alonimi
Glitterbombed [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Valesport (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Thread: Glitterbombed [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=707)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Glitterbombed [Closed] - Blade - 03-19-2017

She didn’t imagine she was, but that was a broad assumption based on her appearance and timidity. One wasn’t picky when there weren’t many options. Ruka, for what it wasn’t worth, had never been in that position before. Not poor and homeless at least.

The other woman seemed happy enough to light up. Which meant she’d probably be buying her a pack of smokes at some point. Or maybe she’d just give her the lighter and the tin. They had some sentimental value, but Ruka liked the notion that the imp in her car, hardly dressed and trying not to be too obviously grateful, would take a piece of something away with her when she went. She didn’t imagine she would linger, but Ruka wouldn’t mind if she did.

Such thoughts rolled around in her head as she turned a corner and a few more while Ren talked about bitter and sweet coffee. About flying. Her chest panged as it was wont to do. That plucking, that pang, the inability to not empathize even as she could sense the feelings of others... it was why she was accused of running a halfway house disguised as a bar, a club. But what was the point of money if it couldn’t make things easier for the ones brave enough to ask?

“It does,” she agreed about flying as she smoked lazily, hand with the fag on the wheel while the other rested on the gearshift. “I think that’s why I bought it. Maybe. Or maybe because it reminds me of a cat.” A smirk, also just as lazy as she focused on the road. Buildings changed as they got closer to the art district, closer to the fancy shops she preferred. Mostly because she liked supporting the local economy. Brick covered building with painted on words on the windows and wooden signs hanging on iron posts to give it an eclectic feel.

The coffee story had a pang of sadness to it, but it was just barely there. She’d like to think it was difficult to imagine Ren having never had sweet coffee drinks, but she wasn’t surprised; it merely confirmed her earlier assessments. “One of my workers loves coffee,” she offered. “For her it is a religion, I suppose.” Eventually, she slowed the car and put in a parking spot. While parallel parking wasn’t difficult, she was glad to have avoided the trouble given the empty spots. She put her smoke out in a little cup-shaped ashtray in the middle console before unbuckling and getting out. Once more she went to Ren’s side and opened the door, wondering if she’d give her the lighter and the smokes back.

RE: Glitterbombed [Closed] - SolitareLee - 03-19-2017

He would have been annoyed to hear her call it a religion, come to think of it. Probably give her a lecture on what qualified as a religion. What the word meant. The thought made her smirk. She liked to think the only thing she missed was annoying him, even though she knew it wasn't true.

"A cat?" she wondered out loud, looking down at the car. It wouldn't have been her first thought. If anything, it made her think of a bat. Or maybe her thoughts were just already in that direction. Or maybe it was just because she'd rarely interacted with cats. They hated her.

They stopped, on a side of town that looked very different then the one she'd been picked up in. A big town... She'd be spending a lot of time walking, then. Maybe she could pick up a map somewhere. Actually, that was doubly a good idea, because she still had no fuckin' clue what city she was IN, or even what state. That wasn't really the sort of thing you could ask easily.

She had the courtesy to put out her smoke, though she didn't want to. She didn't have enough courtesy not to pocket the rest of it for later. She set the lighter and smokes on the middle of the seat before pausing. Was that a good idea, when the car had no roof? What was the protocol, here? Did people steal things out of convertibles often? God knew she would have swiped them in a heartbeat if she'd been walking down the street.

But looking at this neighborhood, she never would have been allowed to walk down the street to begin with, so it was probably a moot point. She put them in the glove compartment after another moment's hesitation. That was probably safe, right? Then she opened the door to get out. She'd almost just jumped over it automatically, without thinking. That was probably rude. She wasn't sure. It seemed kind of dumb to have doors on a car with no top, but whatever.

She stood and glanced around. This did not look like the kind of area that would appreciate a dirty, glittery woman in nothing but a 3XL men's hoodie. She wanted to point that out. But... again. Rude, probably, and she was trying really hard not to be. It was an effort. Besides, she was pretty sure if someone was rich enough, it hit a point where you could just do whatever the hell you wanted and no one would bother you.

