alonimi
Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Fantasy (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+--- Forum: Akvero (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+--- Thread: Grande Canal Pub [Open] (/showthread.php?tid=566)

Pages: 1 2 3

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - euphoricvoodoo - 12-08-2014

Lis gave a nod to Gotris' back. She wondered what had caught the proprietress' attention to have her leaving the bar. It was almost as odd as the man at the bar listening to the air and practically fleeing down the hall. Soon enough though she was staring at a good reason to flee with a expression of shock and disgust. For a moment she froze not entirely knowing how to answer. Had anyone else offered her such an insult she would have slapped them. However she would need a taller stool, he had a criminal look to him and Gotris was not here with her axe to back her. She was also unsure of what to say of the man he was looking for. This one had 'property damage' written all over him. Was it better to lie completely that he had never been here or half lie and say he had left.

Lis was broken from her dilemma by words in her defense spoken by a woman with horns. The feature was odd in itself but odder still was someone she didn't know speaking up. Most strangers would not jump up so quickly against a man of this size for mere words. She shot a quick grin in the woman's direction and made her decision. Half a lie was easier to believe than a whole one. "We had a man with some blue hair in here earlier asking our room rates. Said they were too high for his taste. I sent him on to another. Four blocks down, three up. Their rates were more to his liking." Lis pointed the directions to that cheaper pub. It also happened to be frequented by members of the city guard but she wouldn't say that. With any luck he would be satisfied with her giving up the information and not question it further.

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Tindome - 12-08-2014

Gotris didn't house criminals. But this didn't look like any peacekeeper she'd ever seen, and she didn't much care for the way he carried himself. Nor for the way he spoke to the women under her roof.

It being the Masquerade, they'd have been well within rights to tell him they'd seen no such thing. He'd described the man, after all, and not the mask. But Amaryllis had a more clever solution, and Gotris wouldn't fault her for it. Dwarves didn't have much taste for lies, but she'd been living in Akvero too long to hold a Halfling to Dwarven standards.

What surprised her more was that the skittish kitten had gone spitfire. She had a temper, this one. It could be a dangerous thing to have in a city like this. And she'd know, being just about the most stubborn and ill-tempered woman one was likely to find – not just in Akvero, but anywhere over or under the mountains. Her half-formed plans to offer a bit of work to the new girl were pushed aside in favor of more pressing concerns.

She got back out of her seat to stand up, nearer to the stranger so he'd know she meant business. She crossed her arms over her chest, though she was still further than her axe than she would have liked. She had a remarkable ability to look down her nose at people that should have been too tall for such a thing to be possible, and she looked at him the way she might look at something particularly vile on the bottom of her shoe. "If that's all you'll be needing," she said, "You'd best be on your way."

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Panda - 12-08-2014

At first it almost seemed like the thug wasn't going to leave. It was only a bunch of women after all, and it had been a while since he'd had his way with one. Still, he had money to look forward to once he had gotten his hands on the target, and with that money he could get his hands on a more comely wench than any of these. So leering further at the halfling, and then at the horned girl who had tried to threaten him, the thus turned to make his way out. Not before giving one last parting comment to the halfling though.

"You better not be lying to me, or I'll be back ta take the price fer the lie out of yer body, wench."

Then he was stepping out of the pub, and back into irrelevance. As an aside, he would never be seen here again, as a short while later he would be killed in a fight with some off duty guards.

<hr>

For the last bit of the conversation, such as it was, Caim had been lurking just out of view. What he had been searching his pack for, what appeared to be a stylized bracer made out of an odd metal, was on his right wrist but apparently not needed. Still, he didn't even poke his head into view until the thus had been gone for a full minute, and then he looked a bit uncertain. They might have chased the thug away after all, but he was rarely welcome anyplace after the bounty hunters showed up.

"Ah...I suppose I'm not quite as welcome here, now?"

Not that he wanted to leave. If nothing else sleeping in a bed for a night would have been nice, even if the opportunities to earn himself some more traveling money were lower now that he knew the hunters were in town. He had honestly thought he had a day or two lead on them this time...

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Kat - 12-09-2014

Xeii silenced her complaints as the other women present spoke, because as aggressively snappy she could come off, the elf doubted it did much good. It certainly didn't provide the information the brute was seeking; that much came from the femme who remained stationed at the bar counter. Watching the stranger point as did the intruder, it was almost palpably tense in the tavern. Moments passed before he answered, and while he made this grumbling exit, Xeii found herself once again retreating into a scrunched shell of slender limbs around her travel pack. The gripped apple near her nose was sniffed and assessed thoroughly before she took a bite, her chewing jaw a bit louder than it needed to be. City manners and country manners often differed, if only slightly. One could tell in how she teetered with her heels on the seat of her chair that the furniture and it's use in the pub threw her off, but Xeii didn't want to be singled out for being different.

