alonimi
A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=771)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - megs - 07-11-2019

The three of them seemed content to slumber on the floor in front of the fire for some time. It as Frostfang who roused first. Waking in the middle of the night the cat lengthened his body in a long stretch. Mouth opening in a huge yawn that put his sharp canines display. Picking himself up the sassy kitten left the rug to jump onto the empty bed, where he lounged around. Spreading out on the plush mattress.

Julianna woke next. Or rather, she was the next to move. It was in a twilight of consciousnesses and a haze of sleep in which she lifted her head from the floor. Her movements following were very similar to Frostfang. Body elongating in a stretch, a wide yawn. Her ears twitched in tandem as the cloak she had wrapped up on was pulled off in her movements.

Sensing warmth nearby, she closed the distance between herself and Eoghan on the rug. Julianna worked her way beneath his arms with the charm and effectiveness of a smaller feline. She spooned against the front of his body, enjoying the warmth before drifting back into deeper sleep. A content purr rumbling in her chest.

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - saronym - 07-11-2019

The cheerful, snappy morning singing of the winter birds nesting in the tree closest to the cabin that lifted Eoghan’s consciousness from the depths of sleep. There was a familiar low rumbling under the high-pitched birdsong.

Frostfang.

But the purr wasn’t the usual frenetic pace he’d come to associate with Frostfang. It was a slower pace with an undulating sort of rhythm.

And the body next to his was much too big. He peeked open his eyes and gazed down the length of his body. The Princess, Julianna, was nestled on his chest under the cloak, asleep, and purring softly. The feeling of the purr against his chest was pleasant, though he was somewhat surprised by it.

The muscles of her face were completely lax as she slept soundly against him. He found it puzzling remembering their brief scuffle and the words they’d had. He supposed the mead and conversation made up for it. Enough that she found him trustworthy enough to sleep against.

The cloak of her hood was pushed back showing her obviously feline ears. Curious fingers found her ear soft like velvet and smooth also. He traced the back of the ear with his fingers down to where the appendage emerged from a bed of curls at her scalp. She didn’t wake.

He dropped his hand back to his side and experimentally blew on the ear he had briefly pet. It twitched in protest but she didn’t stir.

Her hand lay on his chest. Her tanned fingers were small and slender. He ran his fingers over the back of her hand. The skin was soft and cool from exposure to the air. He slid his fingers under her hand feeling calluses on her palms.

She was full of contradictions.

He wasn’t sure if he was supposed to like that.

Still, she slept.

Eoghan stretched and yawned audibly, hoping it would wake her.

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - megs - 07-12-2019

Julianna slept through Eoghan's curious prodding. Between the cold and the uncomfortable strangeness of the new land, she had slept horribly since her arrival. The warmth of the drink and the warmth of a large body had all conspired to keep her slumbering into the morning. It wasn't until he moved that she was roused. The sensation of her head lifting and falling with his stretch. Her eyes opened slowly, pupils overlarge from lack of light and making the green in her eye appear as a thin ring. It made her appearance more kittenish than usual. The color disappeared again when she yawned, face scrunching up with the effort.

She lifted her head away from him and when her eyes opened once more, the black had retracted to thin, feline slits that took in the light from the windows. Julianna pushed herself into a kneeling position and pawed at her face with the back of her hands. Still wrapped in his cloak she looked smaller somehow.

If she had been bothered by discovering she’d fallen asleep on him she didn’t show it. Hands dropped into her lap and she yawned again. A display of elongated canines. When she shook her head, short curls bounced to and fro over her face. Finally, she looked down at Eoghan and blinked, as if noticing him from the first time.

Te tipu nui.” She said something to him in Veridian and then after a pause, she said “good morning,” in Eskran, as if to correct herself. “You stayed?”

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - saronym - 07-18-2019

There couldn't have been a more endearing creature to wake up to. Eoghan pushed himself up on one elbow as she yawned herself awake. He yawned along with her in spite of himself. Reaching for her with his free hand he brought her closer to him and deposited chaste kisses on either of her cheeks. His lips barely brushed her skin. The traditional Eskran greeting between friends, family, and close acquaintances.

Te tipi ni?” was his best attempt at returning the Veridian morning greeting. He smiled sheepishly knowing he had butchered the foreign words. “It was late. And I had too much to drink. I was liable to fall off my horse and freeze to death. Not an uncommon fate in the winter here.”

He guarded his still-sore side as he pushed himself up fully. Bruising pain spread across his side as his stomach muscles contracted when he sat up. The fire had burned down to embers that barely glowed under the ash. Eoghan got up and placed more logs onto the hearth and worked at getting the fire started for the morning before a chill took the house.

“You purr in your sleep, you know.” He commented as he moved a log around sending a poofing swirl of red cinders and ash in the hearth.