“Why not?” she said of the the car reminding her of a cat as she stood with the door open for her to get out. “It purrs like one. Though, it’s actually called a Shelby Cobra...” The car didn’t remind her of a cobra at all, but to each their own. Maybe car designers just liked name cars after scary animals, or ones with a dangerous history. She’d never met one to have a conversation on the subject, so she wasn’t sure.

“You didn’t have to put it out,” Ruka told her, noticing she wasn’t quite finished with it. “I would have waited.” She would have too. “You’re going to want more, aren’t you?” she asked as Ren put them in the glove compartment, smirking in more amusement as the other woman got out of the car. She shut the door, but reached over and pulled both the lighter and the tin out of the glove compartment. “Here, hold onto them.” She took her hand and pointedly placed them in her palm. “You can keep an eye on them for a while. I’ll let you know when I want them back.” She had a spare cheap lighter and smokes in her suit jacket anyway. For when she needed to refill the tin; which, seemed to defeat the purpose of the tin, but she didn’t care. Not when there were times when she smoked like a chimney.

Anyway, just as quickly as she’d placed the items in her hand, she pulled away, still not wanting to spook her. She’d taken a chance touching her to do so anyway. Normally, she’d wait for the other person to touch her first. But she was a little tired still and not quite thinking properly--as a result not behaving as she ought to. Next time she was definitely sending Saint out, lazy vamp. She could not be trusted to act decent on three hours. You could barely call that a nap.

Still, she took a moment to observe Ren as she looked around, taking in this section of the city. She could almost guess her thoughts. Almost. “It’ll be fine.” What she couldn’t guess were her musings about the car being picked clean. And that was something Ruka simply didn’t concern herself with. Most people knew her car; metas who’d take the risk wouldn’t. Ballsy normals would get zapped, to put it mildly. It paid to know a few witches on speed dial.

“C’mon,” she said, “It’s not far.” Two stores down, actually.

"Does it?" she asked curiously, eyeing the still car. "I've never heard a cat purr before." If it sounded like that engine, she could sort of imagine why people liked it. That thing from last night had purred, but it hadn't sounded like that. It had been... click-y.

She wasn't sure what to make of this person. She wasn't sure if she looked suspicious or just plain confused at the prospect of being given the cigarettes to hold onto. She supposed that maybe to some people, this was nothing? She was probably overthinking it. Actually it was probably weird that she found it weird, so she shook the feeling off.

"Thanks," she managed, tucking them into the hoodie pocket near her left knee. She couldn't bring herself to put it in the Cupcake Pocket. It just seemed like an ill omen or something. She wondered how many she could smoke before it got rude.

She started off keeping her eyes on the ground as they walked, but quickly realized that the sidewalks here were clean. No broken glass, nothing. She didn't need to worry for even her newly-sensitive, de-calloused feet.

"Where are we going?" she asked curiously. Maybe it was a shoe store. She hoped it was a shoe store. A smart person would have her remain shoeless, or buy her very difficult shoes, so that she couldn't run. Not that it would work. There was nothing short of shooting her in the leg that could get her to stop running.

Her heart jumped once at that, skipping a beat at the omission. She wondered why she hadn’t heard a cat purr before. There were plenty of strays most anywhere; at least there were in her experience. It was sad, definitely, but she’d been expecting things like this. Maybe not to this extent, but all the same. Everyone had a story; Ruka doubted she’d get hers. Those were things she exchanged before or after a night love love-making, after all. But the bits and pieces painted a picture, all the same.

She’d been used before, perhaps by multiple people. Taken advantage of. She was also a bit of a risk-taker because she couldn’t afford not to be, given the chance she’d taken with Ruka just to get clothes and food. A cigarette. She didn’t know if she exchanged sex for goods, but Ruka wouldn’t push aside the possibility. It didn’t make her sick to her stomach; primarily because she didn’t see prostitution as an evil. It was only evil if you did it because you had to, not because you wanted to—because it made you happy.

