alonimi
Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Printable Version

+- alonimi (https://alonimi.net)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Repository (https://alonimi.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] (/showthread.php?tid=496)

Pages: 1 2 3

Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 11-07-2014

[Image: hQgs9eR.png]

[Image: mg3XZCC.gif]

Halvsies
kreska ido & nolan seward
cylinder station 12

"Is it true what they say about green women?"

"We reproduce asexually," Kreska said flatly instead of answering, and the human furrowed his brow, squinted at her in confusion. "I got thorns an' all my fluids're like menthol, I'll give ya poison ivy rashes - it's all true."

That wasn't what they said about green women, but it was what Kreska wanted them to say. If she'd been full Jobari, it might have been true. She tilted back her bottle, bright blue glass filled with a soda that - in a fortunate turn of events - was mildly intoxicating to the Jobari. Even less intoxicating for a half-Jobari, but she'd take what she could get. Until she turned twenty, at least, until she could get as far away from this station as a ship would carry her.

"You don't have to be such a bitch about it," he said, a blonde not much older than she was, and she snorted in disdain. Always the blondes who said shit like that, not that brunettes were much better.

Kreska had a vague hope that it was unique to this station, this particular strain of human male douchebaggery. She'd seen enough movies to know that it probably wasn't, but it was good to dream. Had he really grown up here, the man they called her father? How could he possibly have tolerated it?

Or maybe he'd been one of those men. Maybe he'd gotten better when he left. Maybe he only pretended to be better for the cameras.

Kreska leaned back on the stoop where she had settled herself, looked up at the clouds and the sprawl of buildings past them. Spiraling streets and identical rooftops, suburbs hovering above her head. If she didn't get on the hopper, soon, her guardians would start to wonder where she was.

"I like that," came a voice from the sidewalk, and Kreska furrowed her brow suspiciously at the source. He looked almost the usual teenage sack of hormones, except that his skin was a mottled purple, tusks sticking upward out of his mouth and an extra thumb on the wrong side of each hand. His species was easy enough to determine, which meant he probably got even more shit than she did. "D'you know what they say 'bout purple men?"

She'd never actually heard anything about purple men, not in the way that they said things about green women. Slowly, she shook her head.

"Purple feet," he said, with a sage nod.

It took her a minute.

She snorted a laugh despite herself, hiding her grin behind the back of her hand.

"Ya don't live 'round here, do ya? I'd recognize ya if ya did." He hitched all four thumbs in the pockets of his jeans, and she wondered if his jacket was real leather.

She was wary, but she almost-smiled at him anyway, scratched the side of her head. "Naw," she admitted, pointing above them with the hand that was against her head, fingers forming an 'L' shape as she did it. "I live straight up."

He whistled as he looked above them, yellow eyes and rectangular pupils. "Your family must be loaded."

"They're not my family," she corrected too quickly, before looking down at her bottle again. "But, I mean - yeah. Ain't poor. Rather live here, tho."

"I'd rather ya lived here, too," he said, with a waggle of thick eyebrows, and she snorted again. "So what's your good half?"

She grinned at the way he asked it. "Jobari," she admitted, and he whistled.

"Didn't know they made 'em in halvsies," he said, which was not quite the response she'd expected. "I won't try t' kill ya if ya won't try t' kill me," he added, which was much more in line with her expectations.

"Didn't know they made N'sazz in halvsies, either," she observed, trying to sound casual.

"'S m'mom's the N'sazz," he said, hasty but not abrupt, "'fore ya go gettin' ideas 'bout the nature o' their relationship."

"Can ya do anythin' cool?" Kreska asked, changing the subject, because she'd heard stories about the things N'sazz could do. Everyone had.

"Shred like hell onna ghee-tar," he answered, wiggling the fingers not inside his pockets. He stepped closer, then sat down next to her on the stoop, mimicking her posture. "You?"

"Durin' Phys Ed I smell like a pack o' gum."

"What about th' thorns an' th' rashes?" he teased, nudging her in the side with his elbow.

"Anybody asks, I gotta rosebush 'tween m' legs," she warned, nudging him back much harder. She took a swig of her soda, and he held out a hand; without needing to ask, she handed him the bottle.

"Th' hell ya think we're gonna be doin'," he wondered, "folk're gonna be askin' me 'boutcher legs an' what's between 'em?" He took a sip of her drink, then handed it back to her. "I swear humans're th'only ones can drink that ish an' not have it mess 'em up. Y'ain't gotta tell people I gotta monster dick, errybody already knows that."

"What the hell," she said, but she was laughing as she said it, and he gave her a tusky grin.

"How long 'til ya gotta hop?" he asked.

She thought about it for just a bit too long. "Fuck it," she decided finally, "they call an' I'll tell 'em I'm stayin' for a midcycle movie. Ain't like they'll think t'check. Thinkin' o' anythin' in particular?"

"Refinery not far from here," he said, indicating the direction with a jerk of his head. "Ain't got shit for security. Get on one o' th' towers an' it's a nice view o' th' preserve. I gotta interstellar receiver, picks up signals from basically the whole sector. There's a numbers station playin' out from a dead rock not far from th' station, creepy as balls."

"Shee-it, yanno just how t' show a girl a good time," she said, and she meant it. "Y'ain't asked, but I'm Kreska."

"Fuck me, did I forget about names again? You can just call me 'monster dick'."

"Hell no."

"Hot stuff?"

"Nope."

"Captain Tightpants."

"Does this literally ever work?"

"Okay, fine - it's Nolan."

"Holy shit, wow, yeah, that's awful."

"Fuck you," he said, shoving her shoulder as he stood. "Some of us got named by humans."

"No worries," she said reassuringly as she followed suit, "I'll come up with somethin' better t' call ya."

Light Reading
jean cernunnos
valesport
NSFW

"Concretely, in such a society – ah! Hnnn. Oh, oh – no, please don't stop, please!"

"And I told you, cher," Jean chided quietly, "if you would like me to keep going, you will need to keep reading. It is a simple thing, is it not? If it is too difficult for you, only say, and I will stop."

In William Russell's defense, they were hardly ideal reading conditions. Bent over, fingers splayed against the wood of Jean's desk, hair just long enough to fall into his eyes and a book about economic theory – it would be difficult to read even if Jean weren't currently plunging his cock into him.

Or rather, had been. He'd stopped the moment Will's words had ceased to resemble what was on the page, the head of his erection resting just barely inside him. Jean's hands on his hips kept him from moving backward, holding him still. He hadn't actually bothered to undress, trousers unbuttoned and shirt half-undone, sleeves rolled up past his elbows; William wore nothing, but Jean had never pretended to be fair.

Swallowing hard, Will began again, voice wavering. "Concretely, in such a society, the poorest half of the population will generally…"

As he resumed his recitation, Jean began to move again – sliding his cock slowly back inside until it was buried in the young man's ass. "… with – ah! – no wealth at all…" Will did an admirable job this time, hesitating only occasionally, interrupting his reading to cry out only on particularly vigorous thrusts.

Jean's eyes were a bright blue, savoring the unique taste of arousal mingling with embarrassment. Though embarrassment was not quite the right word, self-conscious only slightly better, that unique awareness of one's person that came with a performance He ran the sharp points of his fingernails down the young man's spine, enjoying the sight and the feel of him shuddering at the sensation.

Gripping Will's hips again, he began to push into him harder, faster. "For – hnngh!" He stumbled over his words only briefly, recovering and reading louder. "For this half of the – the population, the very no – notions of wealth and capital..." Jean's shark-like grin at the other man's determination might have been terrifying, if anyone had been able to see it.

Jean bent forward, still ramming rhythmically into Will's ass, and placed a gentle kiss between his shoulderblades. His right hand slid forward, and fingers brushed feather-light along the underside of his cock.

"The inescapable – oh! Oh, oh, oh god, Jean, please–" Will's fingers curled, clawing uselessly at the desk beneath him, back arching as he bowed his head.

Jean could have scolded him again, if he'd wanted to be cruel. Will's need was thick and heavy, sweet and hot, and the taste of it was more than Jean could resist. Left hand slid up his spine to grip the back of his neck, pushing him down to pin him against the desk, one side of his face resting in the book he had been trying to read; the fingers of the other wrapped around the length of his shaft, and William made a noise that was almost a grateful sob.

"I do not recall giving you permission to use my given name," Jean hummed good-naturedly, rocking his hips more gently as he gave the cock in his hand a gentle squeeze.

Will gasped, whimpered and struggled beneath the hand that pinned him to the desk. "Mr. Cernunnos, sir," he corrected breathlessly, and this time he caught a glimpse of Jean's sharp-toothed smile.

