the two Rivers and the new girl. His eyes swept down to those cute little boots that had briefly fooled him into thinking she was taller. “Owen, you met Julianna at the beginning of the term, remember?”

Owen set his drink on the table and stood. His mind returned to their first meeting. Her eagerness to chat. The lost dinner roll. “Yes. Of course. I remember.” Clipped and impatient but he offered Julianna his hand as if they were still distant enough acquaintances to be shaking hands upon meeting again. Nevermind that he had, in a moment of excitement, pushed them rather past the level of acquaintance when he'd put his mouth right on hers. He figured they could both politely forget it ever happened. “It's, ah, nice to see you Professor. I didn't know you were coming.”

“Please sit.” Holland encouraged Julianna gesturing to the seat next to Owen. “Maybe Julianna would like to weigh in our debate?”

Owen grunted. “Yes I’m sure you'd be eager to draw her to your side and pummel me together. But popular opinion has never changed my mind.”

“Nothing changes your mind.” Holland countered smiling. “Perhaps we'll let Julianna tell us what she thinks.”

“Maybe we'll let her have a drink first? Since we're debating about altered states. More or less.”

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - megs - 01-31-2019

Maeve had moved around the table on her way to the kitchen as the men stood to greet Julianna. Which meant there were now three pairs of eyes on her as she stood somewhat awkwardly in the threshold. She smiled pleasantly at her company. The situation encouraged her to fidget, but she managed to stay still. It probably had something to do with a particular pair of grey eyes that were looking her over.

It had only been three days, since that night in the Forbidden Forest. When he had used her for a strange and terrible spell and then kissed her afterwards, and since then he had been acting like they were strangers. Which all things considered they still were, but they really, really needed to talk.

Her own green eyes dropped to the hand he had thrust in her direction, and her smile dimmed around the edges. “A pleasant surprise,” she agreed, also not having been informed he would be there. There was no enthusiasm in her handshake, her fingers barely curving around his hand before she released him quickly. “It’s nice to see you as well...Professor.”

It felt strange to be referring to him so informally, when she’d been shouting his name. Fearing he was dead.

“Oh, I think Maeve wanted my help in the-”

Maeve clapped her hands together and shook her head. “Oh, don’t worry about me.” Her bright trill of a laugh was so charming. Julianna found herself enchanted by the elegant Maeve. “I am sure it will be much more fun listening to the boys titter back and forth. Dinner will be finished shortly.”

As Maeve disappeared back into the kitchen without her, Julianna moved into the chair next to Owen that Holland directed her to. Her curls bounced over her shoulders as she scooted her seat closer to the table. She shoved her hands in between her knees because she wasn’t sure what to do with them. “I-I’m not quite sure I’m the one either of you would want to bring to this debate.” Seated so close to Owen she could smell the familiar scent of him. She still wasn’t sure of it was a cologne or something else. “I was never great with potions.”

As if on cue, they all heard the familiar pop of a cork being released from a wine bottle, and not a moment later Maeve had returned to present her with a serving of the dark red wine she had brought in a spotless crystal glass. And then she was gone again. Almost immediately Julianna reached for it to take a sip.

“May I ask which side of the argument you’re both representing?”

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - saronym - 02-01-2019

In contrast to Julianna's weak grasp, Owen's hand wrapped fully around hers in a firm but not harsh handshake. When he released her he tucked his hand into his pocket as if to save some of the warmth of her hand for later. He sat back down when Holland encouraged them to do so and watched Julianna scoot her way to the table. She tucked her hands between her knees in a way that reminded him of one of his more timid fourth years. He could tell she felt put on the spot.

“Nonsense.” Holland countered when Julianna nearly begged off participating in their discussion. “I would love to hear your perspective.”

Owen remained silent in the interim, picking up his drink again and resuming his laid back posture, one hand still cooly in his pocket. Content to observe the Rivers’ coax their new curly hair pet out of her hidey hole.

“Well, Owen was going to tell us an amusing anecdote about his own experimentation with Felix Felicis. And then he was going to defend its use.” Holland prompted his frowning friend.

