alonimi
Full Sail [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Full Sail [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - megs - 12-06-2016

Julianna remained close to Owen as they neared the port. Chatting and laughing, she leaned against him the slightest bit, close enough to feel his body need hers. Though the day had warmed, she still wore her borrowed windbreaker, because she had discovered that it did smell like him. She was also sure she could get away with keeping it if she played her cards right. The closer they sailed to the dock the easier it was to explain Lanzo’s hasty retreat from the radio: He was waiting for them at the port, as straight-backed and sour as he ever was. Two obedient sergeants standing behind him. She knew she was safe from the brunt of his annoyance. She was the queen, after all, and there was little the Admiral could do other than frown and sulk. Which he would definitely do.

“You're in so much trouble,” Julianna sang playfully as Owen moved away from her to begin docking the boat. Julianna hung behind, leaning over the railing to wave and smile at Lanzo, and other workers that moved about the docks. Her amused tone seemed to imply that she would do nothing to save him from the oncoming storm Weatherfare. As if she had not played a part in - and thoroughly enjoyed- her would be kidnapping.

The queen was content to watch, as she always was, as Owen handled ropes and moved around the ship with confidence. When he held his hands out and motioned for her to come closer so he could help her off the ship, she obliged. She beamed as his hands met her waist and her own gripped his shoulders. Somehow, she resisted the urge to kiss him in the brief moments that their faces were close enough for her to do so. As he lowered upon the dock, her hands lingered against his chest. Julianna had been too busy looking at Owen to noticed Lanzo’s approach, and when her feet met the sun-warmed wood of the dock, she was very quickly pulled away from him.

“What-” she sputtered in confusion as Lanzo easily pushed her body behind his. She was steadied by the hands of his sergeants, who hovered over her protectively. “Admiral Weatherfare,” she scolded. The words were a question and a demand all at once. Lanzo ignored her, keeping his focus on the young sailor.

“I have half a mind to arrest you right now,” he explained, an accusatory finger thrust in Owen’s direction.

“Oh my god,” Julianna’s monotone complaint sounded off from behind him.

Lanzo continued as if Julianna hadn’t attempted to interrupt him. “Since you stepped foot on this island you’ve behaved as if you think you can do whatever you want. You may consider yourself in charge back on that toy boat you call a warship, but that is not the case on these sands.”

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - saronym - 12-06-2016

When Julianna was essentially snatched away from him it completely ruined the moment of Owen gazing down at her still engulfed in his windbreaker with soft hands laying on his chest. Owen craned his neck in a lateral motion to check-on Julianna who’d been shoved behind Lanzo as if Owen were some dangerous criminal. In reality, he stood before Lanzo looking as much like a playboy as he intended to. Shirt open revealing a tanned and muscular physique, with expensive Rayban’s poised on the bridge of his nose. Owen continued walking straight into the finger pointed at him. The Weatherfare’s index poked him on the chest bone and displaced his charm necklace a bit. Owen glanced down questioningly as if he was noticing the man for the first time expressly because of the finger on his chest. He backed up a pace making space between them.

While Lanzo lectured him, Owen slowly buttoned his shirt up. Large thumb and index carefully manipulating the white buttons into each slot. The most pressing problem before him seemed to be the issue of securing his shirt. He even took occasion to release the belt and button of his pants and tucked his shirt down. Apparently Lanzo, the Admiral and Naval Commander, wasn't deserving enough of Owen's attention or respect for the cocky sailor to even keep his pants buttoned up in the presence of the rival commander. His hands shoved the ends of his shirt down into his pants. Owen arranged the shirt neatly, pulling just enough out so that it wasn’t too tightly tucked in. When the pants were secured again, Owen’s appearance had transformed into something suitable for the eventual meeting with Julianna’s father. Less a sloppy playboy and more a presentable playboy. He brushed his hand down the front of his shirt smoothing it out in another gesture of preening for his audience which included Lanzo's subordinates and the Queen herself.

Whether he’d registered that Lanzo was speaking to him was in question, until Owen removed his sunglasses and slowly folded them and tucked them into the pocket of his button up shirt. The tops of the black frames peeped out from the white fold. He met Lanzo’s gaze with that confident smile.

“Lanzo.” He said with an infuriating and completely unperturbed tone of voice as if a direct confrontation weren’t going on. “You seem a little tense there bud.” He patted the Admiral on the cheek with his open palm. The sound of the gentle smacks broke the momentary silence.