"Good boy," Jean purred, tangling his fingers in the young man's hair as he began stroking his cock. His hand was slick with precum, gliding along with even pressure, timing the movements of his hand to match the thrusting of his hips. It was difficult to tell where his own arousal ended and the other man's begun, both mingling in his mind. The fingers in his hair tightened, pulling to delay his pleasure with pain; Will cried out, and Jean wondered what it might have sounded like with a cock in his mouth.

He'd have to find out, later.

"I wonder how long you could take this," Jean wondered aloud, tugging harder at William's cock. To emphasize the question, he pulled the length of himself almost entirely out, ramming the full length of it back into Will's ass as he pulled his hair again. His cry this time was almost a scream, and Jean chuckled, a low and throaty sound. "Another hour, do you think?"

"Oh, no, please – please, sir, please let me cum, please?" William sounded on the verge of being unable to speak entirely, the brink of orgasm twisting his tongue into knots, and Jean's eyes were like ice.

Jean bent low again, pressed his lips to the crook between Will's neck and his shoulder; then he opened his mouth, bit down on this skin as hard as he could manage without the sharp points breaking skin. He screamed, squirming on Jean's cock and in his hand, and Jean smiled as he ran his tongue over the marks his teeth had left.

"Do you think I will stop then?" Jean whispered in his ear, thrusting harder and faster, stroking with the same rhythm. "Perhaps I shall keep going, see how many times I can get you twitching in my hand while I tear you open. How long do you think, before there was nothing left in you?"

Will tried to speak, but the sounds he made were incoherent, meaningless noises with the tone of begging. Jean's hand left his hair, sharp nails trailed down his skin; Will's orgasm hit him like a train, and the taste of it was nothing Jean had ever been able to describe. Bliss, ecstasy, and Jean's eyes were no longer blue at all – were white instead, and this was where things became dangerous, because if he wasn't careful he could break the man beneath him.

Will's cock twitched in his right hand, spent itself hot and sticky into his left. Jean's hips no longer moved, kept his cock buried deep and still inside the other man. Only when Will's orgasm had subsided, some color returning to Jean's eyes, did he begin to move again. He slid his still rock-hard erection out of the man who had nearly collapsed beneath him, sighing as he stood upright and considered what had become of hand. "Or perhaps I will not," Jean corrected, sounding amused, "seeing what a mess you have managed to make already."

Without needing to be asked, William turned, took hold of Jean's hand and began to clean it with his mouth. He did have a lovely mouth, Jean thought; it was the first thing he'd noticed about him. He ran his tongue along Jean's palm, sucked at his fingers, and Jean ruffled his hair affectionately with his free hand. Sliding his fingers out of his mouth, he let them trail along his lower lip before replacing them with his own mouth. He tasted of whiskey and arousal and youth, salt and sweat, and Jean swallowed the sound of his moan. "You didn't finish," Will accused hoarsely, and Jean smiled, nipped at his lower lip to make him moan again.

"You did not ask," Jean pointed out, as if this was entirely reasonable. "There are more condoms in the desk, if you would like to try and make me." He did not quite laugh as William turned, eagerly opening the drawer to find what he had asked. Jean fell back into his chair, disposed of the one that had already been used; he was still intoxicated from Will's climax, and the fact revealed itself in nothing better than his poor posture. He was slouched in his seat, elbows resting on the armrests and head resting on his hand, knees spread wide.

Technically, Jean's nature rendered condoms unnecessary. But it was the principle of the thing, really; no use encouraging bad habits, not if he could help it.

William, eager to please and reciprocate, was kneeling between his knees with barely any delay. He slid the new condom onto Jean's erection with his mouth, and Jean sighed contentedly, ruffled his hair again. "Look at me," he ordered, and hazel eyes met his as Will ran his tongue slowly along the length of his shaft. Jean hummed with pleasure, resting his head against his hand again and watching intently as lips wrapped around his cock and began to suck.

It was tempting, so tempting, to rock his hips forward, to thrust deeper into his warm and eager mouth. William continued to obediently maintain eye contact as he bobbed in Jean's lap, and Jean wondered if he could make him gag, wondered if he would whimper the way he had before. Jean didn't move despite his predilections, still but for the rise and fall of his chest; slowly he smiled, crooked and lazy with none of the threat it'd had before.

"You are lovely," he sighed, almost moaned, and William tasted of pride and pleasure. Jean's cock was like a column of marble pressing against his throat, Will working very hard to get his lips closer to the base of his shaft. Jean ran the backs of his fingers over Will's cheek affectionately, and somehow he had the temerity to blush and lower his eyes, as if this intimacy could be unexpected with him kneeling naked on the floor with a dick in his mouth.

"William," Jean warned, and their eyes met again. "Touch yourself for me," he urged, and when Will groaned it sent a vibration through him, made him draw a sharp breath. Will obeyed, one hand stroking his already half-hard cock, still sliding his lips along Jean. "Lovely," Jean sighed again, "magnifique, parfait, un beau gosse tout pour moi, lovely little William with the pretty little mouth, pathicus et cinaedus."

It was the sight of him touching himself that did it, and Jean bucked his hips involuntarily, digging his fingers into the arms of his chair to resist taking Will by the hair. His back arched, head tilted backward and eyes closed; the only betrayal of what was happening on his face was the flex of a muscle in his jaw, the almost imperceptible flare of his nostrils. His cock twitched in William's mouth, again and again until Jean relaxed again, smiling faintly.

He could taste that William was halfway to undone again, and he gestured languorously for the young man to stand, to come closer. When he did, Jean pulled the smaller man into his lap, as easily as if he'd weighed nothing; Will yelped in surprise, and Jean laughed, wrapping his arms around his waist to pull his back against his chest.

"Are you so insatiable?" Jean teased, wrapping his hand around William's to guide his strokes.

"I'm not usually – I swear I don't normally do this," Will said, and Jean kissed his neck.

"You do not usually ask strange men to sodomize you, you mean?" Jean asked with a grin, enjoying the way he flushed and squirmed. "Or do you mean that you do not usually suck their cocks afterward? Or touch yourself?"

"Oh my god," William groaned, mortified, and Jean laughed. "None of those things, never, I swear."

"A tragedy, then," Jean said, "for you are very good at them." He ran his hands along his skin, rearranged him in his lap to sit slightly sideways and afford Jean a better view. "Did you not like it, then, when I fucked you?"

Jean watched intently as William pumped harder, bucked involuntarily in his lap and bit his lip. "Yes, god yes!"

"Say it," Jean ordered, taking Will's chin in his hand so he could not look away.

"I liked it when you fucked me," Will gasped, his hand moving faster, "your hands and your cock and – oh, oh god–" His eyes rolled back and his body jerked as he came again, spilling out between his fingers and onto his stomach, and Jean's eyes were once again white with the strength of it. As he fell limp in Jean's arms, Jean pondered the size of his bathtub and sighed. He looked to the book that still sat on his desk, and of which Will had managed to read barely a page.

"I am never going to get around to finishing that," he said mournfully, and now it was William's turn to laugh.

Logistical Problems
kreska ido x nolan seward
cylinder station 12
NSFW

"Yanno if we had kids, they'd technically be half-human?"

"For fuck's sake, Lala, why wouldja say that? Th' fuck's wrong witchoo?"

"I'm just sayin', is all," Nolan said with a shrug.

Kreska was in no mood for such hypotheticals, currently straddling her best friend's lap and trying to figure out if it was feasible to get their genitals to fit together. "Keep talkin' 'bout spawnin' an' this ain't ever happenin'," she said with a scowl, sticking a hand between their hips to feel the outline of his erection against his jeans.

"Cartoon rules say we'd have a green boy an' a purple girl," he added, despite her protestation.

"Oh, ew, forget this," she said, shoving against his chest and preparing to swing her legs off of him. He stuck two fingers into the top of her jeans to stop her, and reached up to squeeze one of her breasts. Being in proportion with the rest of her, they weren't very large, and the size of his hands didn't help matters.

"Your nipples're hard," he pointed out with a grin, and she shoved him again.

"It's cold," she said, but he just kept feeling through the thin fabric of her shirt.

"It'll prolly fit, if you're nervous," he added, which helped not at all.

"I'm not scared," she said, peeling off her jacket to prove the point.

"I never said scared, I said nervous." He unbuttoned her jeans with entirely too much ease, and slid a hand inside them to rub between her legs. She yelped in surprise as his fingers found a sensitive spot, and his other hand wrapped around her thigh to hold her in his lap. "You are so bad at this," he teased.

