alonimi
Luminalia [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Fantasy (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+--- Forum: Akvero (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+--- Thread: Luminalia [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=668)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - Tindome - 03-14-2016

Just her, then. No point sending her back to who'd sent her when there wasn't any such person. He might be able to make an example of her, but he had no idea how when she didn't have any cohorts. He could hardly string her up outside the manor.

Well. He could. He just didn't want to.

Best not to examine too closely this sudden well of mercy.

"Hm." Now that she had the ring on, there really wasn't much point keeping her stuck to the floor. He could track her anywhere, if he needed to. And staying on her level was getting hard on his knees. With a snap of his fingers the shadows became nothing but an absence of light, shapeless, the trap disabled. "If you insist." He stood, turning away from her to begin pacing the room as he considered the problem.

The problem being: he could not turn a thief loose from his home without consequences for the attempt. He had no interest in interacting with the legal systems of Akvero, even if only to turn her over to them. Tagging her as a thief when she did not seem to be with the guild would be, in his estimation, an excessive consequence. And while her trespass had resulted in a brief thrill of the hunt, as it wore off, he was reminded: he was very tired.

Probably wouldn't be able to talk her into putting on any more enchanted jewelry. Nothing to banish her from his home or hinder her ability to skulk. Quick solutions did not seem to be presenting themselves.

"You make me sound so interesting," he observed, amused. "Should I be flattered again?" But what an irritating reminder of the observation he was under by virtue of his title. "Clearly I ought to have spelled that ring to still your tongue when I've no need of it."

That was a bit poorly put.

His mask may have briefly gone the faintest shade toward pink. Good thing he wasn't still looking at her.

He stopped in his tracks, snapped his fingers, though this time it did nothing. "Ah! Come to think of it, I may have a use for you."

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - megs - 03-14-2016

The silence was probably longer than he noticed, as he tried to decide what to do with her. She knew he was trying to decide what to do with her, because that is what everyone did when they caught her. If they caught her.

He probably spent a lot of time in his own brain.

Usually people were a bit more excited about the prospect of catching her, because most owners of magical objects knew who she was. Her reputation usually preceded her. The baron didn't know who she was, why didn't he know who she was? Why did that annoy her.

She huffed. This would be the…third capture if she was remembering correctly, but it was only the first successful one. Usually she managed to talk her way or fight her way, or sneak her way out of situations that were going poorly for her. Talking was out of the option with the stupid charm she let him put on he. She glared down at the ring. Fighting just seemed…rude, because she was being kind of polite, and she'd left most of her weapons in the tree.

She snapped out of her planning at the snap of his fingers. So much snapping, what a strangely dominant way to control his abilities. She hummed in surprise when the shadows fell away, and then she smiled, shaking out her wrists. She lifted herself off the ground, pushing her arms above her head in a stretch as she watched him pace.

"You are interesting," say said, matter-of-factly, though she turned away from him just in case he turned around, but she didn’t know why. It could hardly be considered a compliment. She laced her fingers behind her back, rocking back and forth on her feet. "But that is just a fact. You're not to be flattered with those."

She tapped the toe of her boot, against the stone flooring, then turned in a swift motion to face him again, but he was still pacing, apparently very caught up on what to do with her. Her brows rose, she pursed her lips, her hands moved to station themselves on her hips.

"Oh, you've found some use for my tongue, then?"

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - Tindome - 03-15-2016

The Baron of Corvana's infamous absences from society events meant that he was rarely up-to-date with society gossip. Further, he did not often communicate with peers who might share his particular hobbies. They were not friends, but rivals instead, who might snatch from under him possible new additions to his collection. Or else they might steal his research, his ideas, publish them in his stead for some kind of glory.

He did not like to share. Selfish and secretive did not good company make.

"My mistake," he acquiesced. "I shall do my best not to take it as a compliment." So much impatient fidgeting from her, but he hardly had room to criticize, when he'd been circling her like a shark.

"Not as such, no," he said, and once again he had only himself to blame for that particular innuendo. "Though clearly I ought to find something." She really hadn't any right to be looking so imperious and indignant when she'd broken into his home.

"I've been working on something," he said, as if that was any explanation at all. "I need a test subject." Again that birdlike tilt of his head as he considered it, gaze raking over her, assessing. "You're not what I had in mind," he admitted, "but you have so helpfully volunteered your services, I could not possibly refuse." She could not see his frown as he straightened. "But not tonight. Tomorrow, I should think, or the day after. Shall I see if I can find a dungeon to keep you in until I have need of you?"

He was mostly joking.