The horns seemed like enough of a distraction for the time being.

Blue haired fellow joined the group in the main room, sheepish but not remorseful, and Xeii's eyes narrowed slowly. Hadn't they just saved him from whoever that thug was? A fate far worse than a hunters pot had awaited him if caught - Xeii had seen that sort of hunter as far out as her home village. No good would come from being captured by that sort. Yet they all were left with questions, and he did little to answer any of them. Swallowing to keep from running her mouth again, the Elf looked back to the Dwarf matron and asked, "Do you have work for me? Anything really- can't afford to be picky. I'm good with my hands and I'm decent enough at cleaning." Taking another bite of the apple, she watched the rest of the room with wide eyed apprehension.

"If not, I have a few coins to stay the night. Not much else though..."

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Tindome - 12-09-2014

"If he comes back," she said to Lis, though she was sure she already knew, "I'll be taking his head off. Either or both, doesn't matter to me." Still, she imagined the guard would have matters well in hand, a fool like that who didn't know his manners. It was one thing to be a criminal in Akvero, and quite another to be rude.

She raised an eyebrow, side-eyed the guest who'd finally re-appeared. "I can't imagine what you mean," she said loftily. "It was not a reveler he described, was it? Nothing to do with you, then." Keep your mask on and your mouth shut, her eyes said, the color of cinnamon and boring holes into his heart. If more trouble followed him, she'd see him out on his ear. And without a refund, besides. A single uncouth goon was hardly enough to constitute rabble-rousing.

Gotris turned back to the horned girl, a twirl that looked rather impressive with the cut of her skirt. "Chew with your mouth shut," she ordered automatically, "smaller bites, feet on the floor, shoulders back, chin up." She stroked at her beard, and beads braided into it clicked together in the process. "Cleaning will do," she decided, "scrubbing the floor and dusting the fixtures. Try to rush it and I'll have you start the whole thing over, so don't think I'm offering charity. There's enough space in the kitchen for a body to sleep by the fire, if you can bear a hard floor, though I won't be letting you in there until you've cleaned yourself off. You'll be earning your food and your shelter, and there ought to be enough left at the end of a week that you can rent a room in the city."

She could be kind, but no one had ever accused her of being gentle.

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - euphoricvoodoo - 12-12-2014

A chill made it's way down her spine at the thug's words despite knowing that Gotris would never allow it to happen. She looked after those who worked for her whether it was with words or an axe. The need may never arise in this case though. Criminal activity happened here but when those criminals took to threatening the preferred bartenders of the guards it was a whole new story. Lis pushed back any fear the man incited and grinned at Gotris. "I don't think we'll have a problem. The guards are as protective of their bars as you are."

The man with blue hair popped back out of his room and she took the opportunity to re-examine him. He didn't look especially criminal though if he stole the fine clothes it may explain their fit. Above all else what really mattered to Lis was if he may be harmful and nothing rang any bells to that effect. "As my lady says. He described a man not a mask. Couldn't have anything to do with you." Tradition in Akvero held a lot more meaning than it might elsewhere mainly because of the coin it brought in. Many people came to the city for their festivals and the promise of anonymity. Start disregarding that promise at the peril of your wallet. That did mean that even traditions that didn't pay held sway though.

Halflings had many traditions or as some might say superstitions. One of those was sweeping which Lis came out from behind the bar to do. Sweep the thug and his evil right out of the place so as to not invite more in. She mused a bit as she swept the man's path out. This particular tradition always seemed a bit silly to Lis growing up even if she did it anyway. If evil could be a tangible thing why would it be concentrated in a person's feet she always asked. Her mother always said it was like dirt falling off a person, it would hit the floor. If nothing else the man trailed in a good amount of actual dirt that needed to be dealt with. When she swept out the door she could see no sign of the thug other than people discussing some man's rudeness in pushing through them. Lis chuckled to herself as she went back behind the bar. That was Akvero, being a criminal only mattered if they were doing something to you but if you were rude you'd never hear the end of it.

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - avaaro - 12-16-2014

A wide grin climbs across an aged and weathered face. It is an obvious sign of victory.

The grins grips a lethal weapon in final victory purging a bounty free of conscious or meaning other than cold hard cash.

The pistol echos and lingers as a dead weight hits the ground. Money made and well earned in the collector's eyes.