“I wasn't --” Owen cut himself off to sip at his drink and resigned to telling the story anyway. He couldn’t explain the fluttering of nervousness in his gut at talking about himself in front of the new professor. “A lot of aurors microdose with it to give us --them--” He corrected himself. No longer one of them after all. “-- an edge in investigations...in and other things.”

Holland’s nod was very serious. “I see.”

“So anyway a couple of summers ago, the Ministry wasn't having any luck in arresting Isaac Ivors. So my partner and I decided to take a bit...more Felix Felicis than is typically prescribed. Just to see, what would happen with our investigation."

Holland muttered an ‘ah’ to express that he was following along. He remembered the wizard who enjoyed torturing muggles. “And what was that like?”

“I bought a trunks-worth of Bertie Botts Every Flavor Bean and spent hours picking out every single good flavor. I didn't eat a single bad one. Not a single one.” Owen gave Julianna a side glance to gauge if she would find the tidbit amusing.

Owen's emphatic way of speaking and the comical subject made Holland laugh. “That doesn't sound so bad.”

“And then I robbed a muggle pet store and stole a parakeet. I almost exposed myself. Shortly after, I caught Isaac Ivors and then enjoyed some more beans.”

Holland smiled. “That seems like a pleasant outcome.”

“I thought so too. Until I woke up barfing the rainbow on Scottish hillside with the unconscious body of Isaac Ivors and a panicked parakeet in a cage.”

Holland choked on his drink and then dabbed sheepishly at his lips with a handkerchief. “You what?”

“I was fired three days later after I turned in Isaac. He is still unconscious. I think ...I put him into that bird somehow. I can’t figure out how.” Owen shrugged. “The Ministry thinks I tortured him comatose. But I didn’t.”

“Wait. Is that the same parakeet in your office? The one you call--”

“Isaac? Yes. The Ministry let me keep the bird. They have his body somewhere. Still breathing.” He shrugged again. It wasn’t his problem any more, clearly. He gave Julianna another sideways glance. Would she think him cruel?

“And is... this why your students always complain about your beans?”

“When they misbehave, they eat a bean or five from the jar on my desk. They thought it was a very fun joke until they found out that every single one of them is vomit or something nasty.” Owen grinned wickedly. “I couldn't let all those nasty flavors go to waste. And the most amusing part is, they can't figure out how I picked out all the good ones.”

Holland laughed and slapped his thigh. “Brilliant.” He sobered up from his amusement quickly. “But why do you defend Felix Felicis?”

“There is nothing inherently immoral about the formulation. It's how you use it that gets you in trouble. I suspect that the potion acts more on relaxing the ego and expressing the intuition than just in confidence boosting as everyone erroneously postulates. I found it very useful tool to learn about my own thinking processes and how to get out of my own way and let...well my intuitive sense take the lead sometimes. ” Owen gave Julianna a third sideways glance. She certainly knew what it was like when he let his intuitive side take over. “Plus even a slight edge over a dark wizard or witch can mean the difference between life or death. And you can be damn sure they aren’t wringing their hands over the ethics of enhancement techniques.”

Holland frowned again and itched his chin. “Interesting.” He fell silent and his eyes popped up to Juliana. “And what do you make of this?”

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - megs - 03-10-2019

Julianna sipped her wine and did her best to listen intently to the topic at hand. Her mind kept wandering, however. They hadn't talked about the night in the Dark Forest. Or even that brief moment they had spent in her cottage when he had put his hand on her in that way that he had. Julianna knew they had not known each other long enough to really justify what had already happened between them, but why did they have to act like they were still perfect strangers. More or less.

She was oblivious to his sidelong glances in her direction, because she was only partly aware of the conversation. She sipped wine, and nodded approvingly as if she were truly keeping along. It wasn't that the subject was hard to follow (she wasn't that terrible at potions) she just wasn't good at debating. And she had been told more than once that her own ethical choices could be called into question in certain regards.

