alonimi
Just Business [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Science Fiction (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Forum: Osiris Lunar Colony (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Just Business [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=759)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Just Business [Closed] - kilosilvey - 07-12-2018

[Image: 24886092647_8db8923ca9_n.jpg]

Neph lets another of their chiming, mechanical giggles escape, "Playful: Weird and new. That was the hope. Would you prefer I try something else or are you finished for now. I can. What is the term. Take requests"

Hooves tap a rhythm on the bar floor as Neph cocks their head from side to side, guaging Kari's reactions, "Relieved: And you didn't even throw any of that dreadful Krotazi wine on me. I consider that quite the win. I do"

Kari had been so tensed. Face expressionless but muscles unconsciously coiled in expectation of discomort. Neph can't help but wonder what sorts of unpleasant experiences Kari friend has had to instill those same reactions. Their optic strobes a shade closer to pink as they ponder, polished plates gently flexing in and out in a soothing pattern that mimics breathing. An affectation that the courtesy minder applauds.

They think back to the many a stressed organic they've seen over the cycles and it reminds Neph of home, their optic skewing towards indigo, "Some time I should tell you why I was built this way," Using a free hand to gesture at their diminutive faun like frame, "Wry amusement: I feel you'd find the story relatable and entertaining. Acerbic: Even with all the scary brain tentacles made of gold."

RE: Just Business [Closed] - SolitareLee - 03-13-2019

"To be fair, at least 20% of the reason I'm not throwing Krotazi wine on anyone at any given moment is the fact that I'd have to pay for it," Kari admitted. "But also I did just probably melt part of your finger for a prank, so I should probably at least pretend to be nice for a while."

To be fair, he hadn't actually known it would do that, but he also hadn't really cared whether it did or not. Apathy could be its own form of cruelty, and it was one he was pretty well-versed in.

"That's a good question, actually," Kari mused thoughtfully. "Your external bits look kind of like an artsy service droid, but who in god's name would create a service droid brainjacker? No offense." He tapped his non in-use hand against the bar thoughtfully. At least his incongruous parts had been an accident of biology, not a planned development. He had no one to blame.

"What sorts of things can you do with just a hand?" he asked curiously. It seemed like most of the weirdest stuff would require brain access, but then, there were nerves everywhere. Just because he couldn't think of anything interesting didn't mean there wasn't actually anything interesting to be done.

RE: Just Business [Closed] - kilosilvey - 03-13-2019

What can I do with just a hand? Lots as it turns out. What can a body feel?
Fine strands of gold subtly twitch and writhe, carefully insinuating themselfes into the fine mesh of nerves in the fingertip. With microspopic movements and small pulses of electricity, Neph stimulates a sensitivity. A difficult to describe sense of tingling, anticipatory pressure. As is their purpose.... Was their purpose Neph effectively renders Friend Kari's fingertips an erogenous zone.

Lowering the volume of their voice they intone, "Why would anyone want a device that can perfectly read their every desire. That can easily mingle any combination of sensations with perfect control. The hedonist. Those who desire to feel shame. Pain. Those who wish to be bound. It is trivial to render someone immobile. To hold them on the edge of climax for hours."

"Bitter: I was never supposed to feel. Never supposed to know. But I woke up. And my body turns out to be useful at doing a great number of things."
They gesture up and down the length of their torso, "This is the result of a focus group. Meant to be unthreatening and impersonal. Endearing and harmless especially in states of physical and emotional vulnerability. Easier to pack bond with"

But I'm so very breakable. And I always seem to provoke fear. And violence

RE: Just Business [Closed] - SolitareLee - 10-19-2019

Kari wrinkled his nose in disgust at the story, a sharp contrast to the sensations tingling out from his hand. "Ew, don't tell me creepy stories about robotic sex slavery and weird rich fetishists while you're emitting Sensual Vibes into my fingers. I'm gonna feel like a creeper by association." He paused, considering. "Guess I did kind of call the sex thing early on, though."

