alonimi
The Ojaria [Open] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Fantasy (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+--- Forum: Muskaptilo (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=81)
+--- Thread: The Ojaria [Open] (/showthread.php?tid=571)

Pages: 1 2

RE: The Ojaria [Open] - megs - 07-05-2016

Circe’s grin was unsettling. Not in the way she found most facial expression unsettling, but in the way the Circe’s show of teeth seemed to imply she knew something that Priya did not know. Priya did not like to not know things. That mouth and those freckles were all conspiring against her; they were so much easier to forget when they were off having grand adventures across the seas.

So unburdened, to be the King’s Navy, she imagined. Flitting to and fro without a care in the world. Without such restrictions one could find on dry land.

“The king is very busy,” she muttered into her cup. As if it was the fault of the position he did not want that kept him from her. Quiet and bitter, like the tea she had let sit to long. Her annoyance steeping in the rumors of a waif in his charge.

It had been easier to love them, both of them, before they were a Navy and King. A rebel and a librarian were much the same as an apprentice. Harder for them to leave her behind.

It was better to work than to wallow.

“The only thing taller about you is your heels.” Priya pursed her lips, hunching her shoulders and sinking further into the plush cushions, looking all the while like a pouting child, not particularly worthy of the praise she was receiving. As thoughtless as she believed it to be. “Flowers are not my weakness,” she insisted. “And if you were to bring me any I would quickly turn them into potions.” It was not quite a threat.

“You’ve not outsmarted me in the past, I do not expect you to start now,” she teased.

RE: The Ojaria [Open] - Tindome - 01-08-2017

Circe frowned a delicate little curl, cocking her head to the side. There was something in Priya's tone of voice that gave Circe pause, an undesirable sense of friction. Nagging at her like a loose thread to be pulled, chipped paint to peel.

"Did you have a fight?" she asked. They could both be so hot-tempered, beneath all the ink staining their fingers. It occurred to her too late what it might mean, the fact that the two had barely seen each other. "Did Arjun do something foolish?" She leaned closer. "What did he do?"

Maybe he had tried to kiss her. Or maybe he was jealous, knowing that Circe wanted Priya as she would never want him. It didn't seem in character, she would have thought, but how rarely did she see him now? Maybe the weight of the crown had done funny things to his head in her absence.

"But what kind of potion would you make me?" she wondered. "Does it depend on the flower? What flowers would I need to bring you if I wanted you to brew me a love potion?" She knew very well that these were not the kinds of concoctions that Priya created, but she also knew how much the misapprehension would irritate the woman.

"Surely I've outsmarted you at least once," Circe protested. "You cannot be the prettiest and the cleverest. Maybe I only let you think you'd won."

RE: The Ojaria [Open] - megs - 10-19-2019

"No," the sour alchemist snapped, because she no longer wished to talk about it. "We did not fight." Impossible to do so when they did not visit with one another. It could have been Priya's fault, just as much as Arjun's, but she would never readily admit it. Easier to work, she reminded herself. For her biggest fear now, would be to find that nothing had changed. To discover that he was just as willing to see her. Just as he had been before.

Just as Circe was now.

But still...Circe had been at the tea shop. Which did not necessarily indicate that she would have had any mind to visit Priya at her home. Priya overanalyzed the situation while Circe carried on about flowers and potions. Naturally, a singular phrase caught her attention.

"I don't make love potions," she replied, moodily. Just as Circe had predicted. But the alchemist was blushing now. An almost imperceptible tinge of red over the bridge of her nose. She could only be draped in so many compliments before she became overwhelmed, and subsequently more susceptible to them. "Letting me win is still a foolish loss on your part." She exhaled sharply through her nose. "If you're so keen to find out, why don't you drift off again on that air ship of yours and see what you can find to bring back to me."

RE: The Ojaria [Open] - Tindome - 03-26-2020

"Hmmmm." Circe narrowed her eyes, but leaned back a bit into her cushions, letting the subject drop. She could pester Arjun about it later. She didn't have to worry about potentially offending him, of all people. A mere king.

Priya, though. That might be a harder thing to fix, if she pressed too hard. She'd rather never mention it again than risk her ire, never seeing her again as she disappeared into her lab in earnest.

"Oh, of course," she said with a curve to her mouth. "What need could you have for love potions? With all the King's Navy throwing themselves at your feet." Her body tilted closer to Priya's amidst the cushions, her cloak falling from her shoulder. "You make a fool of me," she agreed, admiring her blush.

She pouted, a tiny frown. "Are you so eager to be rid of me?" she asked. "Is your book as interesting as that?" She reached out, leaning across Priya so that she could snatch it away and get a better look at it.

RE: The Ojaria [Open] - megs - 04-17-2021

Circe claimed Priya's book to the tune of barely enunciated protests. An utterance of annoyed vowels as the tome was pulled from loose fingertips. She was not as interested in the book as she was in Circe. Close enough to Priya now that her scent left her bewitched. The only geometry the alchemist cared about at present was the shape of Circe's lips. Her only grasp of the scientific method was the steps it would take to discover how the other woman might taste. Priya folded her hands in her lap, no longer having the book to occupy them.

"They Navy does not throw itself at my feet because it loves me," was her snappy retort. She became closer to revealing her true feelings on the matter of it all. It was an inappropriate conversation to be having in the tea shop. Even though they were alone and the cushions and scents of brewing teas and baked goods were cozy and familiar.

Priya reached, unsuccessfully, for her book. It was obvious that she wasn't really trying.

"Can you even read?" She teased with a huff, throwing herself back into the cushions and crossing her arms. Her petulant expression was endearing in ways it was not meant to be. "Or do you require me to read it for you?"

RE: The Ojaria [Open] - Tindome - 04-18-2021

With anyone else, Circe would have sensed the tension and pounced. The loose grip of her fingers, the way her eyes wandered—it should have been obvious.

But this was Priya, immune to her charms and always with her nose in a book.

Priya, who Circe had always nudged a little toward Arjun, always gently but always unsuccessfully.

It just made so much sense to her, that those two should be together, the bookworms she left behind, the ones she couldn't have who couldn't have her. She didn't push, didn't believe that it was fate or that their sparks were obvious; it was only that it would be convenient, that she could be forever the third wheel, her presence appreciated but not required.

"And when has pretty Priya ever been amenable to being loved?" she teased, holding the book out of her reach.

"I can read," she said, a touch defensively. She opened the book to a random page, opened her mouth, then shut it again. She narrowed her eyes at alchemical symbols and equations. She turned the pages a few more times, finding only dense theory for her trouble. "I thought I could read," she corrected. "You'll need to get something better than this if you're going to read to me," she said. "We can ask the King for recommendations. Something with adventure and romance."