alonimi
Two of a Kind [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Two of a Kind [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=700)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - megs - 04-26-2017

Julianna had easily found club soda and salt tucked away with the rest of the laundry detergents. Apparently red wine stains were something their old housekeeper had come to expect. She poured a little of each over the stain and gently rubbed her fingertip over the fabric. She almost felt as if she were short-circuiting. As her hands went through familiar motions her mind was reeling. Julianna would catch herself thinking about the curve of Owen’s bicep as he lifted the wineglass to his mouth, and then she would immediately scold herself for such thoughts. Then it would start over, with some other muscled part of him that had been revealed by the accident.

I’m really not she had heard him say. She tried not to assume that there would be more shirtless Owen in her future. And then she tried not to like the idea.

She knew her face was still on fire, which was embarrassing. She was a grown woman, and it wasn’t as if this was the first time she had seen a shirtless man. Exhaling sharply through her nose, she closed her eyes and pushed down the lid on the washing machine. Tapping her nail rhythmically on the metal. It was absolutely unacceptable for her to be reacting to a client this way. A married father of two who was paying her to care for his children. Absolutely unacceptable. “Get it together, Jules,” she muttered to herself, while setting a wash cycle. “You’ve never reacted this way before.” It was true, she hadn’t, but it was also safe to say that none of her previous clients had been so...hot.

When she returned to the kitchen, she found the twins and their father missing from the space, and having retreated into the living room. She took the time to clean and sanitize their highchairs and tuck them out of the way, before switching off the light in the kitchen and joining the trio in the living room.

Content to watch for a few moments as dad and babies enjoyed each other’s company to the sounds of Selena Gomez overhead, she didn’t intrude on the play time until James wandered too close to the arm of the couch. Julianna moved forward and plucked the wayward child from the edge; he squealed when she grabbed him like it was some sort of game. Jules smiled before sitting down on the couch and setting James down at her feet.

It was nearly akin to sharks and blood the way in which the twins stormed on Julianna as soon as she had sat. James immediately turned around and pawed at her jeans, trying to use the grip to pull himself into a standing position. Lucy crawled over as quickly as she could, displeased with James trying to get all of her attention.

Enormous blue eyes gazed up at her with an adoration that was too intense for their having spent two days together. “Hello babies,” she cooed, petting each of their heads. “Were you telling dad all about your exciting day today?” She continued to touch them affectionately as she spoke to them; the twins seemed entranced by her gentle tone. “Did you tell him about our walk through the botanical gardens and our trip to the grocery store?” The twins giggled almost as if they understood as they clamored around her legs. Talking to them this way was a little game that Julianna liked to play. It kept the twins engaged while also informing Owen to the nature of their typical activities.

“But now I think it’s time for bed,” she announced, tapping each of their noses.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - saronym - 05-02-2017

Not being a terribly fussy parent, Owen felt no jealousy or concern at seeing the children’s obvious strong bond to their new nanny. That was how children were. So easily did they love with the proper positive affection. And Julianna seemed to know just how to care for them. He felt really more at ease. There was always tension in Sophia when she interacted with the children. He wondered whether she had wanted them after all or had agreed to the pregnancy out of some feeling of obligation to him.

“Oh the botanical gardens are nice this time of year.” Owen added in conversation to Julianna. “They have a butterfly exhibit for kids coming up. Maybe the whole family can go.” He suggested before draining his cup. “Do you think they’re too young to appreciate that sort of thing?”

Owen nodded his agreement that it was bedtime and gave an exaggerated yawn at James. It wasn’t a few moments later that the baby mimicked his yawn and rubbed at his eyes. Owen knew it was a sympathetic response he’d provoked but smiled and tried to take another drink of wine. He found the glass empty.

Well fuck.

He toasted Julianna with the empty cup. “Suppose I could have another without getting a headache tomorrow morning?”

He was used to asking Sophia’s permission for him to overindulge in alcohol. She often criticized him because he became a bit giddy and talkative and needy.

"Can I get you a glass?" He asked as he pushed himself up from the floor to retrieve another serving of wine for himself.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - megs - 05-05-2017

The nanny looked over to where the father was lounged on the living room floor, when he made comment on their outing for the day. She turned the softness of her gaze and her gentle smile on him, while still petting the babies affectionately. “Yes, it was wonderful,” she agreed, before shaking her head at the inquisitive part of his conversation. Her smile brightened. “Oh, not at all. I think it sound like a wonderful idea.”

