alonimi
Picking Up Strays [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Valesport (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Thread: Picking Up Strays [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Picking Up Strays [Closed] - Tindome - 05-19-2015

Sputtering was good. Right? Usually that was good. It was hard to tell, with him, since so far his response to her attempts to entice him was to freeze up and look anywhere but at her. Which she was pretty sure meant he was actually interested. People who were completely disinterested generally didn't have such a strong reaction.

Nadine watched his face as he took the tie, and attempted to put on her best cute face. Not that she had the kind of soft and heart-shaped features that leant themselves well to cuteness, but she thought she managed okay.

Uh oh. That was not the right question. Or the right way to ask it. Or the right look on his face. Shit. Shit. She had miscalculated. She looked down at herself, ears pinning themselves back in her hair. "Is this bad?" she asked. "I didn't want to wear the same thing but you don't like me naked so I found something. I tried to pick something that didn't seem too nice so I didn't think you'd mind." Shit. Now she was rambling. Fuck it, she'd roll with it and see what happened. "I guess I probably should have asked but I didn't want to bother you. I know I already kept you up last night, and you were so nice today." She looked back up at him, and her fingers went to the button over her sternum. "Should I take it off?" she asked, though she was already starting to unbutton it.

Picking Up Strays [Closed] - megs - 05-19-2015

He immediately felt like shit when she pinned her ears back. He was an asshole. Totally, and irrevocably, the fucking worst. What was it about dog ears that could make you feel so horrible so quickly? "No, it's nothing. It's fine. Please, don't." He bent at the waist slightly, fingers running down her arms until they curled around her wrists. "Just surprised - thought I had gotten rid of it."

The doorbell sounded off in the foyer and he dropped her wrists as if he'd been burned. Sudden and all at once, pushing digits through his hair. Jet black strands fell back into place immediately when he released them, and he wordlessly turned away from her to answer the door.

His exchange with the delivery driver was brief. At this point in time he would consider himself lucky if Jehovah's Witnesses roamed the streets and went door to door at night. The prospect of accepting Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior sounded preferable to returning to the kitchen and facing Aida.

Small, dark Aida, with her proclivity for being strangely alluring.

Grayson returned to kitchen, adamantly back to not looking at her. He set the pizza on the counter and dropped into one of the stools at the island. Reaching across the granite his slid his beer closer to him and wrapped both hands around it. "Help yourself," he suggested, his thumbs drawing circles in the condensation. "I just got. Like. A Supreme, or whatever. You didn't sound too picky."

Ah, yes. Small talk. Meaningless, and practically no eye contact required. Perfect.

Picking Up Strays [Closed] - Tindome - 05-19-2015

She didn't fake the way her breath caught. She couldn't have faked the way her ears perked up and her tail wagged, even if she'd wanted to. Which was irritating, because as much as she wanted it to be clear that she was interested, she didn't want to look desperate. But the way his hands wrapped around her wrists, all gentle and apologetic as he held her still – goddamn.

Fucking delivery guy. They were never as hung as television claimed they should be, and his timing was awful, besides. What the hell did a girl have to do to suck a dick in this place?

She could always get down on her knees and beg. Somehow she thought that would be more unsettling than enticing. She stood right where he'd left her, fiddling with her tie and thinking about his hands. And the way he smelled. And the way he would smell and his hands would feel if he were on top of her. Slender legs pressed together with the small and slow sway of her hips, which absolutely did not at all resemble when a dog's tail wagged hard enough to bring the rest of them with it. She watched him return with the pizza, disappointed but not yet dissuaded when she saw that he'd returned to not looking at her.

She approached the island, and seated herself on the stool beside his, bare feet dangling off the ground. "Supreme is good," she said, opening the box and grabbing herself a slice. Without thinking, she folded it in half and bit off approximately half of the whole slice in one bite. Unfortunately, the pizza was still hot. Very hot. Hot enough that molten cheese had decided to weld itself to the roof of her mouth. Her eyes widened, her free hand immediately trying to cover her mouth while also trying to fan the air. "Mmmph! – shit shit shit." She dropped her slice back into the box, and without warning stole his beer from his hands to take a swig. She returned it immediately, then turned her face away from him to try and hide the fact that she was swallowing a comical amount of pizza in one bite like some kind of omnivorous duck.

