alonimi
Lucky Dog [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Lucky Dog [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=692)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 06-26-2017

Owen nodded thoughtfully along with her tour. He took in as much information as he could gather about what his functions at the business would be. The town history stuff he let seep into his consciousness and get lost somewhere among other things he tended to forget.

Soon enough she was handing him a key which he accepted and added to the ring of keys for the cabin that was shoved down in his pocket.

Owen chuckled at her description of his job duties as here to lift the things she didn’t want to.

“I think I can manage that. I’ve been kind of looking for something none too exciting anyway, so I think I will like it just fine.”

He took up a position leaning against the storage building as if to wait for the imminent delivery she’d indicated. He buried his hands in his pockets and forced a smile at her.

“Anything else I can do for you, just, let me know.” He repeated. He was really insisting she let him help her. Though a successful business owner, Owen could sense something in her that needed help. Perhaps it was the disorganized state of her files that he’d been exposed to. Or her willingness to allow a complete stranger into her employ and into her cabin with no questions asked.

The truck arrived and Owen pushed off the barn. Using hand signals he helped the driver back up into position and then waited for the pallets to be dropped off before he began his work transferring the feed bags into the shed.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 02-22-2018

While Owen worked on the task assigned to him, Blue made a reappearance near the feed shed. The brindle coated dog sniffed around outside the building, as if to appear nonplussed as she watched Owen and Odin from the tops of her dark eyes. She hovered outside the door, looking curious, but also like she knew she wasn’t allowed inside the shed. Blue lifted her head and huffed once as her butt dropped down into the dirt. Her tail made eager back and forth motions. She panted heavily, happily, tongue lolling out of the side of her mouth as she watched Owen work.

There was a rumble in the distance. Different from Sai’s truck and the other larger 4x4s that traveled up and down the dirt road. Blue’s ears perked upwards, sensing something. Even without her hearing she was still in tune with her surroundings.

Blue whined and dropped her head as a black Dodge Challenger appeared down the road in cloud of white dust. It whipped around and jerked to a stop in one of the many empty parking spots in front of the main office. The driver killed the engine and a relative silence returned to the property. The driver’s side door opened and a man climbed out of the car. He was about six feet tall and dressed in a dark suit with a crisp white dress shirt and no tie. Shining dress shoes were as dark as the sunglasses that cut across his tan face. Black hair was slicked away from his face. He rounded the front of the car to the passenger side and opened the door. A child popped out, no older than eight or nine. With curly black hair that was cut short. He wore a school uniform and dragged a backpack behind him.

“Go find your mother,” the man ordered and the child nodded before running off towards the office. The man shut the door and removed his sunglasses. He opened his suit jacket and tucked the lenses inside. He surveyed the immediate area as if also looking for the child’s mother.

Sai appeared next to Blue near the shed where Owen worked. He pet the dog who still looked suddenly distraught by the appearance of the man. “It’s alright, Blue,” he muttered encouraging. Dropping to one knee his continued to pet the dog as she dropped to her side and rolled over so Sai could pet her belly. “No one likes that guy,” he said in solidarity with the animal.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 02-23-2018

Owen was entirely aware of Blue’s curiosity of him as he worked. Everytime he turned around, he’d catch the dog’s eye and Owen would have sworn the animal was smiling at him. He raised his own eyebrow at the dog quizzically as he weighed the risk of playing a bit with the dog. It was his first day so he didn’t want to come across as lazy, but being nice to the owner’s beloved pet couldn’t hurt either.

Odin was just as curious about Blue but the shepherd was disciplined in his appearance of disinterest. Only Odin’s nose wiggled with interest towards the other dog.

Owen noticed the way Blue hovered obediently outside the shed. Well trained. “Stay.” He told Odin - figuring no dogs in the feed storage was a rule - as he collected another bag of feed and hauled it into the shed.

A growing loud engine drew Owen’s attention purely because he was interested in cars. He noticed the change in Blue’s behavior and cocked his head curiously at the dog. “What is it Blue?” He asked from inside the shed knowing the dog couldn’t hear him. He was more or less just talking to himself.