If she ever did come by the club maybe Ruka'd bribe Saydri to let her pet him. Or Saint. She chuckled internally that, but the action didn’t make itself visible as she tucked her hands into her pockets. Her gait wasn’t fast or slow, not wanting to leave Ren behind.

“A shop for clothes—shoes. Bianca’s. It’s not open today, but I’m friends with the owner. Some of my employees keep odd hours, so she lets me come and go. We have an arrangement.” She shrugged as if it didn’t matter. She didn’t really need to mention that sometimes her employees were not all that different from Ren—alone, looking for something in the world, a safe place for a few days, moments; a place to breathe and sleep. Bathe without worrying about hot water running outl. Some weren’t, but they all had woes in one way or another. And sometimes all the really needed were new clothes. A pair of shoes.

Painful, but a very real fact.

In a moment she was stopping in front of small shop with women’s and men’s fashions in the window. A consignment shop; it had a bit of old and new. A red woolen fedora sat on top of a mannequin’s head on one side, the rest of it in a suit to match. In the other a female mannequin in jeans with sequins and a halter top and fur wrap over her shoulders.

“At any rate, I can’t imagine you want to have anyone staring at you half naked; some strange shop owner curling their nose at your bare feet and what they imagine to be a poor imitation of a Meyerpire.” Gods, Saint was rubbing off on her. Brat.

She took her keys out and unlocked the door. Assuming Ren would follow, she went right in and over to the security pad on the wall. The code was quickly typed in. Unfortunately, it was time sensitive.

That wasn't a normal thing, she was fairly sure, having a key to someone else's shop and being able to come in whenever. She wasn't always completely clear on what the rules were for normal people. She got the vague sort of sensation that none of the places she'd lived in her life had been normal, and sometimes people got confused by things she thought were commonplace, or disturbed by a random admission that seemed like nothing. But this had to be like a weird rich person thing, right? This wasn't something normal people could do.

She was uncomfortable from the moment they admitted there was no one in the store. That, combined with the growing sense that this might be a person without a sense of awareness as to where they both stood in the world, made her nervous.

Also, it could have been a trap. An empty building, no one there all day... She was silent and tense as the door was unlocked, wondering if she should cut her losses and bolt. She'd get cigarettes out of it. She stood outside the open door for longer than was reasonable, she knew, frozen with indecision.

If it was just sex, that was one thing, but what if it was something worse? She knew very well the sort of things people could want a homeless girl for. That's why she'd made it sound like she would be missed if she went missing. Not a guarantee, though.

She took a step backwards. There were probably really good dumpsters on this side of town.

It occurred to Ruka once she’d turned around and realized that she was alone that she’d made a tactical error. A grave tactical error. “Idiot,” she muttered to herself. Of course Ren wouldn’t come in. The car was one thing, and that had taken a bit of talking. But this was an empty building and the traygon was forgetting herself once more. She’d have to take things slower. That is, if Ren was still outside.

Ruka moved back towards the door, relieved to see she was indeed still there. Nervously stepping back, but there. Thus, slowly, Ruka opened the door back up and held up a hand. “I apologize. I didn’t mean to leave you, but the alarm would have gone off if I hadn’t stepped in.” A smile—calm, warm, noninvasive.

And then she took another chance as she stepped outside fully, the door shutting behind her; it didn’t make a sound though, going back into place. Which was likely odd given the fact that it was a heavily wooden thing with a window down the middle and an iron handle.

Ruka paused a moment, properly running the words through her head. “I realize this situation is strange...” she began softly, quietly, as if talking to a wounded animal. She was good at that, after all. Tending to broken things, or rather people that imagined themselves broken beyond repair. And sometimes she got lucky... sometimes she eased the pain, whatever it was. Rarely ever did she mend anything for anyone, but by Draco she tried.

It was how she was made.

