alonimi
Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Science Fiction (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Forum: Misc Sci Fi (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=79)
+--- Thread: Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... (/showthread.php?tid=512)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - yinepuhotep - 11-17-2014

"Gah. No, I am not one of those primitive wristbands the Mads gave all of us at their luh-BORE-a-tree. I am Andrei Sakharov, Tammy's partner and babysitter. The pad they gave Tamy has linguistic files, and a primitive translator program, in it, but unfortunately, it doesn't have audio inputs or outputs, and she passed out before I had a chance to copy over its files. Based on the others that he was with before they kidnapped the man and woman who were here, the boy you're trying to order about is, at best, the equivalent of a 14 or 15 year old human. The adults seemed to consider it to be something of a joke that he was out here at all. That means he's either going to do something utterly stupid, and you're going to end up shooting him, or you're going to do something violent and he's going to realize he's way outgunned and flee in terror. I was hoping to avoid both of those scenarios by dumping him on his ass. That would have given you time to find out if the text on Tammy's pad gives you enough phonetic clues to speak to him intelligently, rather than like a barking barbarian."

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - jazzhands - 11-17-2014

Zadkiel heard the Russian accent pipe up again and soon learnt the voice was not coming from her given wristband. "That's disappointing, I wanted my wristband to be smug too. Then it would really be my ex-wife." The voice continued on about it's name, the woman's name, a fancy notepad that could help translate, educated guesses that the computer's tone implied were fact and another nod to Plan Push-It-Over. However, the end of the rant came with a jab at his handling of the situation which really didn't improve the cop's opinions on the fancy AI device. 

"Virtual Vodka, you need to slow down a little there. Shoving him doesn't really accomplish much. Plus, those vines look way too friendly and I have hugged enough wildlife today. I'm a cop first and a gardener somewhere around the fifty four mark. I really like bonsai trees. However, you mentioned a notepad that could help translate. Maybe I have one in my pack." The vines close to the horned creature became more active and Zadkiel felt like he probably didn't have too long a time window to work with. Keeping his gun hand pointed on the being, his free hand pulled his bag off and opened it up. Rooting inside, he grasped what felt like a notepad and pulled it out flicking his thumb over it hoping to find out how to translate.

Sadly, this datapad had nothing on translation. Instead, his pad appeared to be a database on laws and customs. Rolling his eyes at the sense of humour the scientists who orchestrated this must have, Zadkiel spoke aloud to the Andrei device. "Well, my datapad does not have a way of translating language quickly. If I searched through it, I might find local customs to help me negotiate but that's time we don't have to spare."

The creature in front of the detective was looking back and forth between the gun and the angel as if trying to gauge a next move. "This one is getting anxious. Andrei, is Tammy likely to wake up anytime soon? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of her regaining consciousness? I admire her statue impression but it doesn't make for a useful ally." 

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - yinepuhotep - 11-17-2014

"I'm afraid you're not likely to do much negotiating in the middle of exchanging weapon fire, either. So, I'd say that you have very few options here. Resort to more violence, or resort to less." Andrei's exasperation only made his accent thicker. Why is it, you give someone a badge, and they treat every encounter as a combat situation? I know Dad would say it's because only psychotics WANT to wear badges, and the more I encounter police officers, the more I believe he may have a point.

"I would expect her to wake up in another couple hours, at best. Unfortunately, she knocked herself out, over-using her power, and when she does that, she's like a phone with a drained battery. Until enough of a charge returns to the battery to get a signal, it's not doing anything. It's the same with her. Unless you have the necessary knowledge and materials to give her a D5W IV, we're stuck. Unfortunately, the Mads who sent us here seem to have been of the opinion that food and water grow on trees. Which they do, just not carnivorous trees, in my experience."

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - danixiewrites - 11-17-2014

Answer's head bobbed between the vines, the weapon(?), the prone stranger and the standing one, then back to the baby maws of more vines, all of them holding conversations he was ill-prepared to join.