Owen popped his head from the shed just in time to watch the sleek car emerge from its own dust cloud and come to an aggressive halt. He figured the driver a customer and started to turn back to his work until he heard the man bark an order about a mother to the boy. Well that was interesting. And then Sairus remarked to Blue about their mutual distaste for the man.

Making himself look busy and not entirely nosy, Owen bent and hoisted another bag of food onto his shoulder. He gestured with his chin towards the well-dressed man standing by his car.

“Who’s that?” He asked casually. He wasn’t unlike Odin. Curious, but trying to act real cool about it.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 06-24-2018

Sairus glanced up at Owen, giving Blue a few more pats to her exposed underside before he stood to his full height. He brushed dirt and grass off of faded work jeans and initially only grunted in response. Sai looked back at the man still hovering near the muscle car, and then to Owen as if he was considering how much to tell the other man. “That’s Jean,” he explained, drawing out the vowels of the name with a distaste that was still obvious. “Julianna’s ex-husband.” He titled his chin to a spot over Owen’s shoulder and behind him. Jules could be seen coming in from the training ring, towed along by the child hand-in-hand. “That’s her son Keiavan.”

A bright and wide smile split Julianna’s features as she walked with Keiavan as he excitedly told her about the weekend he had spent away from her. Much as he spent every weekend. With his father. They were moving towards the office, when they were intercepted by the man- Jean- and Julianna’s countenance immediately changed.

Julianna and Jean spoke back and forth for a few moments, it was unclear what they were saying from where Sai and Owen still stood. Blue had made no move to move towards her while Jean was around. With Keiavan between them it was easy to tell that the adults were growing increasingly frustrated with each other as the conversation continued. Jean lifted a hand as if he would touch Julianna and she quickly batted it away with her own. In return Jean threw up his arms in aggravation and Jules protectively put her hands on Keiavan’s shoulders, drawing him against the front of her body.

“Needless to say, they don’t get along,” Sai said offhandedly to Owen. He wasn’t eavesdropping, so much as he wasn’t being subtle in the protective way he was watching the interaction between his boss and her ex. It was unclear to whether Sai’s behavior was indicative of a past incident or his own growing concern. “He doesn’t come around much. Just to pick Keiavan up and drop him off. Which if you ask me if still coming around more than he should.”

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 06-29-2018

Owen felt his brows rise. “I didn’t know she -” He turned to follow Sairus’ nod behind him and quickly saw Jules appear with a child. He left his sentence unfinished because really he knew nothing about her. So obviously everything about her was news to him.

Owen watched the interaction between the exes with more interest than he should have shown. It wasn’t polite to stare but he was doing just that. He frowned, concerned with the was Jules defended herself against any touch by her ex. There was something about the encounter that was more threatening than a regular drop-off should have been.

“Huh. Really.” He bristled. “Should I - should I go over there?” He glanced at Sairus less for permission and more for confirmation that he was, in fact, going over there. With Odin at his side, Owen marched himself up to the once family for introductions.

“Hey Jules, I finished unloading that pallet.” He said as if that was the reason for his interloping in what seemed like a private dispute. “Is there something else you’d like me to do?”

He smiled at the boy that Sai had called Kei before turning to Jean. “I’m Owen, by the way.” He held offered his hand for introductions. “I’m helping Jules out around here, as of yesterday.”

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 06-15-2019

Sairus didn't do anything to keep Owen and Odin from wandering over to the trio. He remained crouched in front of the feed house, idly petting Blue and watching the scene unfold.

Whatever the one-couple had been talking about came to a halt when Jean noticed Owen's approach. He looked the other man over. Annoyance obvious on his features. "You didn't tell me you hired someone," he said to Jules, ignoring the other man for now. That did not keep him from glancing down disdainfully at Odin.

"He just started," she defended with an exasperated expression. Julianna knelt down to quickly instruct Keiavan to go over to where Sai and Blue were settled. He followed directions easily and went over to occupy himself with other company. She didn't think anything was going to come of Owen's interaction, but she didn't want Keiavan to be witness to anything unruly that could happen among the adults.

