alonimi
The Fox and the Hound [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Las Ballenas (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=88)
+--- Thread: The Fox and the Hound [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=712)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: The Fox and the Hound - skiesofpurple - 03-30-2017

"Okay, now I have to know." Matt said with a grin. At this rate, pretty much nothing would surprise him. Clearly this dude had to be eating something high in protein in order to maintain his frankly ridiculous-for-a-squatter-in-the-desert physique. If those meals weren't the less pathetic looking unfortunate travelers, Matt was pretty stumped as to how he'd been thriving out here for however long. Maybe he was part of a cult. Maybe there was a cult that worshiped him!

Scratch that, there was definitely a cult that worshipped him. Matt met them. They're a unique group.

Matt rolled his eyes and, in response, plucked a scalpel blade from the first aid kit to idly spin it on his fingers as he contemplated the wound. "You should really invest in some sterile supplies, dude. I assume that your biology pretty much protects you from infection since this kit has clearly seen a lot of use, but there is no way in fuck you'd ever be able to use this shit on someone else without killing them by accident."

With his free hand, Matt handed over the leather and flask. Once Klyk accepted them, he pulled out some suture, forceps, needle drivers, gauze, and a blanket to lay out his supplies on. Once he was set up, he grabbed some alcohol wipes to try and wipe away the worst of the blood which was kinda hard when the guy was still bleeding.

"You're ridiculous." He shot back without missing a beat. He looked up from the various surgical supplies to shoot Klyk another grin. "Giant radioactive mutated bears, actually. Considering what I was after this time, it seemed appropriate. You ready to get this party started?"

RE: The Fox and the Hound - SolitareLee - 03-30-2017

"I live in a desert with many coyote friends," Klyk explained, as if the conclusion was self-evident. "I eat mostly roadkill. The coyotes bring me leftovers. Sometimes, I go out hunting myself, though this seems somewhat unfair as I am very fast." Also, there was a weird group that sometimes left crap out in the desert. He mostly gave that stuff to charities. He was uncomfortable with the idea of tribute, which seemed markedly different than favors.

Klyk accepted the flask first, taking a very long drink. Ugh. Warm vodka. Disgusting. "I am somewhat limited in what supplies I can get, all things considered." You know, the whole. Demonic hobo living in a shack in the desert, shunned from human society thing. "And I cannot imagine a situation in which I would need to use these on another person. I do not get visitors." He eyed the man. "Generally."

Klyk took a deep breath, then sighed. This was going to be very unpleasant. The bullet was decently far into his leg--thanks buddy--further than one had gone before. He put the leather between his teeth. It had no hope of surviving the situation, but it should help save his tongue. He nodded grimly.

RE: The Fox and the Hound - skiesofpurple - 03-30-2017

"Wow. That is seriously disgusting." No wonder it grossed out so many people. Seriously, though, even if this guy was isolated that didn't mean he couldn't go through a Burger King drive through everyone once in a while. Those poor bastards have literally seen it all. Some rando wearing hooded robes that may or may not be concealing horns walking through the drive through would not be the weirdest thing they'd seen that DAY let alone over the course of their career. Plus, that way he might actually be able to visit more than one food group. Eating just roadkill all the time couldn't be healthy, even if he spent a ton of time as a giant dog.

Matt would grill him more about his dietary habits, but it was going to be hard to have a pleasant conversation while trying to dig a bullet out of a guy's rather muscular thigh. Idle chatter would probably be the way to go from this point out. Without trying to drag on the process any longer, he got to work, placing the scalpel to flesh with the forceps in his other hand on his search for the wayward bullet.

"Speaking of things that are seriously disgusting." Matt chattered to distract himself, mostly, since the dude he was currently cutting probably couldn't be distracted from the fact that he was, you know, being cut open. "What's up with your blood? You don't have to answer that, obviously, I just couldn't help but notice it's black. Kinda makes me wonder if it's just such a dark red because you've got a ton of iron and your blood is hyper-oxygenated, but you can transform into what basically amounts to a hellhound so who the fuck even knows, amiright?"

"If you need any medical supplies, you could hit me up." He offered easily while probing for the bullet and widening the incision site a bit more to accommodate his other tools. "Especially the good kinda painkillers. You probably don't need them often, but they're good to have around and have surprisingly versatile uses." Which he decided not to elaborate on at the moment.

