alonimi
Strictly Business [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Strictly Business [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=688)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Strictly Business [Closed] - saronym - 01-08-2020

Shrader didn’t move when she addressed him with her quips. When she was finished, he cocked his head slightly but his expression remained blank.

“Of course you are, that’s your job.” He unfolded his hands in front of him and took a couple of menacing steps towards her. His index finger flicked at the badge pinned to her lapel. “Speaking of short careers, yours has been remarkably short for one serving in the high offices. In fact -” he returned to his casual posture, hands folded in front of him to deliver his statements, “I have questions for you about your passport. There are certain irregularities.”

He leaned a little closer and lowered his voice so that what he was saying would stay between them.

“You see, your Lieutenant Colonel is still new at this job. Young, brash, elevated by his godfather beyond his capabilities. And he’s lazy. He’s made some missteps in covering up your true identity and his godfather’s relationship with you.”

RE: Strictly Business [Closed] - megs - 01-08-2020

Julianna hoped that the fear cementing her feet to the floor came off as a confident woman standing her ground as a man with an ego too big for his own good towered over her. Her jaw set in a way that was too reminiscent of Owen when Shrader flicked at her badge. "Some of us do our jobs well," she snapped. Something about the angry curl of her lip exposed her fangs when she spoke to him. Not a common sight for the usually poised secretary, but it was no secret that this man made her uncomfortable. "I don't work for the CAF," she reminded him. "I am not a ranked officer. I am a secretary that the Lieutenant Colonel hired himself and quite frankly I don't think you have any authority over me."

Her tail dropped to the floor, curving upwards just enough to keep from touching the ground. She didn't want to go anywhere with him. When he leaned into her she could smell the sharpness of a cologne that didn't suit him. Julianna hoped she could keep him bickering with her long enough for Owen to come find her. She had told Renton where she was going and hoped that was enough, paired with Owen's uncanny ability to seek her out.

"Careful, Shrader," she warned in a low tone. "Your jealousy is showing. Beating up civilians didn't rocket you through the ranks like you thought it might?"

She laughed at him again and rolled her eyes. "My passport is fine," she replied, because it was. Though, it did not bear her birth name or any relevant details he would be hard-pressed to find any documentation that would say otherwise.

He knew who she was. Or someone had told him. That was manageable, she was planning on 'coming out' as it were soon enough.

"My identity is not a secret," she lied. A taunting tone, fangs still peeking from behind lips that barely moved with her words. It was a secret, but not for the reasons he wanted to think.

Hiding from her mother was no longer a concern when the woman was dead.

"Just because no one has noticed me doesn't mean it's all a big cover-up."

Shrader listened to her feeble attempts to rationalize her way out of the lie he had clearly caught both her and Owen in. “Why don’t we go into my office and debate the parameters defining a cover-up.” He offered, trying to sound neutral. There was no need to raise the alarm with anyone around them by getting overtly aggressive.

His new job had come with some subtlety training. “Come with me.” He coaxed, “You wouldn’t want me to have to issue arrest warrants for you and the Lieutenant Colonel. Could you imagine, him dragged from his office in cuffs? Kicking and screaming. That temper.” He tsked.

Then he simply took her upper arm and led her to his office. He wasn’t taking no for an answer.

Shrader was the type who kept the shades pulled down in his office. He liked his privacy and anything that went on in his office wouldn’t be visible to the passing busybody in the hall. Unlike the Central Command offices that afforded their users the utmost of privacy, those on the 5th floor were like metaphors to the office’s purposes: transparency. So many windows.

Luckily Shrader had the blinds.

He closed the door behind himself and rounded on the woman whose name he knew to be Julianna. “I know who you are.” He kept his voice low but the tone advertised his displeasure. “I know what you are. And I don’t like being lied to.”

