alonimi
Reiterations [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Reiterations [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=687)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - megs - 10-09-2016

Aphrodite’s excitement was obvious on her features, having turned her head to look at him as well. The difference was she could multitask with the braid and he was supposed to be learning. She nodded eagerly when he confirmed her field. “I did mine on whether lycanthropy is an advanced concept of paramutation. Did you consider the Transvection Theorem in yours?” Dite was also lacking conversation in her respective fields. The other professors were mostly a boys’ club that refused to acknowledge that she was just as qualified, if not more, than the rest of them. They had only been talking for a few moments, but Holland already spoke to her with wildly more respect. It was nice.

The blonde giggled in time with Rose, amused by her reaction. “You’re welcome,” she said, resisting the urge to cuddle the child despite being extremely pleased she had chosen to stay close to her. Instead of smothering the adorable kid, she left her to her own devices, quietly flipping through her book in her lap. “Don’t worry,” she said, beaming at his pun and placing a consoling hand upon his upper arm. “The end is the easy part, though I probably should have started with something easier.”

Rose lifted her book to Aphrodite’s eye level, presumably to show her something, so for a moment her attention was stolen. They had a brief conversation about the creature on the page, a colorful unicorn whose pop-up form made it appear running out of the book.

Humming in agreement to his observation, she spoke to Holland while flipping pages for Rose. Somehow she had become the one in charge of the book, Rose having fully nestled herself against Aphrodite. “I’m from Kensington, London. I came to the U.S. for a post-grad laboratory opportunity. Afterwards, I took a position at the University of Colorado. So, home is here for me now, as well.”

_______

“You would know if she did not approve,” Jules replied, as if the statement was at all reassuring. “Besides, she doesn’t get a say. I am perfectly capable of choosing my own men.” She was almost distracted by the way he was looking at her. Her own features softened as he looked down at her. She cocked her head, small smile playing on her lips, ears swept across her hair once before returning to attention.

“They are,” she insisted, but it was useless. His mouth was on hers and she was no longer concerned with their friends downstairs. Her fingers curled into the fabric of his shirt and when he pulled away she was left slightly dazed and a touch breathless; smile turning somewhat dreamy.

She looked over his shoulder, not that she would be able to see the trio downstairs from where they stood. When no other sounds of distress echoed from the living room she shrugged and looked back to him, listening to make sure Cain hadn't been woken. “I guess things are going okay. Holland came to us for help though. We shouldn’t be gone too long.” Her specific wording seemed to imply that they didn't have to go downstairs immediately.

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - saronym - 10-09-2016

Holland’s eyebrows pulled together in a curious kind of frown as he considered the topic of her thesis. “I would love to read that sometime if you don’t mind sharing.” He was simply dazzled by her.

His face lost a little of his enthusiasm, however, when she asked for more details on his thesis.

“Actually, I didn’t. It wasn’t my best work to be honest.” He hesitated drawing his lip ring into his mouth while he weighed whether it would be safe to share more. He decided to go for it, carefully. “My girlfriend was due around the time I had to finish my degree. It was - well - just - really stressful for me. I took an incomplete and finished the thesis in a rush over the summer so I could graduate. My committee took pity on me, I think, I shouldn’t have passed.”

He sighed remembering the time he spent in his professor's offices explaining how out of control his anxiety had been and asking for extension after extension.

Rose was giggling meanwhile completely unaware of the conversation the adults were having. Holland nearly startled when Aphrodite touched him. Her soft reassuring hand was suddenly and unexpectedly on his arm. He swallowed and smiled nervously, eyes flicking to her hand and back to her eyes. “I’m normally a good student, I promise.”
When Rose held up her book to show Aphrodite, Holland leaned over to see what the girls were looking at. Just as soon as she’d showed the picture she was wiggling to get down. “I want to color that one.” Her finger pointed to the unicorn of which there was a matching picture in the corresponding coloring book.

Holland retrieved the coloring book and an excessively large box of crayons for the girl and set her up on the floor nearby while Aphrodite described her origins. “You must be good if they poached you from the U.K.” He observed from where he crouched on the floor while he flipped through the coloring book to find the picture Rose wanted. He set the pop-up next to her for reference in case she wanted to replicate the coloring. She didn’t. She proceeded to scribble with seemingly random colors.

Holland stood up and tugged his jeans back down until they rested back on his hips. “Is it just me or is it weird that neither of them have come back yet? Owen didn’t even offer to get me a beer or anything.” He shook his head, eyeing Owen’s abandoned half-consumed brew on the living room table. “I guess I have to help myself. Can I get you anything?” He stepped carefully over Rose and was already moving towards the kitchen.