"I have a right to know what kind of people are going to be around my kid," Jean continued, eyes tracking Kei as he trotted across the yard.

"You're literally meeting him right now," Julianna contested, gesturing to Owen's outstretched hand. The taller man had already gone through the motions of courteously introducing himself. She said, "I don't have to send you a text blast about every business decision I make," which caused Jean to glare at her.

She held his heated gaze with her own, before he conceded to her with a sharp exhale through his nose. "Jean DeVois." He clasped Owen's hand in a firm handshake. It wasn't contentious, so much as necessary and he let go without challenging him.

"I'm about to get started on some grooming if you want to wait for me over by the tubs." She finally gave Owen the instructions he had been pretending to need. "I've got a ninety pound Rottweiler that I am definitely going to need some help with."

Jean wasn't going to let Owen off so easy. "You from around here?" His tone was almost interrogating. "It's a small town. Never seen you before."

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 06-16-2019

The hair on the back of Owen's neck stood up as Jules and her ex-husband argued. He noticed the way Jules was immediately on the defensive, left explaining herself, and sending her young son away for his own benefit. They certainly didn't get along, as Sairus had observed. Something about the interaction struck him as more toxic than just simple disagreement between two exes.

Owen's hand met with the man who called himself Jean. There was no contest to the grip, but it was equally firm on both sides. Owen nodded curtly along with the handshake.

“Sure, I can help you with that.” Owen agreed with Jules’ request of him knowing it was partly to dismiss him from the uncomfortable situation.

His eyes snapped back to Jean and he couldn't hide the frown on his face as the other man prodded him for information. Owen crossed his arms defensively, unappreciative of the way he was being addressed.

“You're right. I'm not from here. From the Pacific Northwest. I separated from the Marines six months ago. Just looking for a new start. Jules needed a hand. Turns out I've got two.”

Owen delivered his clipped response with a dry tone of voice.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 07-02-2019

Julianna was only half involved in the conversation. Her focus kept drifting towards her son who was now walking off with Sairus towards her house at the end of the property. He waved to make she saw they were leaving and she waved back. Rising up on her toes slightly to see them over the aggravated man standing in front of her. Her distraction dissipated just in time to see the pointed look Jean was giving her. As if something in Owen's brief explanation of his history was enough to warrant concern.

"Owen has been very helpful," she said as if she had not seen the look at all. She was all smiles as she touched his arm gently. Jean's looks did not matter to her; not even when his eyes flickered to the contact she made with Owen. Neither did what Jean thought or anything he had to say. Especially in regards to her business.

Jean's mouth opened and it was obvious he wasn't satisfied with the conversation. Had too many more prying questions he wanted to ask to dig into the other man's life. Feeling possessive and territorial even though he had no right to. Julianna interrupted him before he could get another word in. "I'm really busy Jean." She didn't hide her exasperation with him. "You can like text me if you really need something. Otherwise, I'll see you Saturday."

Her ex looked down his nose at her for a few silent seconds. He looked to Owen for a moment, and then to Julianna again. He knew she was dismissing him. "Fine," was his curt reply. "See you Saturday." He walked away from them and got into his car. As he sped off, kicking up dust from the unpaved road, Julianna knew the conversation wasn't over.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 11-13-2019

Owen stood his ground silently as Julianna was stared-down by her ex husband. Though he’d been asked to help with something else, he’d decided to stay by her side for the moment even though it made him feel like an interloper.

Her fingers lightly pressing against the tattoo hidden scars made him freeze up a bit. He glanced down to where she touched him and tried to brush the strange feeling out of his mind. The contact was bringing him back to a place he didn’t want to go.

That obviously wasn’t her intention.

Owen coughed and waved away the cloud of dust that billowed over them kicked up by the tires of Jean’s car. He turned towards Julianna facing her more squarely. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to witness that.” He shoved his hands down into his jean pockets and bowed his head. Though he was taller than her, he somehow managed to make it look as if he were looking up at her.