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - megs - 07-22-2019

Julianna's face screwed up in surprise, but she didn't resist him as he pulled her closer. The previous night's mistrust and animosity had completely dissolved. She giggled as he kissed her cheeks and his beard tickled her face. She had observed the greeting during her short visits to the village. While it wasn't something she was used to back home. it was a kind and warm gesture she could grow accustomed to. Her tail swayed back and forth over the rug, ears swiveled towards soft, ambient noises before honing in on the sound of him attempting Veridian. She smiled.

"Either way, I don't think your mother will be pleased." Julianna pushed herself off the floor. She ruffled her skirts into something resembling order. Her head turned back and forth, glancing around the room as Eoghan rearranged logs for her. "I don't think she likes me very much," she said of Ishara as an afterthought. The cabin was large enough to not feel cramped but it was an open floor plan. She had spotted what she had been looking for, easily. Julianna moved across the room to the bed and she picked up Frostfrang from the nest of furs and knitted blankets he had made for himself.

The kitten chirruped a noise in protest. Julianna imitated the noise back at him. He blinked up at her in surprise, before reaching up to bat at her face playfully with gentle paws until she laughed at him. Frostfang settled comfortably in her arms and she pet him idly as she turned to watch Owen stoke the fire.

"Ah, yes. I have been told that before." A blush fired up across her face. "Did it disturb you?"

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - saronym - 07-26-2019

Eoghan tended to the fire until it was a healthy roar that filled the home with warmth again. He arranged a kettle in the hearth to prepare water for a morning tea he liked to drink. He could hear the sounds of two kittens communicating and turned to observe Julianna and Frostfang.

The two were truly a pair.

“No.” He dusted soot from his hands and stood pushing up from his thighs. He watched her as she pet Frostfang, observing the curious flush over her pretty features. “I like the sound. I’d sleep next to my cat, or running water, or by the sea any night.”

He let only a momentary pause before he announced, “I must be going." His duties had come crashing back down onto him. His duties. His parents would be wanting him. His betrothed.

"I have something for you.” He found himself saying despite knowing he shouldn't give her anything else. From his traveling pack he produced an alabaster horn. He approached her, holding the object by the braided leather cord that attached to it. It could be thrown over the arm or attached to a bag. There was a scene carved into the horn. A man kneeling next to another who lay on the ground. He was blowing into the horn as a bird flew over head.

He pushed the horn into her hands. “You can call me with this. If you need anything. I often hike the woods for hunting and trapping. In the morning I tend the temple of the Forest Mother, Rhonna. It’s not far from here.”

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - megs - 07-27-2019

The silence that stretched between them after his admission made the announcement of his departure seem abrupt. Julianna continued to scratch Frostfang's head as he lay comfortably in her arms. Her gaze drifted once to the kettle that had been placed over the fire and then back to the large man who had done so. "Okay," she agreed evenly, acknowledging his leave. She had no reason to do otherwise, especially since he seemed so suddenly keen to get away from her.

She let the cat fall from her arms, to land gracefully on the floor and trot over to his master. The smaller feline seemed to sense that they would be leaving. He meowed and padded around Eoghan's feet as if eager to get to their duties. Her ears swept backwards towards the crown of her head, revealing the displeasure that her face did not. She did not necessarily want to be along in the strange land she still felt unwelcome in. "Thank you for the company," she said politely. She pulled the fur-lined hood of his cloak over her ears so they did not continue to give her away. Especially the way they perked back up when he indicated he had something for her.

Julianna held her hands out to receive the offering. The object wasn't too heavy, and intricately carved. She turned it over in her hands and inspected the fine details on the surface. "Call you?" She frowned, unsure of how she was supposed to signal him with the carving he had given her. "It is some kind of horn?" She cupped the horn in both hands. Bringing it up to her mouth she blew into one end of it, but no sound came out. Julianna frowned at him. "It's not working."

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - saronym - 07-31-2019

Eoghan watched her inspect the heirloom horn. He was pleased with the way the object looked in her tanned and delicate-looking hands. She had small and pretty little fingers. Though he knew their appearances were deceiving. Though pretty they were deadly with a dagger. His brow arched as she lifted the horn to her lips to test it out. He could tell the way she was handling it that it wouldn’t produce any sound that way. A mischievous smile took his mouth.

“You are a smart woman, you will figure it out.”

He took his own cloak which was draped over one of the chairs, and swung it around his shoulders, fastening it at his throat. He made a clicking sound at Frostfang with his tongue against the roof of his mouth. The cat perked to attention and circled around his leg, rubbing his body and tail against Eoghan as he went.

“Call me if you have need of me, Princess. Good day.” He gave her a formal nod before pulling the hood to his own cloak up to protect his ears and head from the morning cold. Eoghan departed with a swirl of his cloak and his cat trailing behind him.

