alonimi
Ballroom Blitz [Open] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Ballroom Blitz [Open] (/showthread.php?tid=613)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - Tindome - 06-29-2015

She didn't seem much interested in his offer to teach her to dance. Didn't seem the shy type, in a dress like that -- but then again, they didn't get to pick their outfits. And maybe clothes didn't have much to do with shy, where she was from. The people of his own clan and his own reservation certainly didn't care much about bare skin; it only mattered with outsiders. Mostly men, for that matter. Women from outside Dinétah did not have that same ability to turn the slightest bit of skin into something salacious. It probably did not say good things about him that he preferred desert women for that very reason.

Niyol didn't bother pretending not to grin. Very literal, wherever she was from, regardless of their view on bare skin. "I would never," he said, feigning offense. "I am a very serious man." This would doubtless be in question even if he weren't wearing a coyote mask. "I'm especially serious where women I find attractive are concerned."

"Hot," he said with a shrug. "Boring. Lotta sheep and not a lot of pretty girls." Not the kinds of girls he found pretty, anyway. He had to go traveling for that. His description spoke less of the place itself, and more of his particular attitude. Many very much enjoyed living in the place he called home, and many more would be terribly envious of him and just how good he had it. Spoiled enough to be bored.

His eyebrows arched upward as she offered her hand, having apparently taken her time in deliberating over it. He accepted, taking her hand in one of his and putting the other at her hip. It was supposed to be loose on her waist, but it wasn't as if she knew that. "Just watch my feet," he said, leaving enough room between them for her to do so, "and do everything I do. Except backward, and sideways. Feet are the only thing that really matter; the rest of you just sort of is."

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - Angel Kimmi - 07-02-2015

Likèreal barely noticed when the faceless server disappeared just as silently as they had approached him originally. He decided quite quickly that it didn't really matter how they had acquired them - after all this place didn't make that much logical sense in the first place. No, the important thing was that they had them and now he had them which meant that he could enjoy them to his hearts delight without anyone telling him no.

It was beautiful, the rainbow of colours that reflected off the crystal which was mimicked in the choice of attire for those on the dance floor. Still he needed to get past the mass of individuals that had paired off to careen around the dance floor. Honeyed eyes still focused on the large tree that took up the middle. It seemed the best vantage point to him and the place he would least likely be bothered which sounded like the best idea in his current situation, surrounded by a mass of auras that were unfamiliar and strange.

He managed to thread his way through the individuals without knocking anyone over, with a few murmured apologies as he went before finally arriving at the base of the tree. Removing his mask, finally deciding that he didn't care about the purpose for the object as he hung it almost like an ornament from a branch on the tree. He then cocked his head to the side as he looked upwards, still holding his food and drink as he contemplated the easiest way to climb the branches to a comfortable spot.

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - megs - 07-05-2015

He had underestimated her claims at being weird. Continuing to eat while she held his tie, close enough that her mask brushed his chin when she moved would have been awkward. In response, he remained still and allowed her to cling to him, because at least he had experience with emotional women. Grayson cleared his throat, lifting his gaze from the top of her head to the door.

He suddenly found himself staring down into dark, endless eyes. There was no light in them. No glinting pinpoints of life. He had seen a gaze like hers before, but only in those who had been hurt in the most devastating of ways. An inexplicable need to put a comforting arm around her arose, but he pushed it down and ignored it. Better not, since he had no idea how she would react. 

"Yeah, fucked," he agreed, keeping his sights steady on her. As she pulled away he leaned forward and settled his elbows on his knees. He picked up his tie and examined the decorative tie clip, as she explained the purpose. She seemed to know a lot about what was happening - curious and observant. He had done less snooping than he should have. More pouting child, than potential detective.

"Where did you come from?" he asked suddenly, dropping the tie. Where ever it was, she clearly did not want to go back. He hoped it was a mild question, better than outright asking who or what had hurt her. He slowly reached out to take one of her hands, when she stopped toying with her necklace. He was obvious with his movements because he didn't want to upset her more than she already was.