She couldn’t help but chuckle as James’ yawn prompted one in his sister. The twins leaned heavily against Julianna, eyelids flickering closed and then popping open as their heads bobbed with fatigue. Standing carefully, Julianna picked up James and then Lucy, propping one child on either hip. She cocked her head at Owen. “My trick after drinking is to drink water and take an ibuprofen before bed,” she explained with a sly smile. Her answer wasn’t a yes, but it wasn’t a no either. She was simply sharing the information to make conversation, since she didn’t see any reason for him to actually be asking her for permission.

For a moment, Julianna seemed caught off guard by Owen’s offer. It wasn’t often that she was invited to indulge in something with a client. “Okay,” she agreed, but noticed that her own tone sounded unsure. “Definitely,” she elaborated, more confidently this time. “Let me put the twins to bed first.” She turned and left with the babies, down the hall and towards their rooms. Still murmuring softly to them all the while.

When Julianna had first arrived, Mrs. Kingston-Hart had mentioned that the children did not often sleep through the night. Julianna had surveyed their room and noticed that the problem was their cribs being too far apart. They couldn’t see each other, couldn’t hear each other in the darkness. Now, their beds were situation together against one wall of the room. The new placement had sort of ruined the aesthetic, but the twins were happy and slept peacefully. They were also close enough now, that Julianna could sit on a small stool in the middle, and sing them both to sleep with quiet and melodic lullabies.

Between the excitement of the day, and of dad coming home she didn’t even need to finish the first song. She double-checked that they were properly secure and tucked in; she double-checked the nightlight and the baby monitor, and left the door open a crack when she exited the room.

Returning to the kitchen she found Owen. “So,” she began, rubbing her hands nervously over jean-clad thighs. “How was your trip?” She ventured this realm of conversation to be sociable and polite.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - saronym - 05-06-2017

Owen was grazing in the fridge for food while Julianna put the twins to bed. She returned asking about his trip. He shrugged and closed the refrigerator. “It was a business trip. I didn’t get to enjoy it really.” He bent down to open a drawer where a fair collection of wine was stored. “Take your pick. Help yourself to anything you’d like. I’m going to go kiss those babies really quick.”

He left her long enough to sneak into the twin’s nursery and press a kiss to each of their sleeping foreheads. He made sure the monitor was turned up enough and then left the room and shut the door closed quietly behind him.

When Owen returned to the kitchen he had a satisfied smile on his face. “They are so cute when they’re sleeping.” He gushed full of fatherly love at the moment.

Owen refilled his wine glass and flipped open his iPad to check emails and notifications while they chatted. “I’m the CEO and founder of Locum Technologies, if you didn’t know. We’re working on a reusable rocket right now. And anyways, I went to beg this physicist to come work for me. He’s very determined to stay a professor at Carnegie Mellon, but he did promise to come over and tour our facilities. So hopefully I can woo him.” Owen smiled and shrugged again, “So that was my trip.”

He glanced back at the screen, squinted for a second, and then burst out laughing. “Oh my god! Look at this!” Owen turned the iPad to show Julianna an Amazon listing for animal onesies for infants. “Could you imagine the twins in these?!” His voice pitched higher and faded into a strong German accent in his excitement.

He pulled the iPad away, “Wait wait wait. Let’s go get comfortable. I can tell scrolling through all these is going to take a while.” Owen lead the way to the couch and plopped down with his glass of wine and iPad. He seemed to fully expect that Julianna follow and join him.

It didn’t occur to him that this nanny would perhaps find it strange that her boss wanted to hang out, but he was a little bit tipsy and forgot conventions.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - megs - 05-07-2017

Julianna didn’t know anything about wine. Now, here she was presented with what she could only assume was a very expensive collection of it. She stared down at the options, while he trotted off to say goodnight to the twins. Red, white, rosé ; she honestly wasn’t sure if she liked wine, and worried that any selection she made on her own would be wasted on her. Balking under the pressure of a decision, she closed the drawer and got a glass of her own and poured herself a fair amount from the bottle Owen had already opened.