“You believe I have an angle, I imagine. That I want to hurt you—fuck you, that I want something from you because you’re small and therefore people who look like me probably underestimate you. I could be wrong, but that’s my best guess.” Another pause as she tried to meet her gaze, tried to get those cool blue eyes of hers to catch the other woman’s. If Ren did, she’d the warmth present there in the traygon’s depths.

“I don’t have any intentions of the sort, but I’m also of the opinion that actions speak louder than words—especially in matters of trust.” A smile. A poignant pause. “The shop has a fire exit in the back. I have to lock the front door. If you decide to bolt, I won’t stop you, and I’d rather it didn’t go off.

“If you still want what I offered previously, then come in. I’ll wait a few minutes and come back. If you’re gone, I’ll understand.” Without much else, she went inside, leaving the door unlocked.

Ren took another two steps back as Ruka re-exited the shop. It was fortunate they'd moved slowly; her body was tense, ready to bolt. Indecision was a poison, one that regularly got her into trouble. Her tendency to freeze, rather than fight or flee.

She couldn't tell if the icy blue eyes on hers were helping or hurting. She had history with blue eyes, history that was probably unfortunate but that she had trouble thinking of as unfortunate because of the implications it would have for her life as a whole.

She didn't think she had tricked this person into believing she was a college student very well.

The person went inside the shop. Ren stayed outside, considering.

It could be a lie. There could be nothing in there but a trap. No fire exit. ...Well... didn't all buildings have to have a fire exit? Like, by law or something?

...If it wasn't a trick, she could get clothing, and then food.

...The last time she'd trusted a man to give her food and clothing and nothing else, she had gotten a great deal more. That had been three years ago, maybe four. Had she learned nothing?

On the other hand, how many people like that could really exist in the world? Statistically, how like was it that same thing would happen twice?

...Statistically speaking, how likely was it that she would break into the church with the dick-demon inside? She didn't trust her luck.

She waffled around outside for slowly ticking seconds, going rapidly back and forth. She was still considering when she felt something scurry up her leg.

To a normal person, this would be severely alarming, particularly on a bare leg. But Ren knew little rat feet anywhere. It scurried up her leg, under her hoodie, kept crawling until it reached her shoulder, the neck hole, poked its little head out by her ear. She couldn't help but smile, pausing to rub its little head. It squeaked helpfully in her ear.

She felt a great deal better, having a rat with her. A person like that, all clean and pretty, wouldn't know what to do with a rat.

"Alright," she said with a sigh. "If you really think so." She held her palm out in front of the rat, and it obediently climbed on, then let her tuck it into the pocket of her hoodie that didn't already contain cigarettes. Then she pushed the door to the shop open.

"I don't want to take a shower," she said firmly as the door closed behind her. "I'll rinse off at a sink if you need me to not be actively shedding glitter, but I'm not--" Getting naked. Naked-er. "I just want something to wear."

Ruka exhaled a sighed as the door closed behind her, letting it settle. She felt a little stuffy in her suit jacket and she needed another smoke. The tension in her chest wasn’t unusual, but she couldn’t smoke in here. Bianca was kind and it had taken a few months to build a relationship with her to let Ruka do these kinds of things. It helped that the shop owner wanted to help others who needed it. The telepath couldn’t save everyone, but she did what she could for those who asked—sometimes without speaking.

She smiled, the action lazy and little knowing as she stepped towards the register—the counter—and removed her suit jacket. She dropped it there wondering if Ren would come inside, or, if she’d run off. She wouldn’t blame her either way. It—.

Ruka turned slightly as the girl entered and told her she wouldn’t take a shower. “That’s fine,” she said, acting as if nothing had been said before. And while she didn't let it show, it occured to her instantly that Ren had aquired a new friend. In her pocket. Tight-lipped, as usual, she said nothing about it--about sensing the creature.

Though... it made her wonder... was the girl a meta of some sort....? Rats, city rats, didn't generally warm to anyone. Not that anyone wanted them to; usually. Curious.