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - megs - 03-16-2016

"You will know when I am complimenting you," she explained, as if it were at all true. They did not know one another well enough for any assumptions to be made on patterns of speech or turns of phrase. That aside, she should probably start acting like someone who was caught breaking and entering, and not like she was making a new friend.

Some would say that's Fisel's air of calm in stressful situations was stupidity. A disregard for her station, an overestimation of her skills. It's why she did not have a partner, she preferred to work alone, and in turn no one wanted to work with her. It was too risky, and there were too many factors she couldn't control.

She hummed, nonplussed, shrugging her shoulders before she dropped her arms to her sides once more. Her collected demeanor was beginning to fade, her control of the situation having been lost as soon as she'd been captured. "It won't be too difficult I am sure. My tongue has many talents."

Keeping the intrigue off of her face was somewhat difficult, though the vagueness of his ventures and the usage of 'test subject' did not instill her with confidence. She didn't know why she couldn't be what he had in mind, and wasn't sure if she should be offended.

Fisel bowed when he referred to her as a volunteer, head low and arms sweeping out to her sides. The gesture looked impressively sarcastic despite the accuracy of the motions. "I have been meaning to take a vacation," she mused, straightening her posture, both hands moved to push curling hair behind pointed ears. A habit she would never admit as nervous. Her stomach tightened in a sort of panic. Tomorrow, or the day after, an indefinite period of imprisonment before utilization for unspecified magical experiments.

Now, she was a bit concerned.

"Dungeons are better than tress," she surmised , instead of playing into his scare tactics. Forcing a wistful sigh, she smiled. "Oh, speaking of trees. All my stuff is in one." Turning at the waist, she pointed to the window, now closed, that she had wiggled in through. Not that she expected him to care, or to be concerned with retrieving it. She waved a hand idly, turning away from the window. "It will be fine."

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - Tindome - 03-17-2016

He paused as he found himself inadvertently considering her tongue once more. "Is that an offer?" he wondered. Not that he'd be taking her up on it, if it was. He just wanted to be clear on whether she was deliberately trying to win his favor with… favors.

If she wasn't, he was being incredibly rude with his assumptions. It wasn't her fault if it happened to be true. Perhaps she'd not have volunteered the information had she not been bound to honesty. But she did break into his house.

Her show of bravado was watched with some amusement, his pacing finally having stopped. How interesting, finding convenient truths to allow her to insinuate she was not frightened without outright lying to him. "I'm sure you've earned it, working hard as you've been." His own sarcasm was dry enough to almost be missed, as if she ought to be grateful that he was threatening both her freedom and her safety.

He didn't actually intend to hurt her at all, but reassuring her on that front felt contrary to his purposes.

His gaze followed the direction that she pointed, and his mask shaded toward green. "You've been living in a tree outside my window?" he asked. "Should I be charging you back rent? There should at least be some kind of price of admission for the show, I should think."

It shouldn't have been possible to actually see inside the window from that far away, but it was possible she owned a spyglass. He did not much care for the idea of someone watching him through his windows. Clearly he'd need to spell them. Turn them to mirrors, maybe, so that he could see outward without anyone seeing in. An irritating weakness in his otherwise impenetrable privacy defenses.

"I wouldn't want the squirrels getting their paws on any lockpicks, so I suppose we'll need to do something about that." He turned, clasping his hands behind his back. "Eventually." He began to walk toward the stairs, waving a hand to dim the lights in the room while brightening those in the direction they were walking. "Follow me," he ordered, not waiting to see if she obeyed. "Touch nothing, don't try to wander off."

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - megs - 05-02-2016

“No,” she replied, with a frown. She didn’t need a truth charm to admit it either. “While my mouth is typically good at getting me out of trouble, that is not one of the ways I employ.” A devious smile cracked across her features, though she didn’t know if he could see it. “You have to earn those benefits.” Why was she still talking? Flirting? She was just compelled to tell the truth; she didn’t have to tell everything damn thing that popped into her head.

Something about the mask, the looming. Mysterious and intriguing and a little bit tempting in its own way.

“I work very hard,” she said, fluffing her the short locks of her hair. She wasn’t looking at him, even though he had stopped pacing. Eyes skirted across the room once more, as if holding her attention was difficult. Even under the veiled threats of imprisonment and potential bodily harm.

She pulled her finger back, tapping it against her bottom lip as if she were seriously considering his comment. “You can try, but you’ll never get it. This one unsuccessful run will set me back for the month.” She tested the line of the containment spell with the toe of her boot, it didn’t give and she seemed to come in contact with a solid wall.

She snorted at the word ‘show,’ but didn’t comment on it. The implication that hanging out in the woods, watching absolutely nothing interesting happen for the past few days was at all entertaining.