Owen gestured with his thumb behind him. “That’s not my warship, boss.” He used the term sarcastically seeing as to how desperately Lanzo seemed to want control and authority. Owen's hand moved to squeeze Lanzo consolingly on the shoulder as if the man were entirely confused and it was a pathetic display. “That’s actually my sailboat. Warship much bigger. It carries the things that go boom.” He lowered his voice only half way. Feigning privacy as he corrected the Admiral who hadn’t actually mistaken the sailboat for Owen’s warship. Owen knew full well what the Weatherfare was trying to communicate, but he played dumb in order to further humiliate the man who over-stepped his authority with the queen.

Owen pushed past the angry navy man. There was no masculine contest to the action as if the Weatherfare didn’t seem deserving even that much attention or acknowledgement. There was simply nothing to contest. It was more as if Owen were merely moving an object out of his way, like opening a door or pushing aside a box.

“See ya, Lanzo.” He repeated this mocking phrase and turned his back. His hand lifted in a casual wave.

As Owen turned he winked and nodded at the naval sergeants standing by, “How’s it going. Take care with the boat there. Take down the sails and rinse them. When they’re dry stow them below. The bags are blue. Can’t miss them. Remember rolled not folded.” He greeted them with familiarity and issued instructions he had no authority to give.

“I’m hungry.” He announced to anyone who was close enough to hear. “Let me buy you some breakfast?” This offer was specific for Julianna the person he’d come to a stop in front of.

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - megs - 12-06-2016

Upon contact with the other man, Lanzo’s finger curled back into a fist that he dropped at his side. He did nothing to keep the rage off his face. A storm brewed in dark eyes that was accentuated by the thin line if his mouth. The officers that stood behind the admiral shifted, almost uncomfortably, as they exchanged subtle glances between one another. Lanzo remained silent through Owen’s cocky response, the effort of it revealed by the twitch of clenching muscles in his jaw.

Admittedly, Julianna was having a hard time seeing the almost-altercation thanks to her height and the three people blocking her view of Owen. Ears swiveled forward and stood at attention as Owen continued to mock the other commander. Movement from the bottom of her vision brought her attention to the gentle sway of one sergeant's tail, and curiosity got the better of the queen. Bending at the waist, she leaned slightly to the side to see what was happening. She was greeted with the show of Owen tucking in his shirt. The sunglasses suggested she could have been looking at anything, but the red tinge to her cheeks made her line of sight obvious. She may have been distracted by that one undone button on his slacks, and by the way he preened. Julianna quickly righted her posture before she was caught, tail swaying in much a similar manner to the officer she stood behind.

Lanzo smacked away the hand that landed against his face. He exhaled sharply, continuing to silently observe Owen, as if he were content to let the other man speak as he decided whether or not to arrest him.

Owen pushed past him and the admiral seemed to snap, turning sharply in the midst of arrogant instructions to his crew. Who seemed to be more than happy to step aside to give him access to Julianna, which only set fire to his last nerve. “You insufferable, overconfident-”

“Admiral Weathefare.”

He was silenced by Julianna’s gentle voice, she spoke just loud enough to be heard, lifting a hand to accentuate the concept that he should stop talking. Though she was addressing Lanzo, it was clear that she was somewhat distracted by the other commander in her presence. When he had stopped in front of her and voiced his thoughts on breakfast, the corners of her mouth had curled upwards of their own accord. Her attention had immediately been captured by him the moment he had given her his.

“Commander Hart is my guest,” she continued, one ear falling lopsided as she spoke. “He was acting on my authority, and I as much as I hate to have to remind you, I have the highest authority. I also find it unnecessary to remind you, though I will waste my time doing so, that I am an adult. I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself.” Julianna’s forewarning hand dropped back to her side, and her tail lifted to appear behind her head. “Therefore, I will not be treated like a child, and you will not make passive threats to my company.”

Lanzo opened his mouth to protest, but only sighed and it snapped shut again. He had been thoroughly mocked and chastised and though it burned in him he had no other choice but to acquiesce to the queen’s demands. “Of course your majesty,” he replied through teeth still pressed together to contain his outrage. He bowed his head, his accompanying officers quickly followed suit.

