alonimi
Glass Houses [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Glass Houses [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=642)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - megs - 03-25-2018

Anita ignored her brother in favor of her breakfast that had finally arrived.She rolled her eyes to his complaints as she fed herself crepes and fruit and whipped cream. The crepes weren’t as light as sweet as her mom’s, but she didn’t mention it. She shrugged between sips of coffee that washed everything down when he acquired to her romantic life. “I’m not really interested,” she explained. He was attempting to rattle her just as she’d been doing him, but for some reason it wasn’t working that day. It was possible, she had exhausted herself between battling with him the night before and their father that very morning. “And I haven’t decided if I’m going to the Isles. They can want me to go all day long, but I’m an adult.”

She polished off her food rather quickly and asked for the check. She didn’t care or bother to check if Cain was finished. She paid with cash, leaving a very generous tip for the server. She picked up her back to and slipped out of the booth, leaving Cain to finish his pie or follow her or whatever. She didn’t seem to care, stepping outside of the diner to have a cigarette while standing near Cain’s car. Anita pulled out her phone and tapped across the screen one-handed. “I don’t want to go to your work to look at dogs,” she said, not looking at him from behind her sunglasses. “I don’t want to see that Indigo girl. Pick a shelter or something.”

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - saronym - 04-15-2018

Cain finished his pie before Anita finished her meal. He leaned back into the booth. His gaze casually altering between watching his sister eat and staring out the window. An ugly scoff erupted from his mouth as Anita described herself as an adult. He had more thoughts on the matter but he kept them to himself. If he said what he was thinking - that Anita loved the poor-broken-me act, that she wanted to resume her seat as dad’s favorite, that she was afraid to lose her throne as favorite to the undeniably adorable Nic, and thus would of course move to the Isles - well, if he said all that he might scare her off again.

And he decided it would be more fun to hang with Anita than chase her off with meanness just yet.

He let her sass him about Indigo again as he loaded into the car. “On about her again? One would think you want to fuck her. Go ahead. I’m not interested. She’s all yours, sis.” He cranked the engine and backed out. “Have at it.”

Cain took them to the shelter he sometimes did pro bono vet work for. The shelter cats and dogs with sad eyes and eager-to-love demeanor were a kind of strange social lubricant that eased the tension between brother and sister. After they had their fill of the animals, Cain took Anita to the historic district to walk around until she decided to take them to their next destination.

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - megs - 05-17-2018

Anita lips pinched together in a tight, angry line across her face. She let her purse clash against the floorboard as she shoved her sunglasses on to her face with one hand and slammed the creaky Mustang door closed too hard with the other. “I’ve had a lot of your hand-me-down toys in the past-” she grabbed the aux cord attached to the cassette tape converter so she didn’t have to listen to Cain’s music. “-But I’m really not interested in playing with this one.”

She started a sound that was loud and bass-heavy so she wouldn’t have to combat with him during the drive.

The younger sibling wasn’t particularly moved by any of the animals at the shelter. Sad dogs and cats didn’t tug at her heartstrings in the way the did Cain, who she figured felt like he empathized with them in some way. Or even her mother who had an affinity for all living things. She pretended to be enthused for Cain’s sake, however, pointing all the weepy-eyed pitbulls she could find for him to whine over. Anita liked plants. Plants were easy. Plants you couldn’t disappoint, and they’d typically survive if you forgot to water them for a few days.

Yes, Anita was a plant person. Not a something that relied on her person.

She was admittedly surprised when they didn’t leave the shelter that day with a sad dog for Cain to take home and pretend that it would make things better. She was also surprised when they pulled into one of the metered parking spaces downtown. Anita had expected Cain to forget that she had plans for them later, or completely neglect them all together.

“It’s here,” she explained, motioning to a trendy-looking cafe. The kind that offered fair-trade this and thats, and organic whatevers. The kind of artsy shit that Akiko liked. The hand-painted windows also advertised vegan and gluten-free baked goods, and a chalkboard sign out front claimed that open mic night was about to begin. She led Cain inside, selectively mishearing any complaints he would have had as she chose one of the few open tables left in one of the back corners.

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - saronym - 05-20-2018

It wasn’t that Cain didn’t want to bring another dog home. He really did. He just also didn’t. He felt too exhausted to care for another yet another thing when he was barely holding on to the things he already cared about.

Cain made a face at the cafe that Anita pointed out. “Really.” He said flatly. The place sort of made his stomach flutter painfully. It reminded him of some place that Akiko would have tried to drag him to. It was just like other places she had coaxed him into going to.

He grumbled as Anita picked her way to an open table. "Where did you even hear about this place?" At least it was in the back where it was a bit darker. Nobody would face that direction they would all face towards whatever cheesy open mic was about to go down.

