alonimi
The One Night Stand || Open - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Contemporary (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Forum: Valesport (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Thread: The One Night Stand || Open (/showthread.php?tid=503)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: The One Night Stand || Open - megs - 10-26-2016

Miss Haven. She wasn't prepared for the rush of fragmented memories that came from the name. Hands encompassing her waist like they were made to fill the space, plucking her from a chair like an unruly child. A near scolding tone telling her that she was an accident waiting to happen. Seemingly countless moments of almost kisses and hesitant touches suddenly bubbled to the forefront of her memory.

And he fit perfectly into all of them. Grey eyes and cocky half smiles filled the empty spaces in her mind. Rylan fought with herself. Did he fit because he belonged there or because she wanted him to? Could he explain why black coffee tasted like a good morning kiss or why Christmas carols made her sad? Rylan tilted her head down, pressing her cheek against his chest. There was a press of something hard beneath the fabric of his shirt, like a necklace.

Her eyes dropped to the ring he wore. A simple gold band. She didn't recall having a ring of her own. Well, she recalled having a lot of rings, but all of them could be attributed to a purchase or an inheritance. If they'd been married what had happened to her rings? Had they been taken? Or had she simply lost them along with her supposed memories of him.

“It doesn't bother me,” she replied, even though it should have. She had an inexplicable aversion to her birth name. From anyone else it caused her skin to crawl, her stomach to turn, but that didn't happen with him. Honestly, she liked the sound of her name on his lips.

The obvious question popped into her head as she leaned against him, listening to the sound of his pulse racing. Her ears swirled, the tufted ends brushing against his neck. “If you are my husband and we are married, why don't I remember you?”

RE: The One Night Stand || Open - saronym - 10-26-2016

Edges of the wedding band setting pressed uncomfortably against the skin of his chest under the weight of Rylan’s head. Owen shifted her momentarily to pull the necklace out from under his shirt and over his head. Without taking the ring from the necklace he held the engagement band out to her as he had years before. Her matching gold wedding ring and his dog tags dangled from the chain below like ripe fruit. I bought this ring for you.

“That isn’t an easy explanation.” Owen admitted without addressing the ring he held out for her to take if she wished to examine for herself. When he talked, his chin brushed the tips of her ears. Owen let his face fall against the crown of her head, displacing her ears when he did so. He pressed his cheek against her hair and closed his eyes. “Truth be told you are really my widow.” He said from the darkness behind his eyelids.

Widow. He used the word reluctantly feeling a wave of loss and guilt wash over him. He had left her. She cried the entire time, Darcias had said.

“I was in a dangerous line of work.” He said into her scalp. Lips brushing where hair grew. This was the only way he found he could explain his death at that moment. Owen was trying to be careful with his words. Still feeling emotionally raw, he hadn’t dealt with his assassination in any way. Hadn’t grieved for himself, if that was a thing he was supposed to have done. Hadn’t let himself tap into the deep well of rage, indignation, and betrayal that stewed underneath.

The dead weren’t supposed to come back. He wasn’t supposed to have to deal with these emotions anyway.

“Kama and Darcias felt you weren’t handling yourself well afterwards.” Tiptoeing on ice. He still hadn’t even said he had died. Just implied it. I died. I left you. I failed.

“Darcias took your memories of me. I suppose they felt it might cure you of your grief.” He waved his hand pushing any excuses he could make for them away. Anger rising. Lifting his head from her hair, Owen moved her forcing her to look him in the eyes.

“Fuck that. It wasn't for your well-being. They did it to control you. Kama never liked that you did whatever you pleased and that I played a part in encouraging that.” He clamped his jaw shut resisting the urge to disparage his brother-in-law. He ground his teeth for a moment in silence, working out the anger that threatened to boil over.

“Elliot is apparently a talented necromancer.” He added to explain his presence. “So happy birthday, you can have your husband back now." He said forcing a smile that really only creased the skin at his cheeks. "Although, I don’t believe that was really the intent behind Elliot’s decision to meddle with the dead.”