Julianna forced a smile on to her face, but there was no humor in it. It certainly didn't put that charming sparkle into her clear green eyes. Didn't crease corners accentuated by dark eyeliner. It was a mocking smile, continuing the false narrative that he didn't bother her. When he spoke of arrests, she couldn't resist the way those same eyes rolled. A perfect semi-circle, towards the ceiling and then back to his face.

Perhaps, he was handsome, but it didn't register with her. Despite only have interest in one man, Shrader was too vile for her to even consider.

While, the idea of him trying and failing to arrest Owen briefly amused her, because she knew it was Shrader who would end up embarrassed she didn't say so. Julianna exhaled sharply as he took her arm, swallowing down a growl that burned in her chest.

Her tail twitched as she walked with him to his office, nearby. He pushed her inside and the click of the door closing made her tail bristle. Still playing it cool, Julianna slammed the files down into one of the empty chairs in front of his desk and she gracefully floated down to settle in the second one. Julianna crossed her legs, and folded her hands neatly in her lap.

She looked up at him as he continued to stand, and tower over her. Julianna scoffed. "I wasn't lying to you." He spoke as if her alias was something she had done to him personally. She remembered how Owen had once accused her of the same thing. "I don't care about you enough to lie to you, Agent Jehorem. I didn't went I came to this country thirty years ago, and I certainly don't now."

Julianna leaned forward. "And what exactly do you think you have to gain by knowing who I am? I doubt you figured it out for yourself, and the information certainly hasn't benefited whoever told you.."

Shrader crossed his arms over his broad chest. The way he tucked his hands made his biceps bulge under the sleeves of his uniform top.

“Why don’t you put some things together for me.” He said and the made a spinning gesture with his hand like he was trying to work out some thoughts. He tucked the hand away again. “You’ve got a fake passport. You’re working under a false name for Owen Hart, Lieutenant Colonel, Central Command, CAF HQ. Why? What’s the motivation?”

He was pacing now in small lines back and forth in front of her. “More importantly, what’s the connection? Between you and him? And the plan? My theory is you’re trying to convert CAF assets. That’s what you did with Darcy Weatherfare right? Well, he’s your plant. And now you’re trying to get Owen because of his connection to Darcy?”

Julianna sighed. It was a bored sound. She wanted to tell him not to think so hard because she could see him pretending to piece things together in that tiny brain of his. She sat straight and regal in the cheap, hard-backed chair. She made it look like a throne. If he wanted her to be a queen for him, she very well could be. She didn't even need a crown. "There's no motivation," she said cooly. "And Commander Weatherfare isn't my plant."

If he wanted honestly, she could certainly give it. As she'd already said to him, she didn't care enough to lie.

"I left Veridian 30 years ago, because my mother had a bad habit of abusing me while she was still alive. I didn't need to be there. I was no longer shadowing her, and my reign wouldn't begin until she passed. If she passed. We Veridians live quite a long time, as I am sure you know." The scars on her back itched, as if just talking about her threatened to pull her into a dissociative spiral.

She paused and inspected her nails, still advertising her disinterest in him, and this uninteresting story. They were painted a lovely shade of plum that matched her heels. Julianna glanced up briefly to watch him pace. "Darcy Weatherfare defected from Veridian before I was even queen. He's been loyal to the C.A.F for decades and the board is well aware of his history."

"As for myself and Lieutenant Colonel Hart, there is no connection. I became his secretary because I answered an advertisement on a job board. He needed an assistant and my roommate insisted I needed a job. Apparently, I was becoming rather annoying just hanging around the house all the time." This time Julianna waved her hand as if to discredit her busybody of a roommate.

Julianna leaned back in the chair and draped her arms over either side. Her foot tapped in the air to an unheard melody. "There's no conspiracy here, Agent Jehorem. Hate to disappoint."

RE: Strictly Business [Closed] - saronym - 01-12-2020

To say the least, Shrader did not appreciate her attitude. The airs she put on suggesting she was better than him was rather irksome. He stopped his pacing and gave her an expression that advertised his skepticism.

