alonimi
Alonimi Spamstravaganza - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=73)
+--- Thread: Alonimi Spamstravaganza (/showthread.php?tid=508)

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - danixiewrites - 01-18-2015

^_^ Yes! Hubs wants to get a little workout trampoline now, so he can pull it out a half hour before bed. Presently, we just put on ACDC's Thunderstruck (her favorite song...) and let her run herself ragged in laps around the living room. Or breakdancing, which is new this week. LOL

Early on, he actually had to break ours with the sleeping, because we were well past running on fumes. She refused to go to sleep at first, and then refused to sleep through the night. We wound up being "cry it out" parents. (Only because he made me go outside and put my headphones on for an hour. But yes, eventually they do go to sleep.) After a week of that...at like, 9 months...the only time she now fails to sleep through the night/go to bed on time is when she's got a fever, or, you know, hubs terrifies her by letting her watch the Shrek Halloween special. (Gingerbread men! Oh noooooes!) O.o

It doesn't bother me if sleep schedules are more in line with work schedules--because otherwise the parents don't see them beyond bedtime, and MAYBE dinnertime, which...is the driving force behind my school/parent rant which I'll not get into. But the kid gets the sleep somewhere, even if it's like a 4 hour nap in the afternoon. <The grandparents actually tick me off with this too. Because they don't seem to understand that when the child is hyper and ridiculous and unreasonable, this is not because she's "being silly" but rather because she's overtired, and they should have put her to bed an hour ago, at 7 like we told them to (as opposed to "oh, but she was having so much fun!" *strangles*). We got her back the week after new year's and she was all out of sorts.> *grumbles* Kids are much better behaved when they have adequate sleep and food.

Kind of like us adults. I'm not sure why the logic doesn't follow. Smile

Anywho. I'm sure she'll pick up this afternoon--the coffee is starting to work on me, so I know her energy must be getting close. Bwha.

Edit: Sorry that was so freakishly long--not that that's unusual, but still--got a phone call and didn't get a chance to cull XD

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - Blade - 01-18-2015

LOL!!!! No worries. I wasn't directing it at you. I have a friend who lets his 4 year old stay up until 4 in the morning because--I personally feel--he can't be bothered to make her go to fucking sleep. And he stays up too. Or he did. I'm not sure how it is now since we don't talk much because he's busy busy. But, she'd get up at like noon or something. And just felt wrong to me because, hello, shouldn't you be prepping her to start school? It'd be one thing if they planned on home schooling, you know? But, they're putting both kids in public school. So, yeah, it irks me.

But, I'm probably also a little biased in that he's my artist for my books. And whenever I went to see him for a few days, when he traveled or I did, the little girl would be with him at the diner at night while we needed to work. And I'm like, "...can't you put her to bed and let Becca (his wife) take care of it?" Like, for one night?! And he's all, "Not really." For real?! Ugh.

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - danixiewrites - 01-19-2015

I would not be able to do that to my kid. Seriously. She'd be so miserable. You can see it in their cute little faces when they're out of sync. :P There's a concept--should be a night school option available for kids of parents who work the graveyard shifts. *ducks* XD

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - Blade - 01-19-2015

Yeah, it would be nice, huh? 'Cause not all kids learn at the same rate at the same time of day. Some kids do better at night than others do at day. I guess at least they have online school for kids now, but still... ya know?

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - danixiewrites - 01-19-2015

Tonight be a Bailey's and hot cocoa night. *cheers* Stay warm, y'all! Smile

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - Kat - 01-20-2015

I think I've had so much coffee at this point, I could bleed it.

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - Blade - 01-20-2015

The weekend is over and already and I'm ever-waiting for the next one. Is is just me or have the last 2-3 months felt just... meh? My groove has been off because of holidays, school, and crap that just don't seem right.

...Or the universe is finally imploding.

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - Tindome - 01-20-2015

The last few months have just been crazy hectic for everyone, I think. And also possibly seasonally depressing. I posted more when I was on a mountain and could only get access on my phone from atop a viewing tower, jfc.

I WILL DO BETTER I SWEAR even if I am also working on an original story and stuff >w>;;

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - Panda - 01-20-2015

I hate life. I honestly do.

That is all. Just saying. Also, hi.

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - Blade - 01-21-2015

Don't feel bad, Tinny. My life has been equally eh. And I really need to be working on my original stuff. Blarg.