"You should wait for that to cool," she suggested once she'd recovered, sitting straight and resting her chin on her palms so that her hands covered the lower half of her face. "When did you want me to get going?" she asked to change the subject. "Tonight was when you wanted me to leave, right?"

Picking Up Strays [Closed] - megs - 05-20-2015

Grayson was not unaware of the way she had reacted to his touch. Long after letting her go the warmth of her skin still clung to his palms. He tried to push that catch of breath out of his mind, but all he could think about was making her do it again. Which was unacceptable, at the least. Grayson did not 'hook up.' He did not think these things about women he'd just met. Women he has literally picked up off the street. He didn't know anything about her, he reminded himself. He tried, instead, to focus on the way that shirt infuriated him.

A decent person would have anticipated her mistake. A decent person would have pointed out that he was waiting for a reason. Grayson was not a decent person, apparently, because he just watched it happen. He sipped his drink and let her stuff a still-steaming slice of pizza in her mouth with no comment. He watched her curse and flail, relinquishing his beverage without protestation. He had not meant to laugh. Certainly not some dorky snicker that he tried to drown in beer when it was returned to him. It was simultaneously uncharacteristic and a bit rude.

He stepped off the stool, plucking a roll of paper towels away from the sink, before stopping at the fridge for two more beers - almost the last of them. He sat down again, placing the napkins between them and sliding a bottle in her direction. He ruffled his hair, before patting it back down. "If I made you leave, where would you go?"

Picking Up Strays [Closed] - Tindome - 05-20-2015

Her lips twisted as she tried and failed not to smile. He was absolutely laughing at her and not with her, but it still pleased her to have made him do it. His laughter was rare for having only been twice, now; she was unaware that it was usually rarer. She licked grease from her fingers, grabbing a paper towel to wipe her hands and her face before claiming her beer. Not bothering to ask for his bottle-opener, she cracked it open by levering it against her canines. She took a grateful sip, humming as it soothed her mouth.

"You don't have to make me," she said, looking at him out of the corner of her eyes. "I know when I'm not wanted." She sighed, then shrugged. "Wherever." She took a contemplative sip of her beer. "There's a place downtown that lets me in barefoot," she said, looking down at her feet. Then she frowned. "I think they think I'm an actual werewolf. Which is fine." Her eyes narrowed. "Although, that means a higher than average chance that one of these days I'm going to end up going home with someone who wants to stick a knot in me." She made a face, sticking out her tongue. "Which is better than nothing? But imagine if he couldn't get unstuck before the sun came up." Brow furrowed, she took a long swig from the bottle. "Exploded on a werewolf dick isn't the worst way to die I've had suggested to me, but it's definitely up there."

Reclaiming her slice of pizza, she blew on it suspiciously before taking a much daintier bite than was her usual. "Anyway, don't worry about it. I can take care of myself." Her mouth curled. "And don't bother feeling guilty about it, either. I'll leave on my own, if I want. Believe it or not, being pitied from a safe distance is not my idea of a good time."

There. Either he could admit to having even the slightest smidgen of interest in her, or she could go and find someone who did. The long game just wasn't going to cut it. She wanted him, and patience wasn't one of her virtues. If she couldn't have him, she wasn't going to sit here taunting herself with him.

Picking Up Strays [Closed] - megs - 05-20-2015

Grayson rolled his eyes but it was directed at his poor turn of phrase and not at Aida. He went back to frowning when she started talking about werewolves and knots, and all other manner of uncomfortable things. His brow furrowed, because he was quite expressive for someone who tried to keep his distance from everyone around him. She claimed he wouldn't have to feel guilty, while saying a lot of other things that would make him feel guilty.

"Do you think I pity you?"

It had not been his attention to exude such an air of thinking. Honestly, his goal had been to emanate nothing at all, so in retrospect he could see how it might not work as intended. He busied himself with a slice of pizza, looking more thoughtful than the act deserved.

