alonimi
Love & War [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Love & War [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=697)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Love & War [Closed] - megs - 06-25-2017

Noticing that little pat on the bed did not prompt her to move immediately. The lack of clarity in the gesture had her hesitating. Her own sensibilities had her hesitating. She had already pushed so many of her own limits regarding touch and personal space in the short time she had entertained the emperor. She couldn’t decide if one more was nothing, or too much. Julianna waited to see what Kenna would do. If the tiger took that command as a signal for herself, the queen was satisfied to remain where she was. Kenna, however, was more content to lie on the cool stone flooring at the emperor’s feet. There was something lazy in her posture, but the way she intently watched Julianna had her feeling like it was a ruse.

In a way, Julianna wanted to make it clear that she could handle the emperor and whatever he decided to throw at her. Red skirts swirled around her feet as she walked towards the bed and the space he had indicated. Perching herself on the edge of the mattress, she turned her body towards his, giving him her full attention as he spoke. Ears pointed towards him, her tail tapped idly on the bed. Her posture was stiffer than his, certainly, but she was sitting in private on a bed with a man she’d just met with a tiger at his feet and she felt as if she deserved some credit.

“It takes a lot of courage to see something that needs to change and be the one to change it.” He’d taken to lounging on the bed and Julianna didn’t turn to look at him as he spoke. Her gaze turned down towards the fabric across her legs and she smoothed out the wrinkles with the flat of her hand. “I’ve always found that the common people are a country’s greatest resource.” Julianna glanced at Owen over her shoulder to find him studying her in a way. She kept her ears from falling flat, but her tail picked up a slightly quicker cadence. “Without them, what would we really be? Figureheads, grabbing at power that doesn’t exist without them?” Her hands moved from her lap, to either side of her and she used the as leverage to scoot slightly farther back on the bed. Less perching, less rigidity. She pulled her legs into the mattress and tucked them close to her body. She was facing him again, easier to converse.

“I will admit I underestimated you, Lord Hartwydt. There is certainly more to you than I let myself believe. It is...a refreshing discovery.”

RE: Love & War [Closed] - saronym - 06-25-2017

When she turned towards him, his eyes swept down the curve of her hips which seemed accentuated by the elegant way she tucked her legs under her. He was an experienced man when it came to relations with women, but being close and intimate with the queen while fully dressed and not even touching one another was a thrill to him. One that he wanted to keep experiencing. He couldn’t remember the last time he had shared private words with someone else like this.

“You’re right, the commoners give us power.” He nodded along with her discerning statements.

She complimented him and it drew a genuine smile out of him. His eyes cast down to watch his finger draw circles along the coverlet in front of him. “High praise from the woman who insulted my manhood not even a night ago.”

He lifted his gaze back to her, “I can’t say I blame you for your first impressions of me. Sometimes I feel...compelled to play a certain role. To appear a certain way for a certain audience, if you catch my meaning. My advisors, I believe, sometimes think that I am irrational, crazy even.”

He shrugged maybe he was maybe he wasn’t. “There is pressure on me to marry.” This seemed a sudden topic change, but he pursued it. “I’ve told my advisors that I refuse to marry until I find a woman I can love, and who will love me in return. They’ve informed me that I am foolish and impractical. But I think that I’m being entirely practical and methodical. If I am to share a bed with someone, raise heirs, and jointly rule my empire with them...shouldn’t I love them? Shouldn’t our union be based on something that isn’t tangible and easily ruined like treaties?”

He was strongly hinting at her own betrothal arranged by her parents in some kind of economic agreement. Owen was curious to probe this line of conversation to see at what position he should begin his assault on the betrothal to claim her for his own. How hard would he have to push before she fell?

RE: Love & War [Closed] - megs - 06-26-2017

She laughed softly, eyes skirting away from him when he reminded her of their banter the night before. There was something demure in the dark finger of lashes across the hollows of her eyes. “We both have appearances to keep,” she lifted her sights to his face once more. “I certainly couldn’t allow some brash emperor to insult me in my own dining hall without consequence.” She smiled coyly at him, shifting her legs in such a way that made her seem like she was moving closer to him.

Her ears twitched once before standing upright and swiveling in his direction at the mention of marriage. Her tail skirted across the bed, accidentally brushing against his fingers that played against the coverlet before darting away again. She cocked her head, loose hairs falling over her shoulder. Dark strands danced as she nodded her agreement.