She motioned to the middle isle that led to the back and walked on ahead. “I won’t make you do anything you’d rather not,” she said as she walked, as she made it to a door along the back wall and opened it up. Ruka switched the light on and the room brightened.

There was a desk, filing cabinets, and the whole space looked like a pretty stagnant office. Average. But to the side there was another door, on the left of where she’d come in. As Ruka stepped aside, she pointed to it. “There’s a sink and a shower. It locks.” Then she pointed to the door behind the desk. “Fire exit.” As if to make sure she knew. “Do you want me to bring you something to wear before you start?” And then something else occurred to her. “Do you wear a bra? I can bring one of those as well.” And underwear, but she didn’t dare broach anything she didn’t need to. It was an easy thing for Ruka to figure out sizes. A skill she’d acquired... well...

...Some women liked clothes as presents, after all.

She had her hands in her pockets, mostly so that she could affectionately scritch the rat, whose name was Phoebe now. This one would stick around--she could already tell. They didn't always, and they didn't need to. Rats could do whatever they wanted. But in a new city, it was good to have a pal.

The clothing here was nice, but not too nice, which was kind of a relief. Really fancy clothes were more of a burden than not, on the streets. There was an ideal middle ground. Not that she could really explain that without admitting to be homeless and extremely lost, which she was still unwilling to do. No matter what Phoebe said.

"Clothes beforehand would be nice," she agreed. Then she could change in the locked room, and maybe rinse off a little. She understood not being allowed to pick out her own clothing. She was a filthy little hobbit in someone else's store, after all, and anything she touched right now would probably be glitterbombed.

"...Layers," she added, a little grumpily, looking a bit embarrassed to admit it, as if it was a very telling thin. It was also embarrassed to be asked if she wore a bra. It was a fair question, though, given how flat her chest was. She just wasn't sure how to answer it. "All the... normal... layers," she said finally, gesturing vaguely at her torso, hoping this was enough to convey the concept of underwear. "Plus extras?"

Ruka nodded as she replied, as Ren secretly rubbed at the creature in her hoodie. “I believe I can ascertain your size. But after you’ve cleaned up and have gotten dressed, you’re free to look around for yourself. If you don’t like what I choose, I’ll take them home with me.” It was only temporary if Ren needed them to be. Just something to wear.

Oh, but shoes... No, she could get those on her own. Ruka would bring socks. While she didn’t think Ren had an affinity for shoes as someone women did—though it was possible—the telepath refused to pick that out for her. Even women who preferred comfort, sneakers or flats, as she did, liked to find their own. Much the same went with bras, but that couldn’t be helped. And based on Ren’s response, she didn’t think the woman wanted one.

The rat was niggling at her though, pricking as the edge of her senses. And she wondered...

“Are you warm?" she asked the little creature, tapping at it’s subconscious with her own mind, asking to be let in, to speak to the little scamp.

“Layers,” Ruka agreed. “There’s soap in the shower. Shampoo too.” She’d explain to Bianca later, replace the items. “I’ll return shortly.” A moment or two passed, but soon enough Ruka did return. A pair of jeans, a long-sleeved cotton shirt in black with a graphic of a dark red skull and other artsy stuff emblazoned, a hoodie to match the shirt with the same kind of art, knee socks decorated in stripes that (oddly enough) matched the shirt and hoodie in color, and underwear made of a cotton and spandex blend—boy shorts in dark grey.

The colors she chosen because, well... dark blended better in the dark. They were safe colors for someone like Ren. At least in Ruka’s experience. And a little splash of color didn’t hurt anything. right?

She offered the folded items. “You can pick your own shoes out later, but I assumed you wanted socks. Right? Extras you can get after. I don't like to presume to know your tastes." A smile.

Ren stayed in the back room, the office, while Ruka went to get clothing. All told, it was a terrible idea, to just leave her in a room. She glanced around for anything of interest or value, more curious than with serious intent to steal. She was trying to act in something vaguely like good faith. It did not come naturally to her.