“Look I don’t want to cause you any trouble with him. It seems like you have your hands full. If you need me to split ---” He left his sentence unfinished assuming that she would fill in what he was intending to say.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 11-17-2019

Julianna rolled her eyes as Jean's car went off down the road and out of frame. She really hoped that he didn't drive like such as asshole when Kieavan was riding with him.

She was unaware of the way her touch had affected him. It had just meant to be solidifying; reassuring him that she was on Owen's side and didn't care what complaints Jean had for her. She released him and turned to face when he started implying that he would head out if he had to. He didn't have to, and more than that, she didn't want him to. Julianna needed the extra pair of hands, and so far his had proven to be rather strong and capable.

And handsome, and considerate.

She shook her head at him, quickly, both denying his statement and flinging those silly thoughts from her head. "Don't worry about Jean. He doesn't run this business. I do. He's just really controlling, and honestly, it's one of the reasons we're not together anymore."

Julianna waved her hands in the empty space between them. Pushing away all talk to Jean with the gesture. "Forget about him. He's not your problem, he's mine." She laughed and pet Odin's head, affectionately. "Come back to the house with me. We'll take a break. You can meet my son and have a drink."

After placing a 'be right back' sign on the door to the office, she walked away from it without locking it. The door was too much of a hassle and she didn't have any concerns about someone trying to break in and steal all her organic dog treats. Julianna walked with Owen across the wide pasture to the house she and her son occupied. It was an old plantation style home. Two-stories and whitewashed that she had inherited from her father. It was big and square and the front of it look rather flat, with grand columns and a wrap around porch. It was shaded by large pecan trees on every side.

[Image: OWAoH7u.png]

Blue, who had been sleeping on the porch, perked up and followed them as she led Owen inside through a big foyer and towards the back of the house and into the kitchen. They passed a cozy living room and a large dining room, and the staircase to the second floor on the way. Keiavan and Sairus could be heard inside. Her son was sitting at a small nook with a glass of milk and a slice of apple pie.

"Hey, mom!" Keiavan's feet were swinging back and forth off the chair. Not quite long enough to reach to the wood flooring.

"Hey, kid," she shot back, walking over to ruffle his short mop of dark hair. "How was school."

Kei shrugged, "eh, it was fine," and went back to eating his pie.

Julianna moved to the counter that Sai was leaning against, drinking his own glass of iced tea. She grinned over at Owen. "Alright, I have two specialties. Sweet tea and then grown up sweet tea," she joked. "Which can I get for you?"

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 01-13-2020

Owen nodded. He felt like he had gotten a thorough understanding her situation with her ex from just that brief interaction. “I gotcha.” He was all he said. He meant it to be reassuring and non-judgmental. People had shitty exes. God knows he had them too.

Owen smiled and looked down at Odin as Julianna gave him a quick pat while she invited him for a break at her house. “Sure, I’d like that.”

He frowned, though and made sure she saw it when she left the door unlocked. But neither of them said anything about it. They walked together in relative silence to the big white house across the green. He hadn’t been inside there, yet but had noticed it. The gleaming house with the expansive green yard. She had that American dream kind of house.

Owen took a polite look around the space as she led him through the house. “You have a lovely home.” He said as his eyes caught sight of a grand piano in a room off the living room. He wondered if she played.

Nodding to Sairus as he entered the kitchen, Owen posted up near the sink, leaning back against the counter. He seemed to be giving the rest of them space. Respecting that he was a new-comer and had yet to prove himself. Or that was how he saw it.

Owen’s brows rose at the suggestion of alcohol. “Oh well.” He laughed and looked down at his dusty work boots. “Why not both? One for thirst. The other for...well, also thirst.” He smiled as he cracked a rare joke.

As she moved about her kitchen to fulfill his request, Owen asked, “Do you play? The piano?”

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 02-03-2020

Julianna glanced at Owen and smiled as she sweetened up a glass of iced tea with some peach-flavored whiskey. The kitchen was full over light from the large windows and a fresh coat of paint made the space bright and welcoming. It was clear that the kitchen was well-used. The shelves that lined the wall were filled with fresh jams and pickled vegetables. There was a sink full of dishes from breakfast and the smell of pancakes and bacon still lingered.