“Of course you should love them.” She cleared her throat as her tail curled into her lap, as it often did with sensitive topics. Julianna knew the topic of treaties didn’t come up coincidentally. She hummed in her throat, brow withering thoughtfully. “When my parents designed the trade treaty with Delenveaux they inserted a clause that betrothed myself to their son Jean-Etienne.” Her tail flickered out of her lap, again, how quickly she moved from discomfort to annoyance. “Jean-Etienne is the third de Vois son. He has nothing. He is...nothing.”

Julianna inhaled deeply, squaring her shoulders, a resolute determination glittered in her eyes. “His entire visit here is renegotiate the treaty, and for him to survey what he thinks will soon belong to him. Jean-Etienne doesn’t deserve Veridian, and he doesn’t deserve me. I plan on dissolving our seemingly imminent marriage.”

She blinked, suddenly, feeling as if she had said too much. Spoken of herself for too long. “I - uh - agree with you.” She said slowly, softly, a flush of embarrassment tinging her cheeks.

RE: Love & War [Closed] - saronym - 06-26-2017

Owen was completely enthralled with the timid queen, who, it seemed was inching her way closer to him both literally and figuratively. His attention was captured by the modest dip in her gaze when her tail - like velvet or down - brushed across the back of his knuckles. He tracked the movement of the appendage curiously with his eyes until it settled in her lap.

Third?” He echoed behind her in disbelief even while she went on to speak of the man as nothing. Oh that sure bolstered his pride. Owen was almost disappointed that he wouldn’t have a more worthy opponent. He did so enjoy conflict. But, he had no experience in competing with another man for the hand of the same woman and would soon enough learn about himself that he was an incredibly jealous man and had no taste for such games.

His eyes glittered with the intrigue she revealed to him concerning renegotiating the treaty and cancelling her engagement. Mouth curled up as he considered how the news would be explosive. He was impressed with the queen. She blushed when he touched her but was bold when it came to demanding her worth.

“You certainly couldn’t allow some brash prince to insult your worth without consequence.” He grinned when he threw her own words back at her in a way he thought was mighty clever of him.

Owen sat up higher on his elbow and leaned towards her, eyes twinkling with whatever he had to say next. “I’ll let you in on a little secret.” His hand slid across the coverlet until it found her forearm and he touched her confidentially as he leaned in. “I burned that bridge over the Jadeson.” He said this as if she didn’t already know. “Of course, to delay the prince for my own petty reasons.” He crinkled his nose. “I don’t care for the politics, or the royals, of Delenveaux. And if negotiations deteriorate and you find yourself at odds with the bastards well-” he shrugged as if he were speaking of things entirely casual, “-I’ve been looking for a reason to go to war with them. And I’ve got a sizeable company already here.”

Owen’s hand tightened on her wrist, “I think you should be the queen of Delenveaux, Julianna. And not by marriage to a snotty prince.”

What he was suggesting was definitely a plot against one of Veridian’s long standing allies. A brazen and dangerous suggestion if heard by the wrong ears, but Owen was a bold man.

RE: Love & War [Closed] - megs - 06-27-2017

Her laughter rang briefly as he used the words she’d just supplied in turn. He certainly wasn’t wrong, and the turn of phrase properly applied to the new conversation.

Her features still read entertained as she unthinkingly leaned towards him as well. She was drawn, not only to the emperor himself, but the confidential turn of the conversation. Her ears remained at intrigued attention, and she cocked her head at him as he revealed he had a secret. She didn’t seem to notice, or else she didn’t mind, the touch of his hand against her arm.

Julianna didn’t react to the revelation that he had burned the bridge. That of course she had already known, and there was nothing to be done about it now. It was getting fixed, it wasn’t worth the continued fuss. Though, the discovery that he had committed the act to delay Jean-Etienne drew a chuckle from her. Resonating low in her throat from behind closed lips. She could imagine Jean’s frustration and it amused her.

The tone of the conversation melded into something more serious. Something more bold. She expected nothing less from the emperor, but somehow, it still surprised her. Her ears swept backwards towards the crown of her head. He spoke of war so casually, and it highlighted the world of difference between them. He was a conqueror, first and foremost. Her eyes widened as he expressed the idea that she should be queen of Delenveaux.

“Even if I married Jean, I wouldn’t be queen of Delenveaux,” she said, as if it were relevant. It wasn’t, because Owen was making it very clear that marriage was not what he had in mind. Green eyes fell to the fingers that held her wrist tightly. The grip wasn’t painful, but the pressure made her suddenly aware of their closeness. When had her face gotten so close to his? “We will have to wait and see what happens,” she suggested, sitting upright once more and separating their faces. She didn’t remove her arm from his grasp. Her voice lowered. “While of course, I do not wish to go to war, I will not be so quick as to decline your generous offer.”