“I can’t even smoke in here.” He complained as he pulled a chair out from the table making the legs drag more loudly on the floor than they needed to. He didn’t even sit just shoved it back under the table. “Here. You hold the table. I’m going to have a cigarette. Order some shots for us. They have liquor here right?”

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - megs - 06-27-2018

“It’s a fucking coffee shop, dumbass,” she called loudly to her brother’s retreating back. A few people turned to look at her, but she mostly paid them no mind, while glaring daggers from behind her sunglasses. Anita watched Cain walk all the way back to the front of the building and out the door, before pulling a small vape pen out of her pocket and taking a few drags off of it. When she’d filled the air around her with cherry scented smoke to her satisfaction, she shoved it down into her bag.

Anita had dragged Cain all the way downtown to some hipster coffee shop for an open mic night because she knew for a fact that Akiko was going to be here. Anita knew that this was where Akiko would come when Cain told her he was working late, and she also knew that Akiko would be playing a song tonight.

Cain didn’t come back, and Anita didn’t care, yet. He could mope outside, until it was Akiko’s turn to perform. Her tail swayed idly behind her head, and she half-heartedly turned down dudes who tried to sit with her while she kept her attention on her phone, the screen brightness turned all the way down because she wasn’t completely rude. She ordered them both a fancy latte, and then spiked the creamy coffee with whiskey from her flask when it arrived.

>>Get the fuck back inside

She finally text Cain when she saw Akiko appear behind the stage. The blonde wore a white sundress beneath a jean jacket that was too big for her. Something of Cain’s that she had snuck into her bag when she’d left. She wore of pair of faded black Converse and was turning her guitar, completely oblivious to the Hart siblings that had come to see her.

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - saronym - 07-01-2018

His ears were pressed flat to his head as Cain retreated from the cafe they had just entered. He could feel his sister’s eyes between his shoulder blades and it made his tail feel static-y. Like the hairs wanted to stand up. He didn’t want to be there. It wasn’t dark enough and there was nobody there he wanted to see. He stood around the corner, leaning up against the building, hiding from his sister and everybody else while he smoked. Until he got his summoning text. Apparently his sister didn’t take kindly to being abandoned.

Cain made his way back inside. He glanced at the stage as he sidled past the tables that seemed crammed to close together. He froze mid-way to the table Anita occupied and stared openly at the girl on stage. Cain’s head swiveled to Anita and then back to his girlfriend. He felt his stomach do a nervous flop and he quickly finished his route to the table, kind of ducking as if he wanted to avoid being seen by her.

“What is my girlfriend doing up there?” He demanded of Anita in a low voice as he joined her at their dark corner table. He turned in his seat to better see her on stage and recognized the slightly oversized jacket. It was his. That made him feel worse but was also somehow a comfort measure. She was wearing his jacket. Did that mean she was still his?

“That’s my jacket.”

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - megs - 07-04-2018

Anita rolled her eyes over to Cain as he crashed into his chair like he was hiding from something. Or someone. Dual-colored eyes then rolled nearly to the back of her head when he opened his mouth. "Performing, I assume," she said, over a mouthful of banana nut muffin she had ordered during his absence.

She was right of course, Akiko was taking the stage, smiling sheepishly as she approached the microphone in the middle of it.

"Mom bought you that jacket two years ago, and I have never seen you wear it," his sister said while taking a sip of the spiked coffee.

Akiko was introducing herself to the crowd, her voice wavered with nerves, and she waved to someone in the middle row. There was a scattering of playful whooping that seemed to imply she had played at the coffee house before, but it still made her face turn a shade of pink. "This is uh...a song I wrote recently," she explained, fingers gentle plucking the strings of her guitar with idle attention. "Hopefully, it doesn't suck." With a nervous laugh, she pulled back from the microphone and turned her back to the crowd, gathering her nerves as she began to play the opening melody. Her eyes were downcast when she turned back around, not quite watching her hands, but not ready to look back out to the audience either. If the slow progression of chords didn't set the melancholy tone of the song, the lyrics certainly did, Akiko began to sing, "From this view, I see colors, the blacks and the blues. Here comes another night..."

She looked up, finally, looking out into darkened faces that she couldn't make out from where she stood. There was no way she could have made it through the song had she known Cain and Anita were in the crowd. It didn't occur to her that there was a reason Anita had been bugging her all day about her plans. With the oncoming chorus, the guitar fell away and she sang "do you miss me at all? Do you wonder what I'm up to, without you" The guitar picked up tune again. "Do you miss me at all? Do you wanna leave a message on my phone saying I'm coming home?"