Oooh, bowl of candy on the desk. She nabbed one and unwrapped it quickly, throwing it in her mouth. She wrinkled her nose. Peppermint. Oh well. Sugar was sugar.

Warm, safe. Food comes, no cats, no birds, Phoebe impressed upon the upon the person listening. She seemed to instinctively understand Ren as an ally or a friend, in the way of birds who picked grubs and bits of flesh from the inside of an alligator's mouth did.

Ren, meanwhile, had found a half a sandwich in a desk drawer and swiped it. It didn't matter that she had the promise of food almost immediately, if she waited. She saw food; she took food. Basic instinct. She unwrapped it swiftly and took a bite, swallowing the hard mint whole as she swallowed the rest of the sandwich. It would have been impressive to anyone watching, but her gag reflex was a tamed beast and there was nothing she could not impress upon herself to swallow. She would choke to death on an unfortunate swallow before she gagged.

She tore off a large chunk of the sandwich and shoved it in her pocket for Phoebe. The rest disappeared down her throat in a matter of seconds, barely chewed. She was thirsty now. There was a sink, right? It took a moment of figuring, but she managed to turn it on and then stick her face into the sink, sort of sideways, to lap and gulp at the water. It was very satisfying. Water was one of those extremely precious things that she found normal people took for granted.

She heard a sound in the office, and pulled her head out of the sink. It was slightly wet. She wiped her face off on the hoodie sleeve quickly, then poked her head out of the bathroom.

Ruka had returned, bringing clothes. They had a very naive, fashionable view of what 'layers' meant, but that was okay because they said she could grab more after she cleaned up. She still had no intention to shower properly, despite the locking door, but she could at least rinse off. Hot water didn't happen every day. Phoebe could stand guard.

At least the clothing was a good color and style. The jeans were likely going to be a loose, but she could find a belt. Or a length of rope. It was no one's fault; she didn't really have much in the way of hips. And baggy pants were much preferable, because you could put other things on underneath them. Like other pants.

"Thanks," she said, somewhat lamely, as she accepted the clothes. She held them out away from her body before putting them on top of the sink. She was already aware they would be getting some degree of glitter on them, but she wanted to minimize it.

It... seemed like... she should say something more than thanks. But she had no idea what it was, so instead she just sort of awkwardly closed the bathroom door. She locked it. After a moment's consideration, she moved the plunger under the doorknob. It wouldn't do much to actually stop the door from opening, but it made her feel better.

Phoebe came out of the hoodie, followed by the lighter and cigarettes. It would probably be rude to smoke in the shower. If it had been Ruka's shower, she probably would have done it anyway, but this was a stranger's shower. She didn't know this lady. She could have been perfectly normal.

Ren showered in the hoodie, at least at first, wanting to be able to bolt and still be clothed if it happened. She'd shown herself to be utterly willing to run, naked, away from danger, but it was happening a lot lately and she wanted to minimize her risks. Eventually she did take it off, briefly, to scrub the semen off her chest and shoulders. The sticky parts came off, but the glitter remained. She looked like she'd fucked one of those really shiny rocks. Sigh.

She toweled off with a towel that struck her as being ridiculously soft and fluffy. Like, to an unnecessary but still enjoyable extent. She dressed quickly once she was dry, eye on the door. Phoebe was also keeping an eye on the door, which made her feel better. Nice of her. Rats rarely kept an eye on anything; she was doing it just because Ren wanted her to. Not every rat had such a pliable personality.

No bra, but at least the underwear was reasonable and not a thong or something else that existed purely to convey a message. She dressed, pulling on the hoodie but not zipping it up right away because she knew she'd be hunting for more layers. The knee socks were cute. They would probably fall down a lot; her legs were basically straight lines, particularly from the knee down.

She tucked Phoebe into the pocket of the new hoodie, putting the smokes in the other one and the lighter in her jean pocket. She glance in the mirror. She was still glittery, but it looked more like it might have been on purpose. There were rather dramatic bags under her eyes, but she looked, in general, mostly normal.