"Seven days," he began, hoping that his tone would cause her to look at him again. "Surely, I can tolerate magic for seven days. I can stay. If you want. So, if things get too weird, or too overwhelming. At least. I'll be here? And maybe that will help." He offered, because she seemed like she needed it. Something to cling to, something that made sense in this strange place. Granted, they didn't know each other, but he wasn't quite and stranger and that was better than no one at all.

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - Tindome - 07-05-2015

She considered the question. "You sound twenty-first century American," she said instead of answering. "Mid-Atlantic, maybe. Your vowels." She ate a french fry contemplatively. Everything that happened here would be gone in a week. No one would remember anything, not even her. For once, there was not even the faintest incentive to lie. "I used to be from Las Ballenas. But, I don't know. Maybe you're from an Earth where California fell into the ocean. I went… a lot of places, after that. Now I'm a magical space princess." She didn't care if he believed her. She wouldn't try and prove it. It was a strange thing to say out loud, to acknowledge as being a thing that had happened. "It blows," she added, in case that was in question.

Nadine watched as his hand slowly moved towards hers. Part of her appreciated it. Another part of her hated that part. She was not some weak and delicate thing. She hadn't asked for that kindness. She resented it, as if it was presumptuous of him to think she wanted contact when she did, to think that she might flinch when she would. She disliked the transparency. Still, she let him touch her. She liked the anchor. The thought, however baseless, that there was safety in numbers.

As he spoke her mouth hinted at a faint curve, but nothing more. Gently, she reached up to rest a hand on his cheek. "You're too nice," she sighed, stroking a thumb along his skin. "I hope you never learn better." Her hand fell, winding a few curls around her fingers. She liked not having to keep her hair up, she liked not having anyone stare at her hair like it meant something. "I think I'm going to try to use you," she said, plain as anything. "It probably won't work. But I don't think it will hurt. If that helps."

She looked down at the food still sitting between them. "You can finish that burger," she added. "I'm pretty much done."

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - megs - 07-08-2015

"That's really impressive," he mumbled, slowly. She was onthe mark about everything, and that was nothing to scoff at. Smart and pretty, lucky him. Not that it mattered with how skittish she was. "California still exists," he explained with a shrug. He assumed it still existed and had not disappeared in his absence. He'd never been, so he didn't really harbor an affection for the place. "I'm from a city named Valesport, it’s on the opposite coast. It's miserable there, you'd probably hate it."

She looked like the type who needed sunshine and warmth. Daylight to revel in, and he didn't just think that because she claimed to hail from California. The cold, drizzly streets that he had grown accustomed to in his lifetime, didn't feel like they would do her any good.

"I'm not that nice," he countered, even though it was a strange thing to protest. He did a remarkably good job on not leaning into her touch, because he wasn't a cat, and he barely knew her. "I make exceptions for people who hate magic."

He had been smirking, but it diminished when she started talking again. Brows climbed his forehead as he started down at her from behind the mask. All in all, he could appreciate her honesty at the very least. Knowing you were going to be used took some of this sting out of it.

"Oh. Uhm. Okay. Are you going to let me in on this plan? Or am I just supposed to go with it?" He released her hand so he could lean on his elbows again, shaking his head. He would have felt super weird eating the rest of her food, when she was about to reveal some master plan to him.

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - Tindome - 07-09-2015

"Not really," she demurred, and he did not know her to know that she did not usually bother with modesty. "I used to travel a lot. Lots of practice. I was just guessing that you were from the same time as I was. Slang, and all." She didn't know why she was explaining herself. She usually only did that when pressed. Offering information unbidden was… she didn't know what.

A transparent shell around her insides, instead of a mask to hide a hollow space. She could say whatever she wanted, after all, and he would never remember. Neither would she. Why wouldn't she tell the truth?

"I've heard of Valesport," she said, and she picked her soda back up to take a sip. "I wasn't supposed to go there. Too many creepy crawlies, woo woo hoodoo bullshit. I always thought I might go anyway. After New York. I liked New York." She'd traveled a lot, with Jeff, but he had his ways. Didn't much care for cities, too many people and not enough open road. She hadn't minded it as much as she'd complained, at the time. Most of her time spent wandering through the midwest, interesting people and nowhere towns. She couldn't dwell on it, or else she might miss it. Nostalgia could come later, when it stopped hurting.

