alonimi
Tooth and Claw: Speed Among the Stars! [OPEN] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Science Fiction (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Forum: Misc Sci Fi (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=79)
+--- Thread: Tooth and Claw: Speed Among the Stars! [OPEN] (/showthread.php?tid=521)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Tooth and Claw: Speed Among the Stars! [OPEN] - sir - 11-18-2014

It looks like we've got at least one person who only voted for one thing; if they want to hop in, last chance.
I'll leave this open until the afternoon.

Next poll is Terrestrial propulsion. Also, everyone should start thinking of names!

Tooth and Claw: Speed Among the Stars! [OPEN] - danixiewrites - 11-18-2014

It's a shame we can't burn two votes on a thing. That should be legit.

Also: Shiiiip names?

Variety is the spice of life. Think of it as having a first and second choice.

Also, yes, names for the ship. That'll help me settle its appearance/history in my head.

Tooth and Claw: Speed Among the Stars! [OPEN] - Panda - 11-18-2014

Any names I come up with will likely be bad jokes. Like naming the ship Death & Taxes, because 'Much like its namesake, this ships victory is inevitable.' or some such.

One of the other ships in your qualifying race is 'She's one of ours, Sir', so I advise you to go nuts.

My first instincts were these:
Th--<Redacted>
The Hopeless Wreck ^_^

And then I went, no, it's a yacht. And my brain went:
....The...the Ziggy Stardust!

*dies*

I need caffeine now. Stat. *taps vein*

Not bad, although that'll mean you're the second Bowie-themed ship in the race; the other one (the Rock n' Roll Suicide) is piloted by a Type-4 Bowie, also known as a 'Homo Superior'.

The Homo Superior, the Diamond Dogs, the Thin White Dukes, and the Laughing Gnomes were all attempts to reconstruct The Bowie from genetic material ostensibly left behind on a can of diet coke on old terra.

The Bowie himself inhabits a hyperspace-interdicted personal planet, the Bowiesphere, and continuously broadcasts whatever he feels like, sometimes including new music, just as often including his attempt to get to grips with some new technology.

The majority of Bowie clones (or more appropriately, Bowie reconstructions) were inhabitants of ZIGGY-II, a space station in Phobos orbit. I say 'were' because ZIGGY-II suffered a catastrophic technical failure and explosion, which eradicated numerous Bowies, leaving the remainder a small (and sometimes persecuted) ethnic minority.

Bahahahaha............omg

Tooth and Claw: Speed Among the Stars! [OPEN] - Tindome - 11-18-2014

This is all canon. Especially the Bowiesphere. So canon.

You should know. I went to check the universe notes. Just to be sure I hadn't missed the introduction of something amazingly awesome. XD

Tooth and Claw: Speed Among the Stars! [OPEN] - Tindome - 11-18-2014

I haven't added it to the notes... but I should. A whole seperate Bowie primer, for anyone who wants to include the Bowieverse in their RP.

Tooth and Claw: Speed Among the Stars! [OPEN] - sir - 11-19-2014

New Poll! Since I don't feel like dragging it out I'll do a simple breakdown here:

Legs are good at rough terrain but not as fast as anything else, and also can't fly, like, at all. Although they might jump.

Repulsors are fast and can work on any flat surface (including a flat lake, or something of that ilk) but have a very low flight ceiling- broken terrain (boulders, rubble, etc.) gives them trouble.

VTOL thrusters work pretty much like repulsors but can 'bounce' the ship over any obstacles. However, they use a not-insubstantial amount of fuel, as opposed to just reactor power. Also, if one thruster gets damaged the ship will spin out (whereas repulsors can be re-balanced more easily).

<VOTE TABULATION>
x0 FAC Gun, Gauss Penetrator, Plasma Grapnel
x1 Inertial Storage Projectile, Detonator Hive
x2 ECM Limpet Projectile
x4 Crybaby Drone Rack
x6 Gravity Tether

<VOTE RESULT>
As a yacht, and given the way the vote fell out, our ship sports the following weapons:
<01> Ventral Drone Bay | Capacity x4 Drone Projectiles
<02> Port Grav Projection Blister
<03> Starboard Grav Projection Blister
Essentially it has a bomb bay for drones in the belly, and two big bulges that project grav-tether 'hands' on the left and right. It's a wrestleyacht.

Tooth and Claw: Speed Among the Stars! [OPEN] - sir - 11-19-2014

On the advice of my counselor-in-chief, I am clarifying that legs would be "Robot Spider" legs, and not "Transformer" legs.

Tooth and Claw: Speed Among the Stars! [OPEN] - Tindome - 11-19-2014

Yeah I was imagining a yacht with buff man legs, not a Wild Wild West yacht spider

Tooth and Claw: Speed Among the Stars! [OPEN] - Panda - 11-19-2014

Now I'm torn. Because the wrestling spider-yacht sounds amusing.