"Fuck you," she said between her teeth, leaning forward to brace her hands against his shoulders.

"That was the plan," he agreed, and a finger slid inside her, hooked forward as his other hand went back to fondling her chest. "Ya kinda do smell like a pack o' gum," he added.

"You're th' one who's bad at this. Who th' hell says that kinda shit?" She dug her fingers into his skin, pressed dimples into the lean muscles there and wished she had fingernails long enough to claw at him. His finger was moving in long, slow strokes, entirely too well-practiced for someone only a year older than she was. With the hand between her legs he tugged her higher on his torso, lifted her top so he could lean closer and lick one of her nipples. "Ah! Fuck."

"Kinda taste minty, too. Swear too much, tho, 's'like fuckin' a prospector'r some shit." He took the entirety of one of her breasts in his mouth, and his tusks felt cold against her skin.

"Do not," she protested, and instinctively she tried to tangle her fingers in his hair, only to recoil at the amount of grease he used in it. "Oh, goddammit, ya stupid fuck, now'm all sticky."

"Kinda 'head o' schedule, but I was figgurin' on gettin' y'all sticky eventually," he said, and his breath felt strange against her skin where his mouth had been. She was going to smack him upside the head, but then he pushed a second finger inside her, and she bucked so hard she nearly fell backward. "You're gonna miss me," he accused, rolling suddenly so that she was pinned to the metal beneath him.

"Ain't nothin' t' miss," she scoffed, even as she squirmed, wiped her hands on her thighs and propped herself up on her elbows to watch him unbutton his jeans one-handed. "Not gonna be gone that long 'fore I join ya."

He made a noncommittal noise as he freed his erection, and if Kreska hadn't been trapped on his fingers she might have pulled herself away from him.

"Th' fuck! No, hell no, no goddamn way that's gonna fit, what th' hell."

He laughed, and his fingers didn't stop moving inside her, making her gasp and quiver despite herself. "Dunno why you're actin' so surprised, I been tellin' ya for two years now I gotta monster dick."

"I thoughtcha were talkin' shit! Ya didn't say ya were fuckin' serious."

"I'm always serious 'bout my dick."

It wasn't just the size of it that was the problem, though that would have been bad enough. It was the fact that it looked armored, dark grey plating forming ridges down the length of it. It looked like something he might use in his spare time to knock down castle fortifications.

"That is not gonna fit."

"I can make it fit," he said, and then laughed at the look of incredulity on her face, kissed her much more clumsily than he touched her. Kissing was hard, with tusks in the way. "Don'tcha trust me?"

"Th' lasstime ya said that, y'were tryin' t' sneak me into a concert in your duffel."

"… it worked, dinnit?"

"Woulda been great if ya'd remember'd t' lemme out."

"This'll be different. Never broke any o' my exes." She really didn't want to think about that, about him fucking human girls who treated him like a novelty, of pretty pink-skinned girls with pink parts whose sweat tasted like salt. He pulled her shirt higher so he could see both her breasts as she squirmed, licked at them with his tongue wide and flat.

"Your exes were human. They were bigger'n me."

"Ain't bigger on the inside," he said, free hand tugging her jeans down so he could see what he was doing. "'Sides, Jobari girls're tough."

"Th'fuck you know 'bout Jobari girls?" she hissed between her teeth, as he peeled the last of the denim away from her skin, ran the thumbs of his right hand along the outside of her.

"I know you," he pointed out, wrapping her legs around his waist, "an' I looked some stuff up."

"For fuck's sake, Lala, if y'were lookin' at green girl porn–"

"Know your enemy. Or your fuckbuddy. 'S basic tactics." His thumbs did something, then, stroked just so, and she felt something strange and hot and throbbing between her legs that she'd never felt before. Her back arched, eyes wide, and she gasped for air as pleasure seemed to shoot straight through to her fingertips. "See?" he said with a grin. "You've been fuckin' like a human this whole time."

"Have not," she lied, trying to look down to see what exactly he'd done, to figure out what her body was doing.

His thumbs did something again, and her whole body shuddered, eyes nearly rolling back in her head. "You're all floral an' shit," he said with a grin, which was not the explanation he seemed to think it was. "Got petals an' errything."

She wanted to yell at him, mock him, something, but her brain didn't seem to be functioning and her body wasn't doing much better. She'd thought she was full, but somehow he pushed a third finger inside of her, pumping in and out of her while his thumbs continued to do whatever the hell they were doing. The sounds she was making weren't quite screams, incoherent and ragged and gasping.

He leaned down to kiss her neck, hand sliding over her breasts while he nuzzled at her hair. "Yanno, you're kinda pretty when ya can't talk," he teased. She tried to tell him to go fuck himself, but she made a mewling noise instead, wrapping her arms around his neck and arching toward him. Her vision went white, her body stiff, fireworks behind her eyes until she went limp and shivery.

"You're a real asshole," she said finally, a hoarse whisper.

"An' you're th' most ungrateful bitch on th' station," he laughed, rubbing the tip of his nose against hers. She half-laughed and half-moaned as his fingers slid out of her, the hard head of his cock pressing against her in their stead.

"Still don' think it'll fit," she said, almost petulant.

"It'll fit," he said, and she bit her lip to stifle a tiny cry as he began to inch himself deeper inside her. "Think've earned th' right t' try, anyway. Ya can always tell me if ya can't handle it."

"You insufferable shit," she hissed, because of course he'd try to make it sound like a challenge. Nolan brought his hand to his mouth and began to very pointedly lick at his fingers, looking very self-satisfied.

"Y'remind me o' that green ice cream – 'cept without th' chocolate. Shoulda brought chocolate. Kinda tingly, too." He grinned, sucking on his fingertips.

"Y'ain't th' first person t' make th' brilliant observation, dipshit," she said, tapping her hand against the side of his face rather than actually hitting him. Still, there was something different about it when he said it, and somehow that annoyed her.

"Don' even joke," he warned, stopping what he was doing to catch Kreska's wrist. "Seriously," he added, eyes catching hers.

She furrowed her brow, looked to where his hand was wrapped around almost half her forearm. "… 'bout hittin' ya? Cuz I know I've hitcha harder'n that–"

"That's different," he said, letting her go to prop one hand beside her head, the other sliding underneath her thigh to hold her leg. "Jus' – it's a thing, okay?" His hips began to move again, still achingly slow, impossibly large and impossible hard. She could feel every bump and every ridge, and it was only halfway in when he began to rock his hips, tiny thrusts that still made her groan.

"Oh, nonono, you're not gettin' outta explainin' that easy," she said, as if there was anything easy at all about trying to accommodate him. "What kinda thing?"

"Really? Y'wanna play twenty questions right now?" He emphasized the question by thrusting slightly harder, slightly deeper than he had before. She stifled a scream, and very nearly hit him again on principle.

"What, ya mad?" she asked incredulously, and when he rolled his eyes she grinned. She knew his face well enough by now to know that an eyeroll that dramatic could only possibly mean that she was right. "You're embarrassed," she said gleefully, though this smugness was undercut when he thrust hard again to make her yelp. "It's some purple goat sex thing, innit? Ya been gettin' turned on errytime I smack ya inna head'r somethin'?"

"I swear t' fuck, Kreska," he said, though he was grinning as he said it, "I been real well-behaved, but don't think for one second I won't rail ya 'til ya can't fuckin' walk."

"Oh, please, you're a big fuckin' softie," she began, but was cut off with a reminder that in certain areas, he was still very hard. She squeaked and snarled, back arching and hips tilting. He pressed a hand to her stomach, leaned his face in close to hers.

"D'ya think if I get it all th' way in, I'll be able t' feel it?"

She punched him in the jaw almost as a reflex, the peculiar familiar intimacy that had developed as a result of her essential inability to do him any real harm. His response this time was immediate, ramming his hips as close to hers as physically possible, growling and opening his mouth wide around her throat so that the points of his tusks pressed into her skin. She screamed in earnest, this time, head falling backward and spine curving, knees digging into his sides.

"Don't fucking do that," he snarled against her skin, and she felt short of breath, heart racing. "Fuck's sake, I don't mind most o' th' time, but not now." He ran his tongue over her throat, pulled her shirt up over her head and wound it around his hand to trap her arms, licking her collarbones. His hips resumed their gentle rocking, and her heartbeat throbbed between her legs, against the cock inside her. "I'm tryna be nice, dammit."

"I dunno if you're anatomically capable o' nice," she said through her teeth, trying to pull her hands free and failing.