"Maybe," she said, "but that's still too nice." She patted his knee, then picked up the basket of food in her empty hand to consider it. "Are you sure?" she pressed. "I don't think they have In-n-Out in Valesport. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity." Not that he'd be able to appreciate it for long, but so it went. She'd always had the eating habits of a greedy bird. "It isn't much of a plan. If we leave at the same time, maybe we can go to the same place. Probably not, because magic is dumb. But it's worth a shot. Even if your place is miserable."

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - megs - 07-16-2015

«I prefer to be overwhelmed,» she replied. Sounding every bit as challenging as she meant to be. She refused to play as if she was some unsuspecting debutante, who had no ideas as to what she could be getting herself into. She found that she did not prefer the men, who would prefer to have her that way. «You'll find I am a very good student, and I will not have you going easy on me.»

He was closer now. So close, that his breath was hot on her lips and she wondered if she were bold enough to kiss him. What would he do if she did? She doubted he was hardly the sort to be surprised by ladies kissing him, when he provoked them so. It was tempting, hidden behind the fall of his hair, not that anyone would have bothered to glance at them a second time, regardless.

«I would be,» she agreed, shamelessly. Lovely in many ways, and insofar he could have her in them all if he wished. She was grateful that she was not prone to blushing, because it was impossible to deny that he had a way with words, that she did not often encounter. Most of her previous companions would have given up on the game, long before it reached such a peak.

«It is a shame that you would not be able to hear.» It did not quite sound like a complaint, as she breathed a short sigh. She cast her eyes downward, briefly, before the fluttered back to meet his. She used the hand he did not hold to trace a finger along his jaw. «But I do imagine you'd look very pretty between them.»

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - megs - 07-22-2015

He cocked his head, but didn't state out loud that he didn't believe her. Not necessarily doubting that she didn't travel, just judging on the half-hearted way she went about explaining herself that there was more to it than she was letting on.

He wasn't typically this decent at conversation. Perhaps he was overcompensating for the atmosphere. Or swept up in the fact that after a week he would probably never see this girl again. He wondered what she looked like behind the mask, and he would have prompted her removing it by taking off his own. Except he couldn't see without it, and there was always the potential that her comfort was sparked by anonymity.

"Too many creepy crawlies," he repeated, slowly. "In Valesport?" His surprise wasn't brought on by the fact that he thought that Valesport was without hoodoo, just that someone out there thought there was more in his city than anywhere else. "I've never been to New York," he mused, sounding somewhat disappointed. He didn't elaborate that he had never been anywhere. All of his life had been spent in the same cold, dreary town which had done little to shape a warm personality in him.

"I wouldn't recommend Valesport, anyway," he wrinkled his nose, forgetting that it probably couldn't be seen behind the mask. "Too boring. I think you would hate it."

"I dunno," he drew out the vowels. "Seems to me like a little bit of nice is just what you need. When it comes back to bite me in the ass. Which I have a feeling it will, then I will regret it." He let his gaze drift between her face and the burger she was offering as if considering his options. With a shrug, he grabbed the burger from the basket, because she was right; they didn't have an In-n-Out or whatever it was in Valesport. He took a bite and instantly regretted it. "I'm really glad I'm not going to remember this," he explained, after he swallowed. "Because this is really good."

He continued eating as he listened to her plan, nodding thoughtfully along with key points. It probably wasn't going to work, she was right about that. There was too much magic lingering in this place, he could feel it on his skin. He would have noticed it even without the amulet that thrummed against his chest. Magic was hard to deceive. "Alright, I'm in. It's not a terrible plan, and I don't think I am risking grievous bodily injury. So, let's give it a go I guess."

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - Tindome - 08-01-2015

«On you, I think I will be anything but easy,» he assured her. «I will try not to be too hard, but I am told I can be merciless.» He grinned again, their mouths almost but not quite meeting, closeness creating the illusion of privacy amidst the din. «Or maybe hard and merciless is just what you are wanting?»

As she stroked his skin he turned the hand that he held, bringing to his mouth so that he could kiss the backs of her fingers. «Is that an invitation, Kitten?» he asked against her skin, kisses travelling higher, turning her hand again to kiss her wrist. «I do not know the etiquette here, but it is a rule that I do not invite myself.»