A simple method to clear conscious. A man handles the gun and wards only those who would do harm with the same power. Send a maniac to catch one.

The latest was no maniac. Just some young chump brought to a big city with promise of establishing some kind of name for himself. Now just a mere $500 note. That is what his pistols would earn. The ultimate trophy in these parts. Hardly anyone surrendered their firearms alive to tell about it. Each piece came with a unique story of craftsmanship or wizardry. The mortal fell all the same if the head was worth the claim. This was a mantra to the bounty houses of Akvero. It drew many a hardworker.
This latest collection was a team effort completed by Craftsman and apprentice.

Gunslingers had become a common breed as their trade grew in popularity. Many races adopted the work where available. Sioux was one individual who was drawn to the craft. He adored many gunmen he'd seen ride through his hometown which was leagues away from Akvero. Sioux had trailed and tracked a strange bounty hunter in secrecy until they were gunned down by an adversary. Sioux took the chance to seize the hunters weaponry to become a bounty hunter himself. It wasn't long until Sioux was indentured into the service of a Craftsman known among many as Time. Time is one of the main disciples to the Gunslinger known to have established their unique trade.

There were many tricks and schemes into the establishment. Sioux had seen enough in his short existence to capitalize on the naive, however most of his victories came on even ground. Pistols at dawn, pistols at dusk, pistols at brunch. The duel was Sioux's calling. His victories in small territories gained him quick reverence and had silenced many loose cannons.

Sioux is afforded his share of the hunt. His sire, Time, leaves with a majority of their recent bounty's value.
Sioux counts his earnings dons his mask and then heads out into Akvero. Gallantly striding with the status symbol at his hip. Sure he didn't earn well currently, his services benefited many. Any of those who could recognize his station would offer respect. It was a job that could cost you your life.

There was a haunt called 'Grande Canal' that Sioux would frequent to find himself aloof within the city. A place where mask or favour found you little but the grace of someone else wishing to disregard the city's power to instill order. Sioux liked it here, for it was simple. Masks could be taken off and faces would blur, depending on how deep you rowed your boat. Sioux's feet found him here whenever he wanted to launch. A fresh bounty to burn was reason enough to get lost on distant shores.
Sioux found his was to the bar head and ordered up a usual to all slingers. 
"Yo ho to those who row! A round of H 2 O before I go!" His lips were dry and everything else needed nature's relief before any proper adventure.

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Kat - 12-17-2014

Xeii didn't have much else lined up, so despite giving a sour face towards the options Gotris gave, the Elf nodded. "Alright.[/font]" Subconsciously, feet had been placed onto the floor, and her bites were now hidden from view, making her features seem less exaggerated and a bit more curious. The whole pub left Xeii curious, and as it was, she figured there was something to be said about a kind soul offering shelter to someone they barely knew. While harmless, Xeii did have a mouth on her, and it was liable to run away from her every so often. "[color=#d1af57]I'll be the best you ever saw when it comes to cleaning! I swear on my mother to get the job done!" After consuming the apple in it's entirety, save for the nub of a stem, her position shifted so she was standing. Her height just a smidgen taller than the human average was. Body was composed of all angles and length, her limbs were thin and spindly, her joints popping audibly when she swiveled to continue looking around the main room of the tavern.

"So, you want me to bathe?" Lids narrowed at the last part, the confusion over what this meant apparent on smooth features. Xeii was young and it showed in more ways than one. "Where can I do that? I don't mind doing it, but I don't know where you want it done." Shouldering her belongings with a heave and a grunt, the horned woman peered over towards the counter and the Halfling who was sweeping, likely a bit invasive with her staring, but meant nothing of it. Much of what had happened and what there was to be seen was new to the creature, so her eyes wandered and studied even when she was speaking to the Dwarven woman. "I'll start as soon as that's taken care of." Cleaning until bed wasn't such a bad option; kept her out of the way. The worst part of being a stranger was knowing you were a stranger, and while the rest of the tavern could manage because they knew the city and it's customs, Xeii was left questioning how to sit, as well as everything else she had never done before.

The culture shock was real.

"I'm Xeii, by the way. You can call me what you like if that isn't something you want to say. Wouldn't be the first time someone didn't like saying it." Her introduction was followed with a set of slender digits reaching out to take Gotris' hand, as a hand shake wasn't something most cultures were offended by, and other greetings she knew seemed too formal. Another sort had made his way into the pub by the time she was done, hand shaking or being ignored, and Xeii peered at the stranger with her usual alien fixation on his outfit.

