alonimi
Lucky Dog [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Lucky Dog [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=692)

Pages: 1 2 3

Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 11-07-2016

[Image: mVRffzT.png]
megs & saronym
IT'S AN AU. COME AT ME I DARE YOU.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 11-07-2016

“Ranger! Get your ass back here!”

Jules dove for the spunky black lab as it raced past her. She missed and landed face first into the red dirt of the agility training pen. The dog rounded the fencing, tongue hanging out of the side of her mouth as she looked back at Jules still laying flat in the dirt. She was almost sure that the dog would be laughing at her if it were capable.

The was she continued to run circles around her was laughter enough.

She pushed herself off the ground and brushed the dirt from of her cut-off shorts as real laughter sounded off behind her. Loud and brash and mocking. She looked over her shoulder to see Sairus leaning against the wooden fence post. His long blonde hair was pulled into a bun at the top of his head and a gigantic grin dominated most of his face.

Julianna huffed and turned back to the Labrador standing at the opposite end of the ring; panting and blinking in the Colorado sunshine. She whistled for the hound to come to her, and she was ignored. Sai laughed again.

“Are you going to help or just watch?” she called to her partner, though she was pretty sure she knew the answer. She kicked the ground with her boots and watched the dust fly away in the breeze. She bent down to pick up the hat she had lost sometime earlier in the hour.

“You said you could handle this one.”

“I can handle this one,” she insisted, smashing the hat back down over her black hair, and glaring at Ranger. “Will you go get me one of the clickers from the office? I forgot mine.” She was pretty sure he was still laughing when he walked away. Whistling again, Jules jogged towards the dog. Who promptly took off.

--

The clicker was still sounding off as she worried at it between her thumb and forefinger. She walked past the line of kennels and curious canines cocked their heads and wagged their tails. “Almost dinner time, guys,” she sang, inciting the a chorus of excited whines. Nearly all of their kennels were full. Between boarding and grooming they were usually busy during the summer as families came and went through the idyllic town.

The pathetic puppy sounds continued as she walked past them. Shaking her head, she pushed into the office. She sighed happily as she was greeted by ice cold air conditioning. Pushing her way behind the counter, she shrugged out of the flannel over-shirt she had been wearing, revealing the layer of dirt and sweat she was covered in. Dark skin marred darker where her shirt hadn’t protected it.

Shoving the clicker into her pocket, she started rummaging around the papers that littered the back counter. There was no rhyme or reason the organization and Jules was feeling run down just looking at the haphazard stacks. “Sairus!” she called, lifting another stack and putting it to the side. “Have you seen the paperwork for Saber? Is his dietary allergy corn or gluten?”

She pulled her hat from her head and threw it on the counter top to claw fingers through hair. She didn’t get a response, so she figured he was too far out in the kennels. Jules fidgeted on her feet, hips swaying to the quiet music playing overhead as she continued to finger uselessly through papers.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 11-07-2016

Owen had entered through the front door of Lucky Dog Ranch Grooming and Boarding unnoticed by the woman who was rifling through papers, calling for assistance, and dancing around to the music. He had stepped right on a stapled group of papers that had fallen to the floor with his dirt clod boots. He bent down and brushed the larger chunks of dirt from the papers and noticed the name printed at the top "Saber." Apparently the file for the dog who had an allergy to wheat products.

"It's gluten." He answered as he un-shouldered his hiking pack and leaned it against the wall by the door before moving to the counter. Like a silent shadow at his side, Owen's German Shepard followed and sat obediently at his feet when his owner stopped moving.

Owen set the boot-stamped papers on the counter. "Sorry I - uh - I stepped on it when I - you know came inside." Looking very apologetic, he glanced behind him and pushed his thumb at the door as if that were sufficient explanation for his presence in her business. He had come through the door of a business with an open sign and already managed to mess something up and disrupt the end of the day dance session, as well. He combed his fingers through unwashed locks of dirty blonde hair before hiding his hands in the pockets of his battered leather jacket worn over a grey hoodie.

"Are you full or - ?" He shifted his feet. "This place was recommended in town. I'd like to get him groomed," The German Shepard lifted its head to stare up to who'd addressed him and his tail beat the floor. Owen's eyes passed over the messy filing system that wasn't doing the proprietor any favors, "if you have the time."

