alonimi
Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Repository (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] (/showthread.php?tid=496)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 02-23-2016

The Trouble With
Part Two

kreska
osiris lunar colony

"So that's unlawful possession of a live game animal—"

"Game animal?"

"—at the very least, but I guarantee you this qualifies as criminally negligent homicide."

Kreska continued smoking her cigarette, unperturbed. The rocaburra was perched on her shoulder. It was probably the only reason Officer Liao hadn't cuffed her; he knew better than to risk a bite, much as he might have wanted to. He was the only one who ever bothered.

"Kept 'is hands to'mself an' he'd'a been fine," Kreska pointed out. "Self d'fense."

"It's not self defense if the one doing the defending is an illegally trafficked animal."

"Didn' traffic shit," she said. "Found it. Ain' illegal t'find a thing."

"It is if you take it and keep it knowing that it's illegal."

"I didn' know't was illegal. Figgered it was just a l'il rat thing. Rats're legal."

"Rats aren't extraordinary lethal."

"Ain' lethal t'me. Plentya shit'll kill me ain't illegal, only fair's I get a thing'r two."

Officer Liao rubbed his hands over his face, his skin reddening as he grew more frustrated with her, a familiar expression. "Put that thing into a fucking box," he said, "or I'm adding resisting arrest to the list of charges."

"Y'know if ya wanna talk t'Lio y'ain't gotta use me as a middleman, right? Y'can just call 'im."

"This has nothing to do with him," Liao snapped, turning redder. "And don't call him that."

"Th'fuck d'you care what I call 'im?"

"I don't. I don't give a fuck. About either of you. I shouldn't even be giving you the chance to defend yourself. I'm shooting that fucking thing and you're under arrest."

Kreska grinned, smoke billowing out between her teeth as she dropped her cigarette, her eyes looking past Liao to somewhere over his shoulder. "Yer timing's fuckin' perf," she said gleefully. "Go on an' shoot th' l'il fluffball right off m'shoulder, make it real violent an' all." She waved at the news drone hovering at the minimum allowed distance from the scene, trying to get its attention. Liao tried to grab her arms to stop her flailing, but the rocaburra hissed and he recoiled. His superior officer had noticed the minor commotion and was already on his way over, probably to pull Liao aside and talk to him about optics.

"You're a spoiled little shit, Robinson," he said with an accusatory finger, and she shrugged, looking away and pretending it didn't bother her when he called her that. "One of these days you're going to learn the hard way that you're not above the law. No matter who your parents are."

» So I did a little research because I knew you wouldn't.
    ☠» bc idgaf
    » Thank you, Fate.
    » You're welcome, Kreska.
    ☠» lol
    » Aside from being definitely dangerous and also illegal
    » rocaburra are born with red fur.
    » Adults are orange.
    » Your little buddy there is an old man.
    » Or an old woman.
    » Possibly both, there's a lot of confusion on that point.
    » There hasn't been a whole lot of research.
    » What with the deadly neurotoxin and all.
    ☠» k
    » You could at least pretend to be interested.
    » You're always so anticlimactic.
    ☠» you just haven't done anything climax worthy
    » I think the bite is finally having an effect on you.
    » That seemed suspiciously flirtatious.
    » Should I send a medbot?
    ☠» not what i meant
    » So I -have- been climax-worthy?
    ☠» bet if i tried i could fit this weird hamster in ur urethra
    » Duly noted.

Kreska brought the rocaburra to the highest sector in the Southern Quadrant. Technically speaking, only authorized personnel were allowed to be up there. Unlike the other quadrants, the highest sector in Southern was strictly equipment, specialized machines that filtered all the byproducts of fuel creation back out into the vacuum of space. Junk from every quadrant ended up in Southern eventually. Interference could result in the whole station exploding. Or, more likely, a debris backup in Southern that would result in a quadrant-wide quarantine. It would also be extremely easy for someone to misstep and end up liquified or crushed or sucked out into the void.

Kreska went there a lot.

Aside from having a fantastic view of the actual gas giant Osiris, it got the best reception. She sat on a cozy nook of concrete and steel, and slowly turned the dial on her old interstellar radio. They weren't supposed to sell those to civilians anymore, but there was a thriving black market for people who wanted to eavesdrop. Eventually she found the station she'd been looking for, the gentle strumming of an acoustic guitar or something that sounded a lot like it.

As she pulled the rocaburra out of her pocket to set it in her lap, the music faded, and a mechanized voice began to recite numbers in a mismatched mess of old Terran languages.

"I useta know a guy," she told the ball of fluff, "who'd listen t'this shit all the time. We'd just sit around listenin' t'bullshit numbers. Different ones, back on th'station, but, like. Basically th'same shit." She stroked its fur, and while it did not try to sing along with the numbers, it also was not hostile to them. "He thought it was some fuckin'... spy conspiracy shit. I dunno. S'kinda nice, tho."

If the rocaburra was interested in this monologue, it did not say so.

For as often as she went up there, she didn't really share it. Hadn't ever brought Ixaaliot or Rocket along. Hadn't even mentioned it, really. Every now and again she might play a game with Fate, because she liked the privacy and the signal strength wasn't bad, but it wasn't like she ever mentioned her location. And she certainly didn't leave the radio on.

The rocaburra wasn't a person, though. It didn't even have a name. That didn't count.

"Feel like I'd know 'bout it'f he was dead, y'know?" she said, apropos of nothing. "His dad'd prolly ping me. He was always cool. Prolly just got, fuckin'... better shit t'do. Flyin' around an' shit."

The numbers stopped, and once again the radio began playing unfamiliar guitar chords. The rocaburra started to sing along. Eventually, so did Kreska. Not the same tune, but a sort of wordless scale that she thought would complement the sound.

The rocaburra's singing faded. The radio played on. Kreska lit up a cigarette.

» So how's the old man doing?
    ☠» dead
    » I meant the rocaburra.
    ☠» yeh
    » Oh.
    » Well that didn't take long.
    » Did you give him a viking funeral?
    ☠» nah
    ☠» flushed it
    » I don't believe that for a second.
    » Maybe for a second.
    » But no longer.
    » He was like your little sidekick.
    » Tiny, adorable, and toxic.
    » Much like a certain someone.
    ☠» is it you
    ☠» are you the someone
    » Yes.
    » Except I'm not tiny.
    » I am monstrously huge.
    ☠» i thought you said adorable
    » Adorably huge.
    ☠» that sounds like something a tiny person would say
    » You'd know better than I would.
    » Want me to get you a real hamster?
    » They live longer.
    ☠» nah
    » What about a virtual hamster?
    ☠» even more nah
    » Don't want a little friend?
    ☠» don't need friends
    » What about me?
    ☠» ?
    ☠» what about you
    » … yeah.