"God, don't – don't fucking struggle, what the fuck d'you think you're doin'?" His hips bucked erratically, involuntarily, and he sounded so put-upon that Kreska couldn't help but laugh.

"You're into some fucked-up shit, Lala," she said, and she nipped experimentally at the air between them. He growled and bit back as a reflex, then scowled at her when he realized what she'd done.

"No, you're just th'only girl who hits me when we're tryna fuck," he countered, and the hand not holding hers slid down to where their bodies met, did that same strange thing that his thumbs had been doing. She whimpered and rolled her hips, pleasure darting up her spine, muscles moving that she hadn't even been aware of possessing. She seemed almost to draw him in deeper as he touched her, and he grinned. "Toldja it'd fit."

Her inability to slap him was extraordinarily frustrating.

"If you've been lettin' me hitcha cuz it gives ya a hard-on, Imma be pissed."

"Just sometimes," he admitted easily, sliding his hand out from between her legs and up her stomach instead. He pressed down and thrust, grinning again as she cried out and squirmed. "Felt it," he added, leaning down to nuzzle at her hair.

"You're fuckin' gross," she asserted, though rocking her hips somewhat undercut the point she was trying to make.

"Ain't like I been rippin' your clothes off tryna assert dominance'r anythin'," he added, as if this was the only possibly reason she could object.

"Yeah, 'til now."

"This ain't rippin' or assertin' nothin'," he scoffed, pressing his lips to her neck. "This's special circumstances."

"What, cuz I'm only gonna see ya in chats for th' next year?" she scoffed, as if that alone wouldn't have been enough. The gentle rocking of his hips ceased, and he sighed, breath hot in her hair. "What?"

"Not goin' to a colony," he grunted more than said, "'m joinin' up with a service."

Kreska froze, and for the first time she almost forgot the anatomical impossibility currently in progress. "Real fuckin' funny," she said finally, "tellin' me not t' hitcha'n then sayin' shit t' make me." Nolan said nothing, but began to rock his hips again, thrusting just a little more vigorously than he had before. Her gasp was half arousal and half indignation, fire in her eyes. "You shittin' me? Ya waited 'til ya were balls-deep 'fore tellin' me this shit? This is your bullshit idea've how t' break th' news t' somebody?"

"Seemed like a good idea at th' time," he said flatly through gritted teeth, pulling out a little farther to thrust back in a little harder. Yellow eyes met her green ones, almost a dare. The fact that the distraction almost worked only made her angrier. And her arms were still trapped, so she couldn't even shove him, couldn't even punch him again.

So she headbutted him.

It probably hurt her forehead more than it hurt his nose, quite frankly. It definitely hurt more once he roared, released her hands so he could wrap a hand around her throat. His other hand went to her hip to hold her still, ramming into her and snarling. She snarled back, splaying her hands over his chest to shove at him. "You're such an asshole."

He adjusted his position, hands on her thighs as he leaned back, his body at an angle from hers. The loss of his warmth and his touch were almost as annoying as the fact that it was her fault for shoving him. "I was tryin' t'be nice," he protested, "but somebody kept hittin' me."

"That's not what I meant," she muttered, crossing her arms petulantly over her chest.

Nolan snorted a laugh. "Really? You're gonna try t' pout when you're all fulla dick?" He stroked between her legs, and a tiny cry escaped her despite herself, arms uncrossing to reach for him.

"That's cheating," she protested weakly, and he laughed, drew circles in strange places to make her gasp and arch. He slid his cock half out of her, still stroking, and she mewled and bucked her hips to try and pull him back in.

"… it really kinda is," he agreed, voice husky and low, sliding his hands under her legs to lift them higher. "God damn, Kreska," he breathed, touching her again as he thrust harder, her whole body moving as she writhed beneath him. "You're so fuckin' lucky I'm leavin', yanno that? How th' fuck's a girl so prickly feel so fuckin' good?"

Any other time, she would have had a comeback for that. But something seemed to change whenever he touched her like that, made her forget everything that wasn't aching and wanting and throbbing. She arched and rocked in time with his thrusts, crying out each time he drove into her, hands trying and failing to dig into the metal beneath her. When he adjusted his position again, hands on either side of her head, she gripped his forearms as if holding on for dear life.

"God, I wish I could just take ya with me," he swore heatedly, running his teeth over the exposed curve of her neck. "Shove ya in my bag an' hide ya in my bunk, an' every break I had I'd be doin' this." He leaned down to lick her nipples, hand sliding down to squeeze one breast while he sucked on the other. His hips were slamming into hers, growling and snarling while she whimpered and screamed, and then there were fireworks behind her eyes again, a strange explosion of nothingness and light.

She fell off her peak just as he hit his, cock shuddering and spasming inside her, making her scream again. Heat flooded her insides, pooled against the skin of her abdomen as he pulled out, and she squeaked indignantly as he collapsed on top of her. He was not quite heavy enough to crush her, at least, and she was grateful for the warmth if nothing else. She listened to him breathe as her heartbeat slowed, tempted to snuggle against him.

"… you're still an asshole."

He laughed, and pinned on top of her it shook her, making her smile though he couldn't see it. "You're impossible. Ain't gonna miss ya even a l'il."

"Agreed."

Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 11-10-2014

[Image: HbEntPl.jpg]
Negotiating Tactics
grilka
osiris lunar colony
NSFW - dubious consent

There was safety in numbers, Alex thought. It was why, when she'd agreed to meet with Grilka, it had been here. Somewhere between a restaurant and a bar, Grilka technically owned the place. But ey never broke the law, not really – that was what everyone said. Had never been seen to break the law, at least. So surely here, with witnesses – she'd be safe here.

She wasn't the sort of girl who did things like this. She was cautious, the kind of person who played it safe and by the rules. The rules, though, they didn't seem to be getting her anywhere. Still lived in the same ultra-low-rent apartment, still worked the same dead-end job. At least she wasn't planet-bound, anymore – but so far that didn't seem to be saying much.

She still wasn't breaking the rules, not exactly. That was the whole point. It wasn't breaking the rules to make a friend. It wasn't breaking the rules to accept a gift.

Alex had worn a white dress, because one of the quants in her office had said that Grilka liked to make friends with girls in white dresses. There wasn't much she could do with her hair, short as it was, but the red was supposed to work in her favor.

No one had told her what Grilka looked like, but Alex knew without being told when ey'd walked in. Or, not walked. Slithered, maybe, or slid, but not walked. The blue of eir scales seemed to glitter like sapphires, and ey didn't bother with the human affectation of clothes. Ey wore jewelry, instead, delicate chains and heavy rings. Two tongues darted out into the air, flicked in Alex's direction. The black horns that curled on either side of eir head made em look practically demonic, four arms made em look deific. Her hands balled into fists in her lap, and she wondered if she'd made a terrible mistake.

Her anxiety did not improve as the Krotazi drew closer, and she realized just how huge ey was. Even without a tail, even if ey'd had legs, ey would have been twice Alex's height.

It was no wonder her corner table was so far removed from the others. Grilka wouldn't have fit in any other configuration.

"Alexia Carey," ey said instead of asked, and the way eir dagger-teeth clicked together as ey spoke make her shudder. Ey loomed over the table, tongues darting out again, and she tried not to recoil. "Up, up, stand up and let me see you better," ey urged, and what would have been eir pelvis if ey'd been human rocked in eager figure-eights.

Alex jerked upright too quickly, terrified of doing or saying the wrong thing. Particularly with the talons on one hand tapping on the table, one of eir rings connected to a bracelet by a chain. The trailing end of Grilka's tail was circling them both, and Alex tried not to stare at it.

"Pretty, pretty!" Grilka said delightedly, clapping together the two highest of eir hands. The part of eir tail that had been behind Alex curled upward, slid behind her legs and underneath her as if she were being swept up by a makeshift chair. Alex yelped in surprise as she was swept off the ground, realizing only now that Grilka's tail was comprised of many smaller parts; tendrils separated to wrap around her calves and keep her from falling.

"Thank you?" she said, high-pitched; her eyes darted to the rest of the room, but none of the other patrons seemed to be paying them any attention.

"Oh, and you have spots," Grilka gasped, leaning closer to her; it took her a second to realize that ey meant her freckles. Two hands tugged downward on her sleeves to get a better look at her shoulders, while another two hiked her skirt halfway up her thighs. "You don't mind if I look, do you?" ey asked, as if the damage had not already been done. Alex tried to steady herself, but could only grip at the tail beneath her; tendrils slid along her fingers and seemed to writhe beneath her.