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - megs - 07-31-2019

"I can't call you if I don't know how it works..." she mumbled to Eoghan's back. He was already at the door. His large stature filled the entirety of the frame. So much so that she barely felt a chill from the open door. There was also the warm redness in her face. As if just contemplating the sheer size of him was enough to make her blush.

He left with Frostfang at his heels. Leaving her alone once more in the cabin. She locked the door behind him.

She pushed her hood off again. Nothing to hide from anyone now. She used the kettle he had set and abandoned to make a tea of her own. A floral blend that she had been able to bring from home. The beverage, lightly sweetened with crystallized honey, and a chunk of hard bread would serve as a good enough breakfast.

Julianna took the horn back to the rug with her snacks. The crackle of the fire was a gentle backdrop to her fiddling with it. She traced the intricate designs with her fingers and inspected the leather cord attached to it. She blew on it a few more times; easier now to experiment since she was alone and didn't have to worry about looking foolish.

Still, no sound.

Julianna was beginning to wonder if it was a trick. She pondered the antique for an hour or so before there was a knock on the door. Her ears swiveled towards the sound and slowly she rose from the rug. Cautiously and quietly she moved to one of the foremost windows to peek out of it.

It was Lady Weatherfare. Julianna immediately pulled her hood back up over her ears before unlocking the door and allowing the other woman entry. Still holding the horn in one hand. "Good Morning, Lady Weatherfare. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - saronym - 08-25-2019

Ishara knew the young princess was a foreigner, so she put away the stab of insult she felt when the woman did not show her the proper greeting courtesies. She was smiling until her eyes went dead when they locked on the item in Julianna’s hand.

Just how did she come across that? Had she been going through Eoghan’s things? Had Eoghan left it behind in his trunk?

Ishara cleared her throat. “Good morning, dear.” She didn’t wait for invitation, but stepped forward expecting admittance. Her leather riding boots with hard soles clicked on the wooden flooring as she moved inside. Her dress coat and layered skirts swished at her feet as she moved. Her dress coat was a deep burgundy color that together with her hair made her look as if she were on fire. It was a rich fire though. Her station as the wife of the Thane was advertised by the fashionable bell sleeves and detailing.

“I brought you something to busy your hands while you’re here.” Ishara said as she crossed the room. She dropped a heavy satchel from her shoulder on to the table and passed a keen eye over the cabin, surveying what was changed. The smell was slightly different. She eyed the kettle by the fire.

She unclasped her dress coat and folded it neatly over a chair. Underneath the coat, she wore a simpler dress with a severe bodice that hugged her torso and arms down to the wrists. Freed of the coat, she picked up the kettle and put her face close to it and breathed in the herbs. A mixture she didn’t recognize.

“Something from home?” She set the kettle down again with a slight clatter. “How lovely.” She sighed, “I see you’re settling in.” She cocked her head. “How are you getting on?”

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - megs - 08-26-2019

Julianna was truly ignorant to how she should have received the Weatherfare matron. While she had intended no offense that perhaps did not excuse her, and she had unknowingly set a tone for the remainder of their interaction. She didn't notice the other woman's change in countenance when she spotted the horn, and Julianna stepped aside easily to allow her entry.

"You look charming today," she commented, genuinely, as she closed the door and followed behind her. The thane's wife wore a gorgeous overcoat and Julianna felt a stab of jealousy. Not at the coat itself, but that Ishara was able to dress so fine while she was reduced to a few much more basic items. Bland tunic dresses more suited to having her fit in with a commoner. While her velvet cape was nicer than most it was useless against the Eskran cold and therefore abandoned for the heavy cloak that Eoghan had loaned her. The princess voiced none of these thoughts and kept them off of her face.

Her face pinched in curious confusion when Ishara mentioned she had brought something to keep her busy. Why would she have done that? Julianna certainly didn't think of herself as needing busy work. Still holding the horn (she wasn't quite sure what to do with it. It seemed important and simply putting it down somewhere didn't feel right to her) she continued to follow Ishara as she milled around the cabin.

"Yes. It's a small bit of something I was able to bring with me." She didn't go on to explain the ingredients or benefits. She had a feeling that her company wasn't entirely interested. Merely making the rounds on her out of a sense of responsibility. She clutched the horn, holding it closer to her body.

"I am doing well, thank you," she answered simply. "I appreciate your visit."

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - saronym - 08-26-2019

“Thank you.” Ishara acknowledged Julianna’s compliment of her dress with simple words.

She listened with obvious patience to Julianna’s brief pleasantries. There was a brief but pregnant silence between them before Ishara clasped her hands together at her stomach. She glanced at the horn that Julianna was all but squeezing to her chest.

“Of course, dear.”