"Oh lordy me, didn't I shake sugaree — everything I got is done and pawned."

RE: Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 03-09-2016

Reverse Engineering
nolan
cylinder station 12

Nolan Seward was considerably smarter than most people gave him credit for. People made a lot of assumptions about a big purple guy with tusks and a station scum dialect. Particularly after he'd dropped out of high school.

(In fairness, he had an equivalent degree through testing. But people tended to forget that part.)

Nolan’s hobbies included modding antique vehicles to move faster than they had any right to, and pyrotechnics. Which sounded a lot less impressive than the equally accurate ‘rocket scientist’, but so it went.

He didn't mind. Low expectations were easy to exceed. And he could be pretty dumb sometimes, when he put his mind to it. Most of the time his best friend was involved.

Kreska Ido was a lot like a bomb: difficult to disassemble without the whole thing blowing up in your face.

Kreska blew up a lot more than his bombs did. Mostly hurt herself doing it. Still never learned her lesson. Not learning lessons was like a hobby of hers. That, and climbing all over him like a goddamn lemur.

You could learn a lot about where a person came from based on how they acted when they felt like they were home. Nolan didn't do a whole lot of engineering outside of his garage. Around Kreska he growled more, because he knew it wouldn’t mean to her what it meant to other people.

Jobari culture was a big old question mark in an otherwise thorough net database. Might be easy to assume they acted on Kotii the way they did on Allied ships, around Allied citizens. Cold and hard and safe distances, clipped tones with hard edges, head-to-toe immaculate white. Nolan didn’t think so, though.

Kreska wasn’t Jobari. Wasn’t human, either. Wasn’t just an in-between like most halvsies, was instead aggressively and pointedly neither. Trying to figure out Jobari from looking at Kreska was like trying to figure out a car based on treadmarks in the road.

Not impossible. Nolan was willing to make some educated guesses, and he was pretty confident in himself.

First: Jobari did not have a concept of personal space. As evidenced by the constant jumping on his back, on his shoulders, grabbing him and prodding at him and generally having no goddamn respect. Like a cat, was Kreska, the kind that’d bite him for petting it but climb into his lap when he wasn’t paying attention.

He wondered sometimes if she’d been more touchy-feely when she was new to the station. He wasn’t gonna ask when she’d learned better of it. Kreska had feelings like pipe bombs had ball bearings.

Second: Jobari didn’t wear clothes. Or at least, not the way they did when they were off-planet, all covered-up and chaste-looking. Made sense that they wouldn’t, when sunlight was so important.

Kreska had an issue with clothes. This had taken him a while to figure out, since she was so opposed to dudes seeing her naked, and all. But eventually she forgot that he was a dude, or else just stopped caring, or else forgot she was supposed to care.

If she happened to get a particularly impressive bruise somewhere, she would not hesitate to take her shirt off to show him. When it was hot out she sometimes did not bother with pants. Sometimes she seemed to just forget why clothes are worn and when. She had no respect for his clothes, either, and it did not seem to occur to her that maybe she shouldn’t go pulling on his shirts just because she’d decided it was her job to take care of his road rash.

Totally unnecessary. He took care of himself just fine. Didn’t need to let her go stripping him and playing doctor. She’d just as likely kill him.

Third: Jobari sang. They sang like hell. Never off-planet, clearly, but they had to. Captain Robinson’s voice did not explain Kreska’s even by half. Perfect pitch, her range was goddamn absurd, and she picked up accents as quick as he’d ever heard. Instruments, besides. It made him wonder what exactly it was they did on Kotii, that made a girl who could sing like that.

Fucking unfair, was what it was.

Fourth: Kotii was designed like a set of monkey bars gone feral. It was the only possible explanation for Kreska’s refusal to stay on the damn ground. Or use stairs. Or, generally, her tendency to climb all over every damn thing so long as she thought she could get away with it. Even sometimes when she didn’t.

If it wasn’t, they would have broken her of the habit before she left. He felt pretty sure of that.

It was all conjecture, anyway. Wasn’t like there was any proof. Wasn’t like there was anything he could do with this information. It just existed, nebulous facts that brought him no closer to understanding the person he considered his best friend.

There was understanding, and then there was understanding.

Then again, Nolan’s idea of understanding necessitated that he be able to take something apart and put it back together again. So maybe it made a certain amount of sense that his closest friend would be someone too fragile to try it with.

Didn’t seem to work out so well with everybody else.

RE: Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 03-23-2017

Playing Games
kreska & fate
osiris lunar colony

At the tippy-top of the Southern Quadrant, where no other living being dared go, Kreska settled in and made herself comfortable. It was her favorite little nook, a piece of equipment that was probably vital to station function and which she probably should not have been sitting on, with a view of the whole gas giant in front of her. There was a chance that her cigarette could cause a catastrophic explosion.

She tried to start up her favorite racing game on her tablet, and frowned when it didn't load.

What loaded instead was some kind of cutscene from a completely different game, involving a lot of two-dimensional femme-faced men.

"Th' fuck?"

She exited out, and tried again. Same thing.

She tried a different game. Same thing.

She tried a different application altogether, tried restarting her tablet entirely, but everything she did brought her back to the same thing.

» Would you like to play a game?

Familiar text popped up in a notification she couldn't respond to, and she snarled.

"Y'listenin'?" she asked, because her earpiece was still in, the way it was almost always in. "Fix it," she added, assuming that he was.

» That's no fun.
    » All you have to do is win.
    » I thought you liked winning.

"This's some kinda stupid bullshit game," she informed him. "I ain't playin'."

» Oh fine.
    » Then just say "I surrender"
    » or maybe "Fate wins"
    » or "Fate really is the best"
    » or all of those.
    » I'm not picky.
    » Loud, please.
    » Huskiness optional but encouraged.

She huffed, and tapped the screen rather than acknowledge him. Which was when she discovered the awful truth: this was a game that involved a lot of reading. Her futile attempts to tap through all the words to get to the actual gameplay soon gave way to the realization that the words were the gameplay.

» Oh, come on.
    » You're not even trying.
    » At least -pretend- to read it.

She could feel her face getting hot. She tried to tell herself that he was just a moron, that he wasn't deliberately trying to humiliate her.

"You read it," she said suddenly.

» I'm -trying-.

"Out loud," she added.

» What?

"Y'want me t'play this stupid thing, then... make't interestin'. Do th'voices an' stuff."

"You're kidding," he said as he opened the voice channel.

"Y'can fix m'shit if ya don' wanna do it," she reminded him.

"I'm just amazed," he said, "that in this game about kissing boys–"

"What!"

"–where you win by getting one of the boys to kiss you–"

"What!" Having not read any of the introductory text, she had not realized that this was the goal of the game.

"–you – Kreska Ido – want me to do the voices of the kissboys."