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Tindome - 12-28-2014

Gotris watched as Lis swept away the aura of the man, an old Halfling superstition. Not one that she followed, but she respected it for its practicality if nothing else. And it did always feel better to feel as if something had been done in the wake of such a disturbance. She was not one to underestimate the importance of emotional well-being.

The dainty little lass had a mouth bigger than her waist, but if she worked as well as she spoke of working then it was no trouble to Gotris. What a spidery thing she was, all knees and elbows and eyes. More foreign than she'd first appeared, but it made itself more obvious as she unfolded, no longer quite as drawn into herself.

La, but this was turning into a project.

"We have a tub you can use," she said, "though the water won't be warm." A little room for employees only that she'd set up early on, such that even in the case of accidents she'd not have barmaids swanning around stinking of vomit. One of a hundred little touches that most places wouldn't even think of, unpleasant practicalities that were a Dwarf's bread and butter.

She accepted the hand that the girl offered, and though she was usually firm in such things, her grip made it clear that she feared for Xeii's bones. Gotris enjoyed the finer things, but she'd never known what to do with delicate. "Xeii," she repeated, taking her time to get it right. Names were important, and though she may have tolerated having it disregarded, she'd not be the one to do it. "I'm Gotris, and it's all I go by." No titles, but no nicknames, either. The man who moved past Lis was not quite a regular, but she recognized him; boisterous, but nothing Lis couldn't handle. Xeii, however, she wanted to get busy as quick as she could.

Xeii tended to look at people like she was trying to see under their skin, and that seemed like it might be bad for business if she let her keep it up. "Come on, then," she said with a wave of her hand, striding toward that little back room in a manner that might have seemed at odds with her skirt. "You'll be wanting to get this over with as quick as you can."

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - euphoricvoodoo - 01-06-2015

Lis merely raised an eyebrow at the man. She recognized him from his other visits and every other visit he wanted water and when she was here she said the same thing. "You don't want to drink the water here sir. Unless you really want to be sick soon."

There wasn't any trusting of water here. People here dumped all sorts of things in the canals. She'd seen furniture floating down the waterways before. On one memorable occasion a man floating in his chair. Not the best thing to try boating with but he managed well enough. At least that particular man was alive. She knew other unfortunate souls who took a final swim in there. Whether they fell in on their own or had help was always subject to speculation. Nevertheless those in the know refused to drink that water. They knew it was fine once boiled good but no one was going to go through the trouble of boiling enough water for an entire pub to drink. She supposed they might have some left over from watering down drinks earlier in the day if he really wanted. "Something else surely sir?"

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Kat - 01-16-2015

"Warm water isn't something I expect." Admittedly, bathing in a stream meant the water was rarely warm. Pale cheeks blushed at the thought. Did that sound barbaric?

Xeii didn't feel like she was being led into danger, but a shiver ran down her spine at what Gotris said. Not one to seek omens in the everyday, the horned Elf chalked it up to fatigue and did what was asked of her. Following, she was taller than the other woman, but only half as wide - comparable to a branch rather than the whole of the bough. Where she came from, everyone was explained as something related to the trees, though Xeii had assured herself she needn't keep up that sort of thinking. In a new place, it was time to acclimate, and if that meant bathing with a stranger keeping an eye on her, she could manage to do so without any sass. This was a great service in her favor, after all, and the youth didn't treat it as less.

The only pause to come was a nod towards the other worker within the tavern, done out of respect. Xeii had yet to meet Lis, but she wasn't so backwoods that she couldn't gather the other woman was under Gotris' employ. With that done, she practically glued herself to Dwarven skirts to keep close, wide orbs flashing golden curiosity over the workings of the establishment. "Gotris." Said as confirmation, it was both beginning and the end to her thoughts.

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Panda - 01-26-2015

Not commenting on the disturbance any further, Caim took the hint and kept his mouth shut. He'd heard enough about the customs of the festival to know it was his 'borrowed' mask that had saved him from being out on the streets, though having avoided the fight with the thug was nice. Fighting had never really been his thing after all, even after a decade of being hunted. Now he just had to hope that the city wasn't filled with people hunting him down, as his damned hair was far too distinctive. Still, the mere fact that it had only been a single man gave him hope.

Of course now, as he wandered back into the room fully and took a seat to think, he just had to hope they didn't question his bracer too much. He had not been wearing it before he disappeared to his room after all, and despite it's looks it was one of the few things that he could truly consider to be 'his'. Most of his belongings had been 'borrowed' over the years after all, as being on the run hardly allowed one to settle down and have a job.