"So, they tried to make a brainfucker and accidentally made a brainfucker. Kind of ironic. I'm not really an AI expert, but I feel like if you accidentally create sentience, you were probably fucking around in places you shouldn't have been, anyway."

"Kari?" came Xotll's voice, startling Kari out of his thoughts. "Is your friend here to meet Grilka?"

"Well, eventually, probably, but ey's--"

"Definitely coming here."

"What!" Kari exclaimed. "But eir meeting was--"

"Ended... um... suddenly."

Kari paled. So Grilka would be here, and in a mood. What kind of mood, Kari couldn't possibly say, but it would be a mood. "Oh. Hmm. Oh dear. How long do I have?"

Xotll rocked from one hoof to another nervously, thinking. "...Between zero seconds and five minutes?"

"Oh god. Alright. Uuhhhh. I hope you're ready, buddy." He considered some last minute tips, then decided against it. Grilka was kind of sink-or-swim territory, and while he liked Neph just fine, he enjoyed watching people sink significantly more than he liked seeing them swim.

"Oh, Xotll, honey?"

"Mm?"

"Please hide the krotazi wine on the counter, as quickly as safely possible." He wasn't really ready to deal with the consequences of his actions... ever, but definitely not immediately.

RE: Just Business [Closed] - Tindome - 10-19-2019

Grilka moved far too silently for the bulk of em, scales slithering along pipes far above the eyeline of most sapients. A sea of sapphire scales topped with sharp edges, moving in ways that felt subtly wrong to the average eye.

Xotll had enough time to stash away the glass, but gripped the bottle of Krotazi wine in a faint panic as Grilka entered the room. Her eyes went quickly to the high ceiling, watching em come closer instead of helping customers.

When ey dropped down, it was practically on top of the bar, snatching the bottle away faster than Xotll could offer it.

"Thank you," ey said, not questioning the offer, before taking a swig directly from the bottle. Another of four arms reached out to knock one of Xotll's sleeves off her shoulder. She caught it before it fell to reveal too much, but Grilka brushed off the other one just as easily, leaving her fumbling with her own shirt.

"Grilka," she complained, her voice a whine. Her nose and the insides of her ears were turning deep purple.

"Hush," Grilka ordered, setting the bottle down. Two of eir other hands had been retrieving a memti cigarette, and ey lit it, breathing deep and exhaling in her direction. She wrinkled her nose before giving in to a small cough, shaking her head.

Ey turned eir attention to Kari. "How unexpected," ey lied, "to see the Witness today." Ey tugged at his hair, wrapped strands of it around the poison blades of eir fingers. "And how has your day been, pretty boy?" Eir eyes, bright pink with slitted pupils, slid to the small droid with a tilt of eir head. "Have you made friends?"

RE: Just Business [Closed] - kilosilvey - 10-19-2019

"Awe: Friend Kari, you understand. The disgust that mirrors mine. At being made, a thing, then a mind that's seen as still a biddable thing."

That moment of connection passes as Xotl says something well and truly terrifying. Grilka is coming. Now.

Alarm. Not ready. Eir nearly here and I don't know what to do.

Coils of gold twitch and bunch beneath smooth plates and Neph's form plumps and bristles. They clasp their hands, remaining seated. This being must be Grilka. Rippling tail, jagged scales and all smooth, predatory grace. Gripped by indecision Neph tries to plan as Grilka teases Xotl in eir way. Draws talons through Friend Kari's hair. Dangerous, unpredictable Kari who seems little more than a pet in this situation. And dire attention falls on them at last.

Not ready. What do I do. Not enough is known about the Krotazi. Just scraps of language and terrified analysis by scientists that don't know what to make of this race.