There was a lot left to learn about Owen was mostly what she learned in the span of his little anecdote. Julianna realized she knew nothing of his past or his character other than he was an Auror his father was the headmaster.

The men were looking at her. Julianna paused with her wine glass halfway to her mouth. Oh no. When had she stopped paying attention. She stared back at Holland who was across for her, asking her opinion on the matter. "I agree with Professor Weatherfare," she began, setting her glass down. "That it is not the formulation itself, but in how it is used. Though his tale does encourage the potion be used in moderation." A small smile curled at the corner of her mouth with the small jab towards the professor. "Similar to a...to a Wolfsbane potion I would say."

There was a clatter from the kitchen, followed by a high-pitched and breathy. "I'm fine!" from their hostess.

"I just mean that in small doses the potion could be used to help werewolves, but harm them in excess."

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - saronym - 03-10-2019

Holland placed his thumb and index finger pensively across his chin. When Julianna agreed with Owen's general premise he smiled thinking it proof that they belonged together. A bit of a zealous conclusion. The mention of Wolfsbane and a racket in the kitchen made Holland frown in the direction of the kitchen.

“Let me go make sure she's…” He gently pushed back his chair as he excused himself. “Everything okay?” His voice trailed away as he moved deeper into the adjacent room from where the heat and smells of cooking radiated.

Owen was surprised that the new professor would agree with him. The little verbal prick she gave him was well received. He showed it by the arch of his brow towards his hairline. His lips which had been pressed into a thin line twitched upward at one corner so that his whole face was lopsided amusement.

He glanced at Holland's retreating back as he joined his wife in the kitchen, leaving Owen and Julianna alone for the time being. Surely he could survive a few minutes alone with her. Something he had been pointedly avoiding for the past week.

Owen raised his glass to his lips and watched her over the rim while he tasted his drink. She looked good sitting there with her glass of wine. Wild curls tumbled over her shoulders in green. She always wore green.

“So, how have you been doing?” He asked after a minute completely abandoning the previous line of conversation. He held out his arm and rotated it back and forth. "Your treatment worked. For the scratches." Indeed his skin was repaired as if nothing had happened. And hadn't he been acting like nothing happened?

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - megs - 03-15-2019

Julianna could hear the couple speaking softly to each other in the kitchen. She wondered if Maeve was okay, but didn't need to investigate for herself. Which left her sitting at the table. With Owen. Just the two of them.

She couldn't help but stare at him when he inquired to her well-being. It was so nonchalant, casually brushing past the fact that he'd seemed to want nothing to do with her since that night in the forest. "Fine." Her reply was clipped. The simplest response after she noticed she had been silent for too long. Her gaze dropped from his face to his arm when it was presented to her.

Professor Darkwillow exhaled as if all the air was being pushed out of her. It was both an incredulous sigh and a scoff. "I can say the same for my hands." She didn't present them for inspection. One still held her wine and the other was tucked between her knees. She glared at him pointedly. Julianna knew this wasn't the time or the place for the conversation they needed to be having. What had he done to their attackers that night in the forest? Why had he kissed her?

"The kneazle and her babies are doing well," she informed him. "I've been checking up on them regularly. Mama is really warming up to me."

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - saronym - 03-16-2019

Owen felt himself freeze when she mentioned her hands. Surprised, somehow, that she wasn’t playing along with his campaign of silence on their history. He glanced instinctively to her hands. One cupped her wine glass, the other was tucked away. He was unable to assess the state of her palms. His gaze glanced guiltily down into his drink.

He hadn't meant to hurt her. Didn't she know that? He'd done it to protect her, like she had protected him. To defeat their attacker.

Thankfully, she changed the subject.

Almost, anyway.

Grey eyes flashed back to her face and he presented her with a guilty smile. Scratching at the back of his neck he said, “I've been meaning to come down and pay them, and you, a visit.”

It was a half truth. He was curious about her but kept his distance. It was probably better that way. People tended to end up hurt when he got too close. She was already a case study on that theory.