"It's – it's fine," Alex assured em breathlessly, and Grilka smiled like an anglerfish. Eir tongues flicked outward, brushed against either side of her face, and she flinched despite herself.

"You're so nice, Alexia Carey. What a nice little human you are. We'll be wonderful friends, I can already tell." The talons of one hand slid along her scalp, through her hair; another hand took her chin to turn her face this way and that, large pink eyes examining her closely through slitted pupils. The other two hands were underneath her skirt, running the edges of sharp talons along the tops of her stockings.

Alex wasn't quite sure how this had escalated so quickly, but she couldn't for the life of her think of a way to end it. Not without offending em, not without making the whole thing pointless.

"Oh, I love stockings! And heels, you always look like you're about to tip over in heels. You're blushing, Alexia Carey. Does that mean you're shy?"

"A little," Alex admitted, hoping vaguely that Grilka would take this as a hint.

"But you don't look shy," Grilka pointed out instead, lifting her on eir tail, the tendrils that had wrapped around her legs pulling her knees apart. She gasped, tendrils preventing her from pressing her legs back together, trapping her hands so she couldn’t pull her skirt back down. Of course she wouldn't look shy, spread out like that. "Are you too shy to kiss me? Humans can be so strange about kissing."

Alex imagined a scaly mouth pressing to hers, dagger-teeth sinking into her skin. Did everyone kiss em? Was that part of the bargain? "I don't mind kissing," she said, and Grilka smiled, mouth wide and sharp enough to have bitten off her head. Ey leaned forward, expectant; hesitantly, Alex stretched upward to press a chaste kiss to eir mouth.

It was so fast that by the time she realized what was happening, it was already too late. Tongues darted out, sliding between Alex's lips and pushing into her mouth. She tried to cry out, but it was muffled, one tongue wrapping around her own while the other slid down her throat. Ey tasted sour, the sweet kind, like candies or citrus. She still couldn't move her hands, her legs, but she tried anyway, tried to pull her face away. It wasn't until she gagged that the tongues slid back out of her mouth, Grilka's laugh a rattling sort of a noise.

"Humans are such terrible kissers," ey said, almost affectionately. Alex swallowed hard, wondered what it was that made her feel embarrassed about being inadequate at something she'd never wanted. Ey ruffled her hair, patted the inside of her thigh while lighting up a cigarette. The smoke was thick and sweet and faintly purple, and it billowed out from between eir teeth. "Nanya said you were looking for work? What do you do, hm?"

Even as ey asked, she felt scales sliding underneath her skirt, wrapping around her thighs. She glanced downward, but white fabric fell just low enough that she couldn't see anything higher than the tops of her stockings. "I… I'm a programmer," she said, wishing she could close her legs, trying and failing.

Grilka drew on eir cigarette, tongues flicked toward Alex in another cloud of smoke. She breathed more than she'd intended, coughed at the sticky feeling in her lungs. "Oh, that's easy," ey said with a wave of one hand. "Programmers, I always have friends in need of programmers. Are you any good?"

Scales slid higher on her thighs, prodded against the fabric between her legs. Alex yelped, legs straining to try and pull away and press together. Grilka cocked eir head to the side curiously, the chains around eir horns hanging sideways and smoke surrounding Alex again.

"You don't mind, do you?" Grilka asked, as if it had only just occurred to em that there might be something objectionable about attempted public penetration. "You human girls, you're so much prettier this way. It isn't like I'm going to fuck you properly, anyway, not here. We wouldn't be able to talk, would we? I just want to play with you a little, since you look so cute."

"Is that all?" Alex croaked, throat aching from eir smoke and eir tongue, something unseen still pressing between her legs. "How… flattering." Even secondhand, the smoke was making her feel drowsy and limp, and she wondered what effect it had on Krotazi.

Grilka practically beamed, talons patting Alex's cheek. "I knew you'd understand," ey said, darting tongues at her again. "Such a nice girl, Alexia Carey. I have many friends who'd love to work with a girl as nice as you are. Are you any good, did you say?"

With no preamble or fanfare, a scaled tendril slid beneath the thin barrier of lace and began to push inside of her. Alex bit down on her lower lip to stifle a whimper, as tendrils pulled her legs yet further apart. "I think I'm pretty good," she squeaked, choking back a tiny cry as it forced its way deeper.

Grilka clicked eir teeth together disapprovingly. "No, that won't do. Commit to it – either you're good or you aren't. I can't tell if you're being modest. Are you good?"

It pushed deeper and deeper, until it had nowhere else to go, and she was whimpering still. The tail beneath her brought her closer to eir torso, rearranged itself to pull her hands away and prod at her spine, arranging her body into an uncomfortable arch. "I'm very good," she said between gritted teeth, as the thing inside her began to slide in and out.

"Much better," ey said, bending down to kiss her again. Eir tongues forced her mouth open, wide enough that ey could exhale smoke into it. The tendril inside her thrust hard inside, enough to make her gasp, forcing her to inhale. Grilka laughed again as Alex began to cough, feeling lightheaded. "Would you mind having to move?" A hand on her jaw forced her to lean further backward, two more adjusting the set of her shoulders.

She closed her eyes, her body feeling strange, heavy in some places and light in others. It reminded her of swimming, made her feel like her body was not entirely her own. Easier, this way, to let Grilka pose her as ey pleased. "I'd be happy to," she said, and her tongue felt somehow too large for her mouth.

"Oh, that will be even easier, then," Grilka said conversationally, talons hooking in the top of her dress to pull it lower and expose her breasts. One hand still held her head tilted, and somewhere in the back of Alex's mind she wondered idly if predators particularly enjoyed the sight of exposed throats. The unnatural curve her body had been forced to assume forced her breasts up and out, like an offering. "I know a lot of places that'd like an in-house programmer. You're sure you'd still like to do programming? A nice girl like you'd get better pay as a fucktoy."

"Programming," she choked immediately, even through her haze, "not – not that." The scaled tendril that had been inside her slid out, but was immediately replaced with one larger, thicker; it pushed inside with surprising ease, and she couldn't tell if that was because she was wetter than she'd thought or because she was so relaxed. Half-numb, it seemed like, as if her muscles couldn't be bothered with being tense.

"Such a waste," Grilka sighed, and eir tongues wrapped around her nipples and tugged. The tendril that had been inside her before, still slick, was sliding up beneath her, probing eagerly at places less-explored. Alex began to whimper again, and the scales wrapped around her hands released them. Ey wrapped eir talons around her wrists, placed her hands on her breasts with her fingers splayed so ey could still lick and tug at her nipples. "Hold those," ey asked, as if ey were handing her something. She squeezed obediently, if only because it gave her something to hold onto as a tendril forced its way into her ass.

"I'll talk to some of my friends, then – I'm sure at least one will have a place for you." Hands went to her hips, fingers long enough that they spanned her entire waist, holding her still while tendrils pumped harder inside her. The hand that had been on her throat released her, and another cloud of smoke seemed to surround her before two more hands hooked under knees. The tendrils that had been holding her legs released them, and instead ey held her with her legs spread high and wide.

She didn't seem to have the energy to leave her pose, stretched out and bent, even without anything holding her there anymore. Her hips were rocking involuntarily, whimpering again, and she could hear Grilka rattling another laugh. She began to convulse, body jerking with a climax slow and heavy and unlike any she'd felt before; it was followed by another, and another, rolling through her like waves until she was shaking and limp.

"So cute," Grilka cooed, Alex breathing hard as ey pulled her hands from her chest, tugged her dress back into place. "Wasn't that fun?" Eir tail moved, tendrils moving with it, pulling out only when ey'd settled her back into her chair. Alex pulled her skirt down, pressed her knees together as best she could when her whole body seemed weak.

'Fun' didn't really seem like the word, but she nodded anyway, wrapping her arms around herself with eyes darting around the room. Absolutely no one as far as she could tell was acknowledging what had just happened. She couldn't even tell, looking at Grilka's tail, which were the parts of it that had been inside her.

"I can't stay to eat," ey sighed mournfully, "but the waiter will get you whatever you want. The memti makes it hard for you little ones to walk, I think, so I'll send someone to take you home. I'll call about that job, yes?" Alex watched as ey left, slithering out as smoothly as ey'd come in.

"… what the fuck just happened."

[Image: SYHfTWt.jpg]
Morning After
ixaaliot & kreska ido
osiris lunar colony

By the time Ix woke up, Kreska had already broken into his freezer, eating straight out of a pint container of caramel gelato. He'd have been able to tell she hadn't showered even if he had his glasses on; aside from glowing like a firefly to his ultraviolet vision, his whole kitchen smelled like mint. He had spare clothes in the guest room, but she seemed to have passed out in her jeans and leather jacket.

