alonimi
Guest of the King [Closed] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+--- Forum: Incomplete (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Thread: Guest of the King [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=511)

Pages: 1 2 3

Guest of the King [Closed] - Hobo_Bob - 11-30-2014

It hurt. The pain went up and down her leg, locking up her foot so it became a really bad charlie horse. But still, she didn't let him go or flinch away from him when he held onto her. One hand moved from his arm to wrap around his shoulders, supporting herself a little better on him while she lifted her left leg and carefully rotating it a few times.

"N-no, it's just a little pain. Could I have my arm around your shoulder while we walk? It is easier on my leg..." Sophiana looked up into his face while she asked. It was hard to admit that she needed the help, but better than pretending she didn't. But he was very close. Not terribly close, but enough that she saw the speckles of colors in his eyes and the mint on his lips. She couldn't help the smile on her lips before she leaned forward and pressed her forehead against his.

"Do not worry too much, Arjun. You will get wrinkles looking so concerned." She pushed her forehead against his a little, trying to show that he was making a face much like a concerned parent. "You are too young to have wrinkles. Unless they are from smiling. Come, one time down the hall and back, and we can have tea. There are dreams or memories I wish to tell you."

Sophi pulled her head away from his, but kept one arm in his and her other around his shoulders. It was much easier, now that he was close to her to move. Alot less hurt like this.

Guest of the King [Closed] - Tindome - 12-06-2014

"Of course," he said automatically, though this meant bending down a little uncomfortably to be sure she could reach. He wrapped his arm around her, beneath her own, to help support her in turn; but when she pressed her forehead to his, it caught him off-guard and made him flush. He wouldn't recoil, or try to turn his head away, as much as his instinct lead him to do so. What a strange woman she was, to be hurt so badly and behave so affectionately, when she had not even memories to call her own.

"I am not that young," he muttered, averting his gaze; threads of silver in his hair and an ache in knees when the weather got cold. Not old yet, either, but he felt old. Surrounded by girls who baffled and occasionally infuriated him, accidental father figure to an island of waifs. It was enough to make anyone feel old.

"Just to the end of the hall, then," he agreed, eager to have it done with as quick as they could without hurting her. He wanted her safe and comfortable in bed, swaddled in cushions and with no chance that his clumsiness might hurt her. Not that he was a clumsy man, far from it, but comparatively speaking he felt as graceful as a brick. He followed her lead as they moved, cautious and careful, watching their feet more than anything in case their limbs betrayed them.

Guest of the King [Closed] - Hobo_Bob - 12-10-2014

Sophiana closed her eyes as the moment paused. Just for a fraction of a second, long enough for her to feel the heat of his skin against her forehead as well as his breath wash along her skin. Arjun was warm, terribly comfortable that as he lowered himself a little to wrap his arm around her waist - effectively bringing them closer together - she couldn't help the soft sigh. Muscles relaxed against him, giving some weight to him while she let her legs and side rest a moment. Most of the pain was kept away due to the herbs and tonics she was given, but some pains would not go away.

And taking more than she was prescribed could lead to worse things.

His admission to his age broke the spell of warmth that was wrapped around her, spilling the chill in the air down her back like a bucket of ice. Involuntarily, she shivered against his side and rose her free hand to pull the wrap around her shoulders to her mouth, as if to keep her lips and chin warm would help. "You might not-....feel as if you are young, but you are...." her voice trailed off and she faulted in a step before slowly continuing, "....how old do you think I am? I feel perhaps not yet fifty-five, but a good nights rest sometimes plays tricks on the eyes...."

Her chuckle was gentle and warm, yet mindful of the fact that her heart was terrified of everything. She worked at the concealment of her expressions to not show the fear. That panic one had when something important was misplaced. But in this case it wasn't just an object, it was her life. Something simple as her age was made light of, but she really felt as if she needed to know. Or get a close idea of it all.

Guest of the King [Closed] - Tindome - 12-28-2014

Having not the slightest inkling of what was going through her mind, Arjun only knew that she seemed very relaxed, under the circumstances. It was reassuring to think that she found him trustworthy, enough that she not only was willing to entrust him with his safety, but comfortable. And if she was pale and delicate and soft, he chose not to notice those things, because he did not want to be the sort of person that would.

What he did notice was when she shivered, drew the shawl closer around herself. It was not the kind of shiver he associated with pain, nor the kind of expression on her face. He noticed no draft that could explain such behavior, and therefore could only assume he had said something he shouldn't have. Perhaps she had not realized how old he was? He'd thought it quite obvious just to look at him, but maybe in the place she'd been from, the place she could not remember, they showed their age differently.