She was sipping it tentatively when he returned. The smell wasn’t exactly selling her on the beverage and she was trying not to wrinkle her nose behind the glass. A mix of flavors she wasn’t expecting her her tongue. She found the wine to be sweeter than expected, but also very dry. She looked down at the dark liquid and swirled it around in her glass to watch the liquid move. “They’re wonderful babies,” she agreed, giving the wine a second chance as he delved into the topic of his trip. She nodded along with his story, listening quietly and not mentioning that she had had to Google search him to find out anything after Sophia had left in a rush.

She smiled when he smiled, it was inevitable. Something infectious about the curve of his mouth. Jules was going to ask him more about the professor, or if he had been able to see any if Philadelphia while he was there, but she was prevented from attempting further small talk by laughter. Green eyes dropped from his face to the screen in his hands and she was greeted with an image of an infant in a onesie that made it look like a bear, and she immediately giggled. “Awww, is that one a tiger,” she half-whined in her own excited tone.

Julianna didn’t think twice about following Owen to the couch. She sat down next to him, just close enough to see the tablet in his lap. It wasn’t so much that the nanny was forgetting conventions, she just liked that she was being treated like a person for the moment, and not just the help. “Oh my gosh,” she gushed, quickly reaching across him and tapping the screen, loading a webpage of lamb jumpsuits in different colors. “They’re too cute.”

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - saronym - 05-08-2017

When Jullianna reached over him to load a new page featuring infants in lamb onesies, Owen put his hand over his eyes and peeked out from between the fingers. “I can’t look at these or I’m going to buy them all.”

He scooted over next to her so that they could balance the iPad half on his leg and half on hers. They both had a better view that way and could navigate the screen freely. It placed them thigh to thigh. He wasn't shy about moving next to her and their bodily closeness didn't seem to phase him at all.

“I’m a terrible drunk Amazon user.” He groaned thinking about how much trouble he got in with Sophia for buying the weirdest shit. “One time I got a call from my wife while I was at work. She does this voice when she’s mad at me. She said ‘Owen, do you want to explain why there is life sized cardboard cutout of Lady Gaga in my living room right now.’” After Owen imitated his wife he devolved into laughing so hard that he snorted a little bit which only made him laugh harder.

“Thing is, I couldn’t explain it, Julianna! I just - I guess I was drunk and thought I needed Lady Gaga in my life, you know? She’s a beautiful woman, why not a cardboard cutout.” He waved his hand, brushing it off. “Well anyways, Sophia made me send it back.”

The bottom of the Amazon page was showing further suggestions for baby onesies. The thumbnails were too small for him to make out one that had a lot of orangey brown in it. He tapped the screen to get a better view at the costume and gushed. “Oh my God. Look at the cute chipmunk.”

The funny thing is h wasn’t looking at a chipmunk at all, but actually a flying squirrel costume and he didn’t know the English word for the animal.

A few moments later a rapid knocking at the door disrupted the fun. Owen frowned at his watch, wondering who was looking for him at this hour. The most reasonable guess was Maeve as she was the only friend he had who would just drop-by unannounced.

“I guess I better get that.” He said as he handed off the tablet to her and pushed himself up.

Owen opened the door to find himself presented with his wife’s assistant, Ginger, who was wearing a very tiny and slinky black dress and heels that she seemed barely able to stand up in. “So sorry to bother you so late Mr. Hart,” she started with her fake apology, clutching a file in both hands in front of her.

“It’s no trouble, Ginger. Is everything alright?”

She pouted, jutting her lip out and dipping her head. Locks of long straightened red hair fell into her face and she gazed at him through her hair. “No.”

She was trying to be coquettish, but Owen received none of her signals. “Oh really? Why don’t you come in and tell me what happened? Can I call someone for you?” He truly thought the woman was in need of help.

She took his invitation to enter, stepping into the doorway in front of him but not moving beyond that. “Oh.” A fake self-conscious laugh. Her hand on his chest. “No. It’s nothing like that.”

Owen frowned and moved further into the foyer and away from the hand that didn’t belong on his chest. He seemed to be picking up on her vibes. He turned and walked down the length of hall, leading to the rest of his home and spoke over his shoulder. “So what’s the matter, Ginger?”