"Guess you just struck me as the boy scout type." At this, Matt let out a triumphant noise as he felt metal close around significantly more deformed metal. He slowly, carefully drew the forceps out of the wound, finally looking up at his host with a grin as he held the silver bullet aloft. "If you wanna keep it you could probably get some money for it~" He said cheekily, dropping the bullet and scalpel onto the blanket in exchange for grabbing for the suture and needle drivers. "This isn't gonna be the prettiest set of sutures, but it'll heal faster anyway." He said cheerily as he set about closing the bullet wound he himself had created, poked at, and was now closing.

RE: The Fox and the Hound - SolitareLee - 03-31-2017

Klyk was, of course, utterly incapable of replying until the task was done, or at least closer to done. Being cut open was never a pleasant sensation, and the depths to which the man had to dig into his thigh was beyond unpleasant. His teeth sheered right through the leather, but it did its job long enough. He spat it onto the table, two perfect chunks, right after Matt pulled the bullet out.

"Why could I get money from a used bullet," he hissed, pain making his voice sound more harsh than usual. He took another swig from the flask to try and help kill the pain as the man sewed up his frankly horrifying wound. Who knew how long it would even take to heal? He would be limping unhappily for a few days at least.

"I warned you it would be disgusting," he said, probably talking about the roadkill, but it could apply to his leg as well. "But it is much better for everyone involved. Save for, perhaps, the rabbits.

"As for the blood," he said with a careless wave of his hand. "Your guess is perhaps as good as mine. It is black. Animals treat it as poison. These are the things that I know. Whether it is properly demonic or not, I do not know." He had his suspicious. He could, in fact, transform into what basically amounted to a hellhound. Or, technically speaking, he could transform into what basically amounted to a human. Just with black skin, red eyes, and horns. So not really a human at all, if you thought about it. Which he did. A lot.

RE: The Fox and the Hound - skiesofpurple - 04-01-2017

Matt hummed pleasantly as he attempted to keep his stitches straight. It had been a while since he'd had to do this on someone. Whenever he got wounded enough that it could scar he usually just made sure it was fixed up enough that it wouldn't be hard to get it removed later. His scars were numerous and near invisible, all thanks to recklessness and vanity.

"Because this," Matt proclaimed, pausing to lift the bullet with a flourish, "is thrice-blessed silver forged with holy water. You can kinda still see the crosses engraved on it, too." He offered the bullet to the man closely resembling a demon who could transform into what basically amounted to a hellhound as if this were a perfectly reasonable action to make by a perfectly reasonable person.

"Considering that your blood isn't boiling and your leg isn't smoking or whatever, it might have been overkill." He added as an afterthought as he got back to closing the wound. Matt very resolutely did not mention that, no, these had not been custom made to go demon-dog hunting. He just. He was very prepared for all types of whacky situations, okay?

Finally finished with his closure, Matt tied off the last skin suture and finished it off with a final snip of the needle drivers. "There, good as new!" It took no time at all to pack up the supplies he'd made a mess of, wipe off his hands, and pack away the rest of the supplies into the first aid kit. All that he transferred over to the lonely table in the room, not really knowing where else to put all this crap. "Hey, I'm not judging, man. I'm just sayin', it wouldn't hurt for you to hit up a drive through every now and then."

He then spun back around to regard the injured man, tilting his head to one side with a look that might have been curious, but was tilted a bit too far towards mischievous. "Do you wanna know?" A paused, then, "My name is Matt, by the way. I don't think we've ever been formally introduced. Matthew Rhodes." He tacked on with a smarmy grin, offering Klyk his hand as if he were greeting him in a much more formal setting. "Now what can I call you besides handsome?"

RE: The Fox and the Hound - SolitareLee - 04-01-2017

Klyk was having a very hard time keeping a straight face as the fox boy listed his numerous preparations for hunting one of Satan's own army, apparently. He was not succeeding very well. "Ah," he said sagely, then picked up the bullet, running it between two fingers idly. "Well, that definitely explains it. If you'd blessed it a fourth time, I might have lost the leg entirely." He was now shaking slightly with suppressed laughter.

Amusement and vodka helped a great deal. But he was still relieved when the 'treatment,' if you could call letting a random lunatic dig around in his leg treatment, was done.