Julianna nodded in return, and readjusted the sleeves of the windbreaker that had fallen over her hands. She was aware of the childish picture she portrayed in a jacket that was too big for her, despite her preciously adamant statements about being an adult. “I believe you mentioned breakfast?” she lilted, a half-turn on the balls of her feet put her side-by-side with Owen and she was able to take his hand in one of hers, and she laced their fingers together. She led him away from the admiral and the docks with gentle insistence.

They weren’t even particularly out of earshot before she started chuckling. “You are insufferable aren’t you?” The words were staccato with chuckles, a clear indication that she was teasing. “Incorrigible”

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - saronym - 12-06-2016

Grey eyes made not so subtle saccades across Lanzo’s face, taking in the full effect of his show. They even darted to the side registering the fidgeting of the sergeants behind the Admiral. More obvious movement in his line of sight behind Lanzo’s head drew Owen’s gaze in time to catch a curious queen observing his preening. The sun shone directly on her face creating the perfect lighting to reveal to him a flush on her cheeks. The day wasn’t quite hot enough to justify heat being the excuse for the coloring of her visage which was a more than flattering thought for the sailor. Perhaps she liked what she saw.

Like dominoes easily pushed over, his show had it’s desired effects.

Owen didn’t need to watch the Admiral deflate under Julianna’s scolding of him. He could feel it in the air around him, having a keen social sense. It was as if the tension of a bowstring were released without the arrow being shot. All that preparation for a shot, the pull back and hold, and the arrow was never released to it’s mark. Poor Lanzo.

Instead of looking at the Admiral, Owen watched Julianna. Small frame accentuated by his jacket much too large for her. The extra fabric balloon around her arms when shoved upwards to free her hands. His lips curled into an amused smile. She was more cute than authoritative as she took her stand against Lanzo. She didn’t necessarily need to sound or look authoritative given that she was the one that wore the crown. Still, Owen found her display rather entertaining Like a small child trying to take up more space than was physically possible. Or a puppy trying to bark at a larger dog. He had the sudden urge to scoop her up and carry her away mid-sentence just because there would be nothing she could do about it.

“I did mention breakfast.” Owen confirmed when he was addressed by her. “I’m always hungry.” He complained. And it was true. A man his size demanded a rather oppressive amount of food to maintain his weight.

Julianna captured his hand and Owen allowed it. Long fingers curling instinctively with hers and he let her pull him along, leading him wherever she chose. He laughed loudly from his chest when she teased him. “You’ll just have to punish me yourself.” He suggested, eyebrows climbing, with no effort to lower his voice for the sake of propriety.

“Should we grab something in the marketplace? Do you think your father has been informed of our arrival?”

Truth be told, Owen was far more concerned about Alexavier’s response to their night out on the water than anyone else. He did not want to be in trouble with the queen’s father. Quite the opposite as his goal had been to impress the other man.

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - megs - 12-07-2016

Ears twitched rapidly as he joked about punishments. Too many, admittedly inappropriate, ideas came to her mind at once. She looked away from him, keeping her eyes forward as her ears pricked to attention and she voiced none of them. It went without saying that she was still red. She had no doubts that he had noticed a dozen times over how easy it was for him to make her blush. “Perhaps I will think of a fitting punishment,” she mused, with a half-smile. As if she hadn’t already thought about it.

Julianna let her other hand rest against his forearm. She was longer shy about touching, or being seen touching him. She didn’t know what to make of the closeness they had shared the night before, didn’t know if it meant something new for the state of their relationship. Regardless, even if they were just friends who kissed sometimes she felt that gave her some freedom when it came to touching him as she pleased. She led him towards the market at a leisurely place, unconcerned with the anxiety her prolonged absence may have caused back at the castle.

“Most likely,” she replied, when Owen mentioned her father. “He tends to worry, so I’m surprised they weren’t already putting together a search party.” Her father’s penchant for fretting didn’t seem to concern her, but it certainly clashed with her penchant for silently wandering off.

It quickly became apparent she had chosen breakfast over returning to the castle. Julianna led him into the market. It was already bustling with activity; full of the sights and smells of a typical day. She almost walked past the bakery stall she had treated him to on his first afternoon in the port, but she stopped short when she noticed one of the women beckoning her over. She walked towards the stall, pulling Owen along with her.