Oh, she wished she could see his face. She’d bet a shiny gold coin that was livid to the idea of her spying on him. Which, naturally, anyone would be.

She thought of a particularly funny joke about teaching chipmunks to pick locks and was disappointed that she couldn’t tell it to him. When was this spell going to wear off? Pretty potent to still be effective this long.

“If you’re going to go in the woods, I’d watch out for direwolves,” she said, testing the limits of what constituted as the truth. A fair warning, she could get away with, and didn’t have to admit what she was actually implying. This time, when her toe tested the edges of her imprisonment, the invisible wall was gone. She stepped over it, quickly following behind him as to not get left behind in the darkened room.

“But everything looks so touchable,” she admitted, lacing her fingers behind her back.

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - Tindome - 06-28-2016

"I am a Baron," he reminded her. "I do not earn. I take. That is my birthright." It occurred to him that this statement could be taken the wrong way. So what if it was? She'd broken into his home. Scaring her was half the point. She'd no right to think poorly of him when she'd been the one to trespass.

"We'll see about that." He meant it as a threat, but again it could be taken as the wrong kind entirely. It was turning out very difficult to menace a woman platonically. These were the sorts of things they did not cover how to handle in popular literature. Perhaps he ought to fill the void. A Wizard's Practical Guide To Menacing Criminals Of The Female Variety Without Threatening What Little Virtue They Possess. A very limited reader base, that. Wouldn't have to worry about anyone else stealing his research on the subject, at least.

"My apologies," he said dryly, "for having caused you such difficulties. A free room is the least I can do, under the circumstances." Once again behaving as if he were doing her a favor. The fact that he wasn't turning her over to any authorities was favor of enough.

"I wouldn't bother testing my spells, if I were you," he warned. "Some of them bite." Technically true, though they were unlikely to do so without his intervention. Better for everyone if she behaved herself, anyway.

"Direwolves would do well to watch out for me," he said. "Particularly if they are so tame as to let you pass uneaten. You'd be a much easier meal than I."

Did that sound like an implication? He didn't think so. He frowned behind his mask as he lead her down the spiral staircase into the basement. "Everything?" he added absently, lights still going out behind them and coming to life in front. In all cases it was just enough light to walk without stumbling, dim and foreboding. He could have lit them brighter. He just didn't. At the bottom of the stairs he lead her down a hall, stopped in front of an unmarked door. He opened it into darkness, no windows and nothing lit.

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - megs - 06-28-2016

She did not necessarily need reminding; fully aware of his position since it was the reason that she had targeted him. Choosing not to respond, she frowned instead, didn’t like his choice of words. Wasn’t meant to. It was possible he was being problematic on purpose, and she kept her disappointment off her face, because she had started them down this awkward path, but her curled into fists at her sides.

“I got in here,” she returned, lifting a brow, and continuing to be unusually smug for someone in her position. “So, that must something for my work ethic.” She paused, looked around the room, pursing her lips as her strange eyes made a perfect semicircle. “My work un-ethic,” she corrected. As if it were a correction. She opened her mouth to say something, but it snapped shut.

Insulting his traps probably wasn’t the best idea. She hummed, it meant nothing, but she probably would not behave.

The wolves were supposed to be a threat. Why was he so hard to threaten? Was it the magic or the mask? The money or the estate? Or was he just really so fearless. Another strange innuendo, he could not possibly be doing it on purpose. Could not possibly be so clever.

“Direwolves are smarter than people seem to think,” she advised, backtracking to save her pet any harm. She followed behind him diligently, keeping her hands to herself as instructed. “It’s said they can understand all languages.”

Her steps slowed, before she stopped walking; cocking tilting her head, she considered the back of his. Her gaze scrutinizing, thoughtful. Everything. She’d already said it, and with the truth charm there was no taking it back. Approaching him once more, she looked past him into the room.

Or cell.

“Dark."

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - Tindome - 08-30-2016

"I should hope that you didn't work too hard," he said, "considering your eventual failure." Probably not necessary to rub it in too much. "Complete and humiliating as it was." Probably.

On the one hand, taunting always had the potential to backfire spectacularly. On the other: he enjoyed it.

"I'm sure that watching them listen is an impressive thing, though not the most useful to me. Regardless, I have found that most things understand fire, and so translations are unnecessary." Would he set fire to a wolf? Maybe not. That could be an interesting area of study. Though living specimens were not his specialty. This – her – was a rare exception.

Not that he was planning to study her.