But why would she care about his age? He didn't think he had behaved in any untoward way, but he was struck with the thought that she might think him a creepy old man. If he had behaved too intimately–

Her question derailed his train of thought entirely, though his steps did not falter. She sounded very genuine, and that puzzled him all the more. "At my age," he said cautiously, "one tends to categorize those younger into broad categories. Everyone younger than twenty appears to me to be a child, and everyone under thirty looks to be barely more than a child. I cannot imagine you to be older than thirty, and certainly not by much. But I am far from reliable in such assessments."

Guest of the King [Closed] - Hobo_Bob - 01-04-2015

Her eyes stole glances at him while they moved down the hall, but mainly focused on the path ahead by a step or two. Determined not to take too long and force him to stoop down to hold her for too long, she moved perhaps a little faster than she normally would want to. But something about the air around him stirred some rush into her. Forced her legs to reach that much further to take larger steps and maintain a steady speed. Not quick, but faster than her usual shuffle.

A hitch in her breath and a soft gasp as they moved past the stairs and the top of the servant girl Leiann's head could be seen. The thought of hot tea and something to eat made her stomach churn a little. The food here was strange sometimes, and often the things that looked the worst were the most tasty. Sophiana sucked on her bottom lip and made a soft hum, a little song if you would, as she realized the girl was going down the stairs, not up. Had she been in the Linen closet with one of the bottles of leftover wine again, she was sure to be accosted by the head house keeper or the cook in the kitchens. Again.

Her mind wondered for a moment as the silence stretched on, and then he spoke. Truth be told, it was mere seconds but none the less. "Barely thirty..." Sophi stopped walking and looked up into Arjuns face, peering into his eyes with a mix of feelings about his reply, "Not a child, but only just barely-....a woman, I suppose, since that is how you view it...." her words were soft and a little breathless as she looked up at him. An empty expression as she simply stared into his eyes.

For a moment, she wondered what that meant for her. Not a child, but only just. And it wasn't a conclusive age, just a guess from an experienced man. Either it meant that she looked older than she really was, or that she looked younger. And if that was so, could she dare to....?

Gold speckled brown eyes stared fixedly on his face all the while she sucked and nibbled on her inner cheek. The thoughts not wanting to be even mentioned in her mind yet before she knew more about herself. At least what her favorite way to eat eggs was. Or if she even liked eggs.

Her shawl slipped from her fingers and fell along her leg. Then, a funny little smile cracked the stare and her eyes once more lit up as she warmly grinned up at him. "Thank you, Arjun." her other arm moved up around his other shoulder, pulling her self into him for an embrace. There was little strength in her arms and she nearly dangled from his neck - her toes lightly kissing the floor - all the while she held him, "...That helps me a little bit more..."

Guest of the King [Closed] - Tindome - 01-15-2015

If she was more attentive to him than was necessary, if she pushed herself for his sake, Arjun did not notice. Not because he was inattentive, but because these were things he tended not to notice. Even before he had been King, the behaviors and lives of other servants within the castle had not been something he ever cared to notice. If they were not in his library, if they were not in his way, then what reason did he have to notice what they did or why?

Being King meant he probably ought to have tried to be better about that kind of thing. To a certain extent, he was. He cared now about the safety of his subjects, where they were employed and why, that they were at least content if not happy. He cared about Sophiana and what had happened to her, when before it would not have been a matter of his concern.

He missed not needing to worry about things not shelved in leather.

Barely a woman, she said, which by his own standards was technically accurate. It sounded strange when she said it, anyway. "Woman enough, I'm sure," he said, and only after he'd said it did he decide that it made things worse. Better, probably, to have let her have the thought and leave it well enough alone.

Just one of many reasons he generally preferred not being made to say words.

Only because he felt somewhat awkward did he notice her gaze, though he tried not to be too obviously self-conscious. There seemed to be an odd twist to her mouth, perhaps thoughtful, though not knowing what was in her mind meant he could only guess. It could as easily have been that she had something stuck in her teeth.

Whatever he thought, it came as a surprise when she embraced him, not least because it seemed too active for her state. But also because most people knew better than to try and hug him, because his were not a particularly touchy people, because being hugged was almost never something that occurred to him as a possibility. His hands went to her waist as a reflex, not wanting her to fell over and hurt herself yet worse than she had. "I am pleased to have been of use to you," he said finally, which was not very articulate, but he could think of nothing else to say. It was true, anyway.

He was really very bad at this.