_____

Owen craned his neck with Julianna trying to peer down the stairs. It was no use. He couldn’t see anything but the feet of the stairs. He could hear Holland speaking but couldn’t discern what was said.

His eyebrow arched inquisitively and the sly grin was immediately back on his lips when Julianna suggested they could continue to shirk their hosting duties. “What exactly are you suggesting?” He queried stepping forward and pushing her back with his hands on her hips. “Are you saying that we can linger up here doing who knows what while Holland’s fatherhood hangs in the balance?” Her back met the wall and Owen tsked in fake moral outrage even as his lips brushed against the curve of her neck. “What would Aphrodite think of you?”

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - megs - 10-10-2016

“I might have a copy floating around somewhere that I can give to you. Unfortunately, with the discovery of allele fixation it’s a bit out of date.” She made a face, a cute wrinkling of her nose to simulate her displeasure of the facts. At the time her paper had been considered progressive, now it was disproven speculation. Her eyes fell briefly to his mouth, the way he toyed with the metal strung through his lip was distracting. As was the curve of his lips. And the perfect shape of his cupid’s bow. Quickly, she locked her eyes with his again, lest her thoughts stray too far off topic.

She hummed sympathetically as he explained the situation of his own research. She assumed by girlfriend, she meant Rose’s mother. The idea of which was a topic she certainly wanted to pursue, but something about the situation told her to continue holding off. “Well, if you ever decide to revisit the topic I would be very happy to help.”

Her hand fell away from his arm, fingers trailing across the fabric of his shirt, just as he stood to assist Rose with her coloring book. “I’m sure you’re a very good student,” she replied with a chuckle, helping Rose to get down from her lap. Had that sound suggestive? It certainly wasn’t meant to be. Or was it? She smoothed her skirt, slightly rumpled over her knees and watched the charming duo get situated at the coffee table.

“Oh, I wasn’t poached. Not really. The team I assisted was an infant project with the goal of formulating a vaccine for lycanthropy. There wasn’t work like it at the time in the U.K. Wereanimals were still fighting for the same rights as humans. No particular interest in a vaccine. I was intrigued.”

She seemed to have very formulated opinions on wereanimals.

Aphrodite laughed. “Do I think it strange that the couple who just put their child down for a nap and has guests entertaining themselves has not returned?” She cocked her head at him, her implication more than obvious. Instead of answering, she choose to follow him. The kitchen was a short distance and Rose seemed occupied. Glass in hand she leaned against the island as Holland moved throughout the kitchen. “I think there’s a bottle of wine in the fridge,” she explained, presenting her glass.

____

Julianna moved easily at his insistence, and from Owen it did not often take much insistence for her to acquiesce to his whims. Pressed against the wall, his hands and his words left her mostly breathless. She looked up at him coyly. “I think that’s what you’re saying,” she murmured. His lips on her skin made it difficult to think and she sighed. She brushed fingertips along the line of his jaw towards his ear. “If you’re so sure of your matchmaking it couldn’t possibly hurt to let them mingle?” Fingers traced the shell of his ear, head tilting to the side to allow him easier access.

“I think you worry too much about with Aphrodite thinks.”

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - saronym - 10-10-2016

A brief laugh escaped Holland when Aphrodite cringed at her own past writings not because he was laughing at her but because the feeling was all too familiar to him. His eyes flicked over the way her skin pinned up on her nose. A rather adorable expression. “I think we can spare one another our embarrassing master’s theses.”

He was more than aware of her gaze on his lip piercing and he briefly worried that she disapproved. The feeling passed quickly as she seemed merely transfixed by his toying with it. With her gaze downturned, he studied the fall of her lashes that framed her eyes for the moment until her gaze returned to his. “Thank you. I just might take you up on that. My position with the CAF is part research oriented and they are pressuring me to publish something soon. Re-working something older might be easier.”

He had scarce time to react to her seemingly suggestive remark except for his eyebrows which shot up before she moved on to describing the reasons for her arrival to the U.S. “The U.K. has been very conservative on these kinds of things, although the States isn’t terribly more progressive. Just enough, I suppose.” Apparently, Holland held similar political leanings towards at least wereanimals as Aphrodite.

Holland shook his head as he moved away into the kitchen, which was really a gesture of him agreeing with Aphrodite’s unspoken judgment of the friends who had left them hanging, as it were. He could guess why. He located the bottle of wine and pulled out the cork out with a satisfying pop to refill Aphrodite’s glass with a generous pour. He watched the wine fall into her glass which spared him from staring at the perfect image she made poised against the counter with her glass out for him to serve her.