Rubbing at his solely intact horn in the irritated fashion another might've pulled their hair, he closed his eyes tightly, then opened them in a rush. <STOP!> Finally a sound like the crack of a breaking tree limb exploded from his green-tinted lips--a word that made the vines droop around the subject of their intended feast. Another flurry of words like the rustle of leaves to the pair of Hornless before him, though he knew not if they understood: <You come. See Elder.>

His brow furrowed, and while the expression could've been concern or anger, he spread his palms. <I not leave you to Darkness.>

Answer dropped his bow as the strangers spoke, crooning to a vine to collect it in his wake, which it did, and also gathered a loose arrow from the ground. Tentatively, he stepped forward. <You understand, 'Darkness', Hornless? Darkness like Fire. Fire eat. Darkness EAT. Elder...> He shrugged as if in apology. <...drink.> He pantomimed fangs as if imitating the vinelings at their feet, either uncaring or unknowing that he looked ridiculous, hopping up and down like a madman and chirruping things to two foreigners who likely understood him less than he understood his kin.

<Come.> he ordered, and the vines slithered, the platform under the red-haired Hornless moving toward him, toward the village.

---

Anya's mouth dropped open as the woman at the far side of their prison came forward to defend a stranger. Taken aback by a moment of seeming kindness, she shook it off. "He's not your kin. You're able-bodied enough to finish him. Why would you bother with a stranger's comfort? He'll only eat your food, and die anyway." She shook her head vehemently. "Where the hell do you people come from? Dressed like that," she swept an arm toward the woman's clothing and clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth, "on my world means you were kept for something...special. But you sure don't act like one of them."

Anya froze, wishing for her knives as a sudden thought cut off her disparaging remarks. "Ah. Unless. Are you pretending, perhaps, because you intend to eat him?"

To the man who backed away from them both, she gave a harsh look, but nodded. He still had enough spark to defend himself, and, indeed, a weapon, though he only lit it briefly in warning, a secondary device held mockingly between his lips. She frowned at the smoke, thinking she might have seen one such thing before, on a crumpled sign in a crumpled town. This was not a space where she wished to succumb to flame. "Perhaps I was premature, then. If you are well enough to display such threats, you can fucking well live."

Anya sat back, leaning against the shell of the cage, glaring at her would-be companions. Once more, her gaze fell to their bags, the reining thought being of the physician's manipulation. She held out her abomination of an arm to show her wristband. "Did either of you get promised rations?" she asked after a long silence.

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - tanith - 11-18-2014

"Ah, oh, sorry." Victoria removed her hand from the man's shoulder when he made to move away from her, and held it up for a few moments as she decided if she should follow him. It probably wasn't a good idea, he appeared to still have some life in him yet and it was very possible that in his state he could lash out. She knew if she was in his position she would do everything possible to defend herself. She could not blame the man. With a soft sigh she dropped her hands back to her knees when the woman on the other side of the cage piped up.

For the first part of her little outburst Victoria chose not to look at the woman, instead staring ahead and rolling her eyes. She knew the logic in her words, but the more the woman pushed the issue the less she wanted to go through with it. Besides, could she actually do it? Perhaps if he were a threat, but it didn't seem like he meant any harm, and he was injured, what much could he do to them? But the longer the woman went on, the more frustrated she became with her.

"Would you just shut the fuck up?" Victoria held her tongue for long enough, and after a few moments of seething in silence, finally burst. She could understand her concerns about the injured man, but to continue on and make comments about her appearance was what really set Victoria off. What was she suggesting saying she was dressed as if she were kept for something special? Sure, her clothes were fashionable and expensive but neither was she dressed like some High street prostitute. Like Anya, she was wearing jeans, perhaps a bit tight, but still jeans. Her boots may not have been practical for this land, but how was she to know to wear her hiking boots to the clinic? Her jacket was down filled, which would be nice for a colder climate, and underneath was a teal v-neck cashmere sweater which was probably ruined after her fall in the swamp.

"No I'm not pretending, and no I'm not going to eat him!" Her volume rose the more she spoke, and the more she spoke the angrier she became. "and who the fuck made you Queen of everything to decide wether he can live or not?"

She drew her bag close upon seeing the other eyeing it, then tossed the other one over to the man, assuming it was his. Victoria had not had a chance to go though the sack, and so had no idea if she had been given rations or not. She certainly could not remember being told any such thing, even if she was she was not about to let anyone know about it. Wasn't there anyone in this group that she could actually trust? Where were the others that she saw? If they were anything like this woman they would be long gone by now, she hoped this wasn't the case and that they were going to come and save them.

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - danixiewrites - 11-20-2014

Blue eyes went sharp as filleting blades. "Does the truth so hurt your special fuckin' ears?" Anya asked, muscles less inclined to make a move now that she knew, rationally, that she couldn't be facing a cannibal. The woman's cursing was diametrically opposed to what she knew about kept women, too, though.  In her world, they were spoiled wisps of things, the most intact and decadent clothing. Generally sweet, with little knowledge of what happened outside of their doors. So who was she? Him? The other firestarter with the tech?  Where had they come from that they couldn't even grasp the basics of survival?  What madness had those physicians truly been up to?

