alonimi
Highest Bidder [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+--- Forum: Incomplete (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Thread: Highest Bidder [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=749)

Highest Bidder [Closed] - SolitareLee - 07-07-2017

[Image: a4VHIPj.png]

RE: Highest Bidder [Closed] - SolitareLee - 07-08-2017

Kari had what some might call a knack for getting into trouble. Part of it was being from a family rich enough to have full time personal bodyguards. Part of it was the places his obsession curiosity about the arcane got him. But most of it was just... his personality.

Valesport wasn't a safe city to be in, and Kari wasn't used to playing it safe to begin with. He'd had dozens of close calls, but rather than them making him more cautious, each one just sharpened his skills at squirming out of trouble through a combination of charm, underestimation, and just flat-out cash. The better he got at buying and lying his way out of trouble, the less scared of trouble he was. Oh, he still acted with an appropriate respect to those who had right to expect it, sure, but he'd long since stopped being scared of them. And Kari's list of "those who have right to expect respect" was perhaps shorter than some of Valesport's less powerful might wish.

Kari's bodyguard was nearby, taking care of one of those unfortunate few who absolutely refused to be bought or charmed. Kari had excused himself to a different alleyway, because he wasn't a fan of violence, disliked gore, and also was wearing a brand new skirt and had no desire to get blood on it or his heels. He was far enough away that he didn't have to hear any of the more visceral sounds of violence, as well. Instead, he lit up a smoke, leaned his forearm against a wall, waiting.

RE: Highest Bidder [Closed] - ambientmagic - 07-10-2017

Truth be told, Crow hated this part of the job. It was one thing when his target was another gang member or drug dealer his bosses wanted taken out. He could tell himself that it was for the best, that he was cleaning up the streets. He knew better, but it eased his conscience.

But something like this? This kid wasn't even doing anything illegal. Some rich girl who pissed off the wrong guy in a club or what the fuck ever, Crow didn't know. He didn't care. Knowing wasn't his job.

Thinking too much before a hit was always the worst part. Crow shook his head and thought about the dufflebag he kept in his top kitchen counter in his apartment downtown. He'd gotten the fake papers a month or two ago. Now all he needed was the cash to get out of this hellhole and start over somewhere else. That's what he needed to focus on.

Properly centered, he looked around for something he could use as a weapon. He had a gun on him, of course, but this poor girl deserved a quick blow to knock her out before he shot her. Less fuss, less noise. Less fear.

Crow grabbed a discarded length of pipe and started down the alleyway. He'd been told that she'd be there, waiting for a drug deal that would never come. The sound of scuffles slowed him to a soundless prowl. There wasn't supposed to be anyone else around, and he hadn't lived this long in the shady underbelly of Valesport without learning to be cautious.

Peering around the corner, he saw a tall, lean figure with long blonde hair leaning against the exposed brick wall, staring down the other end of the alleyway. A wreath of smoke curled around her head, stark against the ambient light of the city. No bodyguard. No nothing. Taking a deep breath, he stood and strode decisively down the alley toward her. No need to be stealthy now--he'd probably reach her before she could even turn around.

RE: Highest Bidder [Closed] - SolitareLee - 07-10-2017

Kari heard movement behind him, and was familiar enough with this sort of situation to narrow it down. Murderer, mugger, or rapist? The briefest glance over his shoulder at the man that was already too close suggested the first, given the length of pipe. That didn't guarantee a lack of the second two, mind, but Kari did have priorities. Robbed and raped meant nothing to a corpse.

Not wasting time spinning to face his attacker, he instead opted for, "Whoever you work for, I'm richer. And cuter." A pause in the movement of the air. He'd given the man reason to hesitate. Kari still didn't turn; it'd be a lot easier for him to feel safe backing out if Kari never got a look at his face, anyway. Given the pause, Kari decided to just keep talking, very quickly.

"I don't know who it was, but I'm richer." He paused. "Unless it was Jean, but it wasn't Jean." Jean was just always worthy of a caveat. "Whatever they paid you, or pay you, I can pay you more. Or, you can put that pipe through my skull. But I'll scream, and when I scream, my bodyguard will be here in about five seconds. That's absolutely enough time for you to kill me, or run away, but not both. So instead of all that drama, why don't you just tell me how much it'll cost for you to not hit me, and I'll give you that." Kari paused, again, and took a brief puff of his cigarette as he waited for an answer in the form of words or movement.