The dog wasn't the only one of the pair who needed to be cleaned up. He had hiked with his canine companion for a little over a month from Seattle, Washington south and east until he ended up in small town at the base of the Rockies in Colorado. Exhausted and needing to resupply and recover, Owen had decided to stop in town and look for temporary work. He had plans to continue east until they crossed the United States.

"I'm looking for a place to stay for a little while. Do you know anyone looking for some help?"

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 11-07-2016

Jules jumped to the sound of a voice behind her with an involuntary squeak of surprise. Papers fell from her hands and fluttered back towards the desk. She whirled around to face the man who'd spoken, wondering how she didn't hear the jingle of the bell on the door.

Embarrassed laughter trailed the end of a relieved sigh as she stepped across the short distance to the opposite counter. “Thanks,” she said, smiling as she slid the papers closer. “No worries, my fault for deciding the floor is a better filing cabinet,” she joked and quickly scanned the papers to confirm his answer. Turning at the waist she drop the papers with the rest of the mess on the back counter.

Jules continued to smile, as if that would ease whatever seemed to be making him uncomfortable. “Always room for new clients,” she said cheerfully. She moved out from behind the counter so she could take a look at the shepherd poised vigilant at his feet. “My name's Jules.” She held out her hand in the offering of a handshake. “Owner, trainer, general-do-everything-er” she explained with a chuckle.

“May I pet him?” she asked, even though she was taking a knee to level herself with the dog before she'd gotten an answer. Fingers buried themselves into the scruff around his collar and she scratched generously. “What a pretty boy,” she cooed appreciatively, fingers moving to scratch behind his ears. Standing, she brushed her hands off on the back pockets of her shorts. Leaning over the counter she grabbed at some blank paperwork stationed by the computer monitor and snagged a neon purple pen.

Neat and carefully handwriting began filling the empty spaces on the form. “There's plenty of lodging in town,” she informed, glancing up at him briefly. “It’s kind of a touristy area, so a veritable array of places to stay." She set the pen on top of the pages and slid them towards him to finish filling out.

A few quick skips had her back behind the counter and in front of the computer. Fingers tapped quickly as across keys. “I think the hardware store is hiring.” She smiled at him again from behind the computer monitor. The more she looked at him, the more she could see there was a handsome man under a layer of grime. Not that she was judging, sporting her own coating of dirt and grass. “Uh…” she squinted at something on the computer. “The docks are hiring, I’m hiring, and I think the Parks Department for the lake is looking for help.”

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 11-08-2016

He cleared his throat and glanced around the room looking quite apologetic for surprising the owner. He echoed her laugher with an uneasy chuckle that escaped him. Even as she assured him she was open for new clients, his eyes scanned the mess of papers behind the counter that suggested otherwise.

“Okay…” He seemed willing to accept her promise though he’d surveyed evidence to the contrary.

Her hand thrust at him brought his from the hiding spot in his pocket. He shook her hand briefly with a firm grip. “Owen.” His first name was all he had to offer.

He glanced down at his feet unsure of whether he was supposed to give some sort of fact about himself. Unemployed veteran drifter/hitchhiker? He had nothing to offer in terms of witty repartees to match her playful nature. A series of nervous ‘hehs’ came out in response to her greeting instead. Owen was still acclimating to the world of socializing after a month of solitude in the mountains.

He was grateful for Odin to capture her attention for a moment while he collected himself. “Sure. His name is Odin.”

The dog sniffed curiously at her fingers and leaned into her scratching while his tail beat the floor. Normally, he was adorned with a vest that signaled he was a service dog, but Owen had removed it for their hike finding no need to prove to the trees and rocks that his dog was allowed to be there. That was for buildings like libraries and supermarkets. If inspected the tags on his neck would reveal his purpose stating ‘Odin’ on one side and on the other having a C.A.F. symbol and the words ‘veteran’s service dog’ around it.

Owen accepted the paperwork and continued to fill out the portions designated for him. He nodded as he listened to her speak of lodging arrangements in town and the list of businesses needing help.

“Oh -” The pen faltered in his hand when she mentioned her own business. He couldn’t think of a better job that would allow him to be around Odin without any fuss. “You need help here?” As if he hadn't figured that out upon surveying her filing system.