Ginger was left trotting after him making a sort of shuffling and clicking rhythm with her heels on the flooring until she met carpet. “Sorry for the way I’m dressed, Mr. Hart. I was just on my way to go out drinking and I realized I forgot to give you your wife’s itinerary. Oh - uhm, am I interrupting something?”

Her question was in reference to Julianna. Owen had led them into the living room so as to have a chaperone with his wife’s assistant who seemed to have come to give him something other than a simple itinerary and seemed to be insisting he evaluate her outfit. There wasn't much to evaluate.

“It's fine, Ginger." He insisted but his heart wasn't in it. "This is Julianna, the nanny for the twins. Sophia hired her. Today.” Owen took to informing Ginger of the facts with a slightly annoyed tone and clipped way of speaking.

Ginger laughed, covering her mouth with one hand, and touching his bicep with the other. “Oh my God. Where’s my head at. Hi thereeee.” She crooned the greeting at Julianna and finger waved at her. Her other hand remained on his bicep.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - megs - 05-08-2017

They sat close together and tittered about cute baby clothes and his purchase of a Lady Gaga cut out. She didn’t mind how close he was, even though she probably should have. It was entirely too close to be to someone you just met, let alone someone who was paying you an exorbitant amount of money to take care of his children. Usually, when her charges were asleep and her duties were fulfilled, Julianna would retreat to her room and do nothing particularly special. Hanging out with Owen was a nice change of pace.

She propped her elbow up on the couch, almost behind his shoulders, and propped her head up on it. She leaned into him somewhat, to crowd around the screen. “It’s a flying squirrel,” she corrected without sounding patronizing or condescending. “Or a sugar glider.” She giggled and pointed to the scraps of fabric between the arms and the legs on the onesie, and briefly dipped into a conversation about their function on an actual sugar glider.

Julianna had just taken the liberty to switch over to YouTube to show him videos of cute little flying rodents when there was a knock on the door. She accepted responsibility of the tablet as he went to answer that. She queued up a few videos while he was gone, anyway. She looked up from the device when the voices in the hallway turned into bodies in the room. She set the tablet aside and stood when the redhead addressed her. She was all smiles as she walked over them for introductions. Her smile it fell lopsided as her gaze flickered between the hand on Owen’s arm and their faces.

“It’s nice to meet you, Miss Portian,” she held out her hand for the other woman. She’d been informed of an assistant named Ginger that would be coming by with useful information for her. “Mrs. Kingston-Hart told me you would be stopping by with some things for me?” There was suddenly an awkward tension in the group; Julianna eyed Ginger's dress.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - saronym - 05-13-2017

Ginger was left recovering from the shock of finding the nanny still out and about in the living room.

She peered pointedly about the room, “Where are those precious babies?”

The only purpose of the question was to remind Julianna her duty to them. The logic being if the nanny wasn’t in the same room as the babies then she wasn’t fulfilling her duties. She hoped it would rid her and Owen the nanny for a few moments.

But that dream was quickly ruined by Owen who answered for Julianna, “They’ve been put to bed for the evening. Julianna mentioned some items?” He prompted the redhead reminding the woman that Julianna had addressed her and she’d rudely ignored the greeting altogether.

Ginger blinked in what appeared to be visible annoyance, she sent a wave of red hair behind her shoulder with a flick of her wrist. She opened up the expandable pendaflex folder, thumbed the first tab and pulled out a couple of papers for Owen. “Miss Kingston-Hart’s travel itinerary,” she thrust the rest of the folder at Julianna, “the information for the pediatrician and nutritionist, a brief overview of the babies’ medical history, emergency contact information, and credit card information, a list of what Miss. Kingston-Hart deems to be necessary purchases, and a list of suggestions for age-appropriate outings.”

She clapped her hands together and held them at the level of her chest. The effect was to create a more dramatic line of cleavage out of her already lifted and smashed together breasts. She turned to Owen and smiled before touching his arm again, “Is there anything else you need from me? Anything at all.”

Owen was eyeing the itinerary before him and didn’t seem pleased with the content he found. He let the papers fall to his side with an annoyed sharp slap against his sweat pants. “Yeah actually.” He moved away from her suddenly, “Give me a sec,” he said as he left the room altogether and leaving the women alone with one another.