She held two glasses and walked over to Owen. She held one out of him, sipping on her own as Sai and Keiavan bantered with one another in the background. Her brows furrowed for a moment, almost as if she didn't know what he meant by asking if she played the piano. Realization took over her features quickly after. "Oh," she chirped. She wheeled around on her heel and indicated that he could follow her with a jerk of her head.

"No, I don't play," she explained. They crossed the hall and entered the offset sun room that housed the old piano. "It is another one of the things my father collected." Julianna led him closer, and it was easier to see the wear in the paint and the varnish. Chipped in place, and chunk of wood missing from a leg. The fabric covering the bench was loose and dull. When she lifted the cover over the keys, the hinges squeaked. "It needs a lot of work." She pressed one of the keys down and a dull discordant sound echoed in the open room. "He never got to it. He had so many projects."

Julianna lightly brushed dust away from the dull keys, looking melancholic for a moment. "I'm sure it would have been really nice. Any chance you play?”

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 02-23-2020

Owen liked Julianna's home. It was a well-loved in space that exuded a vibe of warmth and comfort. It was a happy space.

He followed along with her into the other room. Ruger was ever his shadow, never too far behind.

He could tell upon closer inspection that the piano was old. The finish was worn and there was a mysterious chunk missing from the bench leg. He knelt, frowning and ran his fingers over the blemish. He surmised that a dog chewed it.

The sound from the keys was sour and obviously off-tune. He rose and moved next to her, plucking out what should have sounded like a proper and familiar chord progression. It was recognizable still but very off tune.

"I play some," Owen admitted though he was misrepresenting the extent of his piano experience. He'd taken lessons all his life. He'd started playing before he could even read.

"I could... add this to my list of repairs." He shrugged and plucked a wistful sounding minor chord. "If you want?"

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 09-06-2020

A brow crept towards her hairline as his mouth said something and his fingers said another by how familiar he was with the piano. She watched his hands move across the keys. It wasn't the first time that she noticed how large his hands were. His playing stopped just before his hand touched her own, where it still rested on the key she was toying with. Julianna admired Owen's profile, bent close to her to inspect the piano.

"You could fix this?" The idea of another one of her late father's projects coming to life thrilled her. Julianna inhaled deeply, she suddenly felt overcome with an emotion at thoughts of her father and all the things he left behind. Even out of tune the chord resonated mournfully through the solarium. She cleared her throat and moved away from Owen and the piano. She passed a hand over Ruger's head before she picked up the spiked sweet tea and took a long drink.

"I-I mean don't feel like you have to. I'm going to have so much work for you at the kennel. I don't want you fixing all my broken shit in your spare time too." She laughed. Why did she feel like she was talking about herself when she talked about broken things.

Because he was nice and calm and seemed a little broken himself and she was weak.

Keiavan came bounding down the hall and into the room where the two adults stood. "I heard the piano," his face was bright with excitement. Julianna chuckled and pulled the boy closer by grabbing his head. She was aware of the reason for his excitement. "We're just messing with it," she half-lied. Not wanting Owen to feel more pressure to fix it.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 01-15-2021

That brief touch sent the sensation of electricity up his hand and forearm. It was his injured hand. The one marred by burns that licked up his arm covered now by tattoos. She pulled away before him but he simultaneously took his hand away from the keys and closed it into a fist. He wasn't entirely sure what he was feeling.

Nervousness?

Attraction?

"I wouldn't mind..." he trailed off as the sounds of someone loudly thumping down the stairs interrupted their conversation.

Owen quietly lowered the cover over the keys. He ran his hand over the old wood determined to fix it for her.

He smiled at Keiavan, "I'm going to fix it. Tune it up for you." Then more to Julianna he said, "I used to tune pianos as a part time gig when I was a teenager for gas money. It will be no problem for me to fix it for you."

If she agreed to his plans to fix the piano they would have an excuse to be around one another in a private setting and perhaps explore just what was going on between them.

Owen was confident she would agree.