RE: Love & War [Closed] - saronym - 06-29-2017

Owen studied her face carefully as she made her counter-argument to his proposition. It wasn’t a counter so much as an agreement to consider it. He liked that glint in her eye. What had done it, he wondered. Did she imagine herself on the throne of Delenveaux? Did she imagine the look on Jean’s face when war was announced? Did she imagine the battle?

“Wise decision.” Owen said leaning back away from her when the spell seemed to be broken between them. “One of my advisors always tells me to say no to everything the first time around. Good negotiating strategy.” He smiled at her, “So we’ll revisit when the time comes.”

Just then the door opened unexpectedly to admit a confused looking Master Rivers. “Oh -” he backed up from the doorway. “Excuse me, My Lord.” He bowed his head to Julianna. “Your Majesty.” His show of being surprised and taken aback was just that, a show. The guards outside had informed him the Emperor and Queen were sharing a private moment within and he was curious to interrupt it if only to catch them unawares to evaluate how things were getting along.

It seemed to be going quite nicely from his survey of the room. They were sitting on the bed together, he lounging and she sort of leaning towards him. Seemingly, they were engaged in some intense conversation as their voices had been low and confident before he had pushed open the door.

“I came to check back on Kenna.” He lied, he was merely returning to his chambers after giving instructions to an unwilling young guardsman to woo the burdensome Hand Maiden to keep her occupied.

“Your Majesty, I was just this morning speaking with your handmaiden I do not know if you have had the opportunity to speak with her yet, but I extend my deepest thanks for the hospitality you have shown myself and the company. I believe I speak for the Emperor and I when I praise your generosity. I pray that you would give us a timeline for departure as I would hate to wear out a welcome so warm. Lady Maeve suggested that we make our time here short.”

Owen barked a derisive laugh. “That handmaiden is bold to put her opinion before her Queen’s.”

RE: Love & War [Closed] - megs - 06-30-2017

For moment, she looked as if she would say more to him on the matters of Delanveaux and prince Jean-Etienne, but they were interrupted by the appearance of one of Lord Hartwydt’s advisers. Julianna had yet to be acquainted with the dark-haired man, formally, but she knew him to be Master Holland Rivers, thanks to a brief and preliminary report of the Emperor’s officers from Maeve.

“It’s no trouble at all,” she chimed politely, returning his deferential nod with a slight tilt of her own head. The entrance of another into the room suddenly reminded Julianna of propriety and social constructs and all of the things she had been ignoring by sitting so closely with Owen on the bed. She gracefully pushed her way towards the edge of the bed, and carefully stepped down from it, avoiding placing her footing near the lounging tiger. She arranged her skirts, and clasped her hands in front of her thighs, as Holland thanked her for her generosity on behalf of the emperor’s company.

Julianna laughed as well, but it was gentler and kinder than the snide sound that Owen made. Her ears twitched, playfully. “Maeve has always been strong-willed, and yes…” she glanced at Owen over her shoulder, before turning her attention back to Holland. “Opinionated. I hope her fiery nature hasn’t been too much for you.”

“As for now, I feel inclined to leave the length of your visitation open-ended. As I believe it stated in my letter?” She cocked a brow, but her grin was wide enough to show the elongated curves of her canine teeth. “If that is to change in the coming days, I will of course, let you know.”

“I will speak with lady Maeve.” Her tail twitched as she walked towards Holland and skirted around him. This statement served as the predecessor to her departure. “Enjoy the rest of your day, gentlemen. I hope to see you at dinner.”

RE: Love & War [Closed] - saronym - 07-17-2017

Owen scoffed at the idea that the frustrating handmaiden could be too much for him. It seemed that their tete-a-tete was coming to a close with the interruption from Holland, so Owen, too, rose from the bed. The relaxing tiger lifted her head when her master’s boots met the floor. With a bored yawn she pushed herself up to stand next to him watched as the queen - her adversary - moved towards the door.

Holland laughed politely at the queen’s joke and inclined his head in acquiescence. “Yes. So gracious was your offering, how could we pass it up?” He smiled knowingly at her as if they shared some secret joke. “Thank you, Your Grace.” He bowed his head respectfully as she moved past him and he made room for her to do so without risking any unnecessary physical contact knowing the Veridian customs.

