alonimi
Security Breach [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Security Breach [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=739)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - saronym - 05-22-2017

Renton turned the white glare of his smile on Julianna as she approached despite the fact that she looked angry. “Hey Jules-” he cooed at her before he was cut off when she snatched his cake pop away from him like an angry parent taking a toy away from an unruly child. His mouth shut with an audible clack of his teeth.

He gave her the pouty eyes over his tea that he immediately lifted to his face to hide behind as he sipped at it. Though he played at this little game with his demeanor, his ears were well trained on every word that passed between the group.

Emma Gagnon. Her full name at last and in communications it seemed. And she was a suspect, of course, she screamed suspect in the way she insisted on her lack of import. Not to mention the tension she carried in her shoulders; a bow string pulled taut before the kill.

Renton wondered who would go down and then immediately decided it wouldn’t be him.

“Julianna is my Public Relations agent.” He explained to Emma cheerfully and almost proudly. “And now she gets to be yours too, doesn’t that sound like fun?” His bright eyes turned back to the woman who matched him perfectly. “Could I-?” His manicured fingers reached for the dessert she’d taken for him.

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - megs - 05-22-2017

Darcy quickly and quietly, decided that his work was done. The commander had no interest in explaining himself to a floor agent, a compulsory enlistee, and an independent contractor. All of those titles were very low on the list of people he needed to please. He pushed his free hand into his pocket and used the other to sip at his coffee. He left the trio to introduce themselves. They were a smart bunch, he decided as he departed from the group with a curt nod, at least one of them was too smart. He assumed they would figure out the problem, before he figured it out for them.

Julianna’s ears pinned backwards as Darcy departed, after such scarce introductions. Her eyes tracked the back of his head as he disappeared out the doors and into the main lobby. She had questions and from what she could tell they all had questions.

Renton was reaching for the cake pop, she narrowed her eyes at him, expressing that the dessert was still off limits. There was an obvious sort of something between them that had more to do with being coworkers. Julianna looked to Emma, she attempted a smile, but she was obviously frazzled. “Yes, I'm a PR agent, and now it seems I'm yours. I don’t know what you did, or did not do, but Commander Weatherfare seems to think you would benefit from my assistance.”

She paused long enough to order a chai tea latte and another cake pop. She looked back to the duo before her. “So,” she took a small bit from the side of Ren’s cake pop, breaking through the frosting shell and denting the sphere he’d been intent to keep perfect as long as possible. She pushed the treat back at him. The action seemed to be a form of punishment. She took two steps closer to the pair, almost crowding them and lowering her voice to speak in confidence. Her ears pushed to attention.

Unfortunately, given Renton's history and now, Emma, your apparent acquaintance with him, I am forced to ask if either of you would know anything about the incident at Armas Industries?"

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - SolitareLee - 05-22-2017

Emma's protests and confusion went completely ignored, which was absolutely typical of how she tended to be treated, but no less frustrating from the frequency she encountered it. Her smile faded back into mild irritation as the Commander General turned and exited without so much as another word. She ran a frustrated hand through her hair, knocking fine strands loose from the meticulous bun she kept it pulled back in.

"A PR agent...? Why in god's name..." she muttered sourly, before turning her focus to her two new 'friends.'

"Acquaintance is a very strong word for it," Emma responded, leveling a long look at Agent Bell. "Given that we just met. Although that seems to be enough to make us colleagues." She paused, taking a long, long drink from her ridiculously highly caffeinated drink. She could tell she was going to need it. If Agent Bell wanted to, he could sell her out in a hot second, but she had no idea whether he considered 'Jules' worthy of being in on their new, shared, dirty little secret or not. She was more than happy to let him jump in here and explain the predicament.

Although she'd love to hear more about Renton Bell's--finally, she knew his first name wasn't just 'Ren'--history. And exactly what kind of a person she'd apparently fallen in with, through absolutely no choice of her own.

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - saronym - 05-23-2017

“Oh it’s definitely a ‘did do’ with this one.” Renton nudged Emma yet again trying to act playful. Though he and Emma both knew there was a nugget of truth to be had there. More than a nugget, a carat at least.