He exchanged the bottle for a beer for himself, using the opener Owen had left on the counter. Holland moved next to the blonde facing her with one hip leaning into the counter. His fingers toyed with the bottle lid on the counter, the silence filled with the clinks it made against granite.

“So do you have any kids?” He asked out of the blue. He was curious about her relationship status. Not that it was any of his business. And not that it would be any of his business in this reality. Ever. “You were very sweet with Rose so, you know, I figured...” He trailed off, unsure if the line of questioning was inappropriate or overly transparent. Usually these things were better facilitated by friends who could direct the conversation.

______

The feeling of Julianna’s fingers on Owen’s ear sent a tingling of electricity down his neck and up into his scalp on that side. A touch any lighter and it would have felt like a tickle. Owen didn’t know whether to lean into the feeling or pull away. His breath was hot against her neck when she touched him as he tried not to laugh. His teeth grazed her skin when his lips pulled back into an involuntary smile. He reached up and pushed her hand away pinning it to the wall next to her head. His shoulder shrugged as if to clear away the ticklish feeling which lingered at his ear even when her fingers weren’t there anymore. Too many places on his body responded that way when she touched him like that.

“No, I really think you are the one with the ulterior motives.” He insisted moving to her throat when she lifted her chin for him. “I have an unfinished beer --- and I am willing to --- sip it leisurely and --- watch my match-making unfold.” He said in fits between brief taunting kisses. He pulled his mouth away then and Owen straightened to his full height again. Without lifting her up, he had to bend down quite a bit to reach her neck. Besides it was more fun to give a little and take away again. He left her one hand pinned to the wall and his body half-pressed into hers. “It’s you who seems to have other plans for me.”

He tried to smile innocently down at her as if the prospect of a quickly warming beer and small talk was more interesting to him than whatever game they were playing in the upstairs hallway.

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - megs - 10-11-2016

Pretending to sigh with relief she pressed a hand to the middle of her chest. “Oh, thank you,” she breathed, smiling. “I honestly don’t know if I could handle the embarrassment. An attractive man finally wants to read one of my papers and it’s the worst one.” The compliment was a calculated risk she had decided she was willing to take. Dite had never been particularly shy about putting her opinions on the table, whether they were about lycanthrope rights or handsome men.

“Even if you decide to work on something else, I’d be happy to help. I certainly know publishing pressure. Makes it almost impossible to actually get any work done.”

She was pleased that he seemed to have a positive view on the matter of weres. If her previous research and lab work were any indication the subject was clearly something she was passionate about. She continued talking as they settled in the kitchen. “With the U.K ignoring wereanimal rights, and the U.S. forcing them to register themselves, there’s really no winning. Unless you move to New Zealand, I guess.” Her brow furrowed as she chewed on his bottom lip, but only for a moment. She released it in fear of ruining her lipstick. “Plus there’s that new bill they’re trying to pass.” She made a disgusted noise, before mouthing a silent thank you as he filled her glass. “Trying to bar weres from working in public government. It’s shameful.”

Aphrodite had been in the middle of a sip of wine when he suddenly asked her about children. She tried not to look caught off-guard but she took a longer sip then had originally been planned. An innocent enough question, even if the subject was sore. He didn’t know any better. “Nope,” she said simply, though cheerful. A small shrug of her shoulders as she held the glass against her chest with both hands. “I’d have to not have been woefully single for the past few years.” She laughed lightly. “Too much school, too much work. Not enough dating. I love them though, and Rose is such a sweetheart.”

____

Julianna chuckled when he pinned her hand to the wall, managing to make it throaty and suggestive. As if the situation weren’t already heavy with suggestion. The sound resonated against his lips still on her neck, and though his mouth did not stray from it’s ministrations, she knew he was trying to prevent her from tickling him further. It was such a fun game with him, toeing that fine line between teasing and tickling that drove him mad. His wandering lips caused her to shiver, and she wanted very badly to kiss him.

When he pulled away she pouted, bottom lip pushing out slightly. He was too far away to kiss now. Sometimes she loathed the difference in inches between. Even in heels she couldn’t quite get to the prize of his mouth. And he was always using his height to toy with her.

Jules’ had at no point been the one with the plan. Owen had been the one to abandon their guests and seek her out upstairs and away from them. This taunting must have been her punishment for showing him off to Aphrodite. Though, it sort of felt like a reward.

“Are you suggesting that I am suggesting that you pick a room to have your way with me in?” Her smile was less innocent, a devious curl at one corner. “I wouldn’t dream of making you miss your brilliant plan in action.” She could play his games too. Julianna wiggled as if she were trying to remove herself from where she was trapped between his body and the wall.