Her entire face was now a dark shade of green. "Y'didn' hafta make't weird," she said. She no longer liked this plan. This was not the clever plan she'd thought it was. But the alternative was surrender, or else... trying to read through the game herself. With Fate secretly watching the whole time, probably. Even just some of the time.

That was unacceptable.

"Alright," Fate said, "so are you going to read your part, then?"

"... no. Ya gotta read th' girl parts, too."

"Oh, well, of course. I should have realized. How foolish of me." She heard him clear his throat, before adopting a breathy falsetto. "Boy, it sure is hard to be a girl–"

She cackled.

"If you're not going to take this seriously," he warned.

"Naw," she said, "I can tell y'take a lotta pride'n your work's an actor."

It was not a good game. She thought perhaps he'd picked it deliberately for that reason. The main character's primary traits seemed to be 'clumsy moron', and overall she reminded Kreska unflatteringly of Xotll.

As the boys she was intended to seduce were introduced, Kreska's feelings about the game's quality did not improve.

"Fuck me, lookit this asshole," she said, making Fate laugh as a man whose outfit consisted of fifty percent belts came onto the screen. "Give 'im a real dumb asshole voice."

"That's been all the voices so far," he reminded her.

"Dumber!"

What he adopted was some kind of half-Scottish, faintly Cockney brogue that had never been used by anyone in any corner of Allied Space. "I don't need to be wasting my time babysitting some spoiled brat," he read, and Kreska cackled again.

"Oh, I hate 'im. Can we kill 'im? Izzat in th'game?"

"I don't think it has a yandere mode."

"Th'fuck's that?"

"Nothing. I don't know that word. I didn't say anything. What? Let's see more kissboys."

She'd been about to say something clever, she thought, when the next screen gave her pause. This character...

... was pretty.

They were all pretty. Obviously. That was the point of the stupid game. But this one was actually pretty. With long, elegant hair, and a very fancy sort of a suit. Just a general air of elegant fanciness to him that meant he was surely, obviously, the objectively most attractive character in the game. The kind of elegant fanciness that did not exist in real life, except as attached to enormous assholes with superiority complexes.

"Please," Fate began, in a faux-Spanish accent with a lisp.

"No!" she snapped immediately.

"What?"

"Give him a good voice."

"What?"

She was starting to blush again. "I just – whoever I try t' kiss's th'one 'm gonna talk to most. I just realized. One of 'em's gotta have a good voice't won't bug th'shit outta me. An' that's thissun."

"Why don't I just change belt-guy's voice?" he suggested.

"No!" She slammed her mouth shut when she realized how high-pitched it had gotten. "'S too late," she lied. "'S gotta be this guy."

"I don't want to spoil anything for you," he said, "but I've looked at a walkthrough, and this guy's route takes about twice as long as belt-guy. You go for belt-guy and we can get this done before bedtime."

"Just do the voice!"

That was entirely too vehement.

"I'll try," Fate said dubiously. Finally, he just made his voice kind of deep, and maybe husky. "Please try to watch your attitude in front of the lady."

The dialogue was exactly as stilted and terrible as it was for every other character.

He'd called her a lady. He was being chivalrous.

Kreska giggled.

"Did you just giggle?"

"No!"

RE: Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 10-23-2019

[Image: beggars.png]

Beggars Can't Be
Gareth & Avi
The Kingdom of Aeris

Gareth gripped the reins of Princess Cordelia's horse. She sat blindfolded in the saddle. The King seemed to think that would make things easier—whether for her or for him, Gareth couldn't say.

Cordelia sniffled.

"You'll be fine," King Leopold said dismissively. "It'll keep you in a tower somewhere for a while. Some prince will save you. If anything, this has helped your marriage prospects."

She sniffled again. Gareth's sword felt heavy on his hip.

They had no army, no knights, no Honor Guard. Just a single member of the King's Guard. The King had said there was no point wasting bodies on a dragon, from whom no one could protect him if it decided to turn. Gareth didn't know if he'd been brought because demonspawn was especially disposable, or if it was a deliberate cruelty.

"Here," the King said, pulling his horse up short. Gareth automatically moved to help him dismount, King Leopold stepping on his shoulder. Then he helped Cordelia, careful not to touch her more than necessary. He'd never been this close to her before. He kept his tail close to his legs.

She seemed small, and she was shaking. Her blonde ringlets were all neatly arranged under her circlet, the color of wheat. She smelled like rose water. She couldn't see him, blindfolded as she was, but he knew that her eyes were green.

Gareth would put up with a lot. He had put up with a lot. He had bruises and blood enough to speak to it. But his mind had rebelled against this since the King had first announced this, his willingness to sacrifice his only daughter. Had been rebelling, screaming somewhere inside him.

They were outside the city, and they had horses. A dragon would as likely kill them all as not. He could. He could. There was no one to hear his thoughts, but he still didn't think it. He couldn't think it. If he didn't think it, he couldn't talk himself out of it.

He had a chance.

King Leopold was squinting at the sky. "It had better not be late."

Gareth slid his sword out of its scabbard, and slid it into the King.

It was easier than he had thought it would be. The tip of his sword had emerged through his ribs. Blood bloomed along his robes. The King made a sound like he was drowning. Gareth pulled his sword back, and the body fell.

It should have been harder.

The reality of what he'd done hit him all at once. He felt panicked, he felt free. It was happening, this was happening. He'd done it.

He grabbed Cordelia by the hand again. "We have to go," he said, trying to sound authoritative and not at all frightened.

She frowned. "What?"

"The dragon isn't here yet, if we hurry we can make it to the forest."

Cordelia pulled off her blindfold. She saw her father's corpse, and she screamed.

"We need to go," Gareth insisted, but this wasn't going the way he thought it would. She hated her father. Everyone hated her father. He wouldn't have known it to see the look on her face.

"What have you done?" she demanded.

"Princess—"

"What have you done?"

He heard the beating of wings, and he felt the blood leave his face. He turned in time to see a dragon just beginning to land, larger and grander than he'd thought. Scales white and shimmering, black horns and broad wings.

"I fucked up. I fucked up. I really fucked up." He accepted it the way he accepted that he was about to die, he was very surely about to die. This, in retrospect, was inevitable. The horses fled into the empty field.

"You killed him!" the Princess screamed, not deterred by the dragon.

There were hoofbeats down the road. Gareth turned his head, and could see immediately that Prince Ranulf had disobeyed his father. Prince Ranulf usually disobeyed his father. He had been speaking at length, since the dragon had first arrived, about how badly he wanted to slay a dragon. He would never do it, because he was a coward, but he was also an idiot.

If the King were alive, the Prince would have taken one look at the dragon, and pretended he only wanted to see it. Instead, Gareth was going to hang for regicide.