Guest of the King [Closed] - Hobo_Bob - 01-24-2015

His admission that she was barely a women, and yet woman enough was enough to make anyone's head hurt in the process of trying to think of what that meant. Then again, perhaps there wasn't anything more to his words than as they sounded. Some people said the words on their mind with no hidden meaning. Those puzzles that didn't need a lot of work to de-code.

That could be Arjun.

As she held him, straining her legs and arms to hold onto him and reach around his shoulders to embrace him, Sophiana ignored the pains that this movement caused. She felt Arjuns warmth and his hands on her waist, keeping her from falling as well as the scent that seemed to follow him. Of old books. That musty scent, and then fresh rain. Taking a breath of his scent, she found herself slowly clinging to him for a short period of time. Long enough that his words settled without a reply and her gentle smile twisting into a bit of a frown while her hands grasped into his clothes.

"Then-....perhaps you could do me one more service....I believe my walk is done now, yet I feel no strength in me to-....move and return to my room." A shiver ran down her body, a tremble that signaled the strain she put herself in by wanting to embrace him.

Stupid, foolish 'child', she berated herself while she leaned against Arjun for support.

Guest of the King [Closed] - Tindome - 01-27-2015

For a time, she did not move; perhaps she needed to catch her breath, or so he guessed, based on how deeply she seemed to breathe. With this assumption, it did not come as a surprise to him that she would ask for his assistance getting back to her quarters. "It is no inconvenience," he assured her, because he considered the situation as much his fault as her own. "I apologize for allowing us to get so far astray." The way she clung to him made him feel guilty, as though he had put her in a situation where she was yet more helpless. "Only give me a moment – I will try not to cause you discomfort."

He knelt, one arm around her waist and another going underneath her legs so that he could hold her much as he had when he'd first found her. He couldn't tell if she was shivering from the cold or from pain, but he hoped that holding her against his chest would resolve the issue either way. He checked that she had not dropped her shawl, or any other such thing, held her as gently as he could so as not to put undue pressure on anything.

Taking a few steps back toward her room, he hesitated. "Is this comfortable?" he asked. "Was there anything else you wanted to do before we return?" Perhaps she wanted to see the view from elsewhere, something more interesting than what she could see from her room.

Guest of the King [Closed] - Hobo_Bob - 02-05-2015

She held his shoulders firmly, but not with any strenght. For she had none spare that wasn't used to keep her from crumbling into the floor and holding her wounds. But Arjun, being the gentleman he was, did not fluster of falter in agreeing to help her back into her room where her pain medications were as well as the fluffy bed where she floated safely.

"No, you didn't do anything....it's-...ah..." Her words were cut off when she looked down at their feet, a throb beginning just behind her eyes from the injuries to her head. It caused her to pause long enough to hear him move away and then down. She knew she was not moving, yet Arjun was. Sophi held herself still, thinking maybe he had dropped something.

Until the stone floors swept away from under her and she felt the warmth of a body gently holding her close. Her eyes had been unfocused and her mind in a slight fog that she barely heard him speak before she was in his arms, carried much as he had the day they first met.

Glad for once of her thin, light frame and ill composure was useful in the fact she was not that heavy. Not weightless, but hopefully not too much for the librarian. Once she was in his arms, she moved her arm from around his shoulders to settle on her lap with the other, making her lean a little closer to his warmth.

"Hmm~....y-yes, i'm very comfortable. Thank you." a red blush filled her cheeks as she stole a glance up at Arjun. So close to him, and yet she has been closer to him before. Somehow this was different. "Uhm...maybe-....if it is not too far, the library? I'd like to see it, since weather doesn't permit a visit at the moment...."

Guest of the King [Closed] - Tindome - 02-18-2015

Arjun did not expect that she would ask much of him, except to be brought back to comfort and safety. Legs that would not carry her and a spine that would not stay straight, to carry her could feel no kinder to her head. Old Woman Josie would doubtless be displeased with him no matter what he did with her at this juncture. He would be lectured for failing to assist her in exercising, he would be lectured for not leaving her in bed, he would be lectured for not giving her a certain medicine at a certain time in a certain way. There were no right answers, here.

It at least worked in his favor that she did not find it unpleasant or offensive to be carried, which he found easier than the alternatives. It helped, in this regard, that she was so small; but it was not a preference specific to her. His life would be much simpler if he could simply move people about as he saw fit, picking them up to get them out of his way or to put them where they wanted to go. Easier than giving direction, Kingly authority or no.