“Good morning, your majesty,” the blonde woman greeted in Veridian when Julianna was within earshot. Her tail swayed slowly behind her head, and there was a sly smile on her mouth. Julianna returned the polite sentiment, as her gaze slid to the second woman, a redhead, working the stall. This one also wore a suspicious looking grin.

“What is it?” Jules asked, one brow making an appearance above her sunglasses. Her thumb drew small circles on the back of Owen’s hand, and she tilted her head slightly. One ear fell lopsided. She knew she had only been called over to confirm or deny the morning gossip. Which could only involve her overnight sailing adventure.

“Long night?” the blonde asked, and her attempts at being casual were ruined by girlish giggling. Her hands worked at slicing pieces from a dark loaf of rye bread, and buttering both sides. At least Julianna would be getting something for her troubles. The slices of bread were handed off to the other woman who dropped them onto a griddle. A sizzle and the smell of browning butter filled the air between them.

“I have no idea what you mean,” Julianna replied innocently, lifting her chin in a lofty manner which only erupted more raucous laughter from the women. A cracked egg and slices of ham now accompanied the bread on the hot skillet.

“I can’t say I blame you,” the first woman continued. The soft vowels of her native tongue seemed to bounce with her amusement. She had started working on a second task that involved yogurt and fresh berries that she was layering in a paper cup. “Who wouldn’t want to be full of him?” Sharp consonants lilted upwards as she repeated the inside joke she had been holding on to since the beginning of the week.

Julianna gasped as if scandalized, pushing her glasses into her hair to properly narrow her eyes at the gossip-mongers behind the stall. “That is not what happened.” Her play at offense was ruined by her grin. A piping hot breakfast sandwich was handed over to her and she turned to give it to Owen. “They said you look hungry,” she lied with a playful roll of her eyes. He could probably tell by their giggles that they had been talking about no such thing. “They think I am not feeding you enough.” And just like that they were tittering again.

Honey was drizzled over the finished parfait and it too was shoved at Jules along with a plastic spoon. Julianna thanked them and fed herself a mouthful of tangy yogurt and sugared blueberries.

“Don’t fill up on that,” the blonde woman warned, with a wagging finger. “You still have a lot of that handsome commander to get through.” They laughed, and Julianna all but choked on her breakfast.

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - saronym - 12-07-2016

Owen smiled staring straightforward as they ambled with hands palm to palm through the marketplace. At some point she had moved closer and taken his forearm in her other hand and he’d almost failed to notice as the action felt natural. Like her, he did not know how he should interpret their activities of the previous evening. He was ever reminded that she was a queen of a distant island nation and he a naval commander stationed far away. Worrying about the logistics of a relationship may have been two steps ahead, but it momentarily crossed Owen’s mind as they walked. He shoved the fretting down for another time and allowed himself to enjoy her casual affection for him

His pleasant expression was sullied when he cringed at the suggestion that a search party may have been put together. Owen couldn’t be sure she was joking and glanced over at her, his brows pulled together in a worried frown. “Did he really?” He combed his fingers through his hair and exhaled loudly. “He is not going to be happy with me.” Owen didn’t hide the fact that he was concerned about Julianna’s father’s opinion of him.

Their conversation was momentarily interrupted by greetings from the women at the bakery stall. They greeted Julianna in their native tongue, passing over him entirely. Instead of staying back and letting the women talk amongst themselves, Owen stepped forward to eavesdrop on a language he had yet to grasp.

Certain things are universal. Owen knew the delivery and reception of dirty jokes when he saw them. It was evident by a particular glint in the eyes and curl of the lips of the mischievous cook that prodded at the blushing queen. Owen’s own mouth curled into a similar grin though he lacked the specifics of the joke.

He accepted the sandwich that was given to him with narrowed eyes at Julianna’s claims. “I am always hungry darling.” His eyebrows twitched upwards once and he glanced out of the corner of his eyes at the stall workers to see if they caught on.

He cautiously bit into the sandwich, having learned to let things cool first before diving in. Savory flavors exploded on his palate and he nodded appreciatively. Owen stepped up towards the redheaded woman behind the stall and leaned over the barrier to pull her towards him for a kiss on the cheek. He beckoned to the blonde and repeated the gesture.