And most importantly: where was she now?

Because nowhere on an entire planet of wasted, post-tech-beaten earth did anything exist like this tropical hellhole.

"Or is it just that you've been so sheltered you don't know how this food thing works? It's not like you can go to some building to peruse from little shelves. You gather, grow, kill, clean, cook! And when there isn't enough, you TAKE!" She threw up her hands, matching the woman's volume with her own rather than trying to out-shout her with modulation. "I was trying to keep us alive, idiot girl!"

"Doesn't matter now. He's made his case." She lowered her voice, sending a clipped nod to the man's still-lit stick. "A second firestarter in one day, in this forest? No thank you." As the other woman pulled her bag close, Anya's ears swiveled, a pang of regret clenching her fists. If she'd kept ahold of hers, perhaps there'd have been something she could use to get out of the greenery-covered cage. Or something to eat or drink. She wouldn't know, because once the plants had come to hungry, vicious life, taking the time to look would've meant death. "If not food, perhaps the good physicians decided to send us here with useful things. Other weapons, perhaps? Or, since you're so keen on his life, perhaps first aid supplies," she added, more than a little sarcastically.

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - yinepuhotep - 11-20-2014

<p>"I don't know about you," Andrei said, "but it seems to me this podrostok thinks he's rescuing us from something. Not only that, whatever it is, he thinks it's important enough to go naked in front of you in order to accomplish it. Nothing's getting to Tammy while I have her armored up, so I'm inclined to wait while this plays out. Besides, if you're planning to rescue the people they've already taken, you're going to have to have some idea where they took them."</p>

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - jazzhands - 11-20-2014

Zadkiel stroked his chin as he planned his next move. He had to find the others somehow. As he stroked his chin again, he spotted the creature scratch it's horn and a smile formed briefly at the similar motion they were both performing. The creature spoke to the detective but sadly, he heard nothing but strange sounds and knew he had no hope of communication verbally without the datapad that Tammy had. However, Zadkiel recognised the gestures of spread palms and putting the bow down and the cop knew that the Lawbringer would not be fired for now. 

Putting his weapon back in it's holster as a motion of trust and respect, the detective watched the creature mime some more and wished he had joined in on Charades at the annual Angelcop Ball instead of doing paperwork. Struggling to grasp what the native was hinting at, the detective went to stroke his chin but found his groove interrupted by the Russian voice. Zadkiel didn't appreciate a machine trying to guide him on what to do next or make assumptions for him. A good cop relied on gut feelings and instinct...something a computer chip can't replicate. 

However, the AI had reminded him of two things: Tammy would be nothing but deadwood for him to carry if he freed her and there were hostages that needed rescuing which meant Zadkiel had to find wherever these creatures lived. Vines wrapped around Tammy and the one and a half horned native did a motion that suggested for the angel to follow. Zadkiel would happily follow the strange being but he wasn't sure if he was comfortable with doing so in such an open fashion. It would require a big leap of faith to just walk behind the creature and the vines wrapped around Tammy didn't give him the feeling that a warm welcome would be waiting for the cop at wherever the natives lived. 

Zadkiel decided a stealthy approach was the best course of action. "Virtual Vodka, you may not see me but I will be following you. Hopefully, the journey is a long one so Tammy gets the time to charge her batteries and wake up. I won't abandon her or the others. Good luck." The vines begin to drag her away and the Justicar focuses his attention on the horned native. "Go. Follow." Motioning hand actions to try to signal he will follow, it takes a few attempts before the creature gives a confused slow nod and turns around as a platform lifts under the angel's feet and begins moving him behind the native.

Not appreciating being denied the opportunity to walk, Zadkiel knew he would not be riding with his new travel friend for long. After a couple of minutes of being sure the native is paying him little attention, the Justicar jumps off the platform and runs a good distance away watching to see what the horned being does. The creature calls out with strange sounds a couple of times and makes motions as if the cop should return before standing closer to Tammy. A few minutes pass and the native finally gives up and continues walking with it's prisoner in tow. 