He scratched out the line that he’d messed up on and painstakingly tried to write around it in tiny script. “What are - the - um, qualifications that you’re looking for? If you don’t mind me asking?” He chuckled nervously and cleared his throat again. The paper work that had been completed sloppily due his distraction and poor penmanship was pushed back towards her. He wasn’t confident that his form filling out skills were a great sign that he would be a capable employee.

Owen had never held a civilian job before and had no idea how to go about asking a cute girl in tiny shorts for employment. He had never even been on an interview before. The military needed bodies and he had happened to have a sizable and working body. It had been as simple as passing a medical exam and completing basic training.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 11-09-2016

Jules noticed his eyes flicked behind her, and she took a small step to the side like it would do anything to block his view of the mess. “That is an ongoing project,” she said, before puffing out her cheeks. She released the air in the form of blowing her bangs away from her forehead. Jules didn’t know why she felt the need to explain herself to him. Didn’t want him to be put off by her lackluster organizational skills. She was a very good dog groomer, she was not a good secretary.

She kept smiling, and it wasn’t as uniform or cold as a customer service smile. It was genuine; approachable and a little lopsided. “It’s nice to meet you,” she chimed, and she sounded like she meant it. Just too damn nice for her own good and quite the people person. Though her prattling had been more brief than usual it was easy for her to pick up that her new client wasn’t the chatting type.

The tags on Odin’s collar jingled together and she glanced down at them. “Did you train him yourself?” she asked as she continued scratching his scruff with one hand and turned the tags over with the other. Veteran’s Service Dog. No vest and she was allowed to pet him. Likely emotional support and not physical disability.

Which explained more than it should about his social skills.

She looked up from the computer, fingers hovering over the keys as he reaffirmed her need for help. Mostly, she was surprised that he’d been at all interested in the offer. She had sort of just thrown it out there on a whim, having just decided to seek assistance that morning. More accurately, Sairus had stopped her in the D-Block Kennel and informed her ‘you need to hire someone.’

“Yes,” she said with a sharp nod. “Which, I am positive you have noticed,” she continued, somewhat quiet and embarrassed as she once again referenced the paperwork counter and stared at the compute instead of him. She pulled his paperwork closer and just as she opened her mouth to quickly make- p some qualifications for the job, she noticed a blonde man bun bobbing passed the window.

“Give me just one second,” she said apologetically, pushing her way out of the counter and running to the back door, calling Sai’s name on repeat until he stopped and backtracked her her. He very easily looked over her head to the man and the German Shepherd standing at the counter, but didn't say anything about it. He then looked down at her, raising both brows to ask what she wanted.

“When you start dinner, A-Block Kennels need to be fed first, and Saber has an allergy to gluten.”

Brows furrowed. “Why does A-Block need to be fed first?”

“Because I fed them first this morning.”

“They got fed last last night.”

Jules threw up her hands. “This is why we need a chart,” she huffed in what was clearly a repeated argument. Her arms fell limply to her sides.

“This is why you need to hire someone,” he emphasized and she glared at him. Not bothering to explain she was attempting to do just that. “Then you can make all the charts you want.”

She looked like a very petulant child. She looked as if she wanted to stomp her feet and whine about how hard it was. Instead she just said, “when you get to C-Block let Blue out and send her here.”

Sai walked off shaking his head and Jules moved back to where she’d left Owen and Odin. “Super sorry about that,” she said, leaning against the front of the counter, nearer to them instead of placing herself behind it.

She rubbed a hand over her face in thought. “My qualifications are to be a person who is... alive,” she said from behind her hand with a exasperated chuckle. She pushed her hand through her hair, before dropping it and fixing her gaze on Owen. “Are you sure you want to work here? It would be mostly manual labor,” she explained. “Cleaning kennels, yard work, lifting heavy things I don’t want to lift. But you can pretty much make your owns hours, and I can pay you fairly decently. They’d pay more at the Parks Department, though.”

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 11-09-2016

Shit.

She caught where he was looking and interpreted his curiosity about her filing system as judgment and condemnation. Owen spread his hands in self-defense. “Of course. I wasn’t-” He exhaled nervously and let his hands slap down against his thighs. “Whatever works for you. I guess.” Not that he had any room to judge messiness in general.