Grayson owned a very large house. Which left a lot of unoccupied space for one person, and at the end of the day it was rather disappointing to see so much of it go to waste.

She needed space, and he had it. Simple. There was nothing else to be derived from the idea. He wouldn't be so foolish as to deem her harmless, because that was how people ended murdered by serial killers. She did, however, seem genuine, and he could appreciate that.

He was making a horrible decision... probably. He looked over his kitchen with narrowed eyes before they settled back on Aida. They noticeably softened, and he chewed the inside of his cheek before voicing his very bad decision. "You can stay."

He didn't appear as if he was going to elaborate on the conclusion. That was the offer and the details could be hammered out as they went along. He looked her over, and almost thought he'd rather her be naked again than in that awful shirt. Not that she looked awful in it.  "We can work on getting you clothes and whatever else you need."

Picking Up Strays [Closed] - Tindome - 05-20-2015

"Maybe not consciously," she said, pulling an olive off her slice and eating it directly. "But there's two reasons people like you decide to keep people like me around." She took a bite of her pizza, and thankfully recalled that speaking around her food did not suit the moment. "The first is that they want to fuck me," she said once she'd swallowed, "and I don't really mind that, because I like being touched and I wouldn't go home with them if I wasn't interested." She crossed her legs, and discarded her unwanted crust, licking her fingers again. "The second is that they feel bad for me," she said. "They think that I'm helpless, or silly, or both. They think something bad will happen to me, and then they'll feel like it's their fault for not saving me from myself." She rested her chin on her palm, dragging her eyes over him. "Since I don't think I'm your type," she lied, because she was very sure that she was, "that means you feel guilty."

"It isn't your fault or anything," she said, stealing another olive from another slice because she'd had her fill. "Even if you'd known I'd be a girl and not a dog, you didn't have any idea what I'd look like."

She hummed as he came to his decision. "I might," she conceded, which was not very gracious when he was trying to be generous. "It is nice, not having to figure out the best place to stop being a dog. The laundromat was going to catch on eventually. But midnight marathons of Forensic Files aren't very good company, and I'm pretty sure you like to use your nights for sleeping."

It was true that she'd couchsurfed in earnest before, taken advantage of other people's misplaced pity to spend a restful week or two. Those people, however, she did not find attractive. It was like having to spend all her time around food she couldn't eat, just... smelling it. It was awful. Her fingers itched to run through his hair, she wanted to curl up in his lap the way she had before. A damsel in distress was one thing, but it only worked if the knight in question planned to sweep her off her feet.

Untying the sleeves around her waist idly, Nadine slid her arms back into them, giving up on trying to look cute. Plain old shirt it was, albeit now slightly wrinkled. She then finished off her beer and crossed her arms on the counter to rest her face in her elbows with a deep sigh. Then her brow furrowed, ears perking up with curiosity, the very particular point that usually suggested sighting prey. She inhaled deeply again, then sat up to lift the shirt higher, hiking it dangerously high on her thighs to smell the collar. She recoiled, dropping it immediately. "This doesn't smell like you," she accused, as if it was something he had done deliberately to frustrate her desire. She huffed, then muttered, "I should have just worn the damn sweater."

Picking Up Strays [Closed] - megs - 05-21-2015

"So my options are to sleep with you or feel sorry for you?" He pushed the unfinished pizza away from him in favor of his beer. He hadn't liked her explanation, as true as it was. He could have sworn there was some middle ground, where he could just be a good person without taking advantage of her somehow. He didn't think she was helpless, or silly. Her behavior was capable, he knew she was smart. He had initially stated he would put her back on the street, because her forward behavior had made him nervous, but things were different now and he hadn't changed his mind out of some misplaced obligation. "Never mind. Just. Don't answer that."

Might, she said and it caused him to snort incredulously. He picked at the wet label on his bottle, shaking his head to either side slowly. "I use my nights for a lot of things," he mutters. He wasn't sure why he'd felt the need to backtalk her under his breath. Probably in the way she had said she wasn't his type, all the while flouncing around and wearing his tie. 