Zadkiel ignores the part of him that told him he should have rescued the woman. Tailing the creature is the best option to find where the others are being held and the woman was fine due to that strange armour. The Russian machine would keep an eye on her so that he can play the hero later on. Pulling out his datapad, Zadkiel decides to use the time tracking the horned being to also try to do research into the local customs. Maybe he could find something to help him when he gets to wherever they live. Feeling fairly confident in his new plan, the detective continues to read and keep up with the native from a good distance. 

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - danixiewrites - 11-20-2014

Answer walked backwards, coaxing the vines to follow him through the forest, away from the blaze his kindred were tending, away from the terrible Darkness that plagued those outside the boundaries of home.

He was soon confident the stranger on his living makeshift cart would not run, though the other had fled. had lost sight of the other Hornless. The vines shushed at him and Answer barked a reply, sending them scurrying back into the forest, dismissed instead of sent to corral. It wasn't the one he intended to find favor with the Elder for, but he'd tried to save him, and the stranger had not accepted. Even barely-a-warriors knew to stay inside at night, and night fell fast on the rainforest.

The village always shocked, coming from the rainforest side. Underground in the roottunnels, there was a warning that one was on approach. Topside, there was nothing, a simple step across a tightly knotted threshold of greens and blues and reds of tropical flowers. One expected a continuation of forest, and instead, those allowed entry got a flat, open space contained in a dome of trees, all willingly bent high overhead, an agreement between the wisest of the flora and the wisest of his people, to keep the local population safe. In the dome were smaller ones, the largest being the Elder's, the smallest being temporary places for outsiders to recuperate, and wait out the evening for Darkness to pass. Other vine or leaf-wrapped huts middled about, where various activities were completed, none the least of which was sleep--although pallets abounded under the earth as well, where his people best replenished their energy stores--and cooking. Even now, Answer could smell the promising odor of fried, giant Kal'Majah leaves, seasoned with cinnamon. A special treat to go alongside the main dish. Dinner would not be long, so his offering was just in time.

His offering! Mossy eyes going wide, Answer wrangled his bow from the vine he'd tasked to hold it. One did not approach the Elder without one's birthright on display. He clucked at the vines, encouraging the young things toward the largest hut. Along the way, he heard harsh sounds, and presumed his kin's offerings were not quite so docile as his own. Answer smiled at this thought, because his offering would surely be the favorite! And then, his unit, the ignored ones, would be safe, their essences spared from Selection.

Answer prostrated himself before the great, many-horned Elder. <Honorable one,> he said without lifting his face from the ground. <I have brought you a gift.>

<Others have brought me Hornless,> the Elder countered in a voice like a tree waving in a breeze.

<This one is of red hair?> Answer replied with a questioning tone, starting to doubt himself far too soon for his liking. He glanced up and straightened his shoulders. His unit would be, must be spared. They were too unique to lose to Darkness. <My kin saw it flying. It is strong. I have brought you a strong gift.>

Please don't eat, he thought to himself. These days, things were uncertain.

<I hear these Hornless have red essence,> the Elder said, for now a toothless, eager expression on his face. Answer ran his tongue over his own teeth, flat and even, fighting a most unwarrior-like instinct to cower from the unknown. Come nightfall, come Darkness, everything changed.

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - tanith - 11-24-2014

"What is the point, we are all trapped here anyway. Those things will probably be coming back to eat us, so its either we look for a way out, or we die will a belly full of ...." She looked at the man on the other side of the cage. "Uh, sorry. We're not going to eat you. Or, at least I'm not going to eat you."

"and I've learned some basic survival skills in summer camp, thank you very much. If you are so smart then why haven't you found us a way out yet?" Victoria snapped back with just as much sarcasm as the the other. 

In all honesty, Victoria did have a brain full of random knowledge, most of it was trivial things like who was dating who, and such and such was getting a divorce on whatever reality show she was watching. It was true that her father actually did a good thing for her by forcing her to take all those courses. However, she didn't have a course on how to get out the situation she found herself in, and the only way she knew how to get out of a cage was with a safeword.

"I can check my bag...." A devious smirk spread across her lips, the lipstick now faded and slightly smudged. "But, my goodness, you do not appear to have one? What a shame."

Cautiously she crawled just a little closer to the injured man and sat herself down again, giving the woman a 'don't fuck with me' look before stretching her legs out and placing her bag in between them. Carefully she unzipped her bag, taking her time and being the little bitch that she was and prolonging the moment. 

"If you can, you should check your bag too, if you haven't already." She gave the man a sideways look, careful not to fully take her eyes off the woman. 