She paced back and forth four steps one way, and four back the other way to stop right back where she stood when she last spoke. “This is a bit … uncomfortable.” She cleared her throat. “You need some education. Lady is not a proper way to address me. A lady is ... any woman. That is very improper." Though she had tried to sound patient, the tone of her voice advertised that Ishara was very displeased. It wasn't about the greeting so much as the horn that Julianna clutched. The horn that belonged to her husband and her son.

"The proper way to address me is by Ceiledhia. Madam Ceiledhia Ishara. You curtsy -” she demonstrated a neat curtsy, dipping her head to present Julianna with the crown of her scalp before rising again, “-when you address your betters. When you address my husband you may use Jarl or Thane. Do not add his name to that title. Thane or Jarl, only. At times, on his left first finger my husband might wear a brass ring in the shape of a skull with flowers around it. When he wears that ring you will offer kiss it when you curtsy to show your respect. For Eoghan, you use Alfilius of Yesus. That means the first born son of the Thane of Yeusus. There is no need to touch myself or Eoghan or my daughter when you greet us. My daughter, should you meet her, prefers Mistress Victoria. ‘Yes madam’ or ‘Yes Ceiledhia’ when I give you instructions. ‘Yes Alfilus. Yes, my Thane…yes Mistress’” She rattled off the etiquette rapidly without stopping to see if Julianna was picking it all up.

She hardly let the lesson sink in before she changed subjects, “Now, where did you find that horn? It belongs to my family. It is Eoghan’s. I’ll return it to him.” She held her hand out for Julianna to relinquish the artifact.

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - megs - 08-26-2019

Julianna had not been feeling any sort of way about their interaction, but she could tell something was bothering Ishara. She picked up on the air of displeasure. It made her tail sway an anxious rhythm back and forth at her knees. Green eyes tracked the severe redhead as she paced.

For a moment, Julianna looked taken aback when Ishara mentioned she was being improper. Her ears stood at attention, which was obvious even beneath the hood that hid them. Her face softened into a neutral mask as she was lectured with a barely patient tone. While she absorbed the impromptu etiquette lesson with silent indifference Julianna was annoyed by the audacity of the older woman. Julianna was a princess, and while she had never felt particularly motivated to advertise or abuse her station, Ishara's haughty attitude pushed her close to doing so. She felt more like a prisoner in that moment than a guest.

Ishara wanted the respect due to her station, but did not seem interested in returning the favor when Julianna was technically above her socially. Her ears dropped again. Moreover, Julianna found that respect was earned rather than simply owed and Ishara had been mostly rude to her since her arrival. She found herself caught in her thoughts between wanting to be grateful and keep the peace and wanting to demand her own owed respect.

"Yes Ceiledhia," she replied, having made her decision. She did not (and would not) curtsy. She looked thoughtful for a moment and then hummed. "You may call me... princess." Was the only sass she added to the conversation.

Julianna did not move to give up the horn. Still holding close to her body with both hands. "Eoghan gave it to me," she explained. "He said I could use it to call him, if I were to have need of him."

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - saronym - 08-27-2019

Ishara’s mouth pressed into a thin line as she endured the brunt of Julianna’s back talk. She would not be calling anyone Princess. Certainly not haughty little girls sent by begging parents to a foreign land for safety. Certainly not.

She let the etiquette subject drop.

They were at an impasse.

“Eoghan gave it to you?” Her tone was one of disbelief, almost as if she was accusing Julianna of stealing, though somehow she couldn’t doubt it. How dare Eoghan be so flip with the horn. “He is not your servant. To answer at your beck and call. That horn belongs to my family and he shouldn’t have given it away.” She thrust her hand a little more forward, expecting Julianna to relinquish the artifact.

RE: A Princess for Wintersfeast [Closed] - megs - 08-27-2019

Green eyes briefly flickered to the outstretched hand. She was determined now to keep the horn for herself. Only because Ishara was so upset to see her with it. "I did not say I would be using it," she argued. "I was only explained why it was given." Still, she held on to the alabaster antique, feeling as if Ishara would not be satisfied with any argument she could have made.

"Madam Ceiledhia, have I done something to offend you?" She used the honorifics she had just learned to make a point. That she felt her efforts were not being matched. The princess intended to get to the bottom of whatever their issues were and resolve them. "Intentionally? I know that I do not fully understand your culture, but have I not been trying?" Her tail swayed back and forth in wide arcs, signaling that she was becoming increasingly upset. "Dar- the Thane, has known my family for many decades and agreed to let me hide here. I won't be treated like...like an unwelcome fugitive!"

Julianna thrust the horn into the space between them. "Take it then," she insisted with some urgency. "If it is going to do nothing but sow discord in my time here. I do not need or expect your son or anyone else to be in service of me!"