“We don’t want to keep our guests waiting,” she said, as if she’d never mentioned picking a room.

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - saronym - 10-12-2016

Holland didn’t take the compliment with grace, not because he couldn’t appreciate being called handsome, but because he was completely floored. Was she flirting with him? He decided it was best to assume she was just being polite. Men got in trouble when they assumed women who were being friendly were flirting. He felt like a wreck besides, so clearly she was just being nice, cordial, affable. All the things she seemed to be. He felt his ears burning and Holland couldn’t resist scratching at his stubble again. An awkward smile played out on his lips. “Best to leave the academic skeletons in the closet, I guess.”

After the compliment and insistence that she would help him figure out something to publish, Holland began wondering if it would be appropriate to ask for her phone number. He waffled on asking now as opposed to being forced to ask when Owen and Julianna returned. If they returned. He could see Owen’s shit eating grin in his mind and Julianna’s eyes lighting up. He felt second hand future embarrassment for himself. Better get it out of the way soon.

Holland nodded his agreement with her disgust for the bill. “I’ve heard if the bill passes the CAF will also be releasing weres from their military service contracts, as well.” He shook his head, “They don’t care. It would affect less than one percent of the non-combat roles anyways. Weres are considered ‘medically deficient’ and cannot serve in combat roles. Of course the CAF will wait for the bill so they don’t seem so politically ass-backwards.” He rolled his eyes signifying how much he thought of the CAF’s political decisions.

Woefully single sounded more like delightfully single in Holland’s mind. His spirits lifted. She wasn’t taken. Not that he was brave enough to ask her out anyway, but at least she wasn’t seen someone else. Holland sipped at his beer. “I know what you mean. Now that Rose is living with me, I don’t know how I’ll find the time to date.” He pursed his lips thoughtfully eyes rolling to the ceiling as he considered it. “I’m not sure how dating works with a kid. Very carefully, I suppose.”

______

Owen’s expression mirrored Julianna’s. Devious and aroused. His eyebrow arched and he laughed at the suggestion that he wanted to take her in the other room. As if that was a ridiculous suggestion.

Owen’s hand tightened on her wrist when she started to move her body. For good measure he pinned the other wrist above her head as well. Leaning down again, Owen lightly bit the lip that had pouted at him a moment ago. “Listen to you putting words in my mouth.” There was a playful warning in his voice. He pulled away just slightly so their mouths were separated but reachable should she dare. “You know for all the demands you seem to want to make...I have yet to hear you ask for it. Or even say please.”

He cocked his head as if he were waiting for the question he’d demanded she ask.

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - megs - 10-12-2016

Holland’s response, or lack thereof, signaled to Aphrodite that she had been too forward. She would keep that in mind as the conversation moved along. She chalked his reaction up to the aforementioned girlfriend still being a factor.

Dite frowned for the first time at the words 'medically deficient'. The corners of her mouth fell, and her brow furrowed. Usually she would hide such and unattractive reaction behind her wine glass but the CAF was one of the few things that really pissed her off. The look wasn’t for him, they weren’t his words. As soon as a vaccine had been found, lycanthropy was listed as a disease. Another way for weres to be discriminated against. “Thousands of people will lose their jobs, their benefits, and so much more if this bill passes. I can’t believe it’s even being considered. It’s horrible.”

She could sense herself getting a bit worked up as she always did whenever she talked about the proposition. Clearing her throat, she pulled one hand from her glass to smooth it over the pleats over her hips. A nervous habit.

She was visibly surprised when he mentioned trying to find time to date, having already resigned to thinking him taken. Admittedly she was a bit thrilled by the sudden appearance of opportunity. She sipped wine as she watched him watch the ceiling. They were on the subject, it couldn’t hurt to ask. “You’re single? Rose’s mother…” she let the sentence trail but there was the remaining lilt of a question.

_________

Jules didn’t take his laugh to heart, ears twitching at the sound of it.

“I would never dream of putting words in your mouth,” she replied with blatant double-meaning. She defiantly tested his grip on her wrists, and it didn’t seem like he would be letting her loose any time soon. It would appear they were at an impasse. Owen wanted her to ask and she wanted him to take, leaving the matter to be solved by which one of them was willing to cave first.

The taunting way his teeth pressed into her lip sent an electric shock down her spine. They way his mouth hovered just in reach, conspired to make her the one to cave first. Owen was in one of his more playful moods, which meant he would be willing to make the game last as long as it took. Julianna leaned forward, pressing her mouth to his.

Their friends could only entertain themselves for so long and eventually Cain would rouse from his nap. Next time she would make sure he caved.