Her request to see the library was surprising, though it probably should not have been. Sophiana had been showing an interest in the books they had available since her arrival, a hunger for words. She would not be dissuaded by her physical ailments, and now that he was acting as her legs she wished to take advantage. He could not begrudge her the desire.

"Ah – it is not far at all. It is a part of the palace, though most of it is underground. The upper floors are… not used." The cold and the damp were bad for the books, bad for the stone that would crumble on top of them, bad for most things. Warmer, drier, safer underground. "As with most of our buildings, it is not quite so nice to look at from the outside. From within, perhaps, but not from without." He had already begun walking in the appropriate direction, towards the maze of halls and stairs that would take them to the first floor of the library. A side door, but the one he used most often, regardless.

Guest of the King [Closed] - Hobo_Bob - 02-23-2015

Perhaps her request was a bit odd, seeing as how she was in a bad state. But it didn't matter anymore. The pain would always be there and so would that hunger for something sweet. Not a fruit or bread, but like the small sweeties that one of her maids ate often. Sophi not only wanted to have hot bread and drink, nor just something sweet, she wanted to be in good company and to feel warmth.

Arjun was both of those for her.

He didn't talk much, but when he did it was better conversation than the young maids. The few times they did touch, he always felt warm. In his arms once more, she felt his heat and breathed in his scent.

They moved then, her head settled along his shoulder and her nose pressed into the crook of his neck to feel the wool of his clothes along her cheek and forehead. To say he was cuddly would be inaccurate. He was cool and off putting, aloof and still he showed concern for her. Sophiana wanted to ask why, wanted to speak as he told her the general location of the library. But her words were 'hmm'-ed and 'ahh'-ed, showing she was hearing him but vaguely aware.

"I think that it is wise to keep the library safe underground. The weather is very wet here....and chilly." her body gave a little shiver and she curled against his body more. The arm not trapped between his body and her own came up and lightly grasped at his collar. Holding, and yet not clinging.

Once they came upon the stares, Sophiana looked up into his face to see if he was straining to hold her and use the stairs at the same time. True, he did not seem to be having troubles with her weight, but even so. Stairs could be tricky.

Guest of the King [Closed] - Tindome - 03-28-2015

Arjun frowned as Sophiana trembled in his arms, seeming to want to hold on to him tightly. Was she cold, or frightened? Could he do anything for her, regardless? He wasn't convinced that he could. What good was warmth or courage to a librarian? Not half so useful as a good memory and a bit of strength.

"Do you need another shawl?" he asked. The only other one he had was around his waist, and she seemed quite bundled up already besides. But it seemed the thing to do to ask, if only to be hospitable.

Muskaptilians were generally about as hospitable as Muskaptilo – which was to say, not very – and their king was no exception. Usually he was less hospitable than most. A wounded woman constituted special circumstances, but it was obvious how out-of-practice he was at being accommodating.

The stairs were not an issue, having carried heavier things in stranger ways. Opening the door to the library while holding a woman was tricky business, and he jostled her more than he would have liked to in the process. Still, in the end they were where they'd meant to go.

"We are here," he said, as if it were not immediately obvious. Though less impressive than it was if one came through the main doors, it was still quite the sight, enormous bookshelves carved out of stone spanning multiple stories. Light streamed down from above, glowed soft from glass lanterns on the walls. The enormity of it gave the impression that it was too large a place to have fit on such a small island, tall and wide and not at all the claustrophobic maze that was the rest of the castle she'd seen so far. Dragons decorated the stone, heads jutting out at the corners of the shelves, and the floor was inlaid with fractals spiraling outward.

None of the shelves were labeled, despite the seemingly infinite spines of leather and cloth and sometimes bone. After all: that was what the librarian was for.

Guest of the King [Closed] - Hobo_Bob - 04-05-2015

She gave him a little smile, crooked and lazy from the exhaustion, but still managed to seem cheerful. "N-no no. Thank you for the consideration, but I'm warm enough." She knew that the chill she felt was more from the idea of being cold, a reflex she seemed to have from being in cool weather, and not from any real temperature difference. Somehow, the climate didn't seem to be very appealing to her.

Sun shine and warmth needed to be on the island. Perhaps then it would help with the melancholy emotions she felt without reason.

They remained quiet as he carried her down stairs and she did not even whimper when he adjusted her so he could open the door. She remained against his body, pressed into his chest and curled into herself to remain warm and keep as close to his scent as she could and not appear to be clinging. Or so she hoped.

But her mind didn't dwell on those thoughts for too long once she saw the library.