He was a mess. In general.

He nodded in response to Odin’s training and then shrugged as if backtracking. “Well kind of.” He wanted to explain that the C.A.F.’s PTSD program had the veterans help train their own dogs as a part of their therapy. They had said it promoted a stronger bond between veteran and canine. But he didn’t want to admit to his diagnosis to this cheerful woman who probably already thought he was weird. “I helped,” was all he offered in explanation for Odin’s training.

She seemed about to describe the job but stopped and rushed away to call after someone else. “Of course. I’ll just …” he trailed off and leaned against the counter. Owen couldn’t help but stare after her and eavesdrop on the conversation that happened just outside the door. His eyes briefly met with the other man and Owen gave him a half-smile. More a pressing of the lips together. An acknowledgement that they’d made eye contact.

She returned apologizing to him after her playful argument about charts and Owen didn’t know what to say. “No worries. I’ve got nothing but time.”

Was he being friendly?

He felt himself loosening up somewhat. Hard not to with a chipper and slightly frazzled girl rushing around trying to manage her filing system and banter with her employee. She had a sort of infectious way about her that he wanted to keep experiencing. Like the warmth of the sun on a cold day.

Owen listened quietly to her describe the vague qualifications for the job. Not much different than the military. Especially the alive part. That was their most basic requirement and even then the C.A.F. sometimes acted as if they didn’t mind whether their soldiers lived or died. Losing himself in bitterness for the military had allowed a lapse in the conversation. The quiet pressed all around him and he felt the urge suddenly to fill it up or run away.

“I’m - um. Alive.” He blurted to start. “I don’t mind manual labor. I don’t have many other skills to be honest.” Owen cringed knowing he wasn’t a great salesman and asking for a job meant literally selling yourself.

“I don’t need to earn a lot. And I’d like to work somewhere I can bring Odin without disrupting business too much.”

Perhaps this would save his pathetic appeal for employment.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 11-10-2016

Jules cocked her head, eyeing him carefully as he replied to her sloppily laid out conditions. She pursed her lips. He seemed capable, albeit a bit antisocial, but that was manageable. Did not do a good job of selling himself, not that she was a perfect judge having never had to hire someone before. He seemed willing, which was about the best she could ask for right now. She was drowning, not that she would ever admit it.

“Okay,” she said after a few moments of thoughtful silence. She paired the singular word with a shrug of her shoulders. “I can give you a shot,” she continued. She needed help and didn’t exactly have applicants knocking down her doors. Besides, if it didn’t work out she would just have to fire him.

Oh, no she might have to fire someone.

“We’re mostly done for today,” she explained, the clashing of tags on a collar and the clicking of nails could be heard rounding the porch to the front door. A cheerful-looking Bluetick Coonhound appeared in the open doorway. Jules simply held out a hand, palm up without looking at the dog who in turn stopped on a dime. She obediently sat by the door. “So howabout you come back tomorrow?” she suggested, leaning her elbow on the counter, her eyes lingered on his. “I usually get here around five AM and Sai shows up around six. If you come between six and nine that would be perfect.” She pushed away from the counter, planting her hands on her hips and pacing a tight circle.

She was certainly making this process up as she went along.

“I’ll get the employee paperwork ready tonight, and tomorrow just make sure you have the proper identification. Odin is obviously welcome to join you at any time.” She stopped pacing and ran her hand through her hair again. “Sorry. I know this seems super informal, but that’s kinda how I do things. It’s really just been me and Sai this whole time.”

Jules beckoned towards the dog still waiting patiently in the doorway and it immediately moved to her side. She sat as close to Jules as possible, body pressed against the length of her legs, head tilted back and waiting for a new command. Wordlessly, she motioned to a dog bed nestled in the corner of the shop and the dog trotted over and laid down. “That’s Blue,” she explained to Owen, pushing her hands into the back pockets of her shorts. “She’s my personal dog, so if you see her wandering around on her own don’t be too concerned.”

One hand left her pockets to rub the back of her neck, she was fidgeting, feeling as if she’d forgotten something. More than likely she had skipped a step in this whole hiring an employee thing. Their brief conversation had not at all been an interview. Wasn’t she supposed to ask what motivated him? Or where he saw himself in a year? Was she supposed to ask for references? Brow furrowed in obvious thought as she continued rubbing the back of her neck. “Oh,” she said suddenly, remembering that he was there because he wanted something from her. “Oh my god. I’m sorry. You wanted to get Odin groomed.”