“You should pick one of these rooms to fuck me in,” she said, and it was not a suggestion. Her lips brushed against his as she spoke, looking up at him through a fringe of dark lashes. “Please,” she added in a sultry whisper.

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - saronym - 10-12-2016

Holland wondered if he was upsetting Aphrodite with his continuation of the talk on wereanimal politics. It was a heavy subject for new acquaintances. The tenor of the conversation became more heated after he’d mentioned the CAF’s stances. “Yes, I agree.” He shifted his feet and sipped at his beer instead of saying anything further. He looked away from her as she seemed uncomfortable. If she wanted to continue to talk about weres, he’d let her lead since she seemed to have a lot of feelings on the subject.

Holland’s gaze snapped back to Aphrodite’s when she broached the subject of Rose’s mother. Again he found himself fiddling with his sprouting beard. He felt sort of glad he hadn’t shaved it as rubbing his fingers along the hairs was kind of soothing to him at the moment. “Oh, well, it didn’t...we didn’t work out. It wasn’t my decision.” He said this suddenly and defensively. He didn’t want Aphrodite to think he hadn’t wanted Rose or the relationship. He had wanted it, desperately. Too much, probably.

“She left me after Rose was born.” He admitted.

Holland turned to look over his shoulder to ensure Rose was occupied. From his spot in the kitchen he had a good angle to see her. She was still engrossed with her coloring book. Turning back to Aphrodite, Holland’s voice dropped in volume to a confidential tone.

“She, uhm well, she passed away last week actually. Rose’s mother. I had to do the funeral arrangements for her. So now I finally have custody of Rose.” The word ‘finally’ just slipped out with all the bitterness Holland still had for the protracted custody battle he'd lost loaded onto the word. He cringed, and put his fist over his mouth. He half turned to see if Rose heard. Still occupied. “Shit. That sounds bad.” He said against his fingers. “Shit sorry. I hate that I just said that. I feel horrible.” He turned once more. Rose still hadn't looked up from her book. She remained unaware.

His hand fell back against his side and he forced it into his pocket even as he was shoving down a rising panic. He wished he could fit in his pocket and hide from Aphrodite after his outpouring. He couldn’t mask the pained expression on his face and he felt the urge to continue his thought. “Rose doesn’t quite understand her mother - you know - she thinks this is all temporary. I’m drowning, I don’t know what to do with her. I thought maybe Julianna and Owen could give me some guidance.” He sighed in frustration at their friends whose absences at this point had become grossly obvious. “Not sure what I was thinking there. I’m not really thinking these days. Just sort of reacting, you know?”

Holland realized he was rambling and unloading on this complete stranger. This beautiful stranger. He stopped to sip at his beer again to collect himself. His daughter’s dead mother was even more heavy conversation. “I’m sorry. This isn’t pleasant conversation. We can change the subject if you want to.” He didn’t feel like getting into any more. He’d revealed too much of his trashy life to her for one day.

Holland was sincerely wishing Julianna or Owen were there to steer the conversation for them. It was what hosts were supposed to do with their guests.

_________

Owen’s lips responded to Julianna’s with hunger. He growled appreciatively against her mouth when she made her demands. He was just as eager as she and was frankly relieved that she had caved. In truth, he likely wouldn’t have lasted another round of their game. His erection was aching against the seam of his jeans. But a victory was a victory. He so loved winning. Especially when it came to her.

“As you wish.” He breathed, his smile now victorious. Owen released her hands and pulled Julianna away from the wall.

His hand curled around her ponytail and he pulled her head back so he could kiss her again. “I’m going to take my time. And I’m going to mess up your hair." He warned, as if she'd protest. "That way there’s no question in anyone’s mind what you were doing.” As if it didn’t take two to tango.

After releasing her hair with a gruff motion, he bent down easily lifted Julianna over his shoulder. She wanted to be taken so he’d take her. He headed down the hall towards the stairs rather than away. The last door on the left by the stairs. It was the guest bedroom. He half-heartedly pushed the door closed. It swung slowly and just barely caught in the frame. Apparently, Owen had another game in mind.

He unloaded Julianna onto the bed with just enough force for her to bounce against the mattress. “But,” he started to instruct as his fingers worked at the button and zipper of her jeans, “You're going to have to be quiet.”

The look in his eyes suggested Owen was already scheming the ways he would challenge her self control. He tugged the jeans off her body and moved on top of her using his knees to spread her legs and settled his hips against hers.