The dragon fixed a blue eye on Gareth, who moved to stand in front of the Princess, holding his sword ready with a shaky hand. That was the whole point of this, after all. That he'd save Cordelia. He'd rapidly lost control of the situation, and gave up on everything but this one small thing. It was the only thing he could bear to process.

The dragon looked at the sobbing Princess, and down the road at the approaching horses.

Then he lifted the King in his jaws, and started eating him.

Cordelia screamed and covered her ears with both hands, jamming her eyes shut tight. Gareth watched in horrified fascination. Leopold's bones crunched as they shattered between the dragon's teeth, and there were the wet sounds of chewed flesh and torn organs.

The horses stopped short, and their riders struggled to control them. The color had all left Ranulf's face, though he'd never had much to begin with. The spears his men held looked comically feeble. "What has happened here?" Ranulf demanded.

The dragon opened his mouth, and a battered ruby-studded crown fell into the grass. "I have eaten your king," he said, his voice like an earthquake. He shaped his words differently from any man, and sounded like no one but himself.

The King was dead. Gareth would hang. Ranulf would be king. Ranulf, Ranulf, worse even than Leopold. He found himself suddenly wishing, desperately, that the dragon would eat Ranulf. Anything but for Ranulf to be King.

"Why?" Ranulf asked, his voice cracking. "Why have you done this?"

"It was a challenge," Gareth said, the words escaping him just as quickly as the idea had entered his head. "He challenged the King's right to rule, and he accepted."

An obscure law from the days of warrior-kings that had never been stricken from the books. It simply wasn't relevant. Anyone who tried it would surely be killed long before they could ever present their challenge.

Gareth had been doing a lot of research on how to get rid of a king. Just... because.

"My father would never accept such a challenge," Ranulf said.

Gareth finally thought to sheathe his sword. "I—I was witness. I will swear to it."

"I insulted his honor," the dragon said, "and gave him no choice but to accept."

"Wait," said Sir Colin. "Are you suggesting that the dragon has a right to the throne?"

"He... he won the challenge," Gareth said lamely.

"I did," agreed the dragon.

"Isn't there a law that a dragon can't be king?" asked Sir Troy.

"Why would that be a law?" Sir Colin snapped, hitting him with the back of an armored hand. "Why would it ever occur to anyone that we would need a law for that? It's implied."

"Can't we make a law?"

"It's too late now."

"Sister," Ranulf said, speaking over his squabbling knights. Gareth looked at Cordelia, her tear-stained face. "Is this true?"

Cordelia looked at Gareth. He realized, in that instant, that she was afraid of him. She wasn't grateful for his attempted rescue, did not see that he was trying—in his way—to protect her from her brother. He felt acutely the color of his skin, the size of his shoulders, the sharpness of his teeth. That he had horns at all.

This was never going to have a happy ending for him, and looking at her, he couldn't imagine why he'd thought that it might.

"I—I was frightened," she said, her eyes darting between Gareth and her brother and the dragon that loomed above them all. "It all happened so fast, I don't—I don't know what happened."

The dragon flared his wings. "Do you dispute my claim?" he asked.

Ranulf turned green as he considered the implications of insulting a dragon. Of trying to hold a dragon to the law. Of trying to do anything in the face of a dragon now claiming a right the the throne of Aeris. "No," he said. "I was only... confirming."

Ranulf looked at Gareth with pure venom, and Gareth knew that he'd have Gareth killed just as soon as he saw his chance.

"We will need to consult with scholars, of course," Ranulf said. He, too, was stalling. "To be sure that everything is in order." He held out his hand. "Come, Cordelia."

Gareth nearly told her that she didn't have to go. That he would stay with her, if she wanted. But she ran to her brother as if he'd never hurt her, and his heart felt like a stone.

"And you, Gareth," he added. Gareth clenched his fists.

"You are a knight?" the dragon asked, and he realized the question was directed at him.

"No," he said flatly. "I am a member of the King's Guard."

"Ah," the dragon said. "Then, as I am your King, you must guard me." He seemed quite pleased with this.

Gareth stared at him.

"Yes," Ranulf sneered, "I suppose you should, shouldn't you?"

He thought this was a coup. He thought Gareth had planned this. He though Gareth had somehow met and conspired with a dragon to steal the throne.

It was a much more flattering interpretation of events than the reality, which was that he had panicked and still wasn't sure what was happening to his life.

Gareth watched the horses retreat, Princess Cordelia riding with her brother.

"What an interesting day," the dragon said.

Gareth doubled over, and heaved into the grass.

"Gross," he muttered, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. He panted, trying to catch his breath.

"Why do you want me to be king?" the dragon wondered.

"I don't," Gareth admitted, hands on his knees. "No offense. I just—he was a bad king. Leopold. Ranulf is worse. I thought... I wanted to create a bureacratic problem. Give myself time to figure something out."

Why was he talking to the dragon.

"Could you not have challenged him?"

Gareth snorted. "They'd kill me. They only care about the law now because they can't kill you."

"I am very strong," the dragon agreed.

"Why did you..." Everything. Anything. All of the things that the dragon had done since landing, since seeing the King dead on the ground and hearing Gareth's obvious lie.

"It was interesting," the dragon said. "I wanted to see what you would do. You seemed to have a plan."

"I didn't," Gareth admitted dully. "The... the plan was to rescue Cordelia. I'd kill the evil king and then she'd run away with me. I guess."

"It was a bad plan."

"Yeah." Gareth stood. "Why did you want the Princess?"

"I wanted to find a particular knight," the dragon said. "I thought that he might save a princess, if I stole one." He'd come to the edge of the city, and demanded audience with the King. When the King sent a messenger, he threw the messenger back. He was a powerful dragon, after all. He demanded a certain amount of respect.

"Oh." Gareth looked back toward the castle. "That's—sorry." He doubled over again, and retched bile.

"Gross," the dragon said.

"Yeah," Gareth coughed. "A hero, then? A hero knight?" The dragon nodded.

The King of Aeris had never done much, as far as Gareth had seen. He consulted with advisors, who told him about decisions, and then he pretended to make the decisions. He was mostly a figurehead, wasn't he? A king who did nothing would almost be better than a bad king.

"Being king—that would get his attention," Gareth suggested.

"Would it?"

"Everyone's heard of dragons kidnapping princesses," he said. "No one's ever heard of a dragon killing a king and ruling a kingdom." He swallowed. "All you'd really have to do is choose an heir, and then you can leave."

The dragon seemed to be thinking about it.

"Do you have a name?" Gareth asked. He didn't know how dragons worked.

The dragon sat taller. "I am the Scourge Above the Skies of Seven Kingdoms," he declared, "Demon of the Winter Winds." He paused. "I am the snow that falls from the mountain, destroying all in its path with a smothering embrace."

"Avalanche," Gareth said. "We have a word for that last bit. It's an avalanche."