He cocked his head to the side, a tilt to his mask as he watched her consider her new room. Everything. She hadn't denied it. Was it because she couldn't, or was it only that she wanted him to think that? A sideways attempt at flirtation, maybe, hoping to appeal to gentler tendencies. Surely if she truly found him attractive, she could have just flirted outright. He couldn't put it past her to be clever enough to use implication to sidestep his charm.

Magical charm. Not charm.

Even if he was very charming. When he wanted to be. His mask's gold glowed faintly, the darkness immediately around him growing deeper.

"Quite," he agreed dryly. "I imagine you'll find it very restful." He could have lit the lamps within, if he wanted, revealed a perfectly nice and harmless little room without chains or rats in sight. He'd wait until the door closed behind her for that, because… well. Because he thought that would be more dramatic, quite frankly.

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - megs - 09-04-2016

"I wouldn't call it a failure, yet, Baron," she replied, sounding more cryptic than smug. Continually testing the limits of the truth charm (more accurately to be considered a hex in her opinion). She hoped it would wear off soon, tiring of the game she'd made of finding clever ways to twist her words. The thief was still inside, there were still chances of escape, and chances of taking a prize with her. Fisel continued to see her current ordeal as opportunity, because anything less would be, well, depressing.

"Do not set them on fire," she demanded. Too quickly, and too adamantly. She curled her fingers into fists instead of slapping them over her mouth. A glance in her direction would display the mix of anger and distress that contorted her features. She regretted the outburst, though she could do nothing about it, now. It both betrayed her casual act and implied an attachment to the creatures in question. Which would do nothing but work against her, were he actually a cruel as his words.

If nothing else, she'd hoped the back had listened to her and returned home in her prolonged absence.

It seemed to get darker as she peered into the already dark room, that or his mask glowed brighter. Perhaps, both. She did not have time to consider which was the truth, stepping closer to him without realizing, as if the blackness were tangible. It wasn't until she bumped into his back that she was aware she'd been moving at all. A surprised squeak died in her throat as she took a step away from him. Taller, now that she was closer, and very solid and warm beneath the fall of dark robes.

"Sorry," she lilted, with a quick shrug, side-stepping him and moving towards the room as if she were nothing but smooth and casual and the incident had never happened. Fisel stepped just across the threshold, propping her hands up on her hips in a show of triumph. Swathed in darkness, her eyes gleamed, gold and reflective as the caught the glow of his mask. She usually had no trouble seeing in the dark, growing up in mountainous caverns and doing her work mostly at night had honed the sense, but there was something different about this darkness. Unnatural, even. Which is entirely what unnerved her so.

"I guess this is goodnight, Baron."

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - Tindome - 03-14-2017

Her burst of emotion gave him pause, though he couldn't pinpoint exactly why. A show of weakness, yes, but his instinct was to reassure her. For as much as he had been enjoying tormenting her, he had enjoyed it as a game, one that she was also playing. If she was a victim – that was something else entirely.

Torn between a desire to give no ground and no desire to make himself a monster in earnest, he chose his words carefully. "One generally does not allow harm to befall well-behaved pets," he observed.

The wolf. The wolf was the pet. Her pet. He assumed. Had deduced. He did not assume.

Presumably she got the gist regardless.

He was as surprised as she was when she walked into him, though his mask didn't show it. He almost reached out to steady her when she recoiled from him, a twitch of his shoulder. Then she moved around him, didn't touch him again. Light on her feet, light in general for having such sturdy–

Eyes.

"Goodnight, Fisel," he said. A final reminder that he had her name before he closed the door.

The lights activated a moment after the door latched; the door had disappeared into the wall, not even a knob from the inside, though from the hall it looked the same. Spheres of glowing crystal lit the room, resting on shelves and set into lamps. They'd dim and eventually darken at a touch. The bed was a modest little thing covered in cozy homespun blankets, and the attached water closet was… sparse.

It was less a dungeon cell, and more reminiscent of a very boring week spent in the guest room of a very old relative.

Whether Francesco, spoiled as he was, actually considered this room torturously uncomfortable was not clear.

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - megs - 04-09-2017

She swallowed hard when he said her name, defiant gaze falling away from him and sweeping towards the floor beneath her boots. Carefully chosen farewells had the desired effect, because the elf was very ware of what could be done with something as simple as a name. Her arms dropped to her sides, and she looked defeated as he closed the door one her.

Panic set in, for the moment that she was left in darkness. There was something ominous about the click of the door. Even more so that is disappeared. Her eyes adjusted quickly to the illumination and she crossed the room in two quick steps to press her hands against the cold, stone wall left behind. Fingertips dug into the grooves of stacked stones as she huffed in frustration. She kicked the wall once, but only succeeded in hurting her toes. The elf huffed again, and turned away from the wall, throwing her hands up in the air. The gesture was less satisfying when no one was there to witness it.