A different kind, but clearly Owen wasn’t the only mess.

“It’s thirty dollars for brushing and washing, but then for fifty dollars we will also do a summer trim, clip his nails and clean his ears and stuff.” With or without a proper interview there was something she liked about him. A gut feeling you could say, and so far going with her gut hadn’t led her entirely astray.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 11-10-2016

A blink of surprise followed itself with grey eyes darting back and forth as if confused.

“Oh.”

Owen seemed stunned that she was offering him a job. “Okay…” He drew the word out slowly the vowels lingering in the back of his mouth. That was the only sign that indicated for the moment that he was accepting her offer for employment.

The sounds of another dog drew both the attention of Owen and Odin whose heads turned in synchrony at the jingling of a collar. Having been as well trained as the other canine seemed to be, Odin didn’t budge another muscle. Simply turned his head and regarded the other animal with obvious interest. Even as Jules spoke Owen’s eyes followed the dog evaluating the display of obedience. A curt nod of his head and another “okay” indicated he agreed with her plan for the next day and served as his signal he understood the role of the dog she'd introduced.

His fingers tapped nervously on the counter at the mention of identification. A potential hiccup. “I only have my military ID right now. I don’t have any civilian identification yet.” He explained and almost took out his wallet to show her. “Do you think that will be acceptable for the paperwork, ma’am?” It was almost as if he would offer her a chance to rescind her offer in case she already regretted it. Even though she had ensured him her process wasn’t exactly rigorous, maybe the simple matter of an improper ID could get her the out she needed.

The conversation had turned to the matter of employment, but in the back of his mind Owen had kept his ultimate goal in his mind. Odin’s cleaning. He had felt too awkward to bring it up. As if doing so would be an affront to Jules’ intelligence. Such was the pettiness he’d gotten used to with commanding officers. Never remind them of their responsibilities or suggest they made mistakes. That was a rookie move.

“Oh yea. I forgot.” He lied lamely for her benefit. “Let’s do it all. He needs it.”

Almost as if sensing the conversation were about him, Odin lifted his head to stare up at his owner. Owen scratched the dog behind ears that stood to attention and smiled down at him until a disturbing thought occurred to him. The smile disappeared like a shadow passed over his face. “If you don’t have time today, we can wait until tomorrow. I - I don’t want to leave him overnight or anything like that.”

He wouldn’t leave his emotional crutch -stinky or not - far away from him at a dog kennel.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 11-11-2016

Jules shifted on her feet as she considered his words regarding identification. Green eyes rolled briefly upwards and to the left before falling. “That should be fine,” she said, but she didn’t sound confident. Clearing her throat she tried again. “Yeah, it’s fine. I’ll make it fine, anyway.” She laughed and rubbed a hand over the freckles across the bridge of her nose. “I probably seem like the worst business owner right now. It won’t be this bad all the time I promise.” If he had been the one that really wanted in out, he wouldn’t be getting it from her. Desperate for help, and too nice to send him away he was stuck with her for the foreseeable future, if he chose to stay.

She smiled at him, knowing full well that he hadn’t forgotten and was just being polite about it. She knew she had a tendency to be scatterbrained, thanks to Sai who was often pointing it out and being wildly less polite about it. “I have time, we’ll do it right now,” she offered to make up for her lackluster hiring process. She wouldn’t have expected a service dog to be left behind, but his obvious hesitation had her wondering just how readily he relied on the shepherd. She nodded her head towards the back door and moved away from the counter, an indication that they should follow her. “Won’t take much time at all to get him all cleaned up.”

She led Owen and Odin out and around the storefront towards the grooming station and the kennels. She prattled on about business in the summer and pointed out the different buildings and their purposes as the came into view. Four kennels that housed upwards of fifteen dogs each, two agility training pens and an obedience training pen. A shed for feed and supplies, and then her own home on the property in the distance.