For now though he needed to earn what money he could. Preferably without stealing, as the festival would have the people who had money worth taking be more wary than they already were. A mask and clothes were one thing. Money was another. He needed to consider food as well, as his stomach was quick to remind him, which led him back to the bar itself with both some coppers and a question.

"I think I'd like some of the day old bread, for now. And, ah...whatever to drink is the cheapest maybe, outside of the water? And would you happen to know someplace that might be hiring a musician for a few days, even with the festival already underway?"

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Tindome - 01-26-2015

"You'll have a tub of your own soon enough," she said, "and then you can have as many hot baths as pleases you." Or so it would go if she did not change her mind, flee back to the country from whence she'd come. Gotris would do her best for the girl, but ultimately there was no predictor for her success in Akvero except for her own self. She would not be disappointed if she decided it was not a life for her; it wouldn't be the first time, and she would not consider it an effort wasted.

The fire in her had abated, a blush in her cheeks and a shiver in her skin. Very like a faun, for one with such large horns.

Gotris led her into the washroom and shut the door – not a comfortable fit, with the both of them, but it would be less cramped once Xeii was in the tub. Though the tub itself was also quite small, the sort that could at best be sat in, a simple bar of harsh lye soap on the shelf beside it. There was a simple level pump to draw up water, lower to the ground than might have been usual so that it would be comfortable for a Dwarf to use.

There was something ironic in having her clean the floors when she was likely to be the tallest woman working here. "Mind your head," she warned, because in employee areas both crossbeams and storage would be a hazard to the elf.

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Kat - 02-17-2015

It wasn't so much as a walk as a glide, her following. Xeii cricketed every so often in fumbling steps, but only because she was behind someone with far shorter legs, and it caught her off guard to shift her speeds. The door shut with a thick snap, bringing the Elf's eyes down to the basin of the tub, where she imagined many others had cleaned themselves. Like the great river, but much less impressive to gaze upon. "Maybe I will, yes." Her free digits reached to push back autumn locks, pinning them behind her tipped ears so the hair wouldn't stray into sight. Warned just in time to avoid clunking her forehead, her left horn bounced with a thud against the aforementioned lower beam. Xeii made a sheepish expression and ducked lower, comically bent over in a sort of gangly crouch to keep from making any more mistakes.

"This is fine. I will watch my head from now on. I'm sorry for," Xeii's hand waved at the crossbeam with a spastic jitter, "hitting things." Though the bag was very important, she knew it wouldn't do to try and bring it into the tub, so it was settled to the side and neatly rested upwards so it's contents didn't topple out carelessly. She, however, was very rough removing her garments. The mud caked cloth was practically ripped away, each layer a bit less grimy, but all the same in need of cleaning. Those too were piled together and set in a small mess by her bag, eyed by the elf only if Gotris had words for them. Bare as the day she was born, it didn't seem very problematic to Xeii, but hers was a life of bramble wood and deep wood outings. Nudity had never been much more than an inconvenience, or in some cases, a distraction.

"And I will just pump the water?" Xeii asked when she sat in the tub, with her long legs bent so she hugged her knees. "Where does it come from?"

Grande Canal Pub [Open] - Tindome - 03-07-2015

Elves of all stripes ever were the very antithesis of Dwarves, a willow where Gotris was more… a hedge?

Dwarves were not suited to plant-based metaphors, but there had never been a stone that looked like Xeii.

Gotris was sturdy. Her arms and her legs and her waist and her hair were all thick, and she'd never hit a crossbeam in her life. Wouldn't even if she'd horns of her own. And with her hair all in neat braids, there was never any need to touch it once it had been set unless she wanted to throw her beads into disarray.

And the clothes. Gotris had worn nothing but the finest since arriving in Akvero. Even before arriving, when she had lived among Dwarves with no kind feelings toward such frippery. She couldn't recall having ever allowed herself to become that filthy. "Don't apologize," she said, hiking up her skirt enough to prod the clothes into an easily-avoided pile with her toe. "Just be careful."

She was going to have to find the girl something to wear. Certainly wouldn't do to put her back in that mess. Fortunately Gotris was good at improvising.

Neither Dwarves nor Akverans spent much time nude around others, but Gotris was not typical of either of those things. She was not shy about Xeii's bared skin, anyway, though there was no telling how she might have reacted to the reverse. "Why don't I just take care of that, for now?" she suggested. Standing near the tub, she began to pump the lever, slowly to avoid there being too much cold water too quickly. "It comes up from the reservoir," she explained, "which is not much cleaner than the canal, but bathe in the canal and you'll come up dirtier than you were to start." She wrinkled her nose at the thought.