While Julianna put in her order, Renton was left with a moment of awkward silence between himself and his fellow thief. He merely smiled at her and rocked on his feet. Renton was left wondering at the second cake pop Julianna ordered as she bit into his in an obvious show of punishment. Why bite his when she'd ordered her own. He nonetheless accepted his defiled cake pop back and nibbled at it petulantly while Emma floundered at explanations.

“Armas?” He asked as if he’d never heard of the place. He gave a really good performance too. Saying the name as if he were testing it out for the first time. Clearly he’d decided to take the 5th and that had better earn him brownie points with grumpypants McEmmerton. “Do they make those fancy basketball shoes all the kids are about on Instagram these days?”

It was completely ridiculous to think that Renton had never heard of one of the largest weapons suppliers worldwide, and the biggest contract holder the CAF used for armaments. He nibbled more at his cake pop and gave Julianna a look that suggested he wouldn’t be saying any more on the subject.

“Oh look, here comes a hottie now.” He chimed, gazing over Julianna’s shoulder to the sweaty Brigadier General who was approaching the group like a barreling train.

The Brigadier General, in fact, had also heard about the snafu going on with Armas and immediately suspected Renton. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and et cetera, as they say. Owen had come from the P.T. training session that Renton had suggested he and Emma take part in watching. The frowning general’s grey CAF t-shirt tucked into his urban camouflage fatigues was sweat soaked and stuck to his chest and the curve of his back.

“Miss Maxillion, Agent Bell.” he greeted them as if they were ordinary employees of the CAF to him, before turning his gaze to the uncomfortable looking woman with the bun. His eyes flicked to her ears and then to the I.D. badge that was turned around.

“Display your identification, agent.” He barked at her. “Same for you Bell.” He directed Renton to correct his I.D. without even taking his gaze off the unknown woman.

Something was up.

“Someone want to tell me why we’re all grouped up here in the cafe?” He looked to Julianna to answer the question since Renton had taken to finally taking a big bite out of his cake pop to occupy his mouth and excused himself from any explanations. Owen’s disapproving look was quickly directed the cake pop in Julianna’s hand. The one Renton had was practically demolished, but hers was perfect and he wanted it.

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - megs - 05-24-2017

Julianna shrugged, knowing full well that matter was out of any of their hands, and that the Commander’s decision was final. Her ears pushed to attention, and she attempted another smile. This one was much more convincing than the last. Renton looked downright petulant with his defiled cake pop and that apparently made her feel better. “There’s nothing to be done about it now,” she chimed pleasantly, gesturing with the unopened cake pop. Her tea rest, untouched, on the counter, because her hands were still full of files and her own belongings. It would be cold long before she ever got to it.

She flashed a bored look to Renton as he pretended to be unfamiliar with the company. It was laughable for him to expert her to think he was blissfully unaware of a weapons manufacturer that was leading in all bids to the C.A.F and just so happened to be controlled by their boyfriend’s ex-wife.

“You’ll have to come by my office to fill out some paperwork,” she explained to Emma, letting Renton play oblivious for now. “But if you have no need for my services, we won’t be seeing very much of each other.” The lilt of her tone had gone almost too sweet. Conveying what she wasn’t with her actual words. That Renton was a suspect, and unfortunately for Emma, she was new and mousey, and seen conversing with him too recently.

Julianna didn’t need to look over her shoulder and track Renton’s gaze to know that Owen was coming up behind her. Even before he announced the approach of a hottie, baby blue eyes had lit up in such a way that reserved for the grumpy general.

Owen stopped and stood next to her, and that was all he did. Her ears drooped off the side of her head and her expression fell when his only acknowledgement of their presence was to say their names. Julianna was pouting, somewhat. An almost imperceptible downward curve at the corner of her mouth. She was focused very pointedly on Renton’s tie clip.

“Good morning, Brigadier General,” she replied, tightly, since that was the tone he was setting for this interaction.

