alonimi
@alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=73)
+--- Thread: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) (/showthread.php?tid=650)

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - Blade - 03-25-2017

@ambientmagic Honestly, what I've wanted to do it teach English classes at a university. But I'm worried it'll be difficult to find a job that way and pay off the loans I've incurred. My hubs is retiring from work in five years and I need something that both makes me happy and that will practically guarantee me work. (Good benefits also really help.) So after much deliberation, I've decided it's very likely I'll go to Georgia State University for a MA in English Education so I can teach high school and middle school. Then, maybe after ten years or less, after my loans are paid off, I'll go back for my doctorate in English and then try for teaching at a university. (When having a solid job isn't as demanding.)

The other option I've been looking into is a degree in library science, but I worry about finding work because I'll be unwilling to move to get a job.

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - ambientmagic - 03-26-2017

Library science is what I'm doing right now! If you live in an area with several colleges then library science is a somewhat safe bet because you can work in academic libraries too. Before you decide make sure that your state allows a Master's degree in English to be qualified for teaching high school--in my state you'd still need a bachelor's in education. Once you get your degree you can also look at being an adjunct professor for a university? My mom does adjunct grading and all she has is a Masters. It's all digital too.

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - Blade - 03-27-2017

I do, but the teaching degree is looking more viable. I think I'm probably going to try sub teaching to create job exp, help pay of a few loans until next year, and have something to put on my application into the program. I know it won't be the same as teaching full time, of course, but I figure that if I can handle subbing I can probably handle actual teaching full time.

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - Blade - 03-27-2017

Also! One more day of recovery! I'll start making posts tomorrow. ^_^

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - danixiewrites - 03-28-2017

GWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WORK....WHY YOU NO LET ME WRITE ON THE CLOCK

X_X

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - Blade - 03-28-2017

@danixiewrites Because dey sook.

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - ambientmagic - 04-01-2017

Yikes, I disappeared off the face of the earth a bit. @Blade, subbing is a really good way to get experience and also it doesn't pay terribly (at least not around here) so I'd recommend it!

Also @everyone, if I have an idea for an rp would I post it in the "Seeking" board?

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - SolitareLee - 04-01-2017

Yes! Post it in there with all the details you can think of, and interested parties can check it out. Worked for me! :D

I'm trying to get a proper post in there myself but I keep getting distracted from making profiles. >.>;

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - Tindome - 04-01-2017

@AgentBonkers ANOTHER FORMER GAIAN

WHOO

welcome~ :3

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - AgentBonkers - 04-02-2017

Indeed I am. Hello and thanks for the welcome. :0

Trying to get a feel for things in terms of order of operations - do people generally make character profiles and then find a roleplay for said characters, as opposed to finding a roleplay and then creating a character to suit?

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - Tindome - 04-02-2017

It can go in just about any direction! A lot of the time players will have a specific character they really want to play at that moment, so in that case it's usually easiest to post a profile for that character and then look for something that will suit their strengths (i.e. This Damsel Needs To Get Menaced, Halp Plz). This tends to be most popular, just because... sometimes you really want to play the giant space tentacle monster, and everything else is just details. Tongue

BUT if you see something that's already running and you want to see if you can get in on it, you can ask for opinions on whether other people think another character will fit, and if so what kind (i.e. This Party Has Too Many Damsels, Please Send Monsters).

OR another option is, to see if anyone is active in seeking, or already has profiles up for characters they're not playing but want to be, and see if you can make something new that will help them satisfy their hankering. I think @ambientmagic has a few characters looking for a good home/partner? But again, that all depends on if you're both looking for similar things in terms of dynamics/plots/etc.

we're basically all loosey-goosey here, the easiest thing is to just let us know what you've got a hankering for (if it's a specific char, or type of roleplay, or plot, or trope, or what) and then we can point you in the right direction. Meow

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - ambientmagic - 04-02-2017

Hi @AgentBonkers! I'm the next newest after you, and I do have a couplefew characters I'm not doing anything with yet. (and ones I haven't even done profiles for because lol academia is hell)

ALSO @everyone who would be interested in a noir Red Riding Hood type thing because that's the idea I'm kicking around. I'll try to put together a post for the seeking thread tonight or tomorrow

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - SolitareLee - 04-02-2017

Hmmm, I have a somewhat literal wolf that might work, depending on what you're looking for. He's a sweetie, though, so if you're looking for something dark, it might not work. I have been looking for someone for him to rescue, though. (I was planning to post a Seeking once I finished his friggin profile oh my god why am I like this)

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - AgentBonkers - 04-02-2017

Ok, that makes sense. I have some a few characters and character ideas floating around my head, but there's not really any one character I have a specific desire to play right off per se, so either joining something ongoing that might be in want of someone, or starting something new with someone with a specific scenario/character in mind might be easier/more efficient right now? Las Ballenas setting is a bit more in my comfort zone than Valesport but I realize there's less activity there. Muskaptilo is kind of intriguing too... (Lol, when creating rpgs worldbuilding was always my favorite aspect, and similarly i tend to be heavily inspired by setting a lot when creating characters for others' games).

But really, I'm quite flexible at this point, and wouldn't mind going off of a specific prompt to start off with, like if someone has a character/group from their character's backstory that they'd like to roleplay something out with, or if there's some kind of character in any of the settings that could show up to make things interesting, or a scenario seeking a specific trope, that kind of thing, I could take the idea and just roll with it to make something up that would work...

RE: @alonimi_ebooks (new chat thread) - ambientmagic - 04-02-2017

My concept is basically Red and the Huntsman as detectives chasing a criminal who robs old folks. Ey sets a dog on the residents while ey ransacks the place, and the media is dumb enough to start calling em "The Big Bad Wolf" because why on earth would they be sensible. So I have Scar (Red Riding Hood) and I'd want probably a Huntsman(or woman or person), a Big Bad Wolf (who may or may not be a werewolf or whatever, who knows, maybe ey's just a dick with a dog) and maybe a Grandma or whoever else? Idk how this plot thing works also I just woke up

Also also I just downloaded Discord, I saw someone mention there was a chat thread thing there too?