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - megs - 10-13-2016

Aphrodite’s face fell; her expression sympathetic without being pitying. She stopped fidgeting with her skirt, set down her wine, and moved closer to him so they could keep the conversation between them. With a hand upon his arm she squeezed gently. “It’s okay. I didn’t mean to pry,” she consoled. She didn’t judge him for the ‘finally.” There had to be something about the situation that made him feel that way. Dite now understood why he came over for Owen and Jules’ help and why he was so put out about their absence. Her thumb brushed a steady rhythm across his bicep.

“I understand. It’s a lot to take on at one time. You should try to relax while you’re here. Just breathe, okay? I’ll help with Rose, and when Jules and Owen come back I’ll give them what for.” She tilted her head, trying to catch his eyes and smiled at him.

At the front of the house the door opened and slammed closed again. Keiavan dropped his backpack on the ground and kicked off his shoes, looking around the immediate vicinity for any familiar occupants of the house. “Mama?” he called, pulling the white dress shirt he wore out of the dark slacks. He looked like a miniature businessman, wearing a tie that wasn’t even a clip on. As he moved further into the house he tugged on it, because he didn’t know how to get it off.

Aphrodite perked, cocking her head to the sound of the child’s voice. “That sounds like Keiavan,” she explained to Holland sounding and equal mixture of pleased and confused. She squeezed Holland’s arm a final time, trying to assure him that she was still there for him. Her fingers trailed across the fabric of his shirt as she pulled away. She walked out of the kitchen to meet up with the child. He stood outside the living room.

“Hey, Keiavan,” she said, and he stopped looking at whatever had him transfixed in the other room. He smiled at her.

“Hi Aunt Dite.”

When she was close enough she pushed pushed dark curls away from his forehead and cupped his face in her hands. “You look so nice,” she complimented. “Why are you all dressed up?”

I had a cello recital today,” he explained, having already focused his attention back on Rose, sitting at the table with her coloring book. Aphrodite mock pouted at him, hands on her hips.

“Why didn’t you tell me? I would have come to see you.”

Kei shrugged his shoulders, looking sheepish. “I forgot,” he admitted, quietly. “I forgot to tell mama too. Uncle Kama was mad. Who’s that girl?” He asked, sentences running together as he was no longer concerned with the details of his concert. He pointed at Rose.

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - saronym - 10-14-2016

Holland allowed himself to be comforted by the soft touch and steady cadence of Aphrodite’s thumb along his arm. He let his eyes meet hers and he nodded his agreement with her plan to excoriate their rude friends. He felt relieved that she wasn’t put out by his sudden brush with panic. Although he did feel ashamed that this woman found herself rescuing him. He didn’t want to always feel like a salvage project.

“I’m fine.” He promised her though he could feel his hand trembling a little bit. He wanted badly to bite down on that hand to stop it from giving him away. He forced a smile. “Really, I’m fine. Just stressed.”

The sound of another child from the other room beckoned Aphrodite’s attention. Holland hung back for a moment in the kitchen to collect himself before moving into the other room. Reminding himself that Rose was shy around strangers, he knelt down next to his daughter and tried to put his arm around her shoulders.

The child moved away from him and walked right up to the boy whose name had been established as Keivan. She clutched a red crayon in her right fist which she switched to the left. She thrust her little hand out, offering to shake his hand. “Hi Keevan. I’m Rose.” She also butchered his name but said her greeting very seriously clearly mimicking the way she’d watched adults greet each other. “That is my dad.” She pointed to Holland who waved at Keivan. “And I like your tie. Very much!” Apparently Rose, a three year old, could be a better host than the two adults who lived in the Hart home.

Holland’s eyes lit up and he tried to catch Aphrodite’s gaze so they could silently share the glee of watching the children interact. He choked back a laugh when he witnessed his timid daughter greet the boy with a confidence he didn’t know she had. The earlier distress was washing away.

Seeing as to how Rose didn’t seem to need his protection, Holland moved to the couch bringing his beer with him and the coloring book. He was curious to see how Rose’s picture came out. Besides, she’d abandoned the effort as soon as she’s latched on to the boy in a suit.

“Is that Julianna’s son?” He was vaguely aware of another child of Julianna’s that Owen said spent time with them every now and then. He didn’t know the full story and had never met the boy.

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - megs - 10-15-2016

Keiavan involuntary backed up towards Aphrodite when Rose started to approach him. He bumped into her knees and it was starting to seem like he was the one who was actually shy around strangers. Even small, polite ones in cheetah print leggings. Kei turned his head upwards to look at Aphrodite, something close to terror in his wide blue eyes. Dite nudged him gently with her fingertips and he tentatively reached out for Rose’s hand, shaking it gently.

“Hi,” he said, the word sounding longer than it was in his hesitation. Kei looked over Rose’s head to Holland, now occupying the living room but didn’t wave back.