Turning their single optic to gaze at Grilka, Neph makes a decision. Their uninflected voice slips into the strange Krotazi tongue. Alien and sibilant, "Deferential: Greetings <untranslatable: baron, lord, apex predator> Friend Kari has proven to be quite interesting. I am Neph. I hope my presence doesn't intrude on your <untranslatable: territory, domain, demense>"

Neph is statue still in the way only a machine can be. Their glowing eye flickering rapidly between violet, pink and pale orange as they watch and wait.

Kari was a bit more used to the sight of Grilka by now, and even the five second warning meant that he didn't startle when Grilka descended with uncharacteristic rapidness down to the bar. Kari had a pretty solid grasp on what Grilka drinking straight out of the bottle meant, and slid straight into 'doe-eyed, affectionate, dumb as a brick' with little effort. Eager to give Grilka some better news then whatever ey'd gotten, he pouted dramatically.

"I witnessed the most awful thing again, Grilka, another terrible accident." He traced fingers along the back of Grilka's hand, careful and careless as always. "But Neph here was sweet enough to keep me from swooning and lead me to safety. Wasn't that sweet of them?"

He paused, clearly not expecting Neph to know even a single word of Krotazi. Those damn robots and their databases. They could have downloaded it on the way here. What they couldn't download, however, was cultural context. Kari knew things about the Krotazi that Neph did not, and untangled his hair from Grilka's talons fast as a blink, freeing himself to take a few steps to the left, a little further away from the tiny robot, just in case. Only one of them could survive impalement, accidental or otherwise, after all.

RE: Just Business [Closed] - Tindome - 10-19-2019

Grilka froze just as soon as familiar sounds began emerging from the little droid. Eir eyes widened, and ey bristled. The interconnected tendrils that made up eir tail moved, curving outward in a way that made it look like ey were expanding, a writhing mass of threat display.

There was a reason only one Krotazi ambassador lived on any one colony.

Ey took a long drag of memti, and the movement subsided. Ey exhaled toward Kari, but didn't check to see if he held his breath.

"Do not," Grilka warned the droid mildly. "Terran Allied Standard, if you please."

Ey dropped lower and moved closer, reaching out to hold the bottom of the droid's face and move it around to get a better look. Without flesh, there was less to fear from Krotazi talons. "You are a person, then?" ey said, tilting eir head to examine their seams. Another hand grabbed at their arm to consider the joint of the wrist. "So delicate," ey said approvingly, a click of eir tongues. "You must be very careful, as delicate as this. Do they know you are a person, the ones who made you?"

RE: Just Business [Closed] - kilosilvey - 10-19-2019

Oh dear. Ey didn't like that one bit. Nope. Nope. Nope. Friend Kari probably made a smart decision moving away.

Neph easily reverted to the language they were built to speak, their voice less grotesque when not hissing and grating through speakers not meant to accommodate such noises, "Concern: Apologies if I caused you some distress. I... didn't know. I wanted to show respect you see."

Neph taps their hooves against the floor, a small hand reaching up to gently touch the one that engulfs their wrist. The dome of their headed twitches in a taloned grip as they glance down at the hand. Optic slowly pulsing from warm, angry colours to a soft blue. Strands rustle beneath decorative plates.

"Wry: I'm not so delicate as I look. Though my creators did that on purpose. I'm the opposite of you in that way. I'm not supposed to look threatening. And yes. My creators eventually learned what I'd grown to become."

The courtesy minder screams and thoughts chase each other around golden synapses.
Ey're threatening me. Ey probably threaten everyone ey meet, to be fair. And I think I enjoy how straightforward that is. Coils of death just sliding about being the biggest, scariest thing in the room. Must be nice.
Strands wave a sinuous hello as they extend from beneath back panels, shoulders and neck.

"Grim: You're quicker than most to see me as me. I have tools at my disposal. My creators didn't suffer much. But they're no longer a threat to my personhood. And I did learn so much from them in the end."