"There are a few flaws in your plan, Matthew Rhodes," Klyk said somberly, still grinning slightly, as he shook his hand. "One is that I look like this," he gestured at himself. "The other is that because I look like this, I do not have change for the Burger King. Roadkill, however, continues to be extremely free."

He looked a bit chagrined to be admitting it, but at least in America, it was unlikely his name would be recognized. "My name is Клык," he said, neglecting to translate. He said it sort of like "click," but with a longer "ee" sound. "With a K, he lied idly, because it was his shitty name and he could spell it however he wanted to in English.

It wasn't his fault that nuns could be cruel when naming small demon-dog-babies.

Matt liked a man who could be distracted towards laugh even after he'd been shot and had surgery performed on him without the benefit of painkillers or anesthesia. He found it easy to grin back, brushing away his own ridiculous precautions as silly eccentric behavior. If the dude hadn't just, you know, been shot, he might have even dialed up the flirting a bit more and tried to make the whole misunderstanding up to him, but now didn't seem like quite the right time for that. Blood splatter and all that.

"I'll keep that in mind." He said with a wink, leaning his hip against the table and crossing his arms casually in front of his chest. "However, I think you're seriously underestimating the level of fucks a fast food worker would give if you showed up looking for sustenance." He took his time to slowly look Klyk over, from the tips of his horns down to his blood-splattered legs. Eventually his eyes wandered back up to Klyk's face, a smirk in place as he said, "I bet they'd be more willing to hit on you than call the cops."

"...Klyk?" Matt ventured, cautious since the first time he was faking fear when the hellhound had first approached him. That word was clearly not an English word and he was probably butchering it wonderfully. Unfortunately, Russian was not one of the languages he had picked up on his little vacation. Perhaps he should rectify that in the future.

Shaking off the thought of becoming even more involved with the mystery of the giant black dog who'd been haunted the desert (and his workplace), Matt shifted off the table and made of show of brushing dirt and blood off his knees. It was useless. He'd have to burn these pants. His shirt, too, probably. It hadn't been spared either. At least he'd probably be able to extract a decent blood sample beforehand. "Well, this has been tons of fun," He said with a grin, "but I wouldn't want to overstay my welcome! I'll seeya around, buddy." As he was speaking, Matt spun and offered a halfhearted wave as he made his way towards the door, leaving the shack almost as quickly as he'd pushed his way inside before. He only paused to shoot over his shoulder, "Don't strain that leg too much in the meantime!"

And then he was off to do whatever it was Matt did when he wasn't cryptid hunting.

Klyk knew exactly what it was Matt did when he wasn't cryptid hunting. Because, gosh, they just kept running into each other.

It wasn't like Klyk went looking for him. It was just, in a city full of smells, it was surprisingly easy to pick up on his unique blend of human and fox. Sometimes, the scent would just lead to a bar, and Klyk would continue on his back-alley rounds. People here were surprisingly tolerant of a giant fuck-off dog with horns wandering around. Several times, he'd wandered past people fucking, and they'd just sort of paused to watch him pass.

Las Ballenas was lousy with weird things. Klyk was up there, but most people were pretty content to not ask a great number of questions, out of concern they might be answered.

Tonight, Klyk was specifically hunting for Matt's trail, because he felt he was getting a pretty good handle on the man's personality. He would suspect Klyk's leg would keep him down and out for a while. He didn't know how fast Klyk healed. While Klyk was still very much favoring that leg, he could at least put weight on it. It would be completely healed within another day or two. But thinking he was in the clear would mean Matt would almost certainly use this opportunity to get up to something he should not.

Like breaking and entering, say.

Klyk followed the trail, to an extent. He was significantly larger, so he just sort of made his own way through locked buildings. Locked doors weren't really a significant hindrance; neither were windows. In this case, however, he needn't bother with his normal tactic of smashing a window, which would trip the alarm and send Matt scurrying. There was a back door still unlocked. He shoved his way through it, avoiding the alarms for now. He wanted to see what Matt was up to.

He was engrossed in something... a computer. Klyk had little to no experience with computers, but he knew Matt was almost certainly stealing something. It was sort of what he did.

Well.

Might as well say hi.

Skulking through the darkness the way only something dark grey and black can, he was a deathly silent mass of fur and glowing embers for eyes. He kept expecting Matt to notice his presence in the room, somehow, but he was utterly consumed with his task, typing furiously. Klyk was able to sneak up right behind him. Unable to resist what he knew was a very mean thing to do, he said hello in the doggiest way possible--by giving a large greeting lick across the entirety of the back of Matt's neck, slicking into his hair.