Aphrodite was beaming when she caught Holland’s gaze. The scene was entirely too cute for words, but she was near bursting with giddy excitement. Moving out from behind Keiavan she swept back into the living room and all but fell next to Holland on the couch. Her knees bumped into his. “That’s so cute,” she somehow managed to whisper when she just wanted to giggle.

Kei looked down at his green tie, somewhat crooked from his fiddling with it. He set it back to rights clumsily. “Thanks,” he said politely. He looked her over quickly for something to compliment in return, spotting the rose-shaped pendant in a gold chain around her neck he lit up. “I really like your necklace! It’s just like your name.”

Dite took a deep dramatic breath, searching for some composure in the face of the scene playing out before them. Her knees were still against Holland’s, and she was nodding to answer his question. “Yes. That’s Keiavan. He’s seven and usually lives with Jule’s brother Kama. He visits on the weekends.”

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - saronym - 10-16-2016

When Aphrodite made her crash landing on the couch, Holland involuntarily put his arm out, catching her around the shoulders as she fell in next to him. She was trying not to giggle but he wasn’t. Her knees were against his and he didn’t move away but leaned closer. “I’ve never seen this side of her. She's usually so - you know - bashful.” His voice was low. He seemed to have forgotten the hand behind Aphrodite. It kept her close and their commentary remained confidential.

Holland nodded as she explained the custody situation with Keiavan. He noted no judgment in her voice and was relieved to know that she seemed comfortable with alternative kinds of parenting situations. That his family life didn’t seem so out of place.

“Owen’s pretty fond of him you know,” Holland revealed not knowing whether Owen had ever expressed anything of the sort to anyone else. Perhaps only to Julianna. Even then Holland couldn't be sure, Owen was so very stingy with his feelings. “He likes taking the boy out. It’s weird. I never pictured Owen as the father type.” He blinked suddenly as if something occurred to him. “I never pictured myself as a father really. And yet here we all are.”

Realizing that his arm was still around her, Holland slowly pulled it away and let his hand drop against his thigh. He looked away to observe the children.

Rose held out her necklace away from her neck for Kei to inspect closer when he mentioned it. “Thank you. My daddy gave it to me.” The necklace dropped back against her body. Without anything else to say, Rose started to shy away. She looked down at her feet and twisted back and forth with hands hidden behind her back.

Holland didn’t know whether to rescue the children or let them figure socialization out for themselves.

Suddenly Rose perked up, "Dite braided my hair today." She turned her head for the boy to see. "Do you like it?" Apparently Rose was fishing for more compliments. "I picked out my own outfit." She twirled around proudly as if in a skirt that would billow on display. "I like these leggings. They are my favorite." Rose, being only three, couldn't appreciate that a seven year old boy might not be interested in her fashion choices or hair style. "Did you pick out your outfit?" The question was posed as a challenge. Rose suggesting that she was more mature than the boy having been allowed to dress herself.

Holland couldn't suppress another giggle. Rose apparently had quite the attitude.

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - megs - 11-01-2016

Aphrodite was clearly surprised by the revelation that Owen enjoyed spending time with Kieavan. A slight lift of her eyebrows and a cock to her head. She’d been aware through Julianna that they had spent some time together, and she had been somewhat impressed by Owen taking an interest in Jules’ other child. She had admittedly (and rudely) assumed that was out of some feigned sense of responsibility, now that they had a child together.

It was safe to say she was still wary of Owen.

“Well, you both seem to be doing a good job,” she expressed, Holland's arm with her elbow. “I’m impressed. Mostly with Owen, but you’re holding out too, it seems.”

Keiavan still looked cautious of the situation, but had politely decided not to bail on Rose. When the awkward silence fell between them he fidgeted in much the same manner, but didn’t have the social skills to know how to excuse himself from the conversation. Clearly, thankful that she'd thought of something else to chatter about. He nodded eagerly when Rose showed him her braid, and looked down at his own outfit when she talked about hers. He frowned, vaguely aware that she might have been challenging him.

“No,” he admitted, finally, though sheepishly. “I have to wear this when I play the cello,” he explained. Neglecting to assume that she wouldn’t know what he was talking about. “My uncle picks it out for me. I always have to wear a tie.” Kei huffed, hands moving to undo the article in question again. He slid the fabric from his collar as dull footsteps descended the stairs.