“You just missed Commander Weatherfare,” she explained, turning her attention away from Renton and letting her eyes fall upon Emma. “He was just introducing me to my newest client Agent Emma Gagnon. She's in communications.” Once again, she gestured with the cake pop, which was when she noticed that Owen seemed to be watching it. “But, we were all about to return to our duties I’m sure.” Better to bring the gathering to a quick conclusion before Owen’s mood soured.

Julianna knew that Owen wanted the dessert she held, but she was lax to give it to him after his cold approach. The facts however were she didn’t want it, she had purchased it specifically for him, and his mood would improve a half increment if she just handed it over. With a brief, blink and you missed it, jutting of her bottom lip, she pushed the cake in Owen’s direction.

“Renton, I will need to see you in my office later, as well.”

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - SolitareLee - 05-24-2017

"As far as I can tell, my primary offense seems to be standing in your vicinity," Emma said archly, because literally this entire situation was his fault and she was getting a little pissed off about it. If he would just stop being nearby when she was trying to go about her business--both the other night and this morning--she would be a much happier, more obscure person.

She fixed Miss Maxillion with a much more pleasant look. "Alright, well, I suppose it would be ridiculous to say no to a free PR agent. Maybe you can help me manage my tweets," she added jokingly. She didn't actually even tweet. Who did? She had nothing to say to the internet at large, anyway.

Unfortunately for her, she would have no chance to get the fuck away from the apparently cursed Agent Bell, because this goddamn coffee shop was a really happening place. In walked another goddamn general. It took her a moment longer to identify him--it was difficult when there were so many bland white men in command--but she was fairly certain this was Brigadier General Hart. He looked just as irritated as the first General to show up and glare at her.

God fucking damnit.

At least this one didn't know her by sight.

She looked confused, for a moment, then glanced down at her badge, which was still flipped around. "Oh!" she exclaimed, then quickly flipped it back, as if it had been an innocent mistake. Things got flipped around when you walked. It was on a lanyard. Things happened. Not that any of them would believe this perfectly reasonable explanation, because no one seemed to believe any lies told within a 20 foot radius of Renton Bell.

She did wish they'd stop all glaring at her like she was the oddity, though. She was literally just standing here. She hadn't asked for this shit. She'd only been here for six months.

She was content to stay quiet during the rest of the interaction. The point of a PR agent was to talk to scary people for her, yes? If she was going to be saddled with one, might as well make use of it. "Under the radar" was a ship that had sailed pretty thoroughly at this point. Ugh. Ugh.

She did note the way her new agent reacted to the Brigadier General, though. It was, uh... not good! Not good. She looked at him like an enthusiastic puppy and then a rebuffed cat--not to be racist--in turn. Her eyes flicked between the two of them as they interacted, mildly unimpressed. Aaaand she even gave him her cake pop. Mmhmm. Right. Great. Just. Great.

So she was saddled with a PR agent that was either fucking an angry Brigadier General or really wanted to be. And an agent who was apparently so suspicious that everyone in the building convened on him when a major break-in occurred, who had made her guilty by association.

She took a longer drink from her coffee, vaguely wishing it was both stronger and possibly alcoholic.

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - saronym - 05-27-2017

Renton looked sulky while he fixed his own identification tag as ordered by the Brigadier General. He hid his displeasure behind finishing off his cake pop and drinking his tea. The techie remained silent. Here he was getting in trouble for the mistakes of some rando communications agent.

Fine Wednesday morning this turned out to be. Something told him, of course, she wasn’t quite a rando. Well, he had her name and her job, and access to all the employee data files, so he was sure to find out sooner or later some tidbits about her.

Owen’s fingers brushed over Julianna’s as he accepted the cake pop from her. He’d definitely noted the little pout that she’d given him before hand, so he rewarded her with that little touch for her obedience. Seemed fair, to him.

“I see.” He said when informed what the social gathering was about. He took a large bite from the cake pop and surveyed the two undoubtedly guilty agents while he chewed. “I hope you have an alibi for last night or Miss Maxillion here will be managing much more than your social media posts.” He was focused on Agent Gagnon while he spoke but the warning was also for Renton.