The dragons and shelves carved in stone didn't seem to match the rest of the castle. Plain walls and little to no decoration seemed to be about. At least in the hall she had walked along. But they were lit up by the glow of delicate glass lanterns. Down below, in the depths of the castle and the library, it somehow seemed more relaxed and warm. The smell of paper and ink, of old books and dust with stone and leather blended in the air to something like what Arjun smelled like.

With no consideration as to why, she bluntly sat up in his arms and inhaled at his neck. His hair mingling with hers as she did so, pressing herself against him as she breathed in his scent and then pulled away to waft air around them into her face. All the while, breathing deeply of the library. "Hmmm~.....Now I know where that scent comes from...." chuckling, Sophiana motioned to one of the bookshelfs and pointed to it's contents with her hand.

"Books. You always smell of books. It clings to you and your clothes. I even think I could sense you coming before I see you.....I-...don't mean it negatively, of course. Please don't be angry..." it was now she realized what she had done, and what she had said. It was inconsiderate and bordered on impropriety. Arjun kept himself at a distance from her, seemed to do it to everyone and perhaps she was crossing a line by clinging so close to him. By mentioning his person in such a way as their smell.

Guest of the King [Closed] - Tindome - 07-05-2015

Arjun's frown deepened, because despite her claims, she still seemed to be discomfited. Did she think he was unwilling to accommodate her? He thought he had done more than enough to prove his willingness to serve her to the best of his ability. She could not be refusing due to his status, because she knew nothing about it. Perhaps she assumed a librarian to lack the necessary resources to truly make her comfortable.

Unless she was shivering from pain, and not the temperature. In which case it was possible that she did not want him to know, for fear her would return her to her bed. He resolved to keep an eye on her, to see if such behaviors persisted. He did not want to carry her away against her will, but he also would not hesitate to do so if he thought it truly necessary.

She seemed to appreciate the splendor of the library, if not as much as he did. Then again, there were few who did. The occasional scholar who travelled for months to reach them, and their enthusiasm both pleased him and made him anxious. They were the most appreciative, but they were also the most likely to try and steal some of their collection.

They had dungeons, as any self-respecting castle must, but he usually preferred to simply banish them. Leave them in the brig of the Dragonstar, and let Circe deal with them. Better that than having to deal with them himself. There had been no one in their dungeons in his lifetime, and he had hoped this would always be the case. With what had been done to Sophiana, however, that was brought into question. He might be willing to make an exception for that.

He was visibly taken aback as she seemed, suddenly, to smell him. He had not the slightest idea how to respond to such a thing. It had not, as far as he could recall, ever happened before. Should he be offended? Flattered? He didn't think that this could possibly be a common thing where she was from, because surely it would have arisen before if it was. Circe had brought home many women, and none of them had ever tried to… smell him.

"Oh," he said, blinking as she explained herself. "I suppose that makes sense," he said, though it had never occurred to him that the effect might be so pronounced. It may have been that she was possessed of a particularly sensitive nose. Or else he had not been in close contact with anyone else for long enough. "I am not angry," he assured her, though he was still mildly confused. "Was there anything in particular you wanted to look at?" His eyes left her to skim the shelves, looking for a section that might interest her.

Guest of the King [Closed] - Hobo_Bob - 08-13-2015

A sigh of relief and her body relaxed within his arms. For a moment, the expression of his eyes seemed chocked and went dark. Perhaps the darkness was from confusion, and not anger. The thoughts in his head were masked by any form of expression, yet his eyes shifted colors. Small indications of what he might be thinking or feeling when opposed to what he was showing. These things Sophiana was becoming to take note of since the first day he had visited her.

Her body gave a little shiver, making the ache in her body flare for a moment even as she tried to answer his question.

"Fiction...no....non fiction. Is there anything written about the history or the people of here, your homeland?" her reasoning was to learn more about the place she would be living in. For the time being. Her memory might return and she might have a duty to fulfill. A sudden departure from the protection of the man who held her now was a sudden sad thought. To leave was not a thought in her mind till now.

If she did remember who she was and where she belonged, would it make a difference to the librarian? If she were noble or poor. Would his treatment remain the same as if always had been? Or perhaps he was as kindly to her and attentive because of her injuries.

It seemed being around the books made her think more upon the future, and less about where she was. And with whom.

"...Or perhaps what is over on that desk...that is your reading station, is it not?" To the other end was a table with a pile of books of many kinds. Paper, leather wood and bone all piled atop each other. Some left open, some marked with a ribbon. But all looked to be large and well worn. "Are you researching, or mending some of the older volumes? Could you show me how?" Honey eyes looked up at him then as he gazed into the many shelf's heavy with words.