"Avalanche," the dragon repeated with relish, standing and flaring his wing. "A fine name," he said, preening.

"It loses something in translation," Gareth admitted.

The dragon sat back down. "Does it?"

"Might want to stick with the other ones."

"Hm." Avalanche lowered his head, and darted his enormous tongue at Gareth. "You are bleeding," he observed.

"Yeah," Gareth said. "That's normal."

"Is it?"

He rubbed his hand over his face. "No. I just say that." This was stupid. Everything about this was stupid. If he had any sense at all, he'd leave this kingdom and tell this dragon to do whatever struck his fancy.

His whole life was in the castle. He'd grown up in it. He knew all the servants and all the members of the court. He knew who Ranulf would most target for his misfortune.

"I need to get back to the castle," Gareth said.

"My castle," Avalanche said.

Gareth was deeply uneasy about how quickly the dragon was catching on to the idea of being a king. He hadn't really thought it would go along with this at all, if he was honest. Dragons surely had better things to do than being kings in castles too small for them? They could fly.

"Yes," Gareth said, because even if he'd been so far friendly with the dragon, it felt like he shouldn't push his luck. "I'll just—maybe you can come back. Tomorrow." He picked the chewed crown up from the grass. There was blood in the divots bitten into the gold. "You... you really just have to declare an heir." He tucked the crown into the bag on his hip. "You might not like being king."

Avalanche reached out, and wrapped his claws around Gareth's waist. Gareth automatically started trying to push them away and free himself, but the dragon's wings were already beating. They took off, and Gareth might have vomited if he hadn't already cleared himself out. He stopped flailing and started clinging to the claws instead. Avalanche's hold on him put pressure on his bruised ribs, scraped at his scabs. Everything hurt, and he couldn't appreciate the view for the certainty that he would be dropped to break on the ground.

When Avalanche landed in the garden, Gareth collapsed immediately to the ground. The dragon contemplated the hedges. "I do not like these," he decided.

"Great," Gareth said, facedown in the manicured grass.

There was a great rush of flame, and Gareth looked up to see that Avalanche had burnt some of the hedges. They weren't dry enough to burn well.

"I do not like this, either," Avalanche decided, scratching his claws through the carefully seeded lawn.

"Don't burn it," Gareth said. Avalanche continued to rake like he was plowing. Gareth staggered to his feet. "I need... I need to go to my room."

Avalanche considered the doors into the castle, all much too small for him. "You must stay," he decided, "and guard your king."

"That's—that isn't what the King's Guard is."

"Is it not?"

"That's the Honor Guard. The Honor Guard protects the King. The King's Guard belongs to the King. We give him our lives to do with as he pleases. We do the dishonorable things."

The dragon considered this, sitting himself down in the grass. "Your life is mine," he said finally.

Gareth found that he did not like it when a dragon said that. He did not like how he seemed to be turning the idea over in his head. He had not liked belonging to a man, and he did not want to belong to a dragon. He pulled the blood-spattered crown from his bag, and set it in the grass. He didn't want to carry it. Someone else could retrieve it, the Prince or one of his Honor Guard. "Yes, Your Majesty," Gareth said, though there had not yet been a coronation.

"You must stay," he said this time, "because I will it to be so."

Gareth rubbed at his eyes. "You can't just—you—you're drawing too much attention to me. People will think—please don't do this to me."

The hedges were still smoldering.

Avalanche looked carefully around the garden, and at all the parts of the castle he could see. He finally spotted a maid peering down from a balcony. "You," he said. "I am your new King."

"What?" She looked down over the railing. "Gareth?"

"He issued a challenge," he said wearily. "King Leopold is dead. I saw it."

"Clouds above."

"Yes," Avalanche said. "I order you to bring to me many servants."

The maid looked horrified.

"She thinks you're going to eat them," Gareth muttered.

"I will not eat you," the dragon reassured her, "if you are well-behaved."

The maid was not reassured.

"I will need to be served," the dragon explained patiently. "I am in the garden. The servants will need to come to the garden. I would like to meet them."

"It's... it's fine, Lily," Gareth called up to her. "It seems fine. I—I don't think you want to be in there." Better to be out here with the dragon than in there with the Prince, surely. It was working out better for Gareth, so far.

Lily still looked uncertain, but she was willing to trust Gareth. She bobbed a curtsy toward Avalanche. "I will spread word, my lord," she said.

"Good girl," the dragon said. He turned his attention back to Gareth. "Now you will not be special," he said, "because there will be many servants."

"Thanks," Gareth said. His head was starting to throb. "That's... that's great. This is... great."

"Yes," the dragon agreed, flexing his wings. "This will be fun."

RE: Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 11-04-2019

[Image: chosen.png]

Chosen
NSFW
Gareth x Avi
The Kingdom of Aeris

It had been nearly a month since the coronation of the new King of Aeris, and the exile of Ranulf and Cordelia. The King had made no move to crown an heir. At the first great feast of nobles to honor his ascension, he had eaten most of them. Several knights and legendary warriors had challenged his right to the throne, and he'd eaten them, too.

Gareth was doing his best to disappear into the King's Guard. Fieldwork hadn't changed much, though now he assisted emphasizing to fringe village lordlings how badly they didn't want the King's attention. He kept an ear to the ground for sightings of legendary knights, but there had been none yet. Some of the long-term dungeon residents had seen a transfer into the King's service. Gareth hoped, after a discreet amount of time, to transfer into office work. Something in a workshop, maybe. Quiet and alone, where he wouldn't need his sword and could disappear into the wallpaper.

He believed, and pretended not to resent, that the King had forgotten him so easily. It was exactly what he'd wanted, but that didn't feel better.

Until he woke up to a strange man leaping into his bed.

"Gareth!" the man said, all tightly wound excitement.

Gareth bit back a scream.

"I figured it out!" the man said proudly. He wore a crown of gold and sapphires on too-perfect black curls, the pupils of his sky-blue eyes slitted like a cat. His ears came to multiple points, and his linen tunic didn't quite fit him right. His skin was whiter than the moon.

"What?" Gareth said, still grasping for coherence.

"The shape," he said impatiently. He rose up on his knees on Gareth's lumpy mattress, and admired his own arm, his fingernails all sharp and black. "The castle basement was all full of gold, and I finally got the shape right. I can go through the whole castle, now! I've been exploring and now I've found you!"

Gareth rubbed sleep from his eyes, blinking owlishly. "Avalanche?" he asked tentatively.

"Of course!" He sprawled himself suddenly over Gareth's half-prone form, and Gareth stiffened. "I brought you a gift."

"Oh." Gareth's heart beat against his ribs.

"Here." The King, the slender and long-fingered and sharp-toothed King, lifted his sleeve to reveal a bracelet on his wrist. It was a thick band of gold with a single ruby embedded in the center.

Gareth stared at it.