Owen took one more bite of the cake pop leaving about a quarter of it left. He then offered it back to Julianna to finish off should she want it. His free hand formed into an index finger that swayed back and forth between Renton and Emma.

“There’s a connection here. And I don’t like it.” This he told to Julianna as if he was pointing out the problem that she would be solving in her role as P.R. Agent to them both. “On a related note, I need to see you later about Armas.” Owen added. “The CAF will, no doubt, be issuing a statement about the attack.”

He glanced pointedly at the two on trial.

“You -” he jabbed an index finger at Renton, “Will be assigned to running breach tactics on our security systems this week and will issue a full report at a Central Command staff meeting on Friday afternoon.” His finger turned to Emma. “You, Agent, will do whatever undoubtedly vital -” he couldn’t have sounded more sarcastic. If he didn’t know your name on sight you weren’t important. “- tasks that are assigned to you. And will cooperate fully with Miss Maxillion’s requests of you.”

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - megs - 05-29-2017

That touch was not enough. It was never enough, but she let her hand curl around the files against her and smoothed her expression into something more professionally neutral. She glanced at Emma. It didn’t take a genius to realize that there was something unprofessional in that exchange. Green eyes tracked to Renton, he was sulking. Suddenly, and all at once she was exhausted with all three of them. It wasn’t as if the issue would be settled while they stood in the cafe, anyway.

She rolled her eyes at the comment about social media accounts.

While she was lost in her thoughts, Owen was pushing the cake pop back in her direction. She didn’t want it. A half-eaten cake pop did not soothe the rebuffed way she was feeling, but she took it from him anyway. Ears pinned backwards briefly as he started dishing out orders.

“If we’re lucky it’s nothing,” she said of the supposed connection he sensed. Her chin lifted a touch, jaw clenching. “I will draft a statement and set up a meeting with Ms. Tiesel,”she finished. Sassier than normal; than truly necessary. She brushed invisible dirt away from her skirt.

“I need to speak with Agent Duparti concerning Agent Gagnon’s employee files,” this was apparently the indignant P.R. agent’s preface to her departure. Amelia Dupart was the head of the communications department and Emma's boss. Her tail snapped with an irritated twitch, her ears pushed to attention.

“Have a lovely day, agents. Brigadier general.” She nodded to each of them in turn, before spinning on her heel and departing from the group. The cake pop was discarded in the trash as she pushed her way out of the cafe.

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - SolitareLee - 05-30-2017

Commander General Darcy had been terrifying, and his suspicion of her had made her beyond nervous, because she really was NOT the kind of person who should have been suspicious. She also wasn't the kind of person who could afford to be suspicious, as airtight as the seal between her and her previous life was. The Brigadier General, however, was so out and out aggressively rude that she barely had it in her to be intimidated. He was trying too damn hard. The difference between a Islander and a human, right there... Lower ranking but three times the undeserved ego.

None of this showed in her slightly concerned, but still polite and properly submissive expression, of course, but... ugh. "An alibi?" she asked blinking. "Um... yes, sir, I suppose so," she said, as if she'd never thought of anything as an 'alibi' in her life. She did, too, because she wasn't an idiot. "I'll go into the details with Miss Maxillion, I suppose," she said, glancing questioningly over at the other woman as if she wasn't sure she was doing this right.

But Miss Maxillion was a little too busy having a lovers spat with the Brigadier General, it seemed. Emma watched the cake pop neutrally, not much caring for what it represented in relation to her and the people she'd now be a few steps closer to. The woman announced her plans and quite literally stormed off, ears down and tail twitching. Had she known Agent Bell better, she would have loved to send him an elf-whispered comment about someone being in the dog house tonight. Alas. No friends for the antisocial.

"Absolutely, sir," was all she had to say to the Brigadier General's "orders," which were really just an excuse for him to belittle her. She was ill-suited to military life, particularly one with so many humans around. But fortunately, she was very good at acting. "If that's all, I'll go off to do... that now." She had very nearly mimicked the way he'd said 'very important' work. Probably not smart. He didn't seem like a man with a sense of humor.