“He’s so well-behaved,” she compliment of Odin, clearly impressed as she led him to one of the specially designed shower stations. She removed his collar and turned on the water, checking the temperature with her hand before beginning to hose down the dog; the runoff was a dusty brown being swallowed by the drain. “Usually you’d expect that from a service dog, but sometimes they’ll get antsy.” If anything, Odin seemed to be enjoying getting doused with the cool water. Turning off the faucet she applied a generous dollop of shampoo, working it into a lather with her hands.

She remembered the hiking pack he’d come in with and his questions about places to stay. “So, where are you two visiting from?” she asked, glancing up at him and then back to her task.She leaned over the shepherd, having no qualms about getting wet and soapy as she washed his belly and his paws.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 11-14-2016

Owen cleared his throat and stared down at his boots waiting for her to turn him down. Without lifting his chin he glanced up at her from the tops of his eyes. “Okay. Good.” He tried to make his voice sound agreeable and encouraging for her. “If you’re the worst business owner maybe I’m the worst person to hire. So it kind of all fits?” He linked the fingers of each hand together in the air for her to demonstrate his thought process. “Not that you really are the worst.” He corrected quickly shoving his hands back down into his pockets. He left the option open that he could still be the worst while clearing her of that label.

When she moved so did he, wordlessly following her like Odin followed him. “Thank you.” The words were sincere. Said as if she were doing him some great favor and not merely performing a work task that would be compensated.

As they passed out side, Owen studied his surroundings orienting himself to each section of the facility where he was soon to work. That is where he would work should his identification work out for her requirements after all. His eyes lingered longest on the fetching little house situated nearby. Owen was left to conclude that the business owner lived next door. He didn’t risk asking in case a strange unwashed man asking an attractive young woman where she lived would come across as creepy and weird.

Odin didn’t sit patiently so much as stood eagerly wagging his tail as he was showered off. His eyes closed when the water passed over his head and he seemed to almost lean into the stream like a person would in savoring a shower. Odin’s behavior pulled a half-smile out of Owen. The corner of his mouth turned up and he almost laughed.

“He has his moments.” Owen appreciated the compliments to his dog but wanted to direct the conversation away from Odin’s vocation. “I think Blue has him beat on the training though.” Owen stood close enough to the shower that the water splashed on his boots and darkened the cuffs of his pants. “I noticed you were using hand signaled commands.”

Owen moved to lean back against the far wall of the shower stall. His back against the wall and his feet out in front, he crossed his arms protectively over his chest. She was asking personal questions and he considered pretending as if he hadn’t heard the question but quickly ruled that option out as rude to his soon-to-be employer.

“Seattle.”

As if they were the most interesting footwear in the world, Owen found himself staring yet again at his boots to avoid watching her shirt and legs attract the soapy lather as she bent over Odin. That wasn’t a problem Owen would necessarily have bathing dogs when he worked there. He had the torso, arm, and leg length to bend over even a tall dog without risking wetting anything. Jules was just...short, he noticed.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 11-15-2016

Jules laughed, watching him press his fingers together and tried to save her from the compounding embarrassment that seemed to pile higher every time she opened her mouth. The sound was genuine, but modulated in a way as to not be too loud. Jules was usually better at reading dogs than people, hence her chosen profession, but Owen almost seemed like a wounded puppy. Quiet and careful, like he would be easily startled and she found herself reacting accordingly. “I am sure we will both do fine,” she concluded with a smile, giving him more credit than he’d given himself.

She continued to coo compliments at the dog as she simultaneously shampooed and scratched behind his ears. Hands continued moving over soapy fur that seemed to be turning a shade lighter as dirt and red dust were washed away from it; she glanced up at Owen and caught the briefest hint of a smile, before her eyes were back on her work. Odin’s continually wagging tail tossed water droplets to and fro. “I’ve been training Blue for a long time,” she explained, easily accepting the new topic of conversation as she began to rinse Odin. “She was the only survivor from a litter that had been abandoned. Someone just gathered them up in a bag and left them in the woods.” Jules turned off the water, stepping back to grab a few towels and avoid the water Odin shook off of himself. The soaked material of her shirt clung to her abdomen. Kneeling, she started to dry the shepherd off. “A group of hunters found her, brought her to me, because I was closer than the shelter. She was so small, almost fit right in the palm of my hand.”