"Because you killed the old king," the King explained, pulling the jewelry from his hand. He reached up and started sliding it along the curve of Gareth's horn, until it rested near the base of it. "It only seemed fair."

"That's... thank you, Your Majesty."

The King ran his fingers over Gareth's face. "You're tense," he noted.

"Sorry."

The King's hands slid down to Gareth's chest.

"What are you doing?" Gareth asked.

"I can touch you now."

"Why?"

Avalanche blinked. "I want to," he said, like that should be explanation enough.

"I'm not an Incubus," Gareth said.

"No," the King agreed. "But you have enough of it in your blood to have an effect. Haven't you noticed?"

Gareth gripped the sheets beneath him, tail twisting. "Oh." He tried not to think about it.

Avalanche cocked his head sideways. "You're hardly irresistible," he said. "Do you think that's why I'm here?"

"I don't know."

"I tried it out on Lily, first," he added.

"What?"

"Lily," he repeated. "She was very enthusiastic about this form. I think I'm going to make her a Duchess."

"What did you do to Lily?" Gareth asked, his brain lagging behind the conversation, all ground to a halt trying not to move with a man on top of him.

"We fucked," Avalanche said impatiently. "And then with Tiffany, and then Carlos. I wanted to make sure everything was working, test it all out. Fortunately the servants in this castle are lovely, I think I'll give them all titles. We have so many extra, now."

Gareth, who'd been grappling with the idea that he might have just enough demon blood to tempt a dragon through no fault of his own, abruptly switched gears to grapple with being the dragon's fourth choice.

Avalanche touched Gareth's jaw and regarded him with suspicion. "Do you not find me attractive?"

What an absurd question, when he had skin like a pearl and black curls as soft as silk, eyes like a summer day.

"You're the most beautiful man I've ever seen," Gareth told him.

"Hmmm." The King sprawled all against him again, nestling his head on Gareth's chest and listening at his ribcage. "Do you feel unworthy of the glory of me?" he wondered.

"Something like that," Gareth said.

"Understandable," he said. "Think of it as paying tribute to my magnificence, then." He lifted his head to meet Gareth's mouth, and as the King kissed him Gareth finally started to relax. The King reached beneath the covers to find Gareth's cock, fingers wrapping around his shaft. "I didn't notice as much before, because you seemed generally human-sized, but you're a large man."

"So I've been told."

"Your shoulders," the King marveled. "And your dick is huge."

Gareth giggled nervously.

The King stopped touching himself long enough to pull his shirt off, his own chest nothing but lean muscle. There was the line of a scar on his ribs. Then he shimmied lower on Gareth's body, and dropped his head to kiss the tip of Gareth's cock.

"Oh! Oh, clouds, that's—you're—"

The King wrapped his lips around Gareth's cock, careful of his teeth, and started to suck.

"—holy shit." This, whatever Gareth had expected, was not it. There was a dragon going down on him. The King was sucking his dick. Whatever reservations he may have had about the situation abruptly fled. Gareth's tail wound around his thigh rather than risk touching the King.

The King came up for air, stroking Gareth with his hand. "I'm going to need more practice," he decided with a frown. "You're much bigger than I expected."

"Thanks," Gareth managed.

"We'll have lots of time," he sighed. "Do you have any oil? I forgot to bring oil. I didn't plan this very well. I was just so excited! Look at me, who wouldn't want to fuck me."

Gareth flung out an arm to fumble in his bedside table, finally recovering a glass vial of oil.

"Good boy," the King said, sliding his trousers off much too quickly. Then he snatched the vial, and started enthusiastically oiling Gareth's cock. His own erection seemed almost to shimmer like opals, looking like it had been carved rather than like any organic thing. "If this doesn't work," the King warned him, "I'm going to be horribly upset and set the curtains on fire."

"Don't do that," Gareth said.

"I will, and you can't stop me." He straddled Gareth's hips, holding Gareth's cock between his legs. Slowly he lowered himself, guiding it toward his ass. "Oh—oh—" He gasped and he cried out, making small reflexive noises as Gareth felt his cock slowly penetrate him. Gareth bit back a groan, tightness sinking onto him and heat wrapping around him, wanting to reach out and pull the other man down in one long stroke.

"Ah—" Avalanche was such a stupid sounding name. "Avi," he tried, his fingers gripping the sheets again.

"Oh, I like the way you said that," the King said. "Call me that again."

"Avi."

His shoulder rolled like he had wings, and he finally sank down far enough to sit on Gareth's pelvis. "It worked!" he panted triumphantly. "Stars, but you're enormous. How does anyone take you that isn't a dragon?"

"Carefully," Gareth said.

He wiggled his hips experimentally, making Gareth growl. Then he bent down to kiss him, and Gareth returned it hungrily. The King ran his hands along his chest, admiring the feel of him, and caught Gareth's wrists when he might have done the same.

"You're mine," the King reminded him against his mouth. "You touch when I say."

Gareth growled and his hips bucked, making the King groan.

"Oh, you hate that," he said, sounding pleased about it. "You're lucky I'm so patient, or I'd punish you for that, you know." He kissed Gareth's palm, and bit gently at the meat of his hand. "Tell me you're mine," the King ordered.

"I'm yours," Gareth said through his teeth. The King guided his hand down to his cock, and Gareth wrapped his fingers around the King's shaft. The King started to rock on top of him, and Gareth pumped his hand along his cock in time. His crown still sat neatly on the King's head.

"You wanted to be mine," he said with relish. "You like being mine. You'd like to split me open, wouldn't you?"

"Yes."

The King hummed happily, half of it a moan. "You'd destroy me if I weren't so strong," he said, basking. He danced his fingers along Gareth's hipbones beside his thighs. "Are you used to being on top?" Gareth didn't answer, didn't think about it. "You should be," the King said. "You don't belong beneath anyone but me." Gareth's hand pumped faster. "You could have been a hero, and instead you're mine to do with as I please. Say it again, say it."

"I'm yours, Avi," Gareth breathed. "I'm all yours."

Avi's back arched and clenched down as he came, shimmering and sticky all over Gareth's chest, through his hand and covering his fingers. He hummed and sighed and admired the look of how he'd painted Gareth's skin, white over blood-red. He took Gareth's hand, and licked it shamelessly while Gareth watched.

"Thank me," the King ordered.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Gareth said quietly. The King was still hard, still sitting on top of him. Neither of them moved.

Finally, the King started to move, twisting around on Gareth's cock until he was turned in the other direction. His thighs rested on Gareth's. There were hints of scales along his spine.

"Gareth," he said, looking over his shoulder, eyes glittering. "Get on top, and try to break me."

Gareth stared at him.

"If I don't think you're trying to fuck me to death, you're not going hard enough. Is that clear?"