“Thank you. It’s delicious.” He complimented them and tested out his own Veridian. He used two simple phrases he’d asked the servants at the castle to teach him. His pronunciation was passing but had a clear accent. Too much roundness to the vowels and a cadence to his speech that was a clear carry over from his Eskran background. Plus it didn’t help that he was nearly purring the words at the women to encourage their lecherous joking.

“Everything on the isles is delicious.” He added in English, not knowing the words in Veridian. Owen winked at the stall workers and stepped back to Julianna. He served himself a bite of the parfait, pulling the spoon from his mouth in a way he thought the womanly audience might find attractive.

“Shall we?” He asked of Julianna, holding out his free hand for her to lead the way. His other hand was feeding him more sandwich meanwhile.

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - megs - 12-15-2016

Julianna’s brows disappeared behind her bangs, clearly caught off guard by the delivery of his reply. She caught his glance to the bakers and heard their giggles renew behind her back. Confirming that he was being intentionally suggestive, and she wasn’t imaging it that way. She huffed, a sharp exhale of air through her nose. “Incorrigible,” she repeated, her mouth clearly recreating the individual shapes of the word as she drew it out slowly for emphasis. She held his gaze for a brief moment as he ate. Eventually her eyes fell downward to the parfait in her own hands, and she fed herself another spoonful of yogurt.

Owen wasn’t the only incorrigible one it seemed. The flirtatious women tittered behind their stall, eagerly accepting the gratuitous thanks he was giving away. Presenting their cheeks for kisses, and taking the opportunity to touch him now that he was close enough. Maureen, the red head, pressed her own hand against his cheek. And Marni, the blonde, placed her hand on his arm. Julianna watched with veiled amusement, hiding entertained smiles behind bites of her breakfast. They gasped and clapped excitedly as he spoke to them in Veridian. Julianna’s ears seemed to lean into the sound of it. She liked the sound of those Eskran vowels that he couldn’t quite get rid of. “Don’t encourage them,” she suggested. “Or they’ll never let you leave.”

The women spoke over one another, complimenting his efforts, speaking much too quickly for him to follow. Even if he had known the language better. Both of the women spoke English, but they seemed more content with playfully leaving him out of the loop.

“Everything?” she repeated, as if challenging his statement as she watched the way he stole a bite from her. Just as he intended. Her face was still that near permanent mahogany shade and she wondered how the other women found time to breathe with all that giggling. And how they were left mostly unaffected by his obvious flirting. For them, it was all in good fun, and they did not share her overwhelming affection for him.

Julianna breezed past him, waving to the stall workers with her free hand as they playfully begged her to leave Owen behind. Gauzy green fabric swirled around her feet, and metal jingled on her ankles as she walked. “You don’t have to worry about my father,” she said, between bites of parfait. Returning to the conversation that had been interrupted. “He worries, yes, but I’m an adult. And since you’ve not kidnapped me, I’m sure he’ll be fine. Besides-” she paused for another bite. “-it’s really my fault anyway. So, there’s not much he can say.”

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - saronym - 12-18-2016

As the bakers fawned over him, Owen looked over his shoulder at Julianna. A mischievous glint in his eyes as he reveled in the attention he received. His hand covered the one that lay on his arm and his fingers tightened warmly. “Oh no will they take me prisoner?” He joked, feigning a fearful expression. “What ever will they do with me?”

As the women began chattering in their own tongue, Owen was quickly lost. He put his hand out in front of him with the palm out. A sign to stop or slow down. He tried to tell them to speak more slowly in Veridian but, “more slower...speaking,” was what came out. A valiant effort.

Owen held Julianna’s gaze with a quite serious look on his face. The flirtatious smiles gone. “Everything.” He repeated. His voice was low and the baritone of his voice came direct from the back of his throat. When he’d confirmed that he had the desired effect - which was to further the ever present blush that tinted Julianna’s cheeks - his lips pulled back again into a toothy grin.

The women indeed did let him go. He took Maureen’s hand and brushed a kiss across her knuckles, a devlish look in his eyes all the while. They were in on this very fun joke they were playing on Julianna. His hand trailed from hers and he returned to Julianna’s side following the jingling of her anklets as she moved through the crowd.

Owen finished off his sandwich as he walked next to her listening to her try to comfort him about what her father might say about their overnight adventure on the water. His lips pursed into a thin line and he nodded in agreement to her reasonable assessment. She knew her father better than he. And still, a sort of nervousness had overtaken him. Once free of the sandwich, Owen shoved his hands down into his pockets.

