alonimi
Las Ballenas Worldbuilding - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: OOC (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Thread: Las Ballenas Worldbuilding (/showthread.php?tid=584)

Pages: 1 2

Las Ballenas Worldbuilding - megs - 12-16-2014

These are all great ideas.

Las Ballenas Worldbuilding - Panda - 12-16-2014

I'll have stuff to add here eventually.

Something to think about though, is that any sort of organization of groups would mean that supers would end up being classified by both power level and threat level. Possibly with each group having thier own ranking systems, possibly with a standardized system but each group ranking things differently, who knows.

Las Ballenas Worldbuilding - sir - 12-16-2014

@ Crimson
I would say that you'd definitely want to know that Strongo the Punchsmith can only exert so many newtons of force, or that Invisi-betty can't maintain her field in the presence of flashbulbs: i.e. limitations and knowledge about various entities' powers.

I'm not sure I follow the logic regarding having a system of power/threat levels overall, though- break it down for me?

@ Tindome
Also, re: college
I was thinking that maybe the college has a botanical garden and a sort of private zoo where they conduct research on the varying creatures/mutant plants that are captured/created/summoned by the faculty and various other parties. Dr. Said takes care of the animal half, and I think you can guess who I have in mind for the plant half.

I can't remember the specifics, as the internet has failed me. But in DC I know Batman had 'threat rankings' made up because he was paranoid like that with different threat levels for both allies and enemies. Marvel liked to pretend they had a rating system for mutant powers as well, using the greek letters, though it was never actually defined beyond saying that Alpha levels being powerful mutants that were trained in the use of their powers, and Omega level basically being the best of the best.

I'm not really saying we need it. But with all these scientist types that would be running around, it can't be said that nobody would have tried to classify things, even if the levels would likely be somewhat fluid.  And if one person did that, and shared the concepts rather than keeping it locked away in personal files, it would have spread somewhat so at least the major groups would have it.  Since logically the major groups would have files on thier allies and enemies for reference.

Maybe that's too much though.  I do have a bad habit of making things too complicated without meaning to.

Las Ballenas Worldbuilding - Kat - 12-16-2014

I think, realistically, that would be something a shadow government would keep tabs on rather than the school itself.
Like, I could see the college having files on students with notes of their capabilities, but it wouldn't be as helpful or as detailed as government files regarding incidents and tests they may have seen or conducted.
So, documented possibilities vs actual recorded data.

Las Ballenas Worldbuilding - sir - 12-16-2014

There are two types of data I can see people collecting.
First, specific information about the limitations of someone's powers: how much weight can a super-strong man lift? How fast can a speedster run? How many ghosts can an astral projector summon?

Good supers might volunteer for testing, because they themselves might not know their limits. However, even they would probably want to control that information. Supervillains are likely to vehemently object to anyone knowing this kind of thing, and might actually hunt you down if you find out!
So, formal testing seems like it would be a pretty limited thing.

However, observational data is much more plausible: shadowy government agents watch super-fights and make notes, and fellow supers share information with their team (and possibly others) about the weak points of their recurring foes. Supervillains might do the same thing, regarding heroes.
Of those groups, the shadowy quasi-governmental group is the most likely to come up with some sort of ranking scale, but even there, very specific information is more useful than categories.

Second, who can destroy the world/a city.
If someone's a potential risk to all life, a walking WMD, you definitely want to put them in a separate category from the people that can 'just' walk through walls or fly.

Actually, that gives me an idea: what if you categorize by the type of threat someone represents?
Overtly destructive powers are one category, security risks (telepathy, walking through walls, dream travel) are another, memetic risks (emotion or thought control and similar) are yet another.

That is, after all, the most pressing information.

Wasn't really looking at the University side of things Kat. Was thinking more of the various groups that would be running around the city. Mostly because the University would be more interested in how things work than how dangerous things were.

As for your idea, Sir/Andrew/whatever...I could easily build something off of that. Probably a Type-Level thing. So a Type 1 Level 5, for instance, could be a telekinetic who only has enough power to lift single small objects or make a persons foot stick to the ground. While a Type 1 Level 1 would be a telekinetic who has shown extreme levels of power, or has no noticeable limits yet. Assuming that telekinesis would be typed with the destructive powers. Probably also a qualifier for if they get their powers from tech, magic, etc since that would alter things. Which would provide a basic classification. Hmm...

By the way, yes I'm asking about this and working on it because I might be using it for something.

Las Ballenas Worldbuilding - danixiewrites - 12-17-2014

*feels a sudden urge to 21 Jump Street*