Gareth sat up, legs tangling with the King's as he knelt behind and above him, the King on his hands and knees. Impulsively, Gareth shoved between his shoulderblades to push him to the mattress with his hips in the air.

"Yes," Avi hissed immediately, claws tearing into Gareth's bedding.

Gareth pulled out, and rammed back into him in one bruising stroke. "How's that?" he growled.

"Harder," Avi snarled.

Gareth complied, his hips ramming into him, long and punishing strokes that felt like tearing into him anew each time. Avi roared beneath him, not like a man but like a dragon, gasping for air and exhaling smoke.

"My hair," Avi panted, so Gareth grabbed a fist full of it and pulled. Avi groaned, thrusting his hips back as if he could push Gareth deeper. Gareth let his hair go, and grabbed the back of his head instead, shoving it down. His tail slipped between their thighs, and wrapped around Avi's cock, whose eyes widened. Gareth's other hand grabbed Avi's wrist, twisting it to hold behind his back.

Briefly, he could almost forget that the dragon could have thrown him across the room.

Avi roared again, writhing and squirming beneath him. Gareth was nothing but pounding muscle and instinct, the sound of skin against skin as he claimed the man beneath him and practically hollowed him out. His grip would have bruised anyone else as he pushed him harder into the bed. Avi arched and clenched again, and this time Gareth came with him, cock twitching against the stretched muscles of his ass, flooding him with heat.

They both caught their breath in silence, until Gareth carefully began to disentangle himself. He fell back when Avi twisted around to pounce on him.

"That went wonderfully," he said, draping himself over Gareth again, not at all concerned by how sticky they both were. "You were perfect, darling, absolutely perfect."

"Thanks," Gareth said, slightly dazed.

"I like being King," Avi sighed. "I should have done this much sooner." He patted Gareth's stomach. "What a clever idea you had."

Gareth rubbed at the bridge of his nose. "Yeah. That's—I sure did."

Avi beamed.

RE: Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 11-06-2019

Not enough time, not enough time.

There were locks on Gareth's door, but there wasn't any point to them. He'd lock it from the inside if he thought it would do him any good. He pulled up a floorboard to find a bottle of moonshine infused with nightshade flowers. Not enough to kill a demonspawn, though he drank it like it might. He shoved the cork back in, stuck it back into the floor next to contraband books and jars of illegal plants. He was already dizzy when he slid underneath his bed, barely fitting if he made himself flat. His back left blood on the floor, wounds pulling back open, horns scraping beneath his head. His tail felt like it might fall off. He'd get his first aid kit out in the morning; it'd be fine.

For now, his bleeding arms were more an asset then a hindrance.

On his fifteenth birthday, he'd used charcoal to draw a desummoning circle onto the wood of his bed. He'd found it in a book he'd stolen from the rubble of the court wizard's tower six months earlier. It hadn't worked the way he'd thought it might, but it had ended up useful enough. He'd scratched it into the wood with his carving knife not long after, not wanting to risk that it'd get smudged or washed out. The lines of it were all stained brown by now.

He pulled a metal nail from the leg of the bed, and used it to scratch another line into the wall above his head. He had a vague idea that at some point, he'd start seeing some ill effects from this. That might be useful, later. Some kind of value to magical studies.

This was his own fault, of course. This always happened with sparring. He always told himself he was going to lose, this time, the way he was supposed to. It wouldn't be so bad if he'd just lose.

But Ranulf fucking sucked, was the thing. And it was always such a satisfying thirty seconds, while it lasted.

He rubbed his hands over the bites their swords had taken from his forearms, which he could already tell would need stitches. It didn't hurt too badly now, what with the poison. He could hear footsteps and laughing in the hallway, and his heart raced. Once his palms were properly bloodied, he shoved them up against the careful geometry of his circle.

It wasn't quite instantaneous, the way it tore him apart. There was always a second or two where he could feel it, ripping away from his bones. Then he was gone.

Not physically. He was still there, under his bed. Would still be there when they opened the door. But he wasn't there, was the important thing, wasn't stuck in his skin for whatever might happen to it between now and when he snapped back into it like a bowstring about to break.

He wasn't ever going to be much of a wizard, but it was better than nothing.

RE: Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 11-19-2019

Cara

Caralee Augustina Eudoxia of the House of Lisea kept her head up as she was lead into the garden. So far, she was actually enjoying the trip into the Capitol. Everyone was very nice to her, and no one had looked twice at any of her dresses. She was even excited to see the dragon. It had eaten her father, sure, but she wasn't going to hold that against it.

"If it pleases Your Majesty," they were announced, "Overlord of the Northern Mountains, Scourge of the Skies Above Seven Kingdoms, Demon of the Winter Winds, Slayer of Tyrants and Merciful King of Aeris—one of your knights brings news from the House of Lisea, whose Count you have recently deposed."

The garden... was a mess. Dirt all clawed up into irregular piles, barely any lawn to speak of. There were stacks of burnt detritus, and woody twigs jutting out of the ground. Amidst it all was a dragon, massive in size, white with black horns and curled wings.

Cara gave her best curtsy as her escort bowed. "Your Majesty," the knight said. Cara continued looking at the dragon. It was too big to give a proper sense of scale, and looked unreal. "I'm afraid the Count of Lisea left a daughter." He gestured to Cara, who curtsied again.

A great blue eye fixed onto her, pupil a black line.

"The Count of Lisea was a widower," the knight continued. "He left no other family."

"I am Caralee Augustina Eudoxia," Cara recited with yet another curtsy. "It is an honor to meet you." She stood, and pushed her glasses higher.

"Hmm." The great head bowed down to sniff at her. She smothered a giggle as it fluttered her skirts. Then the dragon sat back up. "There are many rooms in this castle," the King decided. "You may stay here. Does this satisfy you?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," Cara said with another curtsy.

Cara was dissatisfied.

Now that the novelty was wearing off, she was getting bored of wandering freely around the castle. The servants were nice, and so was the library. The King let her have as many dresses as she wanted.

Still. This didn't feel right.

"If it pleases Your Majesty," she was announced into the garden, "Overlord of the Northern Mountains, Scourge of the Skies Above Seven Kingdoms, Demon of the Winter Winds, Slayer of Tyrants and Merciful King of Aeris—the Lady Caralee Augustina Eudoxia begs an audience."

The King had dug a hole in the garden large enough that he could fit inside of it. The dirt looked slightly more landscaped as rain smoothed out the edges, but there still wasn't much growing. There was a single lonely tree that had clearly been picked up, full-grown, and moved there.

The King was sitting in his hole.

Cara curtsied. "Your Majesty," she said, "I need school."

"School," he repeated.

"I'm little," she said. "I'm supposed to be in school, learning things."

"What would you like to learn?"

"I don't know," she said, annoyed. "I haven't learned it."

"There are books," he offered.