"I've been looking into your roommate, as well." His brow arched. "She has some interesting acquaintances to say the least."

There was a veiled threat there somewhere.

Shrader moved closer enough to her that his shins brushed the front of her legs. He bent down and grabbed her face on one hand, squeezing her jaw with thick fingers.

"I'm tired of your lies. I want the truth, now." He shoved her head back hard.

RE: Strictly Business [Closed] - megs - 01-14-2020

Julianna was starting to feel worried. Why was it taking so long for Owen to find her? She risked a glance at the clock on the opposite wall. His meeting should have been over ten minutes ago. With each second that passed by and she was still stuck with Shrader, her confidence waned.

"You've been snooping on me?" she tried to joke but there was no long her humor in her tone. She didn't like the way he was moving closer to her. Like he didn't remember what had happened the last time he had crossed a line with her. Her ears rotated and settled standing upright. "Are you sure you don't just have a crush on me."

A squeak of surprise escaped her when he grabbed her face. It hurt. The pressure on her jaw forced her mouth open a bit and she struggled to get away from him.

Julianna could feel the demon rouse in her consciousness when Shrader pushed her head away. Belial had neglected to make an appearance the first time she had been detained, but apparently it would not stand a second assault. "I would be very careful, Agent Jehorem," she warned. She pushed hair away from her face and she knew when she looked up at him again her eyes would have turned from green to red. She knew that when she spoke it would sound like two voices talking over one another.

"You're going to get what you want, but you have no idea what you're dealing with."

RE: Strictly Business [Closed] - saronym - 01-14-2020

The otherworldly change to her voice sent a chill down Shrader’s spine. At first, he second-guessed what he was hearing and then he saw the change in her eyes. His hand went for his sidearm. A well-practiced motion released the weapon from its holster and he drew it, but kept it pointed low.

“Is that a threat?”

His question was actually the threat.

“I knew there was something screwy about you. I have an instinct for this kind of thing. Now. I want you to stand up. Slowly, put your hands on the desk where I can see them. You’re being detained for further inquiry.”

He instructed her like the cop he was.

“I said get up!” He kept his feet planted and raised his weapon slowly.

The elevator couldn’t carry Owen fast enough to the fifth floor. He wasn’t sure how he knew, he just had a hunch that Shrader had found Julianna. It was a distinct possibility, given that Shrader’s new promotion placed his office on that very floor.

The bell dinged and the doors opened slowly.

Owen exited the elevator. His movements were slow but carried something like deadly intent.

“Hello, Lieutenant Colonel.” The chipper secretary greeted him. “Miss Haven is ---” she faltered upon seeing the black expression on his face. “...in with Inspector...Jehorem.”

“Thank you, Tati.” Owen’s mouth said. Some part of him that still felt human took over the rote pleasantries expected of him.

When Owen passed, Tati was left wondering how Drusilla managed to work with him day in and day out. The intensity in his physicality left her feeling somewhat tremulous as she went about her duties.

RE: Strictly Business [Closed] - megs - 01-17-2020

"It's not a threat. It's merely a commentary on your stupidity."

Red eyes bored into him, but ears didn't move and tail hung limp. It dragged along with floor as it moved which was a sure sign that Julianna was less and less present in her own body. She was always careful of her tail placement, and Belial didn't have the patience to care.

Belial stood, but not because Shrader demanded it. It shrugged it's shoulders and lifted it's hands in a 'now what' sort of gesture, as it were humoring him. "You don't know anything," it said to him. Belial stepped around him. It didn't care about the gun or of his imposing figure as it paced a short line behind the man's desk. "You certainly don't learn anything if you're stupid enough to be raising your fucking gun at the woman who belongs the man who already beat your ass once."

Shrader seemed to be at loss for what to do with the demon. He was obviously used to demanding compliance from those around him. Even Julianna had been content to appease him.