He pulled his gaze away from skin she'd revealed. He was clearly no longer concerned with concealing lingering gazes. It's not like she had ever been concerned about giving him things to look at.

He shrugged, carelessly. "That's because it's not mine." He stood and flipped the lid back over the pizza. He stored it in the fridge and then went back to the island to gather bottles. Depositing them in the bin he turned back to her. He pushed his glasses higher up his nose, and looked her over. "Or you could have asked and I would have given you something of mine." He crossed his arms over his chest, and stood in front of her with the island between them. 

"Whatever you decide later, are you staying tonight, at least? Just so I know what to expect."

Regardless of her answer he would never know what to expect.

Picking Up Strays [Closed] - Tindome - 05-21-2015

She laughed, halfway to a cackle before she swallowed it. "It's not an ultimatum," she protested, still laughing. "Your face isn't going to melt if you choose poorly." She bit reflexively at the nail of her index finger, though they were too thick now for her to bite them short. It was really too bad he didn't have a girlfriend; she might have stolen some glitter polish. Black got a bit boring after a while. "I mean, it's not the only option. But you don't seem to be enjoying the pleasure of my company for its own sake." She shrugged. "If you wanna argue pure altruism, I'm cool with that. Egoistic hedonism ain't for everybody."

Nadine drew heart shapes on the counter with her fingernail, giggling again. "I'm sure you do," she said. "Like. Sometimes, you're on call. Maybe other times you just work late. I bet once you were up until daybreak cataloguing and cross-referencing tire treads and it took you a week to recover."

She frowned and pouted and alternated the cross of her legs, fidgeting with one of the buttons as she tried to decide if she wanted to wear it at all. It didn't smell as nice as he did. Was that why he hadn't liked it? Was she wearing… his ex's shirt?

Goddammit.

"I told you I didn't want to bother you," she muttered, pulling the sleeves down from her wrists and loosely waving her hands at her sides to watch the way the extra fabric flapped about. Like a disgruntled bird.

"I think I'm going to run to the store," she sighed, because she wanted cigarettes and more beer and nail polish. In a city like this there'd be at least one store open where she could indulge herself. Her lack of funds did not cross her mind as an issue, because it was one that always resolved itself when the time came. "It's fine if you don't want to leave the door unlocked," she said, "but it'd be nice if you let me in whenever you get up."

Picking Up Strays [Closed] - megs - 05-22-2015

"It's not your company, that I don't enjoy. I just don't know anything about you." It was not quite an explanation to anyone who wasn't himself. He did not elaborate. Grayson didn't know how to talk to her, or what to talk about. He didn't know what she liked or disliked, or if she had any unusual triggers. Not knowing things made him uncomfortable, to say the least and it was a wonder he got along with anyone at all. Harding and Rivers were the only people he actually talked to outside of a work setting, but that wasn't exactly an impressive milestone.

"I am perfectly capable of socializing," he lied. She wasn't wrong about being on call, or working late. He tried to be one of those things constantly to avoid any awkward interpersonal obligations. His husband had been the social butterfly, and Grayson had been more than willing to tag along and be the arm candy for as long as it had made the other man happy. It hadn't been enough, apparently, and Grayson was left with a circle of 'friends' that blamed him for something he'd had no control over. Which only added to his unwillingness to make an effort. 

He watched her fidget, and tried not to frown. "If you don't want to wear it, take it off." He had taken the statement into deep consideration before uttering it. A part of him felt like hr wouldn't be lucky enough for her to traipse off to the guestroom to remove it without his presence, but he was a grown man and at the very least he could handle one naked woman.

"How are you planning to do that? In one of my sweaters? With what money? You're just going to walk barefoot to the store?" He would guess that he already knew the answers to a few of the questions. That did not stop him from asking more, or pointing out other general flaws. "I live in the suburbs. The nearest store that would be open is still all the way back in the city. What if something happens to you?"

He had not meant to say that last one out loud.