"I don't know which ones I'm supposed to read." She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Whichever ones you would like?"

"That's not how learning works," she insisted.

He tilted his head to the side, but she would not be moved. Even if it made him look like a confused dog.

"I will consider your petition," he said.

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

"If it pleases Your Majesty—"

Cara pushed past the man announcing her entry into the throne room. "I made you a cake," she declared, holding a silver tray.

The King had been curled up and sleeping on a proverbial mountain of gold, piled high where the throne had once been. He blinked at her.

"You have to try it," she said, carefully walking closer with the cake.

"Do I?"

"It's my first one," she said. "You have to tell me if it's good."

The King came slinking down off the hoard of gold, doing her the kindness of meeting her halfway instead of waiting for her small legs to carry her the whole length of the room. She set the tray onto the floor. She knew the cake was a bit lopsided, but she didn't think he'd be able to tell from up there. As long as it tasted good, it didn't matter, anyway. The raw batter had been good. She'd eaten a lot of it.

The King dragged a claw along the edge of the cake, and licked it.

"Bad," he declared.

"You're supposed to lie!" Cara complained. "You have to tell me I did good so I don't get discouraged."

"It is bad," he said again. The tip of his claw pushed the tray closer to her. "You will make a better one, next time."

Cara burst in the door, her hand over her eyes. There was a high-pitched scream.

"Some of us are trying to sleep!" she shouted into the room. She separated her fingers enough to see through them.

"Cara," the man in the bed said, "that was very rude." He was, fortunately, underneath the blanket. She squinted, because she recognized his voice.

"Your Majesty," she scolded.

"Yes?"

"I'm a growing girl! I need my sleep, to grow! You need to use a different room."

"What a disrespectful child," he sniffed.

"I'm going back to bed," she said. "If I have nightmares, it's going to be all your fault." She stomped back out of the room, and into her own, slamming the door behind her and climbing under the comforter. She was fully prepared to put a pillow over her head, but the yelling did not resume. She drowsed.

She woke again when light came streaming in through her door, pressing against her eyelids before disappearing. When she opened her eyes, there were eyes looking back at her in the dark, glowing in the moonlight.

"Did you have a nightmare?" the King asked matter-of-factly.

"Not yet," she scowled.

Her bed moved as he sat down at the edge of it. "I'll wait here, then," he said.

"That won't help."

"It will," he said. "I'm a dragon." His skin was as pale as his scales, and he was wearing a crown on his head.

"So?"

"We eat dreams."

"Bad dreams?"

"Whatever dreams we want."

She wrapped herself tighter in her blanket. "I don't believe you."

"I don't care."

She stuck her tongue out at him, but he only did it back. Eventually, finally, she managed to sleep.

"Gareth," Cara called, grabbing onto his arm. Gareth didn't stop walking, and instead carried her along, looking up from his book.

"Yes, Lady Eudoxia?"

"Are you coming to my birthday party?"

"Am I invited?"

"Obviously."

"Then of course I'm coming," he said.

"Tell Grilka ey has to come, too."

"Why not tell em yourself?"

"Ey's avoiding me because I kept climbing on em and ey's not allowed to bite me."

"Aaah." Gareth nodded. "I'll let em know."

The King took a suspicious bite of cake. Cara watched him intently as he chewed.

"Acceptable," he said finally.

"Good," she said, taking a slice of the cake Gareth had made her instead. The King watched her with narrowed eyes. "Am I still going to be a countess someday?" she asked. "Or am I already a countess, because you ate the Count? Or am I a princess, because you're my dad now?"

He froze.

"That's how it works, right? If your dad is the King, that makes you a princess? Or is it different because I'm adopted?"

"If you were a princess," he said slowly, "I think that I would have to put you in a tower." She nodded sagely, licking her fork. "You are of my nest, then?"

She didn't know what that meant, but assumed he was just phrasing things weird because he was a dragon again. "Yes," she said.

"Should there not be a ritual, or a ceremony?"

She frowned. She didn't actually know what adoption entailed, aside from her deciding that the King was her new dad. Tentatively, she held out her pinky. After a brief delay, the King did the same. She curled her pinky around his, and pulled a little until he curled his finger also. She tried to think of some good adoption ceremony words.

"You're my dad now," she said.

He nodded seriously.

The end of the King's snout poked into the tree where Cara was hiding. "Who will I eat?" he asked.

She sniffled, rubbing at her eyes. "No one," she snapped. "It's stupid."

He turned his head to look through the leaves, but clearly wasn't going to let her be. "I will fix it."

"You can't fix it."

"I am a dragon."

This was not the clever rebuttal he seemed to think it was. She gnawed on her lip. "I'm cursed," she said finally.

"When was this?"

"When I was born. It was an evil sorcerer. He cursed me, so on my thirteenth birthday I'm going to turn into a boy."

"Hmm." He thought this over while she stared at her skirt. "I can break a curse."

She flushed. "It's not that kind of curse," she said. "It's the kind that just... makes it seem like I'm a boy already."

The King sat down beside her tree as he mulled this over.

"Insidious," he said finally.

"Yeah," she said. "It was a really evil sorcerer."

"I can break a curse," he said. "I am a dragon."

The King burst into Gareth's workshop. "Gareth!" he said. "You're a half-wizard!"

"That's... not really how that works," Gareth said, sliding his goggles up onto his forehead. His charge had moved to put the table between himself and the King.

"I need your wizard blood."

"What."

"If I had a human girl," he said, gesturing as he spoke, "and I wanted to make it into a human boy, is there a spell for that?"

"I'm not telling you that."

"I am the King of Aeris, and my word is law," he reminded him impatiently. "Give me your skill as a half-wizard."

"That's really not how that works," he said.

The King burst into Cara's room without knocking. She was fretting over a math textbook. He dropped a box on top of it.

"Your Majesty," Gareth said wearily from the door.

"I have broken your curse," the King announced. "He helped."

Cara looked warily at the box. The King opened it eagerly for her, revealing a massive set of small glowing vials.

"Explain to her how it works," the King said, because he didn't know how it worked.

"Take the first one at the next full moon," he said, stifling a yawn. "Then another every day after that, at the same time. Take the last one at the following full moon, and then you're done."

She stared. "That's it?"

"It's not perfect," Gareth warned. "It's not a transformation spell, it won't—you won't shapeshift, any more than you would normally... you know how puberty works."

"Oh, clouds, yes, don't explain it to me, yuck."

"Okay, good," Gareth sighed. "It will change how your body grows, it won't change anything you already have. Right?"

"Right."

"We can figure out other spells for that, if you want," Gareth said. "For now, this will take care of your... curse."

She blushed, staring at the vials.

"I told you I could fix it," the King preened.

She hugged him suddenly around the waist. "Thank you, Dad."

He patted awkwardly at her hair.