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - Panda - 11-25-2014

Fighting against the hazy feeling from loss of blood and head trauma, Kieran did his best to focus as he watched the two women.  Calmly puffing on his cigarette, at least outwardly, he tried to make sense of things.  They were obviously very different people, with very different attitudes, but they just didn't seem to mesh together.  Slowly, as they talked, his mind tried to piece things together.  Those little things, like the one woman calling him a 'firestarter'.  Did she not know what a lighter was?  Because even he, lacking in any meaningful memories whatsoever, could recognize a lighter.

If so much was different, then what exactly was the same?  Other than the obvious, only one thing popped into his head.  Mostly because he looked down and was directly reminded of it.  The wristbands, he had one, both the women here had one even if one was seemingly attached in a more permanent manner, and now that it was in his head he thought the strange flying woman from before had one as well.  By this point he was obviously not paying as much attention to his surroundings as he should, only absently noting the one woman shifting closer and digging into her bag, as instead Kieran leaned down to take a closer look at the wristband, poking it gently with his other hand as he spoke to himself in a soft voice.

"What are you?"

Of course the last thing he had expected was to actually get an answer from the wristband.

"I am an experimental dimensional travel prototype created for exploration purposes and developed by the Interrealm Vitalife Consortium."

"Well.  Shit.  Definitely not in Kansas then, not that I was to begin with.  And this is definitely not Oz."

It would take him a minute or two to actually process that information.  Even as lost as he already was, dimensional travel like that did not sound good.  Or possible, really, but the people with horns spoke for themselves.  In the meantime he would stare wide-eyed at the wristband and vaguely hope that this was all a dream, and he'd wake up in some warm bed someplace knowing exactly who he was.  Finishing up that cigarette seemed like a good idea as well.

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - danixiewrites - 11-30-2014

A derisive laugh filled the cage. "Basic survival skills? You expect me to believe you've survived this long and not been tucked in a pretty hole somewhere...with basic skills?" Keen blue eyes narrowed at the strange woman. The tips of Anya's ears twitched. "And how do you expect to survive this place with basic skills? Us." She gave an indignant huff and motioned with her hand to the three of them. "A joke, since you don't seem interested in survival, after all.  The physicians may have selected us for the vitamin trials, but with an attitude like that, we don't need to be a fucking team."

Or did they? Anya frowned, crossing her arms over her chest. She sure as shit wasn't getting out on her own, not with the way the vines seemed to slowly coalesce over the wooded form of their prison, and not without her blades.

Anya smirked a little. The other woman at least had a sharp tongue. Not a physical weapon, but one useful in some circumstances, nonetheless.  "Perhaps my way out can involve your spoiled corpse. Bone might be useful for slicing through these tough vines."  The threat was mostly empty, mostly a provocation to see if she could maneuver her hands onto the bag by her side.  She didn't have a good enough reason to remove a perfectly healthy person from the playing field.  Not when the other woman only slung words. It wouldn't do her any good to shatter the woman's eardrums; she'd still be stuck inside the cage.  Though...basic survival skills or not, the woman did have nails that could break skin. The last thing Anya wanted--besides being burned alive--was catching an infection that would render her as useless and marked for death as the others who were her unwanted companions.

Anya hungrily watched her dig into her supplies and pondered other options. There was trying to piss off the vines around them enough to make them break formation--which could also result in them simply tightening impossibly around the cage walls. There was the smaller being she'd seen, the resulting argument--at least, that's what she believed it had to have been. There was calling out to the creatures outside that the man had fire--they'd seemed pretty pissed in the woodland.

Creatures.

"No. They took it and my knives. I will retrieve both the moment we're away from here."  Now she was saying "we" again, not because she'd decided to change her mind and be a team player, but rather because she'd recognized something in that brutal rush of clarity: the people with her were human. Even she, a mutation, further mutilated by new tech, was still human.

The creatures outside? Not human.

Something feral within her seized on that humanity and clung.  More was at stake here than the survival tactics she'd lived and breathed since birth.

The wristband-voice piped up across from her and her ears jolted forward at its words. Just as quickly, as its and his words registered, the color drained from her face. "What manner of hellish tech..." And did he say Kansas? "How...could you have been there? Kansas has been gone for quite some time."

But of course, maybe to him it hadn't been. Especially if dimension travel meant what she suspected.