Anita watched Cain as Akiko played a sad song that was very obviously about him to judge his reaction. Coffee and half a muffin were abandoned on the table. Tail swaying in time to the music. Cain was doing a good job of suffering all on his own, but Anita couldn't help but really drive the error of his ways home as often as possible.

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - saronym - 07-12-2018

Cain’s ears had fallen off the side of his head and lay flat against a healthy mop of blonde curls. His ears popped up again and rotated towards the sounds of hollering in support of Akiko. A surge of jealousy made him risk exposure. He leaned to the side and craned his neck some to get a better look at the patrons who cheered for her. He frowned in the general direction of the hollers but got no useful intel other than the back of some heads.

He sank back into his chair and pulled the coffee that Anita had ordered closer to him. He cupped the drink protectively in front of him and got a whiff of what was most certainly alcohol in the drink. He glanced questioningly at Anita before he sipped experimentally at the drink.

His ears fell against his hair again and his tail curled around his leg as he listened to Akiko’s song. It wouldn’t be a stretch to assume that he and their relationship troubles were the inspiration for the lyrics. He felt sick with guilt but punished his stomach more with spiked coffee while he watched the performance that was shredding his heart.

It felt suddenly very hot and the air felt very close. Cain didn't dare get up and go for air during her performance. He didn't want to miss the song nor would he risk her seeing him flee from the establishment.

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - megs - 07-21-2018

Akiko's painful song, finally drew to a close. She didn't know how she was going to feel after putting something so personal out into the world, but she was surprised to find that she felt better. Only marginally, but it was like one of the weights had been lifted off her chest, and she could breathe a little easier.

She smiled, embarrassed, and waved as she backed off the stage to the sound of the polite applause. Someone jokingly chanted for an encore, gaining a few scattered chuckles.

As the next participant took the stage, Akiko packed her guitar away, carefully, in its case, and gathered up things that she wouldn't need for the rest of the night. A quick trip to her care to deposit them within it, before she walked back inside to watch the rest of the show. Pushing denim sleeves too big for her back towards her elbows, Akiko weaved through the crowd. She kept her head down, as if she hadn't just performed for the venue on a stage, and she were trying to hide from someone.

Anita continued to silently watch Cain, who was watching Akiko with a cat's focus as she approached the counter to order. She watched the way his ears fell, and the way he hovered on the edge of his seat as if he would go talk to her. She also noticed the ridge of fur that stood up on his tail, as the both witnessed someone stand up and break away from the crowd to talk to Akiko as she waited for her order.

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - saronym - 07-24-2018

Cain did ultimately spring up from his chair without another word or glance to his sister. He was going to get to the bottom of whoever was trying to chat up his girlfriend. He was going to make sure Akiko knew he was here. That was the basics of the plan as he weaved his way through the tables and other patrons of the cafe as people milled about. He was just going to make his masculine presence known to whoever this other person was and to his own girlfriend.

There was a small crowd of people near the counter. No doubt a mixture between people ordering and people waiting for their orders to be filled.

“Akiko.” Cain said her name when he was close enough behind her so that he thought she might be able to hear him.

There was this other guy kind of between Cain and Akiko, beginning a conversation with her. The other guy turned and glanced at Cain when he called for Akiko. Cain vaguely recognized the guy. Where had he seen him? Her instagram? Facebook? The school?

He was handsome, all muscles, with a nice smile. It was those facts and the dismissing kind of glance that he gave Cain that pissed off the cat. Cain’s tail puffed larger and flicked back and forth in agitation. It brushed into someone else’s leg. He blocked that horrifying thought out of his mind for the moment so he could focus on challenging the dude hovering too close to Akiko.

“Hey you wanna back the fuck off there bud?” Cain asked moving until he standing entirely too close to the other guy. “I’m trying to talk to my girlfriend.”

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - megs - 07-27-2018

Akiko heard her name, looking up and behind the person she was speaking to and spotting Cain. She sort of paled at the sight of him. She was surprised to see him, she wasn't sure if she wanted to see him. Had he been there the whole time? Had he seen her play? A dozen questions that wouldn't be answered sort of flooded her brain, but were immediately pushed to the side when Cain spoke again. "Cain," she snapped, surprising both of the men standing in front of her. Now, that she had both of their attentions, she shied away from it. Her eyes skirted between them and she nervously pushed hair behind her ear. "You're being rude," she scolded. "You remember Aric? I work with him."

Watching the two taller men sort of square off with each other was making her uncomfortable. She knew Cain was feeling threatened by the other man post-break, but she didn't exactly want to witness a pissing contest either. Especially since she wasn't going to do anything to reassure him about his position in her life, because that would defeat the purpose on leaving him in the first place.

Frowning at Cain, she turned back to Aric, continuing the conversation that Cain had interrupted.