“We’ll just see what he says then.”

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - megs - 12-24-2016

The women complained loudly when Julianna left their stall. Mostly because she also took Owen with her. They called to her in Veridian, teasing her all the while and begging her to bring him back soon. And to feed him for goodness sake they called. Since everything is so delicious they continued, until they’d rallied the nearby vendors in laughter.

Julianna’s ears twitched on top of her head, erratically. Her face burned and her tail swayed slowly, trailing outwardly behind her. She wasn’t jealous of the attention Owen had paid to Maureen and Marni. She’d actually found it endearing how he had catered and played into their flirtatious ways. It was cute, even.

He seemed nervous about being confronted by her father, so she ate silently as she walked. Letting him ruminate. Nothing she’d said on the matter seemed to comfort him, so she let the discussion lie. HIs hands disappeared into his pockets, and she was admittedly disappointed. She missed the way he had casually kept him arm around her the day before.

The courtyard was empty as Julianna passed through the gates, Owen still walking beside her. Well, almost empty. Alex stood in the center, brooding near the fountain in a dark button up shirt and slacks. She wondered if a servant had alerted him to her approach, or if he’d been content to brood there for a considerable amount of time.

“Julianna.” When he addressed her, she’d expected to her relief in his tone, since he was so prone to worry. Her ears pricked to attention, because in that one utterance of her name, she could tell that he was upset with her. She pushed her sunglasses into her hair, and her tail curled towards the line of her spine as she moved close enough for him to crush her against his side in a one-armed hug. “Are you alright?” he asked, moving her in front of him and settling both hands on either of her shoulders. He seemed content to ignore Owen for now.

“Of course,” she replied, scraping at the last of her parfait with the spoon. “Why wouldn’t I be?” she challenged, even though she knew why he was asking. Alexavier only sighed, and dropped his hands away from her. Just as she could read his tone, he could read hers, and he wasn’t interested in turning this into an argument in the courtyard. He reminded himself that she was grown, and he could take relief in the fact that she was still alive. She was making it clear that anything more than that was not his business.

“No reason,” he replied, acquiescing to her attitude. He placed a hand on top of her head, just between her ears. They fell flat with the weight of his hand. “Why don’t you go change?” he suggested. “You’re covered in sea salt.” There was a notable amount of forced effort in the teasing curve of his mouth. Julianna laughed, blatantly aware of the scratchy feeling of her own skin.

“I’d like to speak with the Commander, anyway.”

“Okay, but don’t plan on keeping him too long,” she joked in warning. Almost as if claiming Owen for her own. She moved away from the pair with a finger wave in Owen’s direction. She turned on her heel, and disappeared towards the castle.

Alex sighed again, scratching at his beard. “Commander Hart,” he addressed Owen sharply, but did not look at him, until Julianna could no longer be seen making her way inside. He turned his head to lock eyes with the other man. “How long are you planning on staying in the Isles? I am to understand you came on a mission from the C.A.F?”

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - saronym - 12-24-2016

Though Owen had exploited their overnight venture in the presence of the stall workers, he did not want to be seen galavanting through the castle yard with his hands all over the queen. Hence, the way he policed his touch by burying his hands into his pockets. He kept enough distance between them as they walked side-by-side such that their shoulders didn’t even brush as they moved. In his nervousness as he awaited her father’s judgment, all of Owen’s affection towards Julianna had been deliberately chilled. He suspected that she would notice.

Owen’s need to worry was confirmed by the way Alex addressed his daughter. He seemed stern and cool like a father displeased with his child’s behavior. Though she was certainly an adult that did not mean he was no longer in any position to comment on her behavior at all - or so was the custom in Eskra. In his culture, parents were highly involved in their children’s lives well into their adulthood.

Feeling as if he had faded into the background as father and daughter squared off in their own subtle ways, Owen stood by waiting to be addressed. He knew it was coming.

His lips half curled into a smile when Julianna waved to him and he nodded that it was okay with him to be left alone with her father.

“Sir.” He returned the greeting with respect. Though they had become somewhat familiar with one another during Owen’s stay, Alex had reverted to a more formal address which further worried him. He held the other man’s gaze nonetheless, refusing to look away. Owen blinked in surprise at the question as it came across sounding as if Alex was ready to dismiss the foreign sailor from the island. Had Owen worn out his welcome with the queen’s father?