Ginger huffed and looked highly put out and disappointed in whatever she’d planned for her trip to the Hart household. She looked over Julianna the way a pack animal vying for leadership looks at it’s competition. She’d scratch and bite the little bitch if that’s what it took. Such were her thoughts when Owen returned. With a sort of flicking motion of his wrist he held out a business card for Ginger who seemed oh so very pleased to be receiving it.

“My email address there,” Owen pointed at the bottom of the card, “next time you can just email this kind of thing to me. Saves you the time and effort in stopping by.”

She completely deflated. A flush of embarrassment crept to her cheeks as she realized his gesture was meant to shut down her current (unstated but obvious) offer and any future offers for sex. She accepted the card demurely, and gazed down at her feet. “I should go. I’m going to be late!” She said this banal sort of departure pleasantry as if one could even somehow ‘be late’ for clubbing. “Don’t bother showing me out, I know the way. Goodnight Mr. Hart.”

“Alright thanks for coming by. Have fun.”

Her heels clicked loudly on the tile in the foyer, “I will.” She called before the front door slammed.

Owen stared after that spot from where the redhead who tested his patience had been wondering whether he’d imagined the obvious come-on. “Did she just-” he started to ask of Julianna looking baffled. He gestured with the papers, “am I imagining -” he made a groaning sound and rolled his eyes.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - megs - 05-15-2017

Julianna stood between the pair, trying to look less awkward than she felt. There was a tension, mostly cause by the obvious and sexual vibe that Ginger was trying to give off. She would have been succeeding, what with the dress and the heels, had Owen had any interest in her. For the moment, she and her question went ignored as the assistant gave Owen the focus of her attention. The nanny tried to subtly pull the sleeves of her sweater over her hands to grip them with her fingers, to give them something to do.

She quickly held her hands out to accept the folder, something about Ginger’s posture suggested she would drop it, if it wasn’t retrieve. Jules mumbled her thanks, quickly scanning through the rest of the folder to confirm what the redhead claimed was inside.

Looking up from the papers suddenly as Owen left her alone with Ginger, she looked momentarily distressed and very uncomfortable. She could feel eyes on her so she turned her head to Ginger and forced a smile. “I love you dress,” she commended in an attempt to be friendly or at the very least of conversation. Her efforts were wasted on Ginger, but luckily Owen returned in time to save her from further glaring hostility.

Owen and Julianna stood side-by-side as Ginger excused herself and sashayed away from them. Julianna flinched when the door slammed, a lift of her shoulders, a quick blink. She let the file folder slap closed in her hands. She turned her head to look up at Owen.

“She was definitely hitting on you,” she confirmed with a sharp nod of her head. “I don’t think she came over here just to give you an itinerary.” An itinerary that he wasn’t entirely pleased with. Clearly, Sophia’s sudden and mostly unannounced departure displeased him.

“Your wife’s schedule looks busy,” she prompted, having seen a copy of the agenda in her own paperwork.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - saronym - 05-18-2017

“Yeah, look at this-” he jabbed his finger at the itinerary he held. “She’s bouncing around twelve cities here on the west coast, taking a break, then going to the east coast for to be announced tour dates!” There was more than a complaint in his voice. He was rather furious. “And this is how I get to find out.”

He shook his head and let the papers crunch back against his thigh. “What about the babies, you know? I’m working all the time. She just -” he stopped himself, suddenly conflicted, “I know she has a career too, but -” he sighed. He needed help organizing his thoughts on the matter. “The babies need to see their parents once in awhile.”

Owen gestured again in frustration, the papers becoming worse for wear each time. “We talked about this before we conceived. She said - you know I’m not that kind of man, I don’t think my career is more important than hers - but she agreed that I had less flexibility than her.” His voice was becoming louder and more harsh. More German accent crept through. “This tour is completely fucking voluntary. She did not have to plan this.”

It was as if Owen were taking the moment to hash out the argument that Sophia had denied him by leaving suddenly. Julianna was the medium through which to channel his frustrations.