She unlocked the door with caution, as if it might suddenly and dramatically spring open. It did not, of course, and she stepped back out into the office, ready to peruse the store for Actually Useful Clothing like additional cardigans, leggings, and just generally anything that could be worn on her body in addition to what she was wearing now.

Oh, and also shoes. She rarely got the chance to pick out good shoes. She'd have to be very particular about them.

While she’d been out getting those clothes, it had occurred to Ruka that Ren might snoop. She’d sensed it, chuckled softly as she’d felt the other woman’s actions. She didn’t want to break the spell—scare the poor woman by letting on that she knew what she was doing. Especially not when she was likely also doing Bianca a favor. The hippie was absent minded and tended to leave any number of things—mostly food—in the strangest places. Only to find out weeks later that it was spoiling, gross, and a cabinet needed defuming as well as cleaning.

And the water... Ruka was fairly certain she’d be ordering her a frappuccino. Just to see the reaction.

“You’re welcome,” the silver-haired female told her quietly, not bothered at all when she escaped into the bathroom and left Ruka there with her hands in her pants’ pockets. She wasn’t surprised when she locked the door, nor when she propped what felt like a plunger up against it for added protection.

As she showered, Ruka felt a little relief. Sinks were fine, but a warm shower was better—even if she didn’t use soap or shampoo. Perhaps she didn’t like to? Didn’t know how? Either was possible.

She responded to the rat. “Guard rat?” she asked, because it was simple enough and the creature would understand. “Helping Ren?”

When Ren came back out, Ruka was leaning against the wall not too far or too close to the bathroom door. “Feel better?” she asked, voice as soft as ever. “We can go back out when you’re ready.” She motioned to the door they’d come in through.

Extra eyes. Keep her safe, keeps me safe. Food and warm, Phoebe explained patiently, as if it was self-evident. To her, it was. She knew as soon as she saw Ren, what she was for.

As if sensing the affection, Ren scratched under the rat's chin, hand in her pocket. She had the same sort of instinct, but it was from years on the street, rodents and plague carriers bringing her nothing but food and helpful shiny things. Keeping her warm when humanity failed to. Now she was bigger, and she returned the favor. They kept each other safe, fed, and warm.

"I feel less glittery," Ren replied with a faint smile, though she still looked like she'd just utilized a glitter bath bomb. Less sticky now, just a sheen of silver sparkles even across her face. It wasn't even that noticeable, except when it caught the light. Although it was still quite evident in her wet hair, like stars in a night sky.

"Can I grab some more layers?" she asked. She wasn't sure what there was out there, but she was certain she had room for a tank top, and a sweater, oh, and leggings of course. At least one pair of leggings. God bless the person who invented those, because you could just keep stacking them until it got too thick to move properly.

“Ruka wants to help Ren too. Keep Ren safe.” People were off-limits when it came to speaking to them telepathically without permission. Not because it would hurt them, but because it was a slippery slope. Once a traygon got in someone’s head it was only a matter of time before they tempted to take liberties they were not allowed. Ruka was far too adept to even do it on accident, but she still didn’t break taboo. Even just to speak mentally. Animals, however, were a different matter. You just had to let them know, a little mental tap tap as she’d done. It was easy to ascertain if they weren’t keen on conversation or intrusion. Most were just happy to communicate simple things, like the rat in Ren’s pocket.

“Showers wash away the hurt,” she said in response. “Even if only for a little while.” She didn’t know if Ren would agree, but Ruka had always felt that way. The smile was promising, at any rate. She smiled right back.

“I’ll make you a deal,” Ruka told her, because Ren would only be able to carry so much. “Bianca sells backpacks. Stuff one with whatever you want. Whatever will fit you can have. And if you need more to put on, that’s fine too.”

She didn’t know if that last part was a mistake. Not because Ruka couldn’t afford it, but because she worried Ren would window up looking like someone’s kid who thought they’d catch their death in 80 degree weather.

“Sound good?”