"I think the cat is right, though," Belial said, making a show of pushing dark hair over it's shoulders. "I think you do want to fuck her and that's why you won't leave her alone." It regarded him over it's shoulder and bat it's lashes. "You get laid much, Agent Jehorem?" It regarded him on the other side of the desk. Eyes burning red and face an empty canvas, as if it were normal for them to be having a conversation about his sex life.

RE: Strictly Business [Closed] - saronym - 01-17-2020

Shrader's eyes narrowed at the insult thrown at him. Stupidity. The little bit of interaction he had with her had informed him enough that she wouldn't have thrown such a word at him directly. It might be her opinion that he was stupid, but she'd shown him that implicitly with her haughty attitude. The servile assistant would have never said it.

She was much too different now. So what did that make her?

She even talked about herself in the third person. The cat. He snapped out of his pondering when she mentioned him wanting to fuck her.

Why did all pretty women seem to think all men wanted to fuck them? Maybe she was just a pretty stepping stone he could use to get his next promotion. Maybe he wasn't interested in the Lieutenant Colonel's sloppy seconds.

He stalked towards her and grabbed her throat and squeezed to shut her up. He didn't say anything, just stared into her strange and red eyes. Perhaps if he scared her enough she would begin talking sense.

Owen paused outside the door with the name plate that read Inspector Shrader Jehorem. He leaned towards the door and listened, his hand poised on his side arm. He could hear a woman's voice through the door but couldn't make out her words. With a subtle touch tried the door handle. Just enough to know it was locked.

He glanced down the hall before he took his wallet out and used a credit card to force open the lock. Shrader would have warning he was coming but Owen didn't have time for anything more subtle and he also didn't necessarily want to make a scene by busting down the door.

Owen slipped into the office and surveyed the scene with a quick glance.

Shrader had his hand around her neck and he turned to point his pistol at the intruder.

"Gonna shoot me?" Owen asked as he walked towards the barrel.

"Stay back, Hart!"

Owen ignored the command and a quick couple of steps brought him within reaching distance of the weapon. Shrader's eyes darted to Julianna and back to Owen. The blonde had better training than Shrader. His movements were quick, well-practiced, and brutal.

A searing pain in Shrader's arm and he dropped the pistol with a clatter to the floor. Shrader kept hold of Julianna's throat but Owen closed in on him. Grappling him in a choke hold his forearm pressing hard on his trachea. Shrader couldn't breathe. He let go of Julianna reflexively and grabbed at the arm that choked him.

Owen's breath was deliberate and controlled as he held steadfast. Shrader was built heavier than Owen and in an all-out context of brute force he'd have the blonde beat. Owen stared Julianna in the face and found himself looking into the eyes of Belial instead. His determination carried the day and soon enough Shrader went limp, blacking out in Owen's arms. Owen held a few seconds longer but restraint won him over and then he lowered the unconscious Agent to the floor, never breaking eye contact with the demon. Shrader wasn't dead but he wasn't a threat anymore.

When he straightened again it was more obvious that he had struggled physically. He stood legs apart, breathing deeply and faster than normal.

"Are you hurt." He wasn't sure whether he was asking after Julianna or just her body. His mind was reeling even though he maintained a facade of cool control, except for his hands which were balled into tight fists.

RE: Strictly Business [Closed] - megs - 01-19-2020

Shrader's tight grip on Julianna's neck did nothing to deter the demon. As if it did not rely on her anatomy to function. It did not struggle to breathe under the weight of his and though it was effectively pinned to the wall for now, it was still able to sling insults at him with the efficiency of an Elizabethan poet. Belial could have escaped it it wanted, but it seemed more content to toy with high-strung Inspector.

Belial's eyes flicked to the space where the door to his office was. He was too large for it to see the door, but it was able to hear Owen's subtle ministrations outside. "Someone's in trouble," the demon sang, red eyes darting back to Shrader's face.

Owen opened the door and Shrader turned his attention to him. His grip tightened on Julianna and Belial frowned. He was going to leave marks on the pretty vessel and the demon didn't appreciate that.