“And Ginger,” he rolled his eyes and groaned loudly, “what am I supposed to do? Tattle on her?” He snatched at his wine glass that was resting where he’d left it on the table. He took a big gulp in frustration. “I’m sorry.” He apologized as if that drink of wine had cleared his mind a bit. “This is not what I wanted to come home to after a trip.”

He moved away from her and crashed onto the couch careful not to slosh his wine.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - megs - 05-18-2017

Julianna was silent as Owen laid out his complaints with Sophia’s impromptu trip. She knew that he wasn’t asking her for an explanation or an opinion on what was occurring; she was more of a sounding board. A body for him to bounce his frustrations off of. This was not unusual in her line of work; a warm body was a warm body when you were looking to vent. She managed not to look put out or uncomfortable by the position she had been put in, she looked up at him and nodded sympathetically with his point, holding the file folder against her chest.

“There’s no need to apologize,” she offered, when he’d reach an end, even an unsatisfactory one. “I certainly understand your frustrations.” She turned slightly at the waist, to watch him walk off and towards the couch when he moved away from her. He dumped himself onto the couch and she turned to survey the bottle of wine that they’d been drinking from, a little less than half full and abandoned on the counter.

She traded the file folder for the wine and followed him into the living room. She perched next to him on the edge of the couch and refilled her glass, before refilling his. They’d been having fun, and he’d been in a good mood before Ginger had showed up. Maybe she could cheer him up again, even if only for a moment. “I know I am no replacement for your wife,” she began, setting the bottle down. “And I know the situation isn’t ideal, but I promise I will take wonderful care of Lucy and James. You can rely on me for anything.”

Julianna reached out and smoothed her hand down his arm, because he still seemed disappointed. She knew there wasn’t anything she could do really to ease that tension. That was something he would have to work out with his wife. “As for Ginger, I’m sure she’s harmless. I think she got the hint that you weren’t interested.”

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - saronym - 05-25-2017

Owen had let out all of his steam and fell into the couch like a deflated balloon. He stayed sprawled there until she returned with the bottle of wine. Then he perked up and offered her his glass enthusiastically with a sort of perverse little grin as if he were misbehaving by drinking as much as he so desired.

She was no replacement for his wife, she said. Though he agreed with the statement on face value, he couldn’t help shake the feeling that hired help was a replacement in many ways. It wasn’t that a wife was necessarily a nanny. That’s not what he meant. But it seemed to him when he thought about the way they had played with the babies together, laughed over Selena Gomez music and onesies for the babies, and shared wine that somehow in those types of moments she was a replacement for his wife.

“Thank you, I appreciate you saying that. It seems to me that you will be good for the twins to have around.” He tried to smile encouragingly but the thoughts of a purchased wife in her had consumed him.

It wasn’t a pleasant line of thought to entertain, but one that sort of swept up his thoughts in his impressionable slightly boozy state of mind.

“I hope so. I don’t know what got into her, honestly.” He combed his fingers roughly through his hair while he shook his head in genuine confusion over Ginger’s behavior. “I thought when I became a father that all that kind of stuff wouldn’t be - a problem? You know? That a man with children screams unavailability.” He shrugged and sipped at his wine. “But it seems the opposite. I cannot leave the house holding one of those babies without a flock of women greeting me.”

Owen smiled that perverse grin again. “I guess fatherhood has many perks. Except those perks don't really work with my wife. Since she wants absolutely nothing to do with me anymore since those babies were born." That overshare was left in a silence vacuum caused by the awkward moment. Owen knew he'd said too much. Oh, well it was out there. "So anyways, about the chipmunk.” He changed the subject when his eye caught the videos queued up on the iPad that was still laying on the table.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - megs - 05-25-2017

Julianna liked the way he seemed to perk up when she appeared with the wine. She knew that it wasn’t wholly her presence that had inspired that little grin from him, but she liked know that she could make him feel a little better in that small way. However, the smile that resulted as their conversation continued had her wondering if she’d managed to say the wrong thing. She returned her hand back to her side of the couch and sipped at her wine.