“Keiavan!” Julianna’s pleasant sing song tone could be heard as she appeared behind the boy and wrapped him up in a big hug. Her hair looked as if it had been clawed back into a sloppy ponytail on top of her head. As if time constraints had suddenly occurred to her. Otherwise, she looked as put together as a mother with a toddler would. She gazed over the boy’s shoulder to see Aphrodite frowning at her like some matronly schoolteacher that had caught her smoking in the girl’s room. Ears twitching she pulled away from Kei and straightened, keeping one hand affectionately on top of his head.

She smiled down at Rose. “Hi,” she said to the girl, tail swaying behind her head. “You must be Rose. I love your braid,” she kindly, recognizing Aphrodite’s work and having heard the conversation on her way down. Looking up again she finger-waved at Holland.

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - saronym - 11-01-2016

The tilt of Aphrodite’s head and the dubious expression that flashed over her face signaled to Holland that Owen hadn’t widely shared his thoughts and feelings about Keiavan. Holland was left wondering why Owen was so intent on keeping things such as his fondness for his lover’s child a secret. It clearly didn’t do him any favors with Julianna’s friend. Aphrodite’s nudging and encouragement pulled another smile from Holland. She seemed good at comforting him and making him smile. He wondered if she was just polite and would go on to complain about how needy Holland had been later. “I’ll get better at it.” He promised. “Hopefully. Maybe. I appreciate the vote of confidence.”

Holland’s ears pricked to the sound of his daughter’s voice. “Daddy what’s a cello?” She was asking while Kei removed his tie.

“It’s a stringed instrument.” He explained to Rose’s blank expression. “To play music on.” He mimicked the motions of playing a cello.

Rose shrugged and turned back just in time to catch Julianna hugging Keiavan. She stepped back cautious of the newcomer who had commandeered her new friend. Though they hadn’t decided to be friends as a unit, Rose had decided for them. Keiavan with the tie was now her friend.

She was readily placated by the compliment and sweet tone of the woman’s voice. “Thank youuu.” Rose drew the word out, turning back and forth bashfully, as her hand ran over the braid that the new woman had compliment her on. “Dite can fix your hair too.” The observant child apparently felt the need to volunteer Aphrodite’s hair styling services on behalf of the woman that seemed to need some help with her hair.

Loud laughter could be heard from the kitchen after Rose’s comment, which is where Owen had immediately gone after following Julianna downstairs. Food and drink were things he always wanted after sex. He appeared in the doorway of the living room to lean his hip casually against the wall. He snacked on salted peanuts that he threw back into his mouth in handfuls at a time. He had taken more time than Julianna to put himself together. His hair was combed neatly. His shirt had somehow remained unwrinkled and he had the sleeves rolled up as they always were.

“Hey little man.” He greeted Keiavan the same way he had Cain earlier with an easy smile. Owen knelt down and held an arm out to see if the boy would come to him.

“So what’d we miss?” He asked meanwhile as if to draw even more attention to the time they’d spent upstairs doing what everyone (except the children) knew that they were doing.

Holland pinched the bridge of his nose and rolled his eyes in response to Owen’s obvious joke. He glanced over at Aphrodite in a ‘can you believe these people’ kind of way.

RE: Reiterations [Closed] - megs - 11-02-2016

Ears pushed forward and Jules was clearly caught off guard by Rose’s comment. She would have laughed herself, but Owen’s amusement sounding off from the kitchen had her rolling her eyes instead. Being stuck in mom mode meant she had little room for more stylish fashion choices, so Owen looked better than her more often than not. Better still when she’d rushed down to visit with the guests they’d been willfully ignoring.

Julianna’s gaze lifted to Aphrodite who was still staring her down, features set in passive stone. They fell upon Rose, again. “Do you really think so?” She asked, fingers trailing across Kei’s head as she lifted both hands to remove the elastic from her sloppy ponytail. It fell over her shoulders in hazard waves. Smiling again to the girl, she left the children and crossed into the living room. “How about it Dite?” she asked playfully. Julianna squeezed herself between the coffee table and Aphrodite’s knees and sat down in front of her, even though the other woman refused to make room. “Will you fix my hair, too?” She craned her neck to bat eyelashes up at the blonde.

Keiavan perked, immediately forgetting about his tie in the face of Owen’s greeting. Grinning he jogged over to where Owen was waiting. Little arms snaked around his neck in a hug.

Aphrodite looked to Holland first, her expression mimicking his own. She rearranged herself to be seated more comfortably behind her friend. “You are a brat,” she hissed under her breath, leaning near one furred ear as she reached from the brush she’d left on the coffee table. Silver fur may have intentionally flickered against her face, but Julianna only smiled, winking at Holland before she faced forward and Dite began gathering her hair.

“Your daughter is beautiful, Holland,” she commented, as Aphrodite was less gentle with her hair as she had been with Rose’s. “How old is she again?”