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - saronym - 06-01-2017

Owen’s instructions were heard. The cake pop had been eaten. Julianna had walked away. Welp, his work here was done.

“Agents.” A quick curt nod of his head and the general excused himself.

Renton was left standing with Emma munching the last bit of his cake pop after the storm of personalities had passed.

“So anyway,” he smiled charmingly at her. “Another great day at CAF HQ, no?”

Renton took a sip of his tea while blue eyes surveyed the crowd around. Nobody too close for a private remark. He risked it.

First a pointed look at the television still discussing the break at Armas.

“What’s your game plan then?” He asked cordially but with the full implication that it was she who needed to mitigate her mistake, not him. Because, obviously, he had made no mistakes.

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - SolitareLee - 06-04-2017

Emma ran an increasingly strained hand over her head. This was... well, it wasn't good. Any amount of attention was bad. But as much as this felt like a catastrophe, the most important bits of her were still secure. She just needed to find out what kind of evidence of a break in they had. Probably something with the digital files Agent Bell took, a security system on the computer he overlooked. Or, if they'd both done something to the cameras, not realizing the other was there...

In any case, evidence of a break in did not mean evidence of her breaking in. Or even him, because she was now absolutely confident that Agent Bell would drag her down with him. It appeared to be what he did.

She sighed, and then her voice sounded in his ear, her lips unmoving. An elven trick she rarely used at work despite its obvious convenience, because humans loathed any reminder that elves were a thing that existed and were ostensibly better than them at certain things. "I would say my plan was to get away from you, but I think we're a little late for that, Agent Bell. If you're ready to stop being irritating and compare notes--" She spoke aloud, quietly but within the range of normal humans' hearing. "Perhaps we could meet for lunch? I doubt the soldiers will still be running laps, but we can probably find something interesting to do."

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - saronym - 06-11-2017

The smile that never wavered on Renton’s face seemed fixed as if carved into stone. It was pleasant looking enough but was cold and unmoving. He was not keen on being called irritating. Blue eyes blinked slowly. He could feel his inner bitch being brought to life, drawn out as if summoned by the calling of this ultra bitch he was dealing with now.

“Your plan should have been covering your tracks, but unfortunately your plans don’t seem to be going so well do they?” His smile briefly turned into a victorious smirk. Just a moment of that inner bitch before it was back to neutral charming.

He pulled out his phone and typed a few quick text messages to Julianna noting that he would need to cancel their lunch plans for the day.

>> raincheck on lunch? Sorry babe. : (
>> someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning amirite?
>>what was with that cake pop bit?

Renton shrouded his cancellation in discussion regarding their boyfriend’s sour attitude that was just on display.

“I canceled my lunch plans.” He announced cheerfully. “So Emma, what kind of food do you like? There’s a cute little cafe down the street ran by this lil sweet granny who makes the best sandwiches cut into little triangles and her soups are amazing. It’s called Sweet Pea have you ever been?” Now his tone of voice had changed completely to friendly as he made lunch location recommendations like they were old friends.

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - SolitareLee - 06-11-2017

Well, huh. Look at that. She'd irritated the irritating. "I covered my tracks just fine," she whispered, straight to his ear. She didn't like taking chances. ...Wasn't that the understatement. "But just mine. I didn't take into consideration someone else breaking in the same damn night. And you're the one who broke into their computers! I took a single very minor file." She rubbed her head again. The caffeine was not helping the headache. She hadn't really bothered to sleep after coming home the night before. She rarely did. "Never mind."

Out loud, she said, "That sounds... fine. We'll go there. We can talk more then. You heard the Brigadier General." She sighed again, then forced a strained sort of smile. "Work, work, work."

---

The Sweet Pea was very wholesome, in that little downtown cafe sort of way. Flowers in the windows and a menu drawn in multicolored chalk. It would feel a bit weird to be discussing crimes in a place like this, but she'd discussed worse crimes in weirder places.