Fisel paced the confines of her prison for several minutes. Searching for flaws or weakness in the design that could be exploited in her favor. As far she could tell there wasn’t much magic too it. It was just a room. Impenetrable in its simplicity.

Stopping near a shelf, she tentatively poked one of the glowing orbs. It was warm to the touch but not hot, and dimmed for a moment as if offended that she had disturbed it. Fisel frowned at it.

Unsure of whether she should try to sleep to be prepared for whatever the Baron had in store for her, or stay up and try to escape before she found out, Fisel paced a short line in front of the bed as she mindlessly worked at the straps of her armor. Though the hardened leather was light and sparse, it still started to annoy her after prolonged wear.

Leaving the pieces on the floor with her boots, Fisel sat down on the edge of the bed. Though her armor did nothing to make her look particularly dangerous, she seemed softer somehow dressed down to a short tunic, and a cincher and wool stockings that climbed upwards towards her thighs. With a sigh she fell backwards to stare up at the ceiling. If nothing else, this would be better than sleeping in a tree.

Fisel yawned, eyes heavy, and she found herself wondering if the Baron would truly leave her wolves alone. “Stupid party,” she complained of the conversations she had eavesdropped on that had lead her here. “Stupid baron,” she muttered as if it were his fault she had gotten caught breaking into his private home. Stupid stupid stupid were her final thoughts of herself before drifting off to sleep.

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - Tindome - 04-14-2017

He did not give her enough time to sleep, or even have the grace to announce his entrance beforehand. Just opened the wall, and walked in like he owned the place.

Because he did.

He still should have been more considerate of the sleeping woman within, but there was no point fussing about manners, under the circumstances.

His mask was still on, black tights and a purple jacket and gold trim on all of his clothes, gold buckles on his boots and gold thread in his elaborately tied cravat. He hadn't wrapped himself in shadows this time, and he sparkled instead, glittering like a piece of the night sky cut into the shape of a man. "Up!" he declared, holding up one gloved hand, all of the crystals in the room blazing bright and humming at their resonant frequencies. "Up with you, now, there is work to be done – no point getting dressed, you won't be needing any of that."

The shadows of the mask hid the way his eyes lingered on the skin above her stockings and beneath her hem, how soft and welcoming she looked when she was wrapped in sleep.

No. That was not how he punished thieves. Not even the pretty ones that were soft and round in all the best places. He had a better use for her figure.

He hadn't slept well. He'd have slept even worse if he'd seen her without her armor. Better to get this over with, and get this little thief out of his house. Give her back to the wolves and other wild things, let him get some work done.

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - megs - 05-13-2017

Fisel startled awake. Immediately sitting upwards in a fit, like someone who had been caught sleeping when they shouldn’t have. Her sense came back quick enough to leave her wondering if she had actually slept at all. She blinked against the bright lights and pawed at her face like an annoyed cat. She looked the baron over as he barked orders. They hardly registered with her, something about not needing her armor. She was distracted by the all of the gold on him.

It was too much. Who was he trying to impress?

She whined and fell back against the bed with no concern for the fact that there was no room for her to be acting like an indignant child. She was now certain she had fallen asleep because her brain had tricked her into thinking this had all been a dream, but no. The horrible reality was that she was stuck with him and whatever he had planned for her.

Pushing herself up on her elbows, Fisel frowned at him, short and messy curls framed the down turned corners of her mouth. “And what exactly will we be doing?”

RE: Luminalia [Closed] - Tindome - 11-26-2018

Soft girl, soft bed, careless motion making her tunic ride dangerously high on her thighs. Pretty curls.

Problematic.

An unforeseen consequence of refusing to cavort with anyone who might try to trap him into marriage. How long had it been? Too long. Not her, definitely not—it could have been anyone stirring these things up. Better, really, that it was her bringing the issue to his attention. Not someone dangerous, someone who mattered. He'd need to go calling once she'd gone, find a safe outlet for this… something.

And, in the meantime: ignore it.

"You," he said, "are going to follow me. The faster we are done, the faster you may retrieve your things and go. Don't let your hands wander—or your feet, for that matter. I can make you wait for so long as it pleases me."

It did not please him, but the mask did not well lend itself to ever looking pleased.

He wasn't wearing a cape, but with the way he twirled on his heel, it was almost hard to tell. A phantom cape, made entirely out of flourish.

"Come along," he ordered, and some enchantment or another padded his boot heels and made his steps silent. He did not wait, or look back to check that she was following.