“I’ll show you out.” Owen offered and also moved past his advisor who gave the Emperor a pointedly amused look. Kenna snorted almost as if annoyed that her master went after the other cat instead of staying by her side.

In the antechamber, Owen caught up to Julianna. He placed a hand on her lower back as he approached from behind and moved next to her. The smile on his face was more a smirk than anything. “Well, I should say our second meeting went better than the first.” He bent somewhat closer to her as if to impart a secret. “I wonder what future meetings will hold for us. Ah!” He said suddenly before she could respond. “Here we are.” Owen pulled open the door for her, bowed his head, and held his hand out for her to pass by him.

Before she could move past he captured her hand and brought her knuckles to his lips. The gesture was performed openly for all eyes that happened to be in the hall to see. The Emperor leaving private chambers with the Queen in custody and leaving her with a kiss to her hand.

“See you at dinner.” He said against the backs of slim fingers before he released her and disappeared back inside the chambers.

RE: Love & War [Closed] - megs - 09-07-2017

Vivek was known around the castle to be a bit of a troublemaker.

Though a magical familiar, the over-sized barn owl appeared to maneuver with a mind of its own and less on the whims of his master. Despite the birds fondness for theft and pranks, he often parted from his latest heist with no more than a loud and stern scolding. No one would ever dare to harm the animal, lest the wished to face the wrath of the royal sorcerer.

Even now, Darcy Weatherfare, council to the queen on all things arcane, had no idea where his owl was. Which was fine, he couldn’t be bothered with Vivek’s whereabouts on a constant basis. As long as the creature was around when he needed it, that was good enough. He had too much to do to babysit and spirited and free-willed owl.

Vivek had been appearing less and less in Darcy’s study with the arrival of their Eskran guests. Darcy didn’t question it, Darcy didn’t care. He didn’t even care enough to have introduced himself to the Eskrans.

By now, it was possible that a certain alchemist had noticed himself as the object of Vivek’s attention. The bird had a sort of fascination with him. Often landing nearby to watch him as he worked. Day by day he moved a bit closer, as if to judge what the overall perception of him would be. Today, Vivek was done with playing it safe. As made evident by the way he dropped out of the ceiling, directly next to the dark-haired alchemist who had made himself comfortable in the library. Vivek squawked out at him loudly, though there was something cheerful to the noise, before he stood tall and flared out his wings in a clear demand for attention.

RE: Love & War [Closed] - saronym - 09-10-2017

The alchemist in question was quite aware of the nosy owl which had become increasingly curious to him. Where he came from the owl was revered as a creature of supreme wisdom. And finding himself the subject of observation of such a creature served to increase his sense of competence in experimentation. Clearly the owl was an omen of the breakthroughs that he would shortly achieve.

So the cocky scientist found himself more and more embroiled with his current project which had been assigned to him by his Emperor for the war effort. So far, Renton had only managed to burn up several desks and many notes he had made on his progress.

Today would prove no different.

Having been so taken with his work, Renton didn’t notice when his usual bird observer joined him in the library. When the bird screeched suddenly in the middle of his work, Renton startled and the substances he had gathered in the middle of several drawn alchemical symbols on the wood library table burst into a lovely purple flame that spit orange sparks towards the ceiling.

The modest blast shook the nearby shelves and knocked Renton off his feet. He lay on his back in shock unable to catch his break from the fall that knocked the wind out of him. It was a miracle he hadn’t been burned, but his front and face certainly felt hot from the blast. It was unclear whether that blast was a success or a failure.

Renton clambered to his feet and stared in horror at the fire he had started in their royal hosts’ library.

“Oh Lord. Oh no. What have I done.” He lamented in his natural tongue while he looked for a means to put out the fire.

RE: Love & War [Closed] - megs - 09-14-2017

Vivek cocked his head at the frazzled alchemist as he scrambled to his feet. The bird appeared unbothered by the flames that still licked over the wooden desk at which he had been working. He chirped, wings tucking close to his body. Vivek managed to sound annoyed that Renton wasn't immediately facing over him.

With another angry squeak, Vivek parted his wings again and stood tall near the table that was slowly being ruined. With a strong flap, feathers billowed and the alchemical fire slowly died down until the only evidence that it had happened at all was ashy scorch marks and a familiar scent. Clearly, more than an ordinary bird.

As if putting out fires was just a normal part of the owls day, he hopped up onto the singed table and peered up at Renton expectantly.