HI!

Okay, let's get one thing straight. Matt had been planning this job for months. Well, calling it a job was a bit of a misnomer. He wasn't getting paid to break into a cutting-edge biogenetics research facility. Plat Genetics was a bit of a personal project for him, one that he'd been circling for a while. The other jobs he'd take had been just that - jobs to keep him on his game and limber. This time, he wasn't breaking in to steal some random valuables or to plant some incriminating evidence. What he need was data, buried under years and years of cover-ups and cooperate espionage. Data he hadn't been able to get by just trying to hack through firewalls from an outside computer.

Anyway. Had he rearranged a few other affairs to make sure he could do this job tonight? Maybe. But this was no spur of the moment breaking-and-entering, okay? This was planned.

He frowned under his mask, black-tipped ears flicking back slightly at the sight of a familiar platypus logo on a company computer. The blue of the screen illuminated the skin-tight black suit he was sporting, the light sort of negative any benefits he'd gotten from the suit sneaking in, but the security cameras were playing on loop for the next ten minutes and the motion sensors had been angled away from the desk, so he wasn't worried about it.

Gloved hands sped over the keyboard, his thumb drive running a pre-programmed virus to search out the information he was looking for on one side of the screen. Dates flashed by, familiar names long forgotten, information rushing past his eyes that he filed and stored away for later. He knew he wouldn't be able to go over all of this data right now, he was down to about 6 minutes left before the videos started back up, but he still wanted, need to see-

Alarm bells burst out in his head, ears flicking backwards moments before what felt like a warm, wet, slimy rag dragged up from some of the only skin that wasn't covered by his suit into his fucking hair.

Matt's shuddered, his hands stalling on the keyboard as he felt his shoulders creeping up to his ears. Fuck. He was supposed to be wounded. Without missing a beat, Matt spun around to face his assailant, his wrist flicking as he turned to make his thumb drive disappear to someplace safe. His fucking program wouldn't be able to run anymore, but he knew this asshole and if experience had taught him anything, he'd better grab what goods he could before he did something to royally fuck up his plans further.

"What the fuck are you doing here." It was barely even a whisper, hissed through clenched teeth, but Matt knew he'd be able to hear him. The computer barely illuminated half of him, casting dark fur into darker shadows where it didn't. What had once looked like an intimidating murderbeast now, in Matt's eyes, resembled little more than that fucking chihuahua who kept shitting in the middle of a sidewalk. Fucking up all those other jobs had been one thing. Matt could laugh it off, he didn't actually need the money and practicing evading something actually good at chasing him was good practice. But this time? He was royally pissed off. Ears flat, teeth bared, it took all his self control to prevent himself from outright growling. This job was too important to be fucked up by a shitty real cryptid who, for some ungodly reason, decided to start stalking him.

Especially when he was supposed to be wounded.

Klyk tilted his head to the side, the absolute picture of a confused puppy who didn't understand why you were mad about the urine on the floor. He gave Matt another 'affectionate' lick, this one across the side of his face.

It should have been patently obvious why he was there. Really, Matt should have been grateful he'd decided to come in and see what the fox was up to instead of just tripping the alarm by smashing clear through a window. He was being nice. Giving Matt a chance to explain the situation. But look at this, he was just getting mad.

Rude, honestly.

Klyk plopped his ass down, his tail trailing out behind him. It wagged idly, dangerous close to a laser alarm that he surely did not know was there.

He tilted his head to the other side, slowly.

Matt sputtered, hands coming up to shove away the giant head that licked him again. If this guy was trying to convince him that dog weren't the absolute worst (or coyotes, either, for that matter), he was going about it in absolutely the worst way possible. Now he was covered in drool and it was everywhere. His neck, his hair, his face. It was going to take forever to get this shit out. The worst part was? It fucking tingled in no way saliva should.

But that wasn't the important thing right now.

Matt narrowed his eyes. The hellhound hadn't tripped any alarms, not yet, but the moment he put his fat ass down Matt knew something was up. Without looking, Matt quickly shut down the computer he'd been snooping in, sensing that pretty soon he was going to be making a hasty exit.