Picking Up Strays [Closed] - Tindome - 05-22-2015

Continuing her attempts to bite a nail that would not give, Nadine raised an eyebrow. "Dunno why that matters," she said, "unless you think I'm gonna murder you in your sleep and you're trying not to get attached." She grinned. "Just pretend we're already friends," she suggested, "and if I don't like it, that's nobody's fault but mine. It'll be just like all that other socializing you do, except you don't even have to leave the house." She imagined she had just detailed a nightmare scenario for him.

Sliding out of her stool, she looked down at herself. He was right. This just wouldn't do at all. She circled the island to take his hand again, this time lacing her fingers with his. "Here," she said, tugging to pull him along, "you can pick me something out, this time, so I don't fuck it up." It was definitely not just an excuse to be in a bedroom with him. Certainly not. The wagging of her tail was totally unrelated.

"You sweat the small stuff too much," she said, ignoring that 'how' was not a small question. "Don't get hung up on details." That was literally his job, but, whatever. Maybe it came off as manic pixie dreamgirl, rather than shiftless vagabond. She grinned wide at his slip of the tongue, and did not say she'd told him so. "If I'm not back by morning," she said, "assume I have been swept off my feet by someone lovely in the night. Nothing bad'll happen." The biggest concern, ironically, was police. Assumptions were sometimes made, and not having any kind of identification complicated matters. His fears were probably more along the lines of random alley attacks, never mind that statistically speaking she was in more danger from him then anyone else. She didn't think she'd be reminding him of that, since that would just make him scowl and refuse to look at her again.

Fingers clawed through his hair, and his expression was bordering on pouting. Why bring up murdering him, if he wasn't supposed to think about being murdered? He certainly should not been considering how she would do it, or if he could prevent her from trying.

He had certainly oversold his ability to mingle and she was now using it against him. Grayson was not entirely sure he knew how to be friends with someone. He could make passive small talk, and remember to say happy birthday when he needed to. Other than that he was probably a shitty friend. Pretend or otherwise.

He did grimace when she pointed out that he did not have to leave the house, so she was right on that account.

She took his hand, and he let her. A habit he should have not been condoning, but didn't have anything to say against it that wasn't strangely childish. Surprisingly, he was thankful for the change of subject. He had no ideas on how to respond to her proposal anyway. So, he just hoped it was obvious that his silence was some sort of agreement.

"It's not like I have any clothes that would suit you."

He imagined her in stockings. She seemed like the type. He felt like Aida wore skirts that were short enough to draw the eyes when she moved. The kind that made him uncomfortable. She probably wore colors that were soft, or bright. Not the intentionally dark or plain things he owned. She needed bangles and heels. Things he did not have for her.

He let her lead this time, pulling him up the stairs. It was cute, but he wouldn't admit it, because he hated even thinking it. He watched her from behind as they walked the hall to his room - all light steps and swaying hips. He had to force himself to look away.

"Right. I'm sure someone lovely is exactly the type of person you will meet on a long walk back to the city in the middle of the night,  I suspect wearing one of my sweaters that you've somehow fashioned into a cute dress."

In his room, Grayson dropped her hand and moved past her to the closet. He didn't know what he was looking for. She wanted something that belonged to him, which was about all he would be able to manage. He could have checked the guest room to see if his sisters had ever left anything behind, but he doubted she would be interested.

"What do you think you want?"

She really wanted to touch his hair. Also other things, but he kept running his fingers through his hair, and now she wanted to do it, too. Run her fingers through his hair, and... lick his cheek? No. That was a dog thing. No sexual maneuvers that remind people she was a tiny dog. That was the rule, because that way lied madness and gross utilizations of peanut butter.

"A lot of things suit me," she said, which was not strictly accurate. But she'd gone through any number of fashion phases, and while there were some to which she planned never to return, men's clothes were far from the worst. Though his would be entirely too big for her. "It's too bad you don't have a suit in my size, actually," she mused with a little twist to her mouth. "But I like that you seem to have something in mind." What he though would suit her and what he found attractive were almost certainly a circular Venn diagram. "We'll have to find something you think would suit me, later," she said, skirting around the issue of what and where and how.