RE: Love & War [Closed] - saronym - 10-17-2017

Renton’s frantic searching for something to dampen his fire was disrupted when the owl made a noise that frightened him. He whirled around with blue eyes wide with fear that an attack was imminent. He flinched when the bird puffed itself up, but relaxed and let out a loud breathy sigh as the fire died down before his eyes.

He slowly approached the table he had ruined where the rescuer owl was now perched. Renton held his hand out timidly as if seeking approval to touch the bird.

“Nice bird.” He cooed. “Good bird. Such a pretty bird.” He complimented the owl in dulcet tones that would normally be used on children or little baby animals.

Renton stroked the backs of his index and middle over the bird’s head and down it’s back. He reached into the pocket of his robes to retrieve a biscuit wrapped in a cloth napkin he had saved from breakfast. “Would you like some?” He asked redirecting his hand from petting to unfolding the napkin to reveal a perfectly golden and crumbling biscuit.

He broke off a piece and held it forward for the bird.

“Who do you belong to, friend?” He asked as if the bird could answer.

RE: Love & War [Closed] - megs - 11-02-2017

Vivek busied himself with grooming while Renton made a slow approach. Head tucked easily under one extended wing he nudged and picked at small down feathers with his sharp beak. Despite near stalking the young alchemist, Vivek now played as if he had no interest in the man. Sensing a hand coming towards him, Vivek paused in his work, peaked out from beneath his wing and narrowed his eyes suspiciously at Renton’s hand.

Settling his wings back into place, the bird hooted quietly, and nudged his head against the offered hand. Vivek reveled in the petting. Head tilted back against Renton’s hand, eyes closed and cooing. When the petting stopped, he squawked, disappointed, until he realized the reason was for a treat. Clawed feet tapped eagerly against the table as the bird seemed to dance in excitement. A gently as he could manage, Vivek snatched the proffered piece of biscuit.

“Oh!” a voice sounded out from behind the alchemist and his stalker. “Is he bothering you?” Maeve approached the table that Renton and Vivek occupied. “I’ll apologize for him and his master. He can be a bit of a nuisance.” Maeve looked at the bird, pointedly. As if sensing she was speaking ill of him, he fluttered his wings and made a semi circle around the table as if to distance himself. Perched on the opposite end, he turned his back on both of them.

Maeve gentle smile didn’t fade as her gaze dropped to the scorched table. “Everything is well, in here, I hope?”

RE: Love & War [Closed] - saronym - 11-29-2017

Renton startled at the sound of a voice behind him. A voice he recognized. The queen’s handmaiden. He spun around and managed a quick bow. “Lady Maeve!” He greeted her nervously, thinking only of the table top he’d ruined.

What could be worse than uninvited guests?

Ones that trashed the place while they were there.

Blue eyes darted towards the bird in question. He grabbed onto the word she had used to describe him. Nuisance. Yes, he could use that.

“Ah well, I’ve had an accident, you see.” Renton gestured to the burnt tabletop. It was hard to miss. “I was working on one of my experiments and this bird here. Well - I’m embarrassed to admit - he made a terrible squawk at me. It surprised me. And - well - you can see the result.”

He tsked at the bird.

“Luckily I was able to put the fire out before it spread.”

Renton finished his tall tale with another lie. Nevermind the fact that he had been petting the bird and feeding it treats when the handmaiden entered the room.

RE: Love & War [Closed] - megs - 11-30-2017

Maeve continued to smile. Serene, and patient and unbothered by the going-ons. It was the best she could muster when she really wanted to scream and throw something. Preferably something that would shatter into a million pieces upon impact with a wall. It wasn’t the alchemist’s fault specifically, so, she smiled.

Vivek was acutely aware that he was somehow being blamed for the accident. Which was outrageous. The owl’s head swiveled around and he squawked in protest. Large talons clicked on the wood as he moved back to the scorch marks. He kicked at the blackened wood and flared his wings. As if to explain to the handmaiden that he had been helping.

These complaints were obviously lost on the humans. Maeve clicked her tongue at Vivek. “Why don’t you go bother your master for a change?” She scolded, and in a fit of pique, Vivek screeched again and flew off and upwards. Back into the rafters.

“There is a lovely square in the west courtyard.” The handmaiden turned her attention back to the alchemist. “Perhaps, you would find it easy to work there? Vivek tends to prefer the library. You’ll find sufficient space to work, and the stone to be much less...flammable.” The handmaiden was not-so-subtly suggest that he take his work away from the rare and precious tomes within the castle walls.

Bowing politely, Maeve made her leave.