“I didn't know if I was welcome. The last time the kneazle and I met, she was rather irate with me.” His lopsided grin suggested that he wasn't speaking only of the kneazle but also of her own obvious irritation with him.

“There hasn't been any trouble out there. Since.” He figured she would be wondering about who or what had happened to them. He didn't yet know. They might never know but things were quiet and that was a bit of good news at least.

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - megs - 05-09-2019

As their conversation continued, Julianna's posture didn't change. She noticed his gaze drop briefly to her hands. It was almost as if she was deliberately hiding them from him. Which was pointless, there was nothing to show. Not a scratch on them. No evidence of what had happened between them in the woods except for the strange and lingering feelings and questions she had now.

"It's probably better that you stayed away. The kittens are big enough now that she won't be so defensive."

Which said nothing for Julianna's feeling of being defensive around him.

"I'm worried that I won't be able to rehabilitate them for the wild. Without her mate I've had to interfere too much for their well-being."

She gazed down at her wine, somewhat forlorn. At present, if they didn't return to the wild, Julianna would have to find a conservation effort that would help them. She didn't have the resources to house an entire family of Kneazles.

"You can come by anytime," she said suddenly. Smile back on her face, in an attempt to keep up her cheerful demeanor. "How's Quidditch," she asked to change the subject. She didn't want to think about who, or what had been lurking in the forest that night.

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - saronym - 05-27-2019

Brows pulled together in a moment of genuine concern for the creatures they had intervened with. He set down his drink and ran his fingers over the decorative placemat in front of him. “That's unfortunate. Perhaps the Headmaster will permit them sanctuary on the grounds...” He suggested though he was completely ignorant of what such an effort would entail. “I could speak with him, if that would be any help to you.”

“I will come by and see you all, soon.” He promised, his voice quiet and genuine.

“Oh. Qudditch.” He perked some seemingly caught off guard by the change of topic. One of his favorite topics.

“Well it would be going much better if not for the amount of homework Professor Rivers likes to give my new Keeper.” Owen did a half turn in his chair and glared at the vacant doorway that opened into the kitchen. It had gone oddly quiet in there after a great deal of rustling and talking between the two Rivers.

The darker haired one appeared in the doorway doing his best and failing at looking innocent. As if he hadn't been gleefully eavesdropping on Julianna and Owen's conversation.

Holland glanced behind him into the kitchen, “Darling are you loading the Slytherin Keeper with homework?”

“Not her.” Owen corrected with a finger jabbing at Holland. “You. Young Master Swern is often found drifting off on his broom puzzling whatever latest chemistry problem you've given them.” Owen's hand fluttered in the air demonstrating his wayward, distracted student athlete.

“Well, there is so much material to cover…perhaps a tutor for him?”

Owen waved his hand dismissively. “Just feed me already.” He demanded with a smirk.

Holland smiled. “Coming right up.”

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - megs - 05-27-2019

"I think I can manage it." Julianna declined his offer with a sip of her wine. It was not that she did not appreciate the offer, she just did not want to appear as if she was getting sloe to the headmasters son for favors. Headmaster Weatherfare was approachable enough, and had visited the kittens more in the interim than Owen had. "I think he will be sympathetic to my cause."

She smiled at him pleasantly as he insisted he would come visit. She didn't believe him, but tried not to be obvious about it. Between her classes and her creatures she had plenty of other things to worry about besides potentially broken promises.

"Homework?" The lighter haired one appeared in the doorway. "That certainly doesn't sound like me," she continued coyly. She stood serenely at her husband's side, smiling down at their guests. There was something mischievous in her purple eyes. She laughed lightly when it was revealed Owen was talking about Holland, accusing finer thrust in his direction. "Now, that does sound like him."

Her laughter trailed again as she disappeared back into the kitchen. A few moments later a floating array of delightfully prepared dishes heralded her re-entrance. A beautifully carved roasted chicken settled into the middle of her autumnal place settings, while various side dishes took place. "That does give me an idea however," she continued to joke as Holland helped her into her seat opposite Julianna. "I have one of your chasers in my advanced class. Perhaps, I will need to start keeping her up with extra work to give Ravenclaw an edge over you Slytherins." She winked at Julianna before picking up her wine.