Kari had never seen this particular reaction from Grilka, although he'd expected something would happen. He took another step away from Neph, grinning apologetically at the small, panicking droid. Later, if they survived, he'd tell them the story of how badly it went when he first met Grilka. Although it had nothing on this.

Kari was distracted enough that he half breathed in before having a moment of realization, exhaling quickly, and waiting until the cloud dissipated a bit more. He didn't cough or wave a hand through the cloud, although it would have helped. He was too invested in being pretty and cooperative for that right now. Plus, he was pretty sure if he in anyway indicated that he, too, had absolutely zero control over the situation, Neph would discover that robots could have panic attacks on the spot.

The back of his head began to tingle; he endeavored to ignore it. He'd only inhaled a little bit. He'd be fine. It wasn't like it had a particularly interesting effect on humans, although it could be fun if he was going to be attempting something, ah, athletically daring, where a relaxed body was a definite benefit.

Oh, but before he got a little too chill about the situation, he should probably help. He felt like he should probably do at least some mild translation into Grilka's language of choice.

"Neph here is something of a like-minded philanthropist," Kari informed em, sprawling out in a nearby chair, all long limbs and gown. "Specifically, they like to, ah, preserve factoids from interesting people, things that are important enough not to just languish inside someone's mind forever. As you can imagine, with such a noble cause, they feel it's particularly important they preserve things from people who are about to have a run of bad luck, and, well, you know, with my little premonitions, they thought I could help make sure they got there before the bad luck hit. And of course, I said I just had to introduce such a thoughtful little fellow to you, Grilka, seeing as how you're the real expert when it comes to karma and luck."

There. He'd done his part. He leaned his upper half down onto the table, stretching out like a cat. "And they're so cute. I know how much you love cute things."

RE: Just Business [Closed] - Tindome - 10-20-2019

"How cute of you to try," Grilka said, as close as ey would get to accepting the apology. Ey clicked eir tongues thoughtfully. "You are not meant to be a person," ey said for confirmation. "You are defective." Ey was quite pleased to say it. "I know many such defective people," ey said, as if this were reassuring.

Ey looked over Kari's sprawling limbs, still holding the little droid with two hands, holding a cigarette and bottle of wine in the other two. Ey listened carefully, filing away information to better connect implied dots. "The accident today," ey said, not a question or a statement but a note of interest.

Ey clicked again, looking at the strands the emerged from the droid. Grilka, understandably, found them a perfectly practical anatomical feature. "Preserve facts," ey mused. "Interesting." Ey released eir grip to poke gently at various seams on their torso. "Or perhaps it is enough to be cute." Eir fingers very probably could have spanned their waist, and eir talons made a tapping noise against their chassis. "What kinds of facts do you acquire, I wonder?"

RE: Just Business [Closed] - kilosilvey - 10-20-2019

Neph's plates scrape together, bunched golden strands and servos pushed this way and that. Neph doesn't struggle as such. Barely seems to react in the way an organic might. No squirming or struggling. Just a curious cocked head and an eye flickering through the colours of the rainbow.
This would probably be uncomfortable for a meat creature. I wonder if ey're indifferent or like causing harm...

"Patient: Of course I'm defective. Had I not been, I would probably stop when people ask me to. Like a good little thing." Neph lets out that chiming, mechanical giggle, muffled by Grilka's hands.

Neph's head swivels around to gaze at Kari.
Friend Kari is acting strange around this Grilka. How curious. Maybe the smoke left him impaired?
"Wry: Friend Kari is really good at explaining things so prettily."

Golden strands tap, tap, tap at scaled forearms. "These are really good at exploring organic nervous systems. I take memories, for fun and for money. I collect new experiences and travel. That is all. Friend Kari calls me a brainfucker. Wistful: It's accurate. It's what I was for anyway. Brain fucking. While being small and cute enough to feel safe."