It watched with no amusement as Owen approached and incapacitated the larger man. Dark brows disappeared behind a fringe of bangs, and it hummed like it was impressed with Owen's restraint as he lowered Shrader's body to the ground without killing him. "Good work, Lieutenant Colonel," it complimented in that chilling tone.

"The cat is fine," it told him, able to interpret was he was truly asking after. "Shaken and a bit of brusing, but," the demon shrugged. "Survivable."

Beliala looked him over. "You took too long."

RE: Strictly Business [Closed] - saronym - 01-19-2020

There was none of his usual amusement in the smirk he gave the demon. It was a saucy and hostile expression. He clearly did not take its compliment to heart. He made as if to bow at the end of his performance but it was a feint. He was merely bending over to pick up the fallen pistol. He maintained eye contact with the demon, not wanting to be caught off guard by anything it did.

Straightening, he released the clip with brusque motions. He secreted the expelled magazine into his uniform pocket and then held the gun between forefinger and thumb over the chest of the unconscious Shrader.

“I had a meeting.” Was his only semblance of explaining his absence. Not that he needed to explain his whereabouts to Belial of all beings. He smirked at the demon again and dropped the gun letting it fall, empty and useless onto Shrader’s slowly rising and falling chest. His eyes though locked in contest with Belial suggested amusement at his petty action. So feline. His hand flopped back against his side.

“Good work back there. We're truly a team. You did so much.” He deadpanned.

He paused and then waved his hand dismissively at the demon. “Go on now. Shoo shoo. Back to your little hidey hole.”

RE: Strictly Business [Closed] - megs - 01-19-2020

Belial straightened out the clothing Julianna wore. Smoothing wrinkles out of the blazer and tugging the skirt back down. The demon finger combed Julianna's hair, while Owen dealt with Shrader's weapon. It watched the gun fall on top of the man and they shared that amused look with Owen's pettiness.

"For an assassin you spend a lot of time in meetings," Belial complained, stepping over Shrader to move closer to Owen. There wasn't anything threatening in the way it moved or they way it looked at him. It was making a show of trying to advertise that it had no ill will towards him.

Belial, though known for being an ostentatious murderer, did not like violence. Did not enjoy killing. But it had a short temper, and very little experience with different ways to make a point.

"I guess it's important you stay under your assassination budget." For an ancient deon that spent most of its time in hiding, it seemed to have a rather modern way of speech (though eerie to listen too) and an understanding of the current times. "Does the CAF deduct your pay if you use too many bullets?"

Belial frowned at him as he tried to dismiss the demon as if it were a common pest. He was being remarkably brave in the face of his mother's killer and it supposed it was impressed by that. On the other hand, Belial did not have any fear that the blonde would come after it since it currently inhabited the woman he interested in. "You're mad. That's fair. I understand. Your sarcasm has been noted. Would you rather I not have assisted?" Belial pointed a finger a Shrader. "That man wishes her more harm that to just her reputation."

RE: Strictly Business [Closed] - saronym - 01-23-2020

Owen remained on high alert as the demon got closer stepping over Shrader in Julianna's stilettos. He didn't back up or move defensively. He simply stood his ground and kept his calm attentiveness.

He sighed through his nose as he was castigated by the saucy demon. "That's bureaucracy for you." He took the magazine out of his pocket and showed it to Belial. "I have ammunition usage discretion but he will have to explain an entire missing clip to Muntions Requisition." He shrugged and pocketed the object again.

That was how deep his pettiness went. He took the magazine not to secure the room, but to give Shrader paperwork and a headache later on.

"You did fine." Owen said with a huff. He did not want to argue with the entity. He just wanted it to go away. "Good job. Now look, I want to get the fuck out of here so... if you're going to stick around, I'm going to need you to behave yourself. No talking. And don't look people in the eyes..." He gestured at her red eyes with his two fingers, "It's unsettling."