Her hand released his, though her fingers dragged reluctantly over his skin. Then she undid a few buttons and shrugged off her shirt, letting it fall around her feet. She considered following him, hooking her fingers in his belt and pressing against his back to look at his clothes. But she imagined him jerking in surprise, and accidentally whacking her in the face, and discarded the idea almost as soon as it came.

Sexy surprises were almost never actually sexy.

She sat at the foot of his bed, instead, in nothing but his tie as she fiddled with her hair. "You're a cop," she pointed out. "Of course you never meet lovely people in the city at night. You're not looking for them." She leaned back, resting on her hands and crossing her legs.

"I wouldn't be opposed to wearing jeans," she said, "but I'm pretty sure I'd swim in yours." She clicked her tongue as she thought. "I don't know if you have any t-shirts big enough..." She sighed. "Just pick out something you'd like to see me in," she said, "and that I can get away with wearing in public. Maybe one of those sweaters, since you seem to think that'd be cute."

If she was going to stay he was definitely going to buy her clothes. Sharing his closet was not at all something he was interested in. That aside the things he thought would actually suit her, were not in his closet. Or any closet in this house for that matter. He should keep the things he thought would suit her to himself.

"Next time I go into the city, I will make a point to look for all of these lovely people. Just to be clear, do they prefer to hang out around crime scenes or shady bars?"

He recognized the sound of her slipping out of the her current shirt. He heard the bed move under her weight as he pointedly continued stating straight into the closet. Sweater was suggestion enough, and he had plenty of those. Pushing a grouping of hangers to one side, gave ease of access to a burgundy cable knit sweater that he actually enjoyed. He wore it often enough that it would probably smell like him, like she wanted it to.

Grayson pulled the sweater off the hanger and turned around because he thought he was prepared to face her. He thought he would be able to hand off the sweater and go about his business as usual. Grayson was wrong, because even Grayson was not immune to the sight of a naked woman on his bed. Tiny, and dark made even tinier and darker by the size of his bed and lightness of his sheets.

He dropped the sweater on the floor as his eyes raked over her. He moved close enough to loom over her, which was entirely too easy at any point in time. "I do think it would look cute," he admits, catching the tie she wore between his fingers. He moved his thumb over the silky fabric, before releasing it to watch it fall back against her chest. When the last of the fabric slipped through his fingers, he reached to brush a few wayward curls away from her face.

Small, and dark, and willing. Wearing his clothes, or in his bed. Nonchalant, but eager.

Grayson took her face gently between his hands, and leaned to press his mouth against hers.

She giggled again, smoothing out the comforter around her. His whole room smelled like him. Which made sense, of course. It made her want to roll around on his bed and hug one of his pillows. Which would be super, super gross. So she'd save that sort of behavior for when he was at work, or something. "Are you saying that's where you'll be," she asked, still giggling, "or that's where I'm likely to be? I just want to be clear about whether you're accusing me of deliberately loitering around crime scenes."

That was how he'd found her, so he had a point. But those were special circumstances. She'd have been just as happy to loiter around his car at not a crime scene.

She attempted to act nonchalant as he dropped the sweater, because it seemed like grinning might break the spell. Maybe if she stayed very still, he wouldn't realize what he was doing.

Thump thump thump.

With a twitch of irritation on her face, she slid her hand behind herself to rearrange her tail so she was sitting on it. Which was uncomfortable, but better than the ridiculous alternative. It didn't seem to have bothered him, since he had stopped right in front of her, close enough that she had to tilt her head back to see his face. He took her tie, and her fingers dug into the comforter beside her, holding her breath.

touch me touch me touch me

He nearly obliged when he brushed at her hair, and when she tried to lean toward his touch he cupped her face, made her sigh contentedly in that small space before his mouth caught hers. He was very gentle, and very sweet, but Nadine was rarely either. She pressed her lips to his more firmly, pressing her hands to his chest and sliding them higher to grip his shoulders, leaning the whole of her body toward him. Yearning and hungry, and she couldn't help the smallest whimper of wanting. She couldn't decide where she most wanted his hands, or most wanted hers.