Emma sat in a window seat where she'd be plainly visible, waiting for Agent Bell to show up. The morning's caffeine was wearing off, and exhaustion was beginning to set in again. She'd need a pick-me-up with lunch, to be sure. For the moment, she leaned against the window and half-drowsed in the sun, thin strands of hair like spun copper coming lose from her strictly-kept bun, the length of them somewhat betraying just how long her hair actually was.

What a long fucking day it had been, already... And now she had to deal with Agent Bell's antics again. He clearly had no desire to cop to any possible wrongdoing, so it was possible this entire meeting was a waste of her time and his. But if he was willing to not be a dick for like five minutes, maybe they could figure out what the hell had actually gone wrong, and whether or not they needed to worry.

She yawned, long and tired, not bothering to cover it, eyes fluttering shut while she waited for both Bell and for the waitress to bring her damn coffee already.

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - saronym - 06-22-2017

Renton arrived just a few minutes past their agreed meeting time. He strode along the street and paused to watch the cantankerous woman almost basking herself in the sun like a lizard. Interesting. Renton felt for a moment that he was seeing her in a private moment of vulnerability. What she might look like when she let herself unwind a bit. So she could unwind, he learned.

He moved to block the sunlight from hitting her and waved good naturedly at her through the window as if he wasn’t messing with her.

The chime of the bell above the door signaled Renton’s entrance. He excused himself from the custody of a hostess indicating to Emma as his lunch partner.

“Nice afternoon for sunbathing, huh?” He remarked genially as he pulled the chair opposite her out for himself. His movements were delicate as he scooted the chair forward and prematurely took the silver out from the napkin binding to arrange it neatly on his lap. When he was finished he linked his hands together on the tabletop like an obedient little school boy.

He stared at her as if he was going to get into it with her already. But then - “I love the Cobb salad, here.” - was all he said before he opened the menu to occupy himself with the selection.

RE: Security Breach [Closed] - SolitareLee - 06-22-2017

Emma snapped awake all at once as a shadow fell over her, a surge of adrenaline catapulting her into full consciousness. ...Oh. It was just Agent Bell, outside. He was probably being a dick, but frankly, she was relieved to have a second to pull herself together as he left the window and entered the building properly. There was nothing she could really do about her hair without re-doing the bun entirely, an ordeal best left for the restroom. But she rubbed her eyes to get the remains of sleep out, reminded herself why she was here. That she needed to be focused. Only time would tell whether Agent Bell was an enemy or simply an entity, but he certainly was working hard to make himself as antagonistic to her as possible, which had... implications.

She was reasonably together by the time Agent Bell arrived at the table and sat down across from her. He sat down like someone's child, or grandmother, arranging himself all pretty like he was waiting to be served. Well, it was a restaurant, so she supposed he was, but still.

"I take my naps where I can," she replied dryly. He looked as though he was going to get to business immediately--frankly the preferred outcome--but instead, he commented on the salad and grabbed the menu. So much for a pause on the dickitry. Emma let out a pained sort of sigh, and then, to her great relief, the waitress appeared with her coffee.

"Thank you," was all Emma said before gripping the mug of steaming coffee and downing it as if it were a beer at a bar. When she set it back down, it was about 3/4ths empty, and her sigh was much more relieved.

"I'll, er... just bring a carafe, then," the waitress decided quickly.

"That would be lovely, thank you," Emma agreed. She treated Renton to a thin half-smile, eyes still tired, but looking a bit less dead than she had a few seconds ago. A placebo effect--the caffeine wouldn't hit her for while--but still something. "I can't say it's the sort of place I normally go, but that's mostly because I don't normally go." It was a cute little place, that reminded her of cute little things that had long since stopped being cute to her. "So, how long were you hoping to extend the niceties for? Until we order? Until the food arrives? Until we've finished eating?" If that was the case, perhaps she could catch another nap while he made insipid comments over his salad. "I could comment on the weather, if it would help. You know, the weatherman said it would be cloudy today, so of course, bright and sunny." She let out a natural little chuckle. "This sort of thing is why I always pack an umbrella." She did, too, even though she'd mastered a spell for that before Agent Bell had been born. It always helped to look as mortal as possible, honestly.