RE: The One Night Stand || Open - megs - 10-26-2016

Rylan lifted her head just enough so he could get to whatever he was working at. Ears pricked to attention as he silently held the ring out to her. She lifted a hand to reach for it, but paused, fingers poised and hesitant to make contact with the jewelry. A trio of diamonds in a simple setting sparkled even in the dim lighting of the bar, a matching band hung further down. She rolled her eyes up to look at him, as if asking permission, but she didn’t wait for a confirmation before she took the ring from him.

Her ears fell to either side to make room for him, and she didn’t protest the way he pressed his face against her. She turned the ring in her fingers as he spoke. Carefully, she unclasped the beaded chain to slide the rings off of it. Widow. The word resounded in her ears as she let the dog tags pool onto the table.

I can help you. You have to let me help you.

Her own voice in her mind, but she didn’t remember saying the words. She slid the rings onto the proper finger and somehow she wasn’t surprised that they fit perfectly. Wasn’t surprised that the weight of them didn’t bother her, like they had always been there. A dangerous line of work. She thought back to the patches on his bomber jacket. Lieutenant General. Special Reconnaissance. Dangerous indeed.

I fucking swear if you don’t come back I won't forgive you.

He spoke of her siblings like he knew them, and if she were to take him at his words, he did. Rylan vaguely remembered a funeral. It had been raining, but she couldn’t remember who had died. She looked away from the rings and up at him again when he moved her. She could see the mix of anger and hurt in his eyes.

“That certainly sounds like Kama,” she murmured. She may have been the queen, but Kama was the head of the Darkwillow house and had always wanted things a certain way for them. Before they had split and formed families of their own the siblings had been the last of the Darkwillow line for almost a century. Kama had had skewed visions on how to preserve that. A quick anger bubbled up inside her. "They had no right to do this. If what you're saying is true, I don't know if I could forgive them."

Her brow furrowed when he mentioned her third sibling. Somehow it felt right that Elliot would have a part in this mess. If it were true. She was having a hard time finding reasons not to believe Owen. He had facts and physical evidence, he had answers to her questions. Rylan’s eyes squeezed shut, she huffed a short sigh as she pinched the bridge of her nose. “This is… a very strange birthday gift,” she replied, trying for a joke and ultimately failing to produce the right tone.

The setting of the bar suddenly felt loud and crowded as it contested with her struggle with so much new information. “Can we...uhm. Can we get out of here? Talk somewhere else? I have an apartment a few blocks from here.”

RE: The One Night Stand || Open - megs - 11-12-2016

Aisling’s expression changed from gentle concern to heartfelt sympathy. A softening of her furrowed brow, the corners of her mouth falling into a slight frown. Her hand smoothed upwards from Taiga’s elbow to her shoulder, fingers eventually lifting to gently touch her jaw. “I’m so sorry,” she expressed softly, knowing fulling well was Des meant to Taiga. They did not talk of Taiga’s personal life too often, but there were few precious details she was comfortable enough to let slip.

Tilting her head to attempt to catch her gaze, Aisling moved closer to her beau. She fingered the edges of Taiga’s favorite leather jacket as she cursed the woman at fault for this bad news, Yellow eyes moved across stormy features. “Do you want to leave?” she asked, unsure of how to deal with the situation. Her love was so much more complicated than herself, so she proceeded with caution. Though complex, inhuman, and guarded the fortune tell could still tell when tears were likely imminent.

“Yeah, we’ll go,” she decided in a whisper. She moved to gather her things and shove them back in the messenger bag. She glanced to where Owen and Rylan sat, and she hoped things were going well. They seemed to be sitting very close to she was left to assume something had gone right. Throwing her messenger bag over her shoulder so moved back to Taiga. “Just tell me what you need, babe. I’m here for you.”