Still his mouth did not venture far from propriety, did not offer her a kiss despite knowing that she would be pleased to have it. The limits to what he considered an invitation were arbitrary, set as with most things wherever he thought he could get away with it. It was not mere banter to say he wanted to hear her beg. It was his favorite pastime to coax fine ladies into requesting their own debasement. Especially if he thought they might regret it.

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - Tindome - 08-01-2015

"It's what I've heard," she said, and she wondered if maybe he didn't know. There was certainly no shortage of people blissfully oblivious to the things that went bump in the night. People outside the valley unaware of the idiosyncrasies of Las Ballenas, people in cities who never thought to believe the rumors. He seemed smarter than that, but she really didn't know. "All settled in, built into the foundations of the place. Too many to fuck with if you're small-time." She shrugged. "I never minded monsters so much," she said, "as long as they aren't mean. It's the pretty ones that fuck you."

"Everywhere seems boring to the people who live there," she said. "Except New York. You should go."

A little bit of nice. She didn't know why that particular bit of phrasing got to her, that he wanted to be nice to her. That it was so very obvious. She went a little still and bit down on her tongue, and was very careful about breathing like a normal person. She was fine. Everything was fine. When he took the burger she drank more soda, a distraction and a way to keep her throat from closing up. "I'm glad you like it," she said blandly when she felt it was safe.

"The only problem is that it means I need to know where you are in a week." She fidgeted again with the pendant on her necklace, rolling the little heart between her fingers. "The doors go wherever they feel like. So do the rooms. I wouldn't have any way to find you." She looked up at him again, but not for long, eyes drifting back to the middle distance. "We'd have to stay together," she clarified. "It'll sorta put a damper on your plans, if you were hoping to get laid."

It was a no-consequences party, after all. What else had he been planning to do?

"Unless you can find someone who doesn't mind, I guess. I'd make it up to you, but I don't think I want to have sex right now." She didn't frown, but her brow furrowed just the slightest bit, the barest narrowing of her eyes. "How old are you?" He seemed very young, but she couldn't actually tell anymore.

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - Blade - 08-09-2015

Calandra doubted very much that he was serious, but she didn’t argue—even in jest. Some part of her wanted to retain the bubble of comfortable playfulness that encased them both. It felt a little like a dream; it was something she would wake up from eventually she was sure. Some part of her didn’t like that, the knowing that all of this would be gone eventually. It created a pang of sadness that she hid well with a sweet smile.

“It is hot back home sometimes,” she said in response to his remark on the climate in his Arizona. “Especially in the summer if we have not traveled north quickly enough. “ She was still smiling when he took her hand, nervous and curious light in her cold blues. Her other hand went to his shoulder, pressing gently and gripping well enough to hold tight if she did indeed lose her footing. She knew enough from watching to know to do that at least.

The hand on her hip—his—was warm. It spread a heat along her side that she couldn’t help but enjoy and secretly encourage. Her gaze shifted down as her tentative steps followed his, and her grip tightened slightly on his shoulder and hand as the toe of her sandal grazed his shoe. “Are you sure you want to do this?” she asked next. “I am not cer—.” And then she did slip in an attempt not to step on his foot fully, half falling into his arms as her cheek grazed his own.

After a brief pause she laughed, seemingly unbothered by their closeness—her nearly bare chest brushing his clothed one. Was it true that people thought of her as the embodiment of grace? Perhaps she’d just learned to hide it over the years. Perhaps. “I am not the best student,” she said, partially in jest and partially in truth. “You may have a time of it, and, I would not blame you for giving up before we have begun,” she said close to his ear due more in part to their position than anything else.

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - Angel Kimmi - 08-12-2015

Likèreal stared upwards quietly with a certain degree of concentration mixed with admiration. It really was tall. So, the question - how to get up into the tree without ruining the white suit that he was currently wearing. Not that anyone would probably notice if he did ruin it, not while he was cosseted away amongst the branches. The problem with that theory was that he didn't know how long he was going to be stuck here in this swirling mirage of colours and dancing. And he didn't relish the idea of being stuck in soiled clothing. Which was one of many reasons that flying was out of the question, which left him with climbing or trying to jump.