She continued to work easily as she talked, having gone through this routine a dozen times a day for a few years. Acquiring a set of nail clippers she sank to the ground again and lifted one of the shepherd’s paws. “I have reared her until she was strong enough on her own.” Jules inspected the pads of Odin’s paws for lesions or cracks, and his nail before clipping them in quick succession and moving to another paw. “That was about,” she paused, face scrunching up in thought. “Four years ago, now.” She shifted to access his back paws.

“Blue is completely deaf, so I devised the hand signals. She’s smart so she picked up really easy.” Jules seemed to realize she was carrying on and stopped talking, letting the last of her storytelling fade into the silence, before she perked up with another question for him. He did not seem keen on answering. She nodded her head thoughtfully, when he answered, but didn’t comment or ask anything to follow-up. She tilted Odin’s head slightly to check his ears.

“I think he will be fine without a trim, but he has an ear infection,” she told him, green eyes floating to where he leaned against the wall. “It’s fungal, and pretty common if you spend a lot of time outside.” She wiped her hands on her messy shorts and started sorting through various bottles on the shelf. “It’s an easy fix, so now worries.” With a pleased noise she found what she was looking for and plucked it from the shelf. She shook the bottle, before twisting open the cap. Holding Odin’s head gently with one hand, she prevented him from shaking it like he would want to when she dropped some of the liquid in both of his ears. They twitched and he fought her hand, but she quickly massaged the treatment in, before releasing him and stepping back. He immediately shook his head.

Closing the bottle she held it out to Owen. “A few drops of this every day will have it cleared up in no time. It’s just peroxide and an anti-fungal agent. Wouldn’t hurt to make it routine, even when the infection appears to be gone, if you’re going to be here a while.”

The sun was setting as Jules replaced Odin’s collar before pawing at her clothing with one of the towels. She was used to making a mess of herself, when it came to larger dogs, because yes, she was short. Not that she would admit it aloud. She was more likely to let a misplaced sort of pride having her standing on chairs and trying to wrangle dogs as big as she was.

“Let’s go get you checked out.”

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 11-20-2016

Owen was more than a bit like a wounded puppy. But, like puppies he could be charmed and encouraged without too much effort and so was the effect of her laugh on him. It rolled over him bringing a sense of ease that she hadn’t been offended or put off by any of his awkward remarks. He would practice at being less..odd in the future. Nodding, “sure we will,” he agreed quietly and almost believed it.

As the dust and grime were washed from the shepherd, Owen felt increasingly self-conscious about his own unkempt appearance. With little effect to make himself more presentably, he raked his fingers through blonde tufts that seemed to want to clump together in its unwashed state. He gave up on his hair and took to picking dirt from his fingernails as Jules relayed the story of Blue. He paused for a minute at his task and frowned disapprovingly when he learned of the dog’s tragic origins.

“I used hand signals with the canines that worked with my unit.” He offered this tidbit like a shy school boy pushing half a sandwich to a friend who forgot their lunch. That’s how Jules seemed to him when she stopped her story - somewhat abashed that she’d rambled on at him. It felt appropriate to share something. Anything.

“But, you know, I’m sure ours aren’t the same as what you use. So, I’d like to learn yours, of course.” The military had left Owen with the need to mitigate whatever impression he thought his commentary might have made. Had he really thought that noting that he knew military hand signals would come across as an unwillingness to learn the system Jules used? It occurred to him as a strong enough possibility to require the issuing of a pre-emptive correction.

Concerned for the state of Odin’s ears and what it said about his dog ownership, Owen knelt by the shepherd while the medication was administered. “Oh shit really? I’m sorry buddy.” He ruffled the damp fur along the dog’s back and patted his side vigorously to comfort the animal who shook his head in resistance to the serum placed in his ears.

While Jules dried herself off, Owen slipped Odin a treat from his pocket and praised him for being obedient for his bath. Not that it had been a particularly difficult task for the dog who seemed to rather enjoy the experience. “We’ll sleep on a bed tonight.” When he said ‘bed’ the dog’s head cocked to the side and ears pricked as if he understood the word.

He rose and patted his pockets for his wallet at the mention of closing their transaction. “Sure. Thanks again.”