"You realize if you'd waited until I woke up, you could have had swana cakes."

"Bullshit, 'coulda'," the half-Jobari said around a mouthful of gelato. "This shit ain't an ingredient, just fuckin' make some anyway." Holding a spoon in her mouth, she pressed the lid back on to the container, much to Ix's disgust.

"Prata nena, Ido, don't just put it away, that's disgusting," he said, opening the fridge to retrieve the things he needed for breakfast. He was already dressed, had already numbed his cephalic tentacles to prepare for the day, and he was eager to eat something to distract him from the taste of artificial citric acid.

"What?" she said around the spoon, before pulling it out and tossing it across the kitchen into the sink. "Iun wannit anymore, th' fuck'm I s'posed t' do, jus' leave it out t' melt?"

Having barely ducked out of the way of the projectile utensil, Ix rolled his eyes as he grabbed a magnetic marker, tossing much more gently toward Kreska. "Fine. But label it, and take it with you when you go home. And use a bowl, next time."

"Couldn't figger out where ya kept 'em," she said as she caught the marker.

"… it's clearly labeled," he pointed out, as Kreska wrote a giant letter 'K' on the lid and he set a pan out on the stove.

"It is?" She squinted at the cupboards, grinning and snorting a laugh as she saw that it was. "Holy shit, you're such a fuckin' nerd. If I labeled my cupboards I'd hafta kick my own ass."

Ix rolled his eyes again, though his back was to her while he whisked. "It is supposed to stop this sort of thing from happening. Aren't your bones made out of toothpicks?"

"Fuck you, bird bones. Did a hooker actually vomit on ya yesterday?"

He did not miss the sudden change of subject, but he politely chose to ignore it. "How did you even hear about that?"

"How'dja think? Grilka is a gossipy bitch is how, obvi. Xotll giva ya pity booze?"

"No, I decided to go somewhere new." He said it very casually, but Kreska was not fooled, standing to put the gelato back in the freezer and elbowing him on the way.

"Ya hate new shit," she pointed out, as if he did not already know.

"I don't see how that's relevant to the conversation."

"Y'were gone all night."

"I had a difficult day. I was vomited on." He tried to ignore Kreska's shit-eating grin, though it was harder to ignore when she jabbed him in the side with a finger. How could anyone so small be so annoying?

"Y'met a giiiiiirl," she said instead of asking, pulling herself up on the counter to sit on it despite his repeated exhortations that she not do so. "She gotta mean pimp?"

"I don't see how it follows that she's a sex worker," he said loftily, dropping batter into hot oil.

"Cuz it's always a hooker, an' she's always gotta mean pimp, or else she's got a drug habit, or she's runnin' a long con on ya, an' then ya end up witcher arms broke ain't learned shit. Toss me a soda, wouldja?"

"You know I can kick you out, right?" he asked, even as an arm not occupied with cooking reached into the fridge to grab her one. "I don't have to let you stay here."

"Naw," she said, catching the bottle. "I'm all fucked up'n sad lookin' today, trips all your damsel triggers cuz you're a dumbass. Gimme the deets on your new crush." Despite being small and elfin and a fetching shade of green, Kreska Ido was as much a damsel in distress as a tarantula.

"I had one conversation with a woman who seemed very happy and not at all in need of rescuing, thank you very much," he said, dropping finished cakes into a bowl of crystallized honey. "Don't think I don't know you're going to be telling Grilka about this."

"Pfft," she scoffed, cracking the bottle open on the edge of the counter she was sitting on. "Would I do that t'a friend? What's her name?"

"None of your business," he said, answering the second question first. "You'd do that to your own mother."

"Yeh," she agreed, "but m'mom's a bitch, that don' count. You're not tellin' me cuz she's gotta stripper name."

"She was a bartender, and I don't want Grilka pestering her. She was very nice, and fully dressed." He was pretty sure it wasn't a stripper name. He was not, despite his experience in the field, entirely sure of what constituted a 'stripper name'. Somehow he thought that any name he gave would be accused of such.

"Didjer neck do th'thing? Didja do that thing where ya tip a hundred percent?" He didn't know when they'd become so familiar, when they didn't even like each other.

"My neck is none of your business, and I did not tip a percentage," he said, pulling another package out of the fridge and tossing its contents into a different skillet.

"Oooooh shit. Didja give her onna th' reserved chits?" He did not answer, did not even turn to look at her, but apparently she was capable of divining a response from his back. "Fuck's sake, ya totally did! Motherfucker's all high an' mighty not payin' for sex an' ya gave some rando three hundred credits so she might call ya. Dumbass. That bacon?"

"This is Jobari bacon, which you are not getting because you're a disgusting person," he said, getting himself a soda as he watched the bio-engineered protein strips curl in the pan.

"What! What! Fuck you, since when can ya get Jobari bacon on this fuckin' colony, what th' fuck." For the first time, she sounded legitimately annoyed.

"You never asked. Get off the counter. You know you can use my shower, right? This whole apartment smells like a pack of gum, now."

"Stayin' witcha ain't worth half th' trouble, swear t' fuck," she muttered, though she did slide off the counter to sit on a stool instead.

"Maybe you should think of that next time before you cheat at cards. Then you can stay at your house, like a civilized person." Despite his claims to contrary, the plate he set before her was piled high with cakes and bacon, and she didn't even bother using the fork he'd placed beside it.

"I don' cheat," she said around a mouthful of swana, "'m just so great it's unbelievable."

His own plate was much more modest, and unlike Kreska, he was willing to put forth the effort required for utensils. "Well, just explain that to the people waiting at your building to murder you. I'm sure that will end wonderfully. Did you at least get enough in plats to make it worth it?"

"No. Fuckers stole all m' shit 'cept th' one, now'm worse in th'hole'n before."

"Planning to ask Grilka to bail you out?"

"Naw, ey's all mad at me an' shit, ain't in th' mood for em t' be all smug about it. I'll figger somethin' out, Iunno. Tell me more 'boutcher chick. Does she like ya?"

"… she said I was cute. And a tease." Ix chewed his cake and looked impassive while Kreska cackled.

"An' you said…?" she prompted, when her snickering had ceased.

"… I said she had horrible taste." Kreska closed her eyes and pressed her hands to her face in a display of horror. "I think I explained the legal distinction between possession and parenthood." She tried, and failed, to restrain a snort of laughter. "I might have said I was emotionally invested in what she put in her mouth." She gave in to her desire to laugh, cackling as she pushed her plate out of the way, hitting her head dramatically against the counter.

"Lio. Lio. You're a fuckin' wreck."

"I don't think someone with your love life is in any place to judge. I'm pretty sure the last time you got laid was with–"

"Ssshhhh. Sh. No. We don' ever talk 'bout that."

Ix collected both their plates, cleaning the kitchen with as much speed as one might expect from a man with four arms. "Go take a shower," he repeated. "I need to check back on some of Grilka's friends today, I'll mention that you're having trouble. I'm sure someone will be willing to do you a favor without expecting too much. Okay? Feel free to not be in my house later."

"You're a real prince charmin', man."

"Yes. Observe, as I ride my golden catfish down the moonfall to impress my destined mates."

"… fuckin' Siladen fairy tales're weird as shit, dude."

Making Friends
grilka & ixaaliot & kreska ido
osiris lunar colony

"Kreska Ido?" Ix repeated, eyes narrowing. "As in, Teraka Ido?"

The tiny green woman struggling furiously against Grilka's tendrils rolled her eyes, as if she had any room to be exasperated. "Can we not do this right now?" she snarled between grit teeth.

Grilka – who had previously been trying to coax the girl into performing unnatural acts – was now watching Ix curiously, instead. The Krotazi was smarter than ey looked, and more aware of Terran Allied culture than ey let on. Ey may not have recognized the name, but ey recognized Ix's recognition, the significance of his incredulity.

She looked about right, now that she said it. Not quite entirely Jobari, as dark-skinned and tall and foul-mouthed as she was. There weren't many half-Jobari floating around the universe, not with their superiority complex and propensity for making themselves toxic. About the right age, as well, to have been born after the signing of the treaty with the N'sazz.

But what the hell would Captain Robinson's daughter be doing cheating at mahjong on Osiris, of all places?

"How many times have you been to jail?" he asked, because there was no way in hell she was a first-timer. Her grin was oddly carnivorous, considering her apparent species.