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - saronym - 05-27-2019

Owen inclined his head to her, accepting that she knew what was best for the creatures and how to go about procuring help for them. If she wanted his help, she knew now that she had it.

The floating procession of food captured Owen's attention as he listened to the Rivers’’ continued jesting.

Owen shot a glare at Aphrodite threatening, jokingly, to sabotage his team with homework. His face settled into a smug expression. He drummed his fingers along the edge of the table. “Well two can play at that. I have your Seeker in my class. Assign at your own risk.”

His eyes then bounced between Aphrodite and Julianna as she was identified as a Slytherin. He cocked his head, somewhat puzzled. “You're a Slytherin? But you're so…” He trailed off before he uttered the adjective that he was thinking of. Sweet. "Well Slytherins are, as a whole, a grumpy lot."

Holland observed the interactions with a pleasant smile. A flick of his wand set a carving knife into the chicken. “Please.” He said gesturing for his guests to begin serving themselves as they saw fit. Holland pecked his wife on the cheek before pulling out her chair for her and then taking his place.

"I think Owen is trying to say he likes you." Holland added as he sat down.

Owen had a spoon deep in a dish of potatoes froze and a pinkish tinge flushed over his cheeks. He stared hard at the potatoes as he spooned them onto his plate.

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - megs - 08-25-2019

While Maeve was announcing an immediate truce and declaring a ban on sabotaging teams with homework, Julianna was blinking at Owen. Slow and deliberate like a puzzled cat. She appeared briefly offended and she cocked her head at him. "That's not like...a requirement," she defended of her general demeanor. Though, she didn't need his reminder that she'd had a difficult time fitting in with her more waspish classmates during her time at Hogwarts. "I like think I qualify in other ways," she looked away from him and began helping herself to the selection of delicious food.

She didn't get to elaborate in all the ways she thought herself ambitious and cunning- which was probably for the better- before Holland threw a conversational grenade in the middle of the table. They were both blushing now as the Rivers' smiled pleasantly at them as if they'd revealed nothing out of the ordinary Julianna knew she was also a pink to match Owen. She glanced over to where he was avoiding her eyes now.

Maeve continued with a new line of conversation as if they had not just spilled their friend's secret right then and there. The information was out , and it was a conversation for the two of them to have later. So, their job was done.

"So, I was grading papers with Holland and I noticed a Darkwillow in his second year potions class. Any relation?"

Julianna paused, forkful of roasted veggies halfway to her mouth. "Oh, you must mean my son," she replied. Thankful for the new topic. She felt as if she had enough to discuss with Owen already without Maeve and Holland piling. "He's a second year Slytherin."

RE: Toil & Trouble [Closed] - saronym - 12-22-2019

Holland observed the serving of the food seemingly pleased to have broken the ice, let the cat out of the bag, and whatnot as the muggles said. Julianna and Owen both sat blushing charmingly not so unlike the young students at Hogwarts who bashfully harbored crushes for each other.

Holland hummed over a mouthful of chicken as Julianna revealed that the Darkwillow student was, in fact, her son. So they had thought. Though the Rivers’ had also posited that the boy could have been a cousin or some such.

Owen was decidedly more surprised by the reveal. His brows went up and he glanced quickly at Julianna, chewing through a mouthful of roasted potatoes. “Keiavan Darkwillow is your son?”

Though he was supposedly some kind of famed auror, apparently, Owen hadn’t put the last names together before now.

“He is rather chatty in class, at times. He has an extra assignment because of it: the history and development of silence spells and their usefulness.” Owen picked up his drink and sipped at it. More questions tugged at his mind, the kind that were impolite to ask. Is the father in the picture?

“He expressed his interest in Quidditch. I told him if he did well on his extra assignment that he could try-out for the team.”