“I am unable to give an exact timeline. I have an extended … leash… so to speak to complete my negotiations. The Queen and I - have made some good progress towards that end. And she will be shortly presenting our current position to the court, as I understand it. The court perhaps will send her back for another round of negotiations.” He shrugged his shoulders. “It’s all sort of nebulous.”

Owen paused there. He sensed that perhaps his answer might be unsatisfactory. It wasn’t lost on Owen that they might be speaking in code. Rounds of negotiations and nebulous timelines as stand ins for words hinting at the nature of Owen and Julianna’s relations with one another. Such thoughts left Owen shifting uncomfortably on his feet and fiddling at the little hairs on the back of his neck.

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - megs - 12-27-2016

Alex’s brow furrowed as his hand fell away from his beard and he crossed both arms over his broad chest. Negotiations. He found the word bothered him, more for the context that he was putting into it than for what it actually meant. His mind reeling through the possibilities of a double entendre that might not actually be there. “I trust you have certain boundaries for how you will achieve that mission?” The question sounded as if Alex was trying to accuse Owen of something, and truthfully he was. Very similar to the way Julianna had done the night before, Alexavier hoped to discover if the young commander was above using his charms to woo the queen into giving him what he wanted. Julianna’s affection for the man was obvious, at least to him. He didn’t want to see her hurt, or used, as a means to achieve an end.

The father sighed, dropping his arms and rolling his eyes upwards as if he would find the tact he was looking for in the scrolling clouds. He started to pace a short distance in front of the fountain. “Look,” Alex began again, as if willing to give the other man some benefit of doubt. “I’ve been in your shoes before. Young. Adventurous. Finding myself in a new place. My duty putting my time in the hands of a beautiful woman. I understand the appeal.” Truth be told the similarities of the situation set his teeth on edge. Was it just that Julianna was too much like her mother? Pretty and charming and too interested in the world outside of Veridian shores. Interested enough to get to attached to the handsome foreigner that showed her attention. Or was it the sailors that were too much alike?

In the end Alexavier had stayed, he’d chosen Rayne over returning home. He didn’t feel like Owen was willing to do the same.

“Julianna is an intelligent and fair ruler,” he explained. “But she can be..naive in other matters. More personal matters.” They were indeed speaking in code, and Alexavier was leaving a whole mess to decipher with this simple statement. He stopped his pacing, and stood in front of Owen, settling his dark gaze on the other man.

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - saronym - 12-30-2016

Owen blanched, “Boundaries, sir?” he asked now positive of what Alex was accusing him of. Suggesting that Owen was using sex appeal to sway the queen in her decision to respond to the C.A.F.’s negotiations favorably almost ruffled his feathers. Owen could see how Alex might arrive at that conclusion or consider it. The way he behaved around her certainly seemed...questionable, at least.

Like the soldier he was trained to be, Owen stood resolute and stiff backed as Alex compared his situation with his late wife to Owen and Julianna’s He couldn’t deny the similarities. But once again that left Alex questioning Owen’s integrity.

“I didn’t plan on a...friendship with the queen but I am glad to have it. She is a lovely woman. It is not my intention to take advantage of her kindness towards me.”

He glanced down at his feet preparing himself for the next part of his confession. “When my assignment is complete, I will be called back to my post. I don’t know the future of my friendship with Julianna, but I can say that it will be painful to leave when the time comes. Until then, so long as she is content to enjoy my company I would be very honored to oblige her.”

That was as fair and honest an answer as Owen could muster. He could have said it plainer words - I am attracted to her and want to play this out for as long as I can to see where it may lead even if we both end up disappointed in the end.

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - megs - 01-02-2017

Alex listened, silent and stone faced as Owen went about answering his accusations masked as questions. There was nothing particularly dishonorable or questionable about his responses, but Alex still wasn’t happy to hear them. At this point, he didn’t know if he would prefer the sailor to stay or go.

“Very well,” he replied, out of options other than to accept the commander at his word. “I have no intention or authority to keep you from seeing one another. I will follow Julianna’s lead and put a disproportionate amount of trust in you Commander Hart. See to it that you don’t disappoint.”