"I'm clean's a whistle," she said, all smug, which only confirmed what Ix had been suspecting.

He gestured for Grilka to bring her closer to him, which ey did only because ey wanted to see what he would do. Ix didn't take charge very often in these sorts of 'negotiations', and Grilka had learned the value in letting him do so when he wished. Unfortunately, Grilka's delight in making people assume uncomfortable poses displeased Ix almost as much as Kreska.

"Could you – would you make her comfortable, please?" Ix asked, exasperated. "I'm trying to have a conversation, I can't talk to her like this."

"I don't see why not," the Krotazi said airily, tracing a talon over the curve of one of eir horns. "I haven't put anything in her mouth, yet." Nonetheless, ey made a small effort to accommodate Ix's request, rearranging eir tail and the woman ey was holding. In the end, she was sitting in a manner almost demure, though her wrists and ankles were still bound with scaled tendrils to keep her from darting.

Ix tried to see the echoes of old propaganda posters in her face, bloodlines that had lead armies. "I'd heard they had a kid," he said finally, "but I thought you were on Kotii."

"I get that a lot," she said, snarling less now that she'd been given some semblance of dignity.

"Based on the fact that you sound like station scum–"

"–hey!"

"– I'm going to guess you and your mother aren't close." He didn't mention her father, because that wouldn't have been a matter of choice, not when he'd been lost in a deep space anomaly before she was born. Half the Terran Alliance was still in mourning – that was what made her untouchable.

That was what made her useful.

"My family's nunna your business," she said, with a curl of her lip that did not suit the delicate features of her face.

"Right. You realize most of the things I want to know will be matters of public record, right? Moving around would have left a records trail, now that I know to look for it." Kreska sneered, and Ix rolled his eyes. "For right now, I do not care even a little how much of a disappointment you are. What I care about instead is that my friend and I have been looking for a courier. Someone who can handle more delicate deliveries."

She looked intrigued despite herself. "What kindsa deliveries?"

"That is none of your business," Ix said shortly. "These deliveries are gifts. They are for the recipient's eyes only. They are not to be looked at by the courier or anyone else." Enforcers, he did not say, but he could see by the way she narrowed her eyes that she got the gist.

Somewhere in the back of his mind he registered that he was blackmailing the daughter of two of the Terran Alliance's greatest heroes into becoming a drug mule. He registered, too, how easy it was for him to do it.

"So I do this job for ya–"

"Not a job," he corrected. "A favor. For my friend. Who will be, subsequently, your friend. And therefore willing to overlook this minor indiscretion on your part. Won't you, Grilka?"

"I am very forgiving, for friends," ey conceded graciously, and Kreska snarled again as Grilka tried to run talons through her hair. "More forgiving for friends who play nice," ey added with a disapproving click of eir teeth.

"I'm willin' t' settle for less forgivin'," she said, and though Grilka was clearly displeased ey refrained from trying to touch her again. It was one of few traits about em that he appreciated.

"We'll see," ey said, a glint in eir eye, a testament more to eir opinions about eir own irresistibility than anything. What was most surprising to Ix was how often ey was right. "Do we have an agreement, Kreska Ido?"

She seemed to take her time mulling over her options, as if there were options at all. She hummed, she sucked at her teeth, she made faces more obnoxious than thoughtful. How she could be willing to risk that kind of behavior when Grilka seemed as ready to eat her as negotiate was beyond him.

"Yeah, a'ight," she said finally with a shrug. "One favor ain't gonna kill me."

Dead Meat
kreska ido
terran allied station

Kreska Ido's first kidnapping was at the age of five, for political reasons.

«We are going to a memorial for your father,» Teraka Ido had explained.

«Jobari do not have fathers,» Kreska had said.

«You are not Jobari,» her mother had said, in a very matter-of-fact way. It was the same matter-of-fact way that she explained things like the composition of the stars, the vileness of killing things in order to use them as resources, and the inherent superiority of the Jobari.

Her mother had told her to wait in the hall while she spoke to someone. Kreska had spent most of her first trip off of Kotii waiting in featureless hallways. She wore a dress of white Jobari silk, boots of Jobari leather, her hair in braids and decorated with flowers as was traditional. It was the finest, and most alien, outfit her mother could have chosen for the trip.

She perked up immediately when the strangers entered the hallway. She'd spoken to no one so far who was not her mother, was not Jobari, none of the people who had organized this celebration of a person she'd never known. A chance to meet strangers was exciting, and she checked the door near where she was sitting to be sure her mother was still busy.

The strangers seemed as nervous as she was excited, though she wasn't quite able to read their expressions. Jobari didn't use their faces in quite the same way, not the way Kreska did. She slid down from the seat, made for someone much taller than a toddler from a species whose maximum height was 1.3 meters.

"╓╫╜┣┹┦╒╡╉┶┽╖╘╝?" she asked. "╒╪╬╤╛┍┛╟╫╖┎╀╢ ╚╡╞╬╪╛┣━┛║╠╪╡╠╬╪╪╡╒╩╕…" She trailed off as she realized they were staring at her, no comprehension whatsoever in their eyes. Teraka spoke differently when she spoke to aliens, a language she had never really bothered teaching Kreska. But she had, as children do, picked up a few things. "… are you… human?" she asked, her Kotii accent thick, her vowels wide and her consonants as crisp as if she were taking a bite out of an apple. "Men?" she added, because she didn't know what a man was, exactly, but she was excited to find out. Her father had been a man, or so she'd been told.

One of the strangers bent down to get closer to her level, and he tilted his head up and then down. "Yes," he said, and she frowned, because she couldn't understand why he was speaking so loudly all of a sudden. What if her mother heard? "We are hyoo-mans," he said, and the puzzled furrow of her brow grew deeper, because she couldn't understand either why he was pronouncing things so strangely.

"This isn't going to work," the other muttered irritably, arms crossed. "She doesn't even look like him."

"What did you think she was going to look like?" the other muttered back, as if she could not hear them perfectly well. "Did you think she was going to have his eyes?" He smiled at Kreska, a big wide thing with so many teeth it didn't feel like a smile at all. "Are you Captain Robinson's daughter?" he asked, and again he was speaking loudly, slowly, in a way that he hadn't when he was talking to the other stranger.

"┠╫╜╚╗," she said, slowly, giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't understand names unless they were spoken slowly and at great volume, as seemed to be his custom. "Captain Robinson was my father," she added. "Did you know him?"

"You could say that," the loud stranger said, which seemed like an utterly meaningless thing to say. She clearly had a much poorer grasp on this language than she'd thought. "Would you like to come with us?" he asked. "We have cookies in the other room, and toys."

Kreska hesitated. "I do not know those words," she said finally. "What are they?"

"You don't know–" He made a noise, unhappy sounding, and rubbed a hand over his face. She wondered why, and rubbed a hand over her nose experimentally, to see if it accomplished something. She was half-human, after all. "They're good things," he said, smiling too-wide again. "Nice things. You'll like them."

"Fuck's sake, Dave," the standing man hissed through his teeth, "we're running out of time. Just pick her up, let's go."

"This will be easier if she likes us," Dave hissed back, exasperated.

"She can like us after we get her on the ship."

Dave rolled his eyes, and Kreska looked toward the ceiling, trying to figure out what he'd been looking at. "║╟┈╨╜!" she said in some alarm as he suddenly lifted her off the ground, and she curled in on herself instinctively. He began carrying her away from the door that held her mother, and she began to feel the faintest stirrings of alarm. "I do not like this," she said, but Dave continued walking. She frowned, looked back to the shrinking door, and tried tapping him on the shoulder, as if perhaps he had not heard her. "I do not like this," she repeated, louder and slower.

"Shut her up," said the not-Dave stranger, and Kreska was beginning to decide that she did not like him.

"You have to be quiet, okay?" Dave said, sounding anxious. "It's like a game."

"I. Do. Not. Like. This," she repeated instead, louder, because they'd turned a corner and she wasn't sure if her mother would be able to tell where she'd gone. Dave's response was to shift the way he held her, and put a hand over her mouth.

That didn't seem right.

She protested again, loud although she was muffled, and tiny hands attempted to peel his away from her face. She got it loose enough that she was able to bite down, which wasn't a particularly Jobari thing to do, but she was starting to panic. Dave yelped and yanked his hand away. "I do not like this," she yelled into his face, and Dave and his friend were now beginning to run.

"I told you we should have brought a bag," the other man said.