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - saronym - 08-09-2018

Cain’s mouth was open to argue back his position, but with Akiko’s sharp words his mouth snapped shut. His teeth clacked together. His ears fell against his curls. “Sorry,” he mumbled finally to the both of them. He wasn’t sure anyone heard. “I was - just ah - I didn’t recognize you.” He said more specifically to Aric. Cain met the other man’s eyes.

Aric was relaxed and displayed an easy smile. He easily picked up on the tension between the two although he didn’t know so much what it was about. Trouble in paradise or something like it. Even so, he wasn’t so easily threatened. “No worries, man. Good to see you.” He turned back to Akiko to finish what he had been saying before and let the obviously jealous boyfriend fade into the background.

Cain hesitated nearby to the pair. He spared a glance over to the table where he had sat with Anita, trying to make mayday eyes at her. He didn’t know what to do. Wait his turn? Retreat? His approach had been a total fucking disaster.

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - megs - 03-09-2019

Akiko had to fight to keep her gaze from flickering to Cain. She knew she had hurt him with her scolding. She had never spoken to him like that before. Golden ears pressed against golden curls made her heart hurt. Cain was just standing there, Akiko wondered if he didn't know what to do. She felt like she didn't know what to do either. Feeling like she didn't have a choice she lead the conversation with Aric to a close. Said goodbye to him, and they joked about seeing each other at the high school.

Anita was very aware that her brother needed saving, but had yet to decide to help him. This could be a learning opportunity for him. He needed to grow up. Not that she had much room to talk about acting like an adult, but that didn't stop her. She gazed back at him over the crowd, as she very deliberately leaned back in her chair, and propped her feet up on the one he had abandoned.

Aric departed and Akiko finally looked back to Cain. She didn't say anything for a few passing moments. The dramatic effect felt lost in the overhead din of the small cafe, packed with people hanging out for the free show. "What are you doing here?" She asked, finally. She crossed her arms over her chest. She looked smaller than usual in his too big denim jacket. Akiko frowned. Something suddenly occurred to her. Her features darkened into an entirely new expression for her. Hurt and angry and jealous. Furrowed brow and tight lips.

"Did you bring Indigo with you?"

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - saronym - 03-10-2019

Cain's ears popped up for a brief hopeful second when Akiko addressed him again. They smashed back down against his head and pointed towards the back of the room. His tail made and angry twitch back and forth behind him. The close quarters brought it into contact with someone's leg. Cain ignored it and forced his tail upwards towards his spine.

“No.” He responded harshly. Too defensively. “I brought my little sister with me.” He gestured behind him at Anita who had perched herself into an annoyingly comfortable posture. She looked as if she were enjoying the show. She might as well have been that Michael Jackson popcorn GIF. Damn near gleeful.

Cain closed his eyes for a half-second trying to compose himself. “I came to see you.” He admitted though that wasn't the truth. Anita had tricked him. “I'm glad I did. Your song was -” his gaze skirted over the jacket she wore and he felt a surge of worry that he would lose her. She seemed huddled into that jacket like it would protect her. Maybe it gave her a sense of security that he hadn’t given her in a long time. “-it was good.”

He thought about the way she looked when she saw him over Aric's shoulder. Like she'd seen a ghost. “Are you so done with me that it comes as a complete shock to even see me? I guess you didn't expect me to catch you with Aric? Is that it?"

RE: Glass Houses [Closed] - megs - 03-15-2019

Akiko was still frowning at him. She didn't want to argue with him in the middle of a coffee shop, but it seemed like that was what was going to happen. How cliche. At what point did her life turn into a weeknight drama. She thought about the harsh and jealous reaction that Cain had towards Aric, but she refused to let it sway her feelings in the moment.

She glanced away from Cain, and searched the crowd when he mentioned Anita. She was easy enough to find, even in a packed room. Something about her drew everyone's eyes. Even without her family's tell-tale ears. "Anita brought you," she clarified, looking back to him. Her only reaction to his compliment was to turn bright red.

Did he have to look so pathetic? Standing there with his ears down. Trying to get her to come back without doing anything at all. "I don't care about Aric," she snapped, glaring hotly at him. "I'm surprised to see you, because you've never been here. You only came because of Anita. You're always too busy working doubles and other bullsh-"

Akiko caught herself, when she felt her voice pitching higher. Her job as a teacher made her an expert at avoiding expletives, so she knew she was getting vexed if they slipped out. "You lied to me," she reminded him. As if she felt like she had to justify her decision. "You were spending time with someone else behind my back. That's practically cheating" Akiko wrapped herself impossibly tighter in Cain's jacket.

"I don't know if I'm ready to see you right, now," she admitted. Her gaze finally swept away from him. "You really hurt me."