Julianna reappeared in record time. Somewhere between walking to her room and showering she realized that she was not keen on the idea of leaving Owen alone with her father for too long. Her hair was still damp, curling down her back untamed ringlets and still unadorned of a crown. She wore a sundress in deep blue with a dangerous V of a neckline and a ruffled hem that was higher in the front. It was decorated in a splash of pastel flowers like a watercolor painting. She continued to neglect wearing shoes, but the numerous anklets she wore had been switched out to match her dress. A sapphire-lined cuff adorned her upper left arm.

“Behaving?” she lilted pleasantly, sensing the thin layer of tension between the two men. Who still stood in front of the fountain. Alex had his scolding face on, she noticed and Owen had defaulted back into respectful sailor.

Alex turned to the sound of her bangles and frowned. Mostly at her dress. It was not that different from her usual attire, but given the change in her usual company he wondered if the choice were deliberate. He wished she would wear a crown to give some respect to her own authority. He made none of these comments aloud. “Of course,” he replied gruffly, uncrossing his arms and letting them fall to his side. “I have some things to oversee. Enjoy your day.” He nodded to Owen, before turning a smile on Julianna. He passed another hand over her head, before departing from them.

Julianna’s ears twitched after the contact. She watched Alex walk off, before turning her attention to Owen. She smiled at him, her tail making a slow sway behind her head. “I think there are nautical charts in the library,” she commented. “Some astrological charts too. Perhaps we could finish our lesson?”

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - saronym - 01-09-2017

Owen continued to meet Alex’s gaze with a kind of unwavering stillness. He didn’t like the notion that Julianna put a ‘disproportionate amount of trust’ in him but he was in no mind to start an all out argument with her father.

“I, of course, have no intention to disappoint...”

He had no intention to disappoint his commanding officers. Or Julianna. And yet somehow these two parties seemed at odds and Owen had not figured out how to reconcile them.

Grey eyes broke away from the staring contest to watch Julianna as she approached. Everything about the front of her dress drew the eyes to places Owen didn’t want to stare at in front of her father. A hemline that crept upwards and a neckline that plunged. Bare feet and damp curls. He shifted on his feet and cleared his throat forcing himself to look back at Alex and smiled in agreement that they were ‘behaving.’

Owen’s shoulders and back retained the tension even after Alex had walked away. He felt a sudden responsibility for Julianna’s feelings. That was the point of the conversation, to remind him that he was responsible for the way he was very obviously encouraging her to feel.

Her smile drew one from him and he reached for her hand. “Yes. There’s less rum and snacks in the library to distract us.” His fingers laced through hers and he gestured for her to lead the way vaguely wondering in the back of his mind what happened to the wind breaker he had put around her shoulders earlier that day.

“Your father does not approve of me.” He admitted as they walked to the library. “I think Lanzo’s gotten to him.” He added throwing in a joke to keep the topic light.

RE: Full Sail [Closed] - megs - 01-10-2017

Julianna immediately slipped her hand into his at his offering. The twitch of her ears was an easy reflection of her delight that he’d returned to touching her. She had not enjoyed their lack of contact on the way back to the castle, but her father’s opinion had clearly been weighing on him. As it still seemed to be doing as he brought up Alexavier once more. The queen hummed and shrugged her shoulders slightly, leading him off and towards the library. “My father is quick to draw conclusions,” she replied. “Though I wouldn’t put it past Lanzo to have had some say in shaping those conclusions.” She stepped close enough to nudge her arm with her shoulder. “Don’t let it get to you,” she reassured. “He will come around.”

The library in Eryra was grand. Not the largest on the islands, that was granted to the library at the magic college in Macrilan, but it was large enough to make you wonder how another one could be larger. The open floor plan was decorated with towering shelves filled to the top with books. History, art, science. Fiction and nonfiction. Encyclopedias and atlases and almanacs and so much more lined polished cherry shelves.

Julianna continued to lead Owen down the steps and through the aisle that separated the right side from the left. Tables and desks dotted the extra space. She made a sudden left turn as if she had the layout memorized, and she released his hand to cross to the end of the stack and shift the ladder to her destination. “Stars first,” she explained, moving upwards on the ladder. “Since you were such an abysmal study last night.” She teased him as she paused on the ladder. Pointer finger brushing across titles as she rooted out what she was looking forward. With an ‘aha’ of discovery, she pulled the weather tome from where it was wedged between two equally aged books and held it out for Owen to take from her.