"Oh well, climbing it is..." he stated to himself as he gazed upwards, sliding the glass onto the plate and curling a finger around the stem of the glass. Supporting it the best he can with one hand as he jumped upwards, landing on the first branch on his feet without any trouble, and without spilling his drink. Continuing onwards gracefully with smooth movements, continuing to make his way higher through the foliage.

Pausing less than a third up the tree he settled in with his food and drink, back against the trunk. Sipping his wine as he enjoyed the way the music drifted up towards him with the faint lilt of laughter.

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - Tindome - 09-07-2015

"You're the traveling kind?" he asked, still trying to assemble pieces that didn't quite fit despite knowing the final picture might be unrecognizable to him. Still, she made more sense if he put her in a familiar context, and traveling caravans were the most familiar thing he'd managed to connect her to. There were a few traders and nomads who learned the tongues of people, in whatever way they did, from exiles and rejects. Despite what similarities they seemed to have found between their people, he simply could not wrap his mind around the thought of her being akin to himself or anyone else he knew.

These dances involved a lot more touching than the ones he did at home – not that he was complaining. The touch brought with it a better appreciation of the translucency of her dress, barely a dress at all. More bare even than most of the whores of his acquaintance, and he was acquainted with quite a few.

He caught her when she fell, though it would be hard not to when she fell against him. Her breasts against his chest did not dissuade him at all. If she continued being so clumsy, all the better for him. "It might be safer for my shoes," he said instead, as if he were really so concerned for the state of his footwear. "But I'm real stubborn, so it'll take a bit more than that to scare me off."

Niyol continued his attempts to slowly guide her, though he made no move to keep her at a safe distance. Why would he, when the dance itself was little more than an excuse to touch her? "Course, if you hurt me real bad, you might have to kiss it better."

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - megs - 09-16-2015

"Yeah, you're not wrong. I just meant, like, I'd never really thought of Valesport being anymore creepy or crawly than anywhere else. I grew up there, and the city is hundreds of years old so I guess I never put much thought in to it." He paused briefly, in thought, grey eyes sweeping across the solarium. He snorted, a derisory sort of noise in response to her statement. She certainly wasn't wrong. It was the pretty ones that would get you, but that didn't necessarily pertain to just monsters. "I uh, study that stuff. Preternatural investigation. Makes it a bit harder to get fucked if you know what to look for. Hopefully."

"Yeah, I don't know if New York is the place for me," he answered, dismissively. He didn't know why, but the statement felt accurate enough. Grayson was small time, small town, comparatively. Twenty plus years in the same place made it difficult to imagine going anywhere else.

For the briefest of moments, she looked like he had upset her, and he was left to wonder what it was he had said. He went back over his last few statements in his head, and couldn’t find anything of note. He kept eating, because at the moment talking wasn't the best idea for him apparently.

"It’s fine," he replied quickly when she explained that she wasn't interested in sex. It was mostly the casual way she was talking about it, and how talking about it would put the idea of having sex with her in his head, which was something he wanted to avoid. Especially if she wasn't interested. "I'm not here for that, so it's totally fine. Like, I can be where ever whenever," he was rambling but he couldn't help it. Hands pushed through his hair and adjusted his mask. For reasons he couldn't pinpoint he discovered that being able to fidget with his glasses would have been much more satisfying.

Ballroom Blitz [Open] - megs - 09-16-2015

The coquettish curl of her mouth seemed out of place given the nature of the conversation, kohl-lined eyes glittered suggestively beneath a fringe of lashes, brighter behind the dark feathers of the mask. «I request your most difficult lessons,» she said, loftily, before she could stop herself. Before she could choose her words more carefully. Her gaze darted away from him, shifting her focus to keep her mind from wandering down a darkened path too soon.  «Let us see if you can teach me something.»

She pursed pretty lips as she pretended to think about it, watching as he trailed kisses across her skin. He was so very, very pretty. Dangerously so. Which would have possibly made her nervous in another context, another circumstance, but between the champagne and the dancing. Between the shimmering ballroom and the veil of anonymity, Julianna only found herself intrigued, aroused, exhilarated - there were too many adjectives to choose from, honestly.

«An invitation? Of course. I certainly could not find out how you would look on my own. Despite the vividness of my imagination.»