She laughed lightly, and shook her head. Her thumb made circles over the rim of the wine glass. “A man with a baby is a hot ticket item,” she joked. “Especially an attractive one,” she found herself saying this without thinking. She cleared her throat as if it would cover up the statement and took another nervous sip of wine. “Not all women relate children to availability.” The light shrug of her shoulders was a specific reference to the over-eager Ginger

He mentioned Sophia in a comment about their sex life. Julianna lengthened the sip of wine she had been working on to avoid having to say anything right away. Even though he’d broached the subject she didn’t know if it was appropriate for her to comment. The words were perhaps just the ramblings of a tipsy man who was upset with his wife. “Some women have a hard time falling into their usual…habits after giving birth.” She explained, trying to be helpful. “It’s very unlikely that it has anything to do with you, specifically.”

To Jules, it sounded like Owen and Sophia were experiencing a severe lack of communication. It wasn’t unusual for people who worked they did. She’d seen similar situations with some of her past families. Misaligned schedules and long work days.

A quiet settled. They filled it with wine and tentative glances.
“Oh!” she expressed, suddenly remembering that she’d been about to show him something. She hadn’t thought he’d still be interested once their giddiness over the onesies had passed. Perhaps, this was just his way of smoothing out the tension before they drifted off to bed. She shifted her position so she was seated closer to him, much like they’d been before. “They flying squirrel,” she corrected, reaching over to tap a brief and cute nature documentary that featured the adorable rodents. Julianna watched with an amused smile as a sugar glider flew from branch to branch over the sounds of a narrator.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - saronym - 05-28-2017

Her words about ‘usual habits’ stuck in his mind even as he tried to enjoy the cute images on screen.

“I didn’t even get to have sex with her to make those babies.” He said suddenly before taking another gulp of his wine. Grey eyes were still glued on the screen watching baby flying squirrels teeter around. He then glanced to Jules, “We ah went to -” his hand waved around searching for the right word, “fertility specialist? They did it all clinically, you know?”

Apparently he was just going to tell her everything. It was the wine. It was her openness. It was his need to tell it.

“Sophia didn’t really want children. I wanted at least two. So she came up with the idea to make have twins, right? Two babies at once to get it done with.”

He laughed rather morosely, “She doesn’t like it when I joke that I fucked a specimen cup. What a sexy specimen cup, too. So hot.”

Clearly, he was not happy about the way the twins were conceived.

“I love my babies though - I just wish - we had done it naturally. That probably sounds weird because if we’d done it naturally chances are we wouldn’t have Lucy and James, but that’s not what I mean. I wouldn’t trade them for anything. I sort of just -” he sighed, not sure how to describe it, “Sophia tells me I have unnecessarily romantic ideas about conception, pregnancy, birth, fatherhood. All of that.”

He laughed again, this time it was less negative. “I try to tell her she didn't have the right ideas. If you’re going to go through all that trouble of carrying twins, at least she could have let me fuck her, you know? Those are the fun bits.” He sipped sassily at his wine and added, “Oh well, her loss.”

Though it seemed to also be his loss.

RE: Two of a Kind [Closed] - megs - 05-29-2017

Jules looked up from the video and watched Owen in profile as he spoke about the twins’ conception. She was mostly shocked, that he was telling her the details so freely. She could tell that he was bothered, perhaps even hurt by the truth of the matter, so she listened with sympathy. He glanced at her, and she nodded to emphasize that he had her attention.

His sad laughter had the appropriate effect. She felt sad in turn for having heard it, but she forced a smile. It was meant to be encouraging, he was attempting to joke and she didn’t want to discourage him from sharing his feelings. This was clearly something he needed to tell. Julianna felt awkward, it was too personal for a first meeting, but if talking about it helped, she could could be patient. She was here to help, after all.

Setting down her wine glass, she traded it for the nearly empty bottle of wine. She cupped his hand that held his wine glass with her own, and brought it closer to top it off. She emptied the bottle in the process, but at this point she didn’t figure it could help or hurt his mood or the situation. He was already down about his wife and the whole fertility thing. She released him slowly, fingers trailing across the back of his hand.

“I think the best thing to do,” she said softly, patting his knee before setting the bottle down and picking up her own glass again. “Is focus on spending time with those precious babies. You have a beautiful family.” She cocked her head, and smiled at him, not quite trying to convince him that that was enough to not worry about the details, but close to it.

“Maybe when Sophia comes home you can talk to her about how you feel? There are probably some things like this that she wants to talk about, too? Things will get better, Mr. Hart.”