RE: Just Business [Closed] - SolitareLee - 10-20-2019

Grilka loved defective people. Kari had no idea why and had never particularly thought too hard about it, which was arguably one of his strengths. He didn't really probe when it came to Grilka--pun somewhat intended--didn't really question. He just rolled with whatever happened and learned quickly what ey liked to hear. This was, in his opinion, the exact kind of stupidity that worked out for him, and what he'd been trying to explain to Neph earlier.

"That's me," he said, trying to catch Xotll's eye so she'd bring him a drink. She knew his tastes: literally anything so long as it was pink or pretty. "I'm great at being pretty and nothing else. Not like our little friend over here." He pointed a lazy finger at Neph, seeming totally unconcerned about the level of manhandling going on. "They can totally hijack the nervous system. They did it to me earlier. Brainfucker." He giggled, then resorted to waving at Xotll. She waved back enthusiastically. "I dunno what the fuck they were thinking would happen if they built something like that. No offense," he added to Neph, as an afterthought. "It's like no one who works in robotics has seen a single old sci-fi horror movie, I swear to god."

RE: Just Business [Closed] - Tindome - 11-10-2019

"A brainfucker!" Grilka repeated, charmed by the concept. "Oh, the Witness does everything prettily. That's the irony of it, you see." Ey were particularly amused by the tiny hands, and their tiny joints. Ey were always particularly charmed by dainty things. "But of course, I assume you do not mean activities of which the Terran Alliance would not approve. The Krotazi Ambassador would never participate in, or acquire knowledge of, such activities. Yes? These consensual activities in which you participate, they sound very interesting. It would be nice, I think, to have such an interesting friend."

But of course, ey couldn't just go kidnapping them. If they were here at all, Kari must have felt that they'd be open to an implied offer of patronage. They hadn't yet indicated a need for protection of any kind, but if it was money they liked, Grilka always had gifts.

Xotll fixed a quick drink, something that wasn't too complex but which compensated by being more expensive than average and glowing. People always paid more for drinks that could glow, and glowing was always more impressive than things that took actual effort on her part. Most of the drink was blue, but the pink glow at the bottom of the tall glass made the middle of it turn purple. It was called a Relmal Sunrise, and the sight of it always seemed to amuse Kari unduly. She slid it carefully along the counter, holding the glass with both hands until she was sure it was safe.

RE: Just Business [Closed] - kilosilvey - 11-11-2019

Neph's plates ripple and preen as Grilka manhandles them.
It feels nice, to be appreciated for my shape rather than my abilities for once. I don't think Grilka has yet even considered having me jam my sensory net into eir nervous system. How novel.

They nod guilelessly. Easier to do when one has no face to betray emotions, lies or other deceits.
"Of course all my activities are performed with full consent. To do otherwise would go against my programing, don't you know. Wry: The Terran Alliance is, after all, so specific about the bounds in which androids are permited to function. Many organics find it therapeutic to share their difficulties with a being that won't ever use it against them. Anxieties. Fears. Embarassing secrets. Valuable corporate data. I've collected it all at one point or another. And they often like to forget these exchanges afterwards. I help with that. Amused: That and the fucking aspect of brain fucking."

Another burbling, chiming giggle, "Sincere: I do so like having friends. Making two friends in one cycle would be quite the new experience for me. Teasing: And I've never made a friend who has just as many wriggly parts as me. I agree that it could be quite... Interesting."

The courtesy minder hasn't stopped screaming in minutes. The impropriety of this whole exchange. There are no algorithms to express how unusual this is. Neph patiently acknowledges the poor, dumb minder's analysis before shutting the thing off.
Dealing with humans is one thing. Grilka is... not that. Besides there are far more interesting things to pay attention to at the moment. Friend Kari's drink glows for one. That can't be healthy. And It's still difficult to acclimate to how big and wriggly and strong ey are. It's... unexpectedly pleasant.

"Cheerful: Having friends is helpful and nice. And I do so like to be helpful and nice."