"Don't you fucking dare." He hissed on another breath, eyes darting from Klyk's tail back to his face, a hopeless, frustrated anger bubbling up his chest and threatening to choke him. He didn't have anything on him that would remotely be able to disable him. Next time, he wouldn't make that mistake.

Klyk gave him the wide eyed look of a dog that did not understand. He plastered his ears down against his head, as if pouting. He gave Matt a little nudge in the chest with his nose, as if encouraging him to just go ahead and leave on his own. They could do this nice and friendly. It didn't have to be tripping alarms and causing fusses. They could just peacefully exit the way they came in, and maybe go to Burger King or something.

It didn't have to be a thing.

His tail wagged, coming within an inch of the alarm each time.

This time, Matt didn't stop himself from growling. It was short and cut off, but he allowed himself a slight slip of frustration while shoving Klyk's muzzle away from him, again. He stayed stubbornly in place for a few more seconds before his internal timer, counting down how long until the cameras picked up again, warned him that he really didn't have the luxury of arguing with a hellhound about the legality of breaking into a company to steal sensitive information about the deaths of the company's founders. Resigned, he finally started inching away from the computer, glaring at Klyk all the while.

Was this was he wanted? Huh? To get him out of the fucking building? Fine. Matt carefully moved away from the desk. Since it hadn't, technically, been compromised yet, he decided to follow his planned escape route A. Spinning around, he very pointedly turned his back on the menace behind him to walk out of the office and disappear into the nearest ventilation shaft. He'd take that route to a unmonitored staircase and after a few more twists and turns he'd find himself safely emerging onto the sidewalk a few buildings down in casual clothing for a night out on the town. No big deal.

Except he probably only got half the information he'd need to get out of this night's little jaunt. Fucking fantastic.

Klyk watched Matt climb into a ventilation shaft. Well, he could hardly go out that way. Instead, he went out the way he'd come in. He was a bit curious about what on earth Matt could have wanted out of a place like this, but it wouldn't be very noble of him to break in and snoop around right after telling Matt he really shouldn't be doing that. So instead, he trotted right back out the door, not really caring if he showed up on any cameras. He closed the door politely behind him on his way out.

He could probably track Matt back down, hunt around for his scent, but he would probably need a bit of time to cool down. It was very unlikely he would break into another place in the same night. And there were other lawbreakers to deal with. Muggers and rapists and the like. He just had to go find them.

Well, Klyk would have been right in one respect. Matt didn't perform any more illegal activities that night. Not unless you counted scouring his stolen data for the information he was looking for all night long. The frustration and anger boiling through his veins had gone down to a simmer as he'd searched the data, bits and pieces he needed coming together for form a still incomplete picture. By the time he hit the end of the data, his mind was spinning, his eyes were more than a little bloodshot, and, oh, the anger was back.

If he had just had two more fucking minutes maybe he would have had enough information to put together a solid lead. But no. That fucking. Giant demon dog had barged in and ruined everything. He wouldn't be able to get back into the building to retrieve what he was missing anytime soon, it was too risky. Even if he did risk it in a few weeks, chances are by then someone might have noticed something and buried the information even further.

It took a significant amount of willpower not to break something right about now.

Now? When even was now?

Whatever, it didn't matter.

The sun hurt his eyes as his bike sped through city streets that gave way to desert. The hot air scorched his skin, the sand shifted in front of him, and all over Matt was just tiredsoreangrypissed fuck Fuck FUCK. He didn't have a great grasp of time at the moment. One minute he was racing through the streets, the next he was kicking in the door to a shitty shack in the middle of the desert that he had no clear memory of driving to. The sound of his boot crashing into the wood caused a brief feeling of satisfaction to slide over his skin.

"HEY ASSHAT." The shouting helped, too.

Oh, and he was pissed. He probably looked kinda crazy, too. He'd spend half the night trying to tug his own hair out and his clothes were what he'd changed into after the job. All around he was rumpled with too-bright eyes and clenched fists. He probably looked like he'd gotten fucked over, first literally and then figuratively. Unfortunately for him, only the latter actually happened.

"What the FUCK was that last night? Look, buddy, pal, where the fuck do you get off on screwing me! In the shitty way! What the fuck!" He knew that he couldn't take demon-man. Especially since, in his blind rage, he seemed to have neglected to grab his gun. But that didn't stop Matt from storming over and getting up into the guy's face. Whatever. It wasn't like things could get much more fucked up than they already were.