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - Tindome - 01-21-2015

I'm trying out the free trial of Scrivener (I've tried it out before but ultimately I never end up buying it because the fullscreen writing mode kind of sucks in Windows). Anyway, I'm trying to make an epub, and does anyone know: why it keeps putting like five empty pages after the cover; if there is a way to embed fonts in this thing.

Everything I'm seeing about embedding fonts in an epub is all about manually editing the CSS and that seems hard. I just want a neat chapter title font! GEEZE

also does anyone want to test this epub to see if it works for people who aren't me. It is the same raw unedited mess that is on AO3, I just need to make sure the formatting is working.

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - danixiewrites - 01-21-2015

<quote source="/post/4018/thread" author="@Tindome" timestamp="1421856778]I'm trying out the free trial of Scrivener (I've tried it out before but ultimately I never end up buying it because the fullscreen writing mode kind of sucks in Windows). Anyway, I'm trying to make an epub, and does anyone know: why it keeps putting like five empty pages after the cover; if there is a way to embed fonts in this thing.

Everything I'm seeing about embedding fonts in an epub is all about manually editing the CSS and that seems hard. I just want a neat chapter title font! GEEZE

also does anyone want to test this epub to see if it works for people who aren't me. It is the same raw unedited mess that is on AO3, I just need to make sure the formatting is working.[/quote]Windows Scriv?
1) Is it not letting you select the font on the Formatting tab of the compiler? 2) Is it a font you can distribute? Some of them require secondary licensing...*shrugs*

As for the blank pages...you could have additional front matter pages checked when you don't need them, or be using a symbol for a separator that you didn't intend to be used for that purpose.  Or have page breaks in one of the documents....poke around the compile settings--there's a craaaaapton of checkboxes.

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - Tindome - 01-21-2015

Yup! I had hoped that by now they would have caught up fullscreen in Windows to the stuff you can do with fullscreen on a Mac... but still no dice. ;-; I just miss ZenWriter tbh

I've tried setting the font in the heading formatting settings, but it defaults back to user-set fonts only when I actually apply it. It's has free eBook licensing but it looks like it is not actually embedding/hardcoding it, wah.

Weirdly the space doesn't show up if I have my reader set to free scrolling mode, only when I have pagination enabled. owo And it shows up different depending on what reader I'm using! Aaaaaaah. *flailflail* NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE USE PDFS

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - Blade - 01-21-2015

<quote source="/post/4018/thread" author="@Tindome" timestamp="1421856778]I'm trying out the free trial of Scrivener (I've tried it out before but ultimately I never end up buying it because the fullscreen writing mode kind of sucks in Windows). Anyway, I'm trying to make an epub, and does anyone know: why it keeps putting like five empty pages after the cover; if there is a way to embed fonts in this thing.

also does anyone want to test this epub to see if it works for people who aren't me. It is the same raw unedited mess that is on AO3, I just need to make sure the formatting is working.[/quote]-personally love Scrivener... is still learning though-

I'm not sure about the fonts. I know if you're doing mobi, as in for kindle, then you're probably gonna have to insert an images as the chapter title. I think they try to keep epub simple on purpose. (Or, you know, just to bug us writers.)

I DO KNOW if you have issues with Scrivener you can go to their forums and ask for help. Peeps are really good about getting back to you soonish.

Alonimi Spamstravaganza - danixiewrites - 01-21-2015

Is it a unicode font? Colbert

Scrivener for Mac *happy sigh* I remember being so jelly of my friend for two words: Revision Mode. The dev for Windows does an awesome job catching it up, though, and 2015 has a couple big releases planned.  But...I've got my settings way far off of default so it works with my process.  (Color coding ftw!)

The forums are an excellent idea. They've never failed me. Although. Your issues are special.  I'm sure someone can save you, and right quick. 

Things always look different depending on the reader.  And how an individual user sets their font sizes.  Which is why the stylesheet embed is probably going to wind up being the way to go, rather than the straight compile--unless you forgo the fancy.  Smile  The extra pages definitely sounds like a pagebreak issue to me.  Word is crappy about extra junk in the background, but any time I've poked at Scriv file coding, I haven't had a problem.  If it's not grabbing anything extra due to a setting, can you check the file itself for hidden lines of goo?