"Your clothes are wrong, your attitudes too foolish to have secured your survival, and we're in a bastion of green...that shouldn't exist..." Anya's head spun and she uncrossed her arms, long enough to hike her legs to her chest and refold her arms over them once more.

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - jazzhands - 12-04-2014

Decades of detective work had left him with the ability to have tailing down to a fine art. Close enough to never lose sight of the person, far enough away to avoid detection if they got suspicious and took a look around. Being active and on the beat...that was the life for Zadkiel. Paperwork and reading the fine print were not...which would explain why the dective found his datapad slow work. However, it eventually gave him the details of the horned natures in terms of some customs and laws. The Justicar would have to put his research on hold because he noticed the one and a half horned creature step through some tropical flowers and it was suddenly gone along with the captive woman. 

Zadkiel knew he could pick up the pace and follow the native in...but he didn't have a plan of attack and it could all be a massive trap. His attention went back to the datapad in the hope it would give him something juicy to use. LAW: Assaulting the creche is punishable by ritual sacrifice under the twin green moons at full light. Zadkiel didn't like the sound of that and his eyes looked for more. LAW: Hornless are not permitted within the village without an escort unless other measures are taken ie; imprisonment. Zadkiel ran a hand through his red hair as he considered whether going with the native could have been the best option after all. It would have likely resulted in him being put in a cage but going in on his own now will likely be seen as assault. 

The detective didn't mind the concept of assault to rescue hostages but the idea of doing it without backup or a layout of the area was a different ball game. His green eyes went to the local customs to see if there was a Plan B that could be formed. CUSTOM: The Elder of the Horned has a large collection of furs and hair and will welcome more as a tribute. The cop didn't feel like giving him his hair but finding some wildlife to kill for fur seemed a possible option. CUSTOM: An outsider may appease the locals by being respectful of the flora that keeps them safe. It is customary, therefore, to present water to individuals to indicate peaceful intent.

Zadkiel sighed when he first read that local custom. If they knew he had set the fire earlier, he would probably not be seen as any sort of peacekeeper. Not that the wildlife had shown him any peaceful intent when he acted in self defense but flora was important to the culture of these creatures. The detective stroked his chin as he set his new plan on finding a source of water. That is when an idea hit him and he began searching through his backpack. Working on the assumption that the scientists that set up this twisted experiment would provide the subjects with water, Zadkiel found a water bottle and his face erupted into a smile at his hunch being correct. 

However, the smile dimmed when he opened the bottle and found it to be empty. Not knowing whether they had given all subjects an empty bottle to test their resourecfulness or just him to punish him for investigating, Zadkiel sighed with frustration that he couldn't catch a break just once on this case. Taking note of everything else in his backpack for future reference, the Justicar put his backpack on and activates his communication device. "Control, this is Angelcop. Wherever I am, there are deadly tree monsters and crazy flora trying to kill me. There are some weird natives to this strange forest too. They have horns and make abnormal sounds that kinda sound like the breaking of wood and the rustling of leaves." 

A familiar voice comes out from the other side. "Angelcop, it's the Chief here. We have been trying to locate you to send a retrieval squad but no luck so far. And from what you just described, we will be no step closer to locating your ass. Now, we will use what you have told us to try to remove some of the options on the universe list. Is there anything else you can tell us?" "Chief, there are other strangers here that might provide useful leads on the case. They are currently being held captive and I'm working out a plan to get them out. In the meantime, you might want to take another look at the scientists involved in all this. But be careful...I walked right into an ambush. That means they either have good protection or they knew I was coming."

Silence fell for a moment before the Chief spoke again. "Are you trying to tell me we could have a mole, Angelcop?" "It's a possibility, Chief. I feel like I was lured into a trap. Maybe the scientists just like to set up safety measures for nosy people like journalists or impatient subjects." "Angelcop, they could have just seen you go off on your own on their security system." Zadkiel stroked his chin and nodded to himself before elaborating on his gut feeling. "You might be right, Chief but that robot going down that hallway and leading me to a robot army big enough to take down a Justicar...it all just felt a little too convenient." "I hope for both of our sakes that you are just being paranoid. Leave me to worry about other things, you just focus on survival. Be careful.""I'm a cop first and a safety instructor around the fourty-three mark, Chief. And I only did those safety courses because you made me. Over and out."