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - megs - 11-26-2016

“I wouldn’t mind teaching you,” she said with a smile, glancing up from where she’d been focused on her clothing. Giving up on the fruitless task, she dropped the towel in a nearby pin and quickly picked up the mess she had made at the station. “You’ll need them, to be honest, Blue can get…” Jules paused, scrunching up her face as if she were searching for the right word. She settled for, “nosy. Especially if she thinks she can get away with misbehaving. If you know her commands she will be less rambunctious.”

Jules watched the apologetic way Owen handled the dog after the news of the small infection. She looked away before she was caught, continuing to shove things back into their proper spots but a small smile pulled at her mouth regardless. She was a sucker for dogs, as if that weren’t already obvious, but she was also a sucker for people who were nice to dogs. “Anytime,” she said in response to his gratitude.

With a nod of her head she indicated that they should follow her back to the storefront so she could get them squared away with payment. When she entered the building, Blue lifted her head, but didn’t move from her dog bed in the corner of the store. Jules waved at the dog but for the most part her attention was on Sai who was situated behind the counter.

“You just missed Dite,” he explained and Jules briefly pouted. “She said she’ll be back tomorrow with more of the peanut butter treats,” he continued and his boss instantly perked. “She only brought the pumpkin ones today and I told her the others were more popular.”

Julianna hummed her appreciate and Sai moved out of the way so she could get behind the counter and finish her task. They moved around each other easily, clearly used to trying to work in the same space, not that it was terrible difficult given Jules’ small stature. Sai placed Odin’s paperwork back on the counter, before offering another silent nod to Owen and disappearing out the back door.

“He gets...friendlier,” Jules offered as if she needed to explain Sai’s lack of greeting. Which she only felt necessary since she was entirely too verbose. “With time.” All in all she doubted it mattered to Owen, who himself was not very talkative, but if the trio were going to work together it was nicer to circumvent the possibility that Owen had already done something to offend Sairus.

She shifted on her feet as she tapped distractedly at the keyboard. At most she appeared to be waffling over something in her head. She glanced at Owen over the computer monitor. “So, you mentioned you needed someplace to stay?” she ventured, carefully. Timid in the face of how weird her offer was going to sound. “There’s a guest house further back on the property. It’s private, the woods separate it from me and the kennels. It’s not perfect, and it needs some work, but there’s electricity and water and furniture. If you’re interested. Obviously, if you have something else lined up don’t worry about it.” Her words trailed one another too close together as she reached the end of her sentence and her gaze darted back to the computer screen. It had sounded weird, very weird and now he was probably very put-off by her.

“It just might be easier than staying at a inn in town.” She finished suddenly.

RE: Lucky Dog [Closed] - saronym - 11-26-2016

The corner of Owen’s mouth turned up in a smile at the description of Blue. “I’m sure we’ll get along fine.” Dogs he could handle, it was people he could never be sure about. Owen and Odin followed Jules back inside. The happy shepherd stopping only to shake out once more before stepping into the store front.

While Jules and Sai discussed a woman with treats, Owen moved across the room to let Blue sniff at his hand. He scratched the dog behind the ears and let Odin and the hound check each other out.

Owen pulled out the bills in the amount Jules had indicated would be the cost of the service and he added a modest tip for good measure. He nodded again to Sairus not in the least bit disturbed by the other man’s quietness. That was something Owen could handle. A quiet co-worker. He could probably only handle one chatty person at a time. And Jules chatted enough for the three of them it seemed.

“I do too, I guess.” A half shrug of the shoulders and Owen pushed the money over the counter to Jules. Odin had followed him back again abandoning the other dog for his human charge.

“Yeah, I, uh, haven’t had a chance to check any places out yet.” He self-consciously rubbed his finger along the counter. Owen picked up on her anxiety and felt his emotions veering off in that direction. Odin seemed also to sense the tension and leaned his head against Owen's side. His head nuzzled against Owen's hand which responded automatically scratching the dog's head.

“I don’t have much to spend as far as rent goes, to be honest with you.” Owen cleared his throat and forced himself to look her in the eye. His lips pursed as he considered the offer. Fingers continued to work rhythmically in soft fur. “Maybe I could fix it up for you in exchange for board? I’m a fair handyman.” It was evident that he would refuse any charity.

Owen had come to the business solely to get Odin groomed up after a long hike and somehow had ended up requesting not one but two jobs.