"ANGELCOP, HOW MANY TIM-"  

Zadkiel muted the device and gave a mischevious smirk at cutting the Chief off since he knew how much that wound her up. The detective looked at the spot where the native had vanished and knew he would need to leave himself a waypoint to find the entrance again. Letting the energy flow through his open hand, the detective creates a small ball of light and leaves it to hover as a signpost before gripping the empty bottle and setting off to try to find some water to fill it with. 

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - Panda - 12-06-2014

So a different dimension. No chance of managing to get home then, even if he managed to remember where that was. Not to mention the fact that from the way these two women were acting, just about everything out there was trying to kill them. Yet here they were, trapped in a cage, helpless, and likely not going to live much longer. Oh god, they were all going to die, they were-a blade pierced his heart, and he looked down at it and then back up at the man who had promised to help him.  To save him from this place.  Eyes full of betrayal, he opened his mouth to ask why, only to have blood come out instead of words-no, no they weren't going to die.  They had to figure out something.  They needed a weapon of some sort.  And Kieran barely even noticed the flash of memory that had come as he was feelng overwhelmed.

Thinking as quickly as he could with his head trauma, Kieran shifted his weight and winced at the movement.  Then, slowly, his eyes widened as he had a realization.  This was going to hurt.  Reaching behind him he grasped blindly at the would in his back, blood flowing freshly as he dug around and tried to get a grip on the part of the arrow left inside.  Then, finally, he had a hold of it and he pulled.  The pain on his face was obvious, but soon enough he held his bloodsoaked prize in front of him.  Now he just needed to stop bleeding again, since he could already feel the lightheadedness creeping back.

"We need to get out of here.  Anyone think they could use this until we find something better?  Or have any ideas on how we could get out?"

Kieran said 'we' but honestly already wasn't expecting to live through this.  Not with him bleeding more, and not without a miracle.  Still, something in the back of his mind seemed to think he was missing something important.  The amnesia obviously didn't help.  Though with the lightheadedness making it hard to focus, he soon slipped into another topic again, giving Anya a weak grin as his thoughts slipped slightly.

"Oh, and talking about Kansas will have to wait until we aren't as likely to die.  What should I call you two by the way?  What's in my head shouldn't be repeated in polite company after all, and I doubt your names are Dorothy and Toto, even if I did see the Tin Woman earlier..."

Hmm.  Maybe he should stop with the Wizard of Oz references.  Nah.

Just Visiting: Dimension-jumping adventures inside... - tanith - 12-08-2014

"Blah blah blah" Victoria rolled her eyes and tilt her head from side to side as the woman continued to talk. She was very much aware of how childish it was, but her patience was thin and it was all she could do to keep herself from throwing a tantrum. It was very possible for her to throw a fit, but she wasn't a stupid woman and understood that throwing one here wasn't going to get her anywhere. When the woman finally quit with the sarcastic and biting remarks Victoria sighed and watched her from the corner of her eye. Some people do strange things when they are scared, it would appear that this one got really fucking nasty. At least she was being quiet for now.

"Hmm...towel.." Towels were certainly the most useful thing in the universe, or so they say. It was a little damp from her fall in the swamp, her her pack seemed to protect the contents somehow. Perhaps it was coated with something? Aw hell, who cares, as long as the items inside were safe. Before she could really go searching though her pack the other person began to stir. Eyes flickered up to see what the man was up to. His lips were red with blood, and she found herself watching him blankly as he moved his arms behind his body. Before her mind could register what he was doing he yanked at the arrow stuck in his back. Victoria's head jerked back, startled and surprised that he would even do such a foolish thing.

"Wh- what are you doing?!" Immediately she rushed to his side, with towel in hand she pressed it against his wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding. She knew enough first aid to know that you don't pull out any protruding objects from the body. However, it wasn't like she could just take him to the hospital. Still, he was bleeding pretty badly and if she couldn't stop it then he was going to die. "Are you fucking stupid?"

Victoria had never actually given first aid before, although she did get very high scores on the little quiz that they give you at the end of the course. So far she was doing just fine, but she couldn't quite control the panicked feeling rising up from her chest. The blood was making her feel queasy, and it seemed as if she could not get it to stop. She applied more pressure to the wound, and made failed attempts at appearing calm. At least he wasn't freaking out as much as she was, going on about Kansas and Toto tin woman, or whoever the fuck. At least he was trying to talk, perhaps if she spoke back calmly she could think of something in the meantime.

"Vi-Victoria." Her voice quivered. "Sorry for yelling at you, but you really shouldn't have done that. But you are right, we do need to find a way out of here."