"I am not putting Captain Robinson's daughter in a goddamn bag," Dave snapped back, and she didn't understand why they couldn't just call her Kreska. She tried to squirm out of his arms, but he responded by throwing her over his shoulder, so that her kicking wouldn't cause him to lose his grip.

This was the point at which Kreska realized that he was not going to be putting her down. Or listening to her at all, for that matter. She decided, for that reason, that she didn't want anything to do with Dave the Human.

Instead of trying to get down, she pulled herself up, higher onto his shoulders. "Hey!" he said, but by the she had already managed to get her foot onto his shoulder, and used it to jump upward. She grabbed something like a pipe on the wall, and climbed it like a vine, quickly enough that neither man was able to grab her before she'd climbed up to the ceiling. "Goddammit," Dave yelled, which seemed like a nonsense word.

"… you fucked up, Dave," said the still-nameless friend, and he did not sound angry.

"I can fix this," insisted Dave. "Christ, she's like a fucking lemur–"

A noise began, a hideous wailing coming from the ceiling that nearly startled Kreska into falling. "I do not like this," she said again, but the ceiling noises seemed to care about as much as Dave had.

"And now the alarms are going off," not-Dave said with a sigh. "You fucked up, Dave."

Dave, who had been trying to jump high enough to grab one of Kreska's ankles, turned now to face the other man. His eyes were wide, and he was holding up both his hands in a gesture Kreska did not recognize. "I swear to God," he said, "just help me out, just help me get her down and we can go, okay?"

"You knew the deal," he said, reaching into his coat. The not-Dave human looked up at Kreska, and she didn't understand the look on his face. "You did this," he said, which seemed rather unfair when they were the ones who'd tried to run away with her. He pointed at Dave, and a sound like thunder made her flinch, trying to cover her ears with her shoulders.

When Teraka Ido found her daughter, she was halfway to the cargo bay, prodding at a corpse.

«You,» Teraka said sternly, «have ruined your dress.» It had, indeed, been stained quite irrevocably. «Do not stand in his blood, that is extraordinarily unhygienic, get over here.»

«I don't think this human's body works anymore,» she said, continuing despite her mother's protests to stand in the widening pool of red.

«He is dead,» Teraka corrected shortly. Kreska looked up, wide-eyed and alarmed.

«He had no children?»

«He is human,» Teraka explained, coming near enough to take Kreska by the arm and yank her away from the body. «They are not their children.»

Kreska considered this as men in uniforms began to swarm over Dave, words like supremacists and frame-up and conspiracy. «How sad,» she said finally. She felt like she might have liked Dave, if he hadn't tried to carry her away from her mother.

«He was an inferior creature of little value,» Teraka corrected. «There is nothing for the rational mind to find sad in this.»

«His name was Dave,» Kreska said, though she didn't know why. Teraka looked at her sharply, her mouth a thin line. She took Kreska by the shoulders, and turned her to face the body again.

«You feel an irrational human sorrow,» Teraka said, «because this man has died a human death, permanent and pointless. Your father died a human death, no greater a death than this man. For a great man to die so – that is tragic. Your father is dead, and you are half-human, so the best you can do is learn from his mistakes. Do you know what killed him, Kreska?»

She didn't want to look at Dave any more, at the meat that used to hold a person, at meat like her father had been. "I do not like this," she said quietly, but the set to her jaw was stubborn.

«Your father died,» Teraka continued, «because he could not understand that some people are worthless. You are not Jobari. You may not outlive this body of yours. Do not make your father's mistake.»

Rescue Mission
kreska ido & dr karek
stolen cargo ship

The second time someone tried to kidnap Kreska Ido, they did it for money, and they succeeded, for a time. She was nine years old, and on her way to Cylinder Station 12, to live with her father's relatives. They had stolen her off her transport ship, hidden her in a suitcase. They kept her in a small, dark room, tied to a chair with tape on her mouth.

When they contacted Teraka Ido for a ransom, they did it over a live video feed, so that they could confirm that Kreska was alive and in their custody.

"Don't play games with us," the tall one said, sneering. "This is Captain Robinson's daughter. The Terran Alliance isn't just going to leave her to rot."

"You have made a critical error," Teraka said impassively, "in assuming that I speak for the Terran Alliance. I left the Forces nine standard years ago. Captain Robinson martyred himself for peace, and they have spent nearly a decade wishing he had done it for war. Kill his daughter, and you will give them their martyr. They will sweep over your little fringe worlds like wildfire, and her corpse will fuel more propaganda than she ever could have living."

"And you'd just let them do that," she short one said, "to your daughter?"

"Your other error," Teraka continued, "is a misunderstanding of Jobari reproduction. I am biologist, a bio-engineer, and a master geneticist." She leaned closer to the camera, the same face she'd had for as long as Kreska could remember. "If I really wanted," she explained frankly, "I could make another one." The feed went dead.

The men holding her hostage had not anticipated this. Kreska had, but she also held some hope that it was a negotiating tactic.

She spent another week tied to her chair before someone came to rescue her. She was still in her small, dark room when it happened, and so she didn't know what exactly occurred. Only that there was suddenly a great deal of noise, and then a great deal of silence. When the door opened, she flinched away from the light; they'd given her so little that she was exhausted, far more exhausted than a nine-year old had any right to be.

"It's okay," said the stranger, voice unfamiliar and male. "I'm here to help." Kreska nodded her understanding, though by that point she didn't much care. He hesitated before he untied her, staring at her face. He had hooded eyes, so dark they were almost black, and Kreska thought there was something kind-looking about him. Tired, but kind. "I didn't realize," he said, half to himself. "Until now, I think… I think part of me thought you'd have his eyes." There was a rueful tilt to his mouth, a shake of his head. "Isn't that stupid?" He took the tape from her mouth very carefully, much more carefully than her captors ever had. They hadn't been sure if the rumors about Jobari spitting acid were true, hadn't wanted to risk it.

"Did Teraka send you?" she asked before she could stop herself. Her Terran Standard had improved the last few years, but her accent was still thick, just like her mother's.

She couldn't see his face when he answered, busy cutting the ropes around her legs. "Yes," he said, and she was sure he was lying. He picked her up, once again very gentle, and carried her to where he'd docked his ship to this one. She pressed her ear to his chest, and heard nothing.

The men who'd kidnapped her were scattered about, but they seemed to still be breathing. "You didn't kill them," she said, sounding almost surprised.

"I don't kill people," he said, as they moved onto his ship, a tiny old thing designed as a short-distance shuttle.

"Because you don't want to," she wondered, "or because your programming won't let you?" It was genuine curiosity.

"You could tell?" he asked, and it hadn't occurred to her until then that perhaps she wasn't meant to have.

"You blink every five seconds exactly."

He made a noise like a grunt, though he had neither lungs nor vocal cords. He set her down on what looked like it was meant to be a dining room table. "I'm going to give you a quick physical, okay? Just to be sure." She nodded, and he pressed his fingers to either side of her neck. "It's because I don't want to," he added, and this time when he blinked his eyes began to glow blue. He was scanning her, top to bottom, blood to bones, and she was neither old enough nor human enough just yet to feel self-conscious.

"Does it make you sad when people die?" she asked.

"Yes," he said, still scanning, "it does." They were both silent for a moment. "Not going to tell me that's irrational?" he asked finally.

"Feelings aren't supposed to be rational," she said, entirely too certain for her age. "That's what makes them feelings."

"So you believe a droid can have feelings," he said more than asked, that same rueful tilt to his mouth again.

Her brow furrowed and her lips pursed. Her mother, certainly, tended to make strong claims on that subject. She didn't trust anything that didn't grow from a seed. "Of course," she said. "My… Captain Robinson had a droid on his crew. He was a doctor, too. They were in love."

He stared at her for a long moment. Stared, not scanned, because his eyes weren't glowing any more. "I'm going to disengage," he said finally, "and start us on a course to get you home."

She watched him go, and sat with her hands in her lap. She looked around the room, but there weren't many personal touches, nothing to make it feel lived-in. She supposed an android wouldn't need that kind of thing. The engine did not so much roar to life as hum, and she found herself slightly disappointed.

"You know about Theodora?" he asked when he returned, leaning against the doorway.

"I watched all the old videos," she explained. Including the ones that had never been posted, including the raw footage from before the TAF had edited them into respectability. The TAS Theodora, her father's Island of Misfit Toys.

"Teraka let you watch them?" he asked. She remained silent, and looked at her feet. They'd taken her shoes, because they thought it would make it harder for her to run. "Your mother loved him, too," he said, as if coming to her defense.

"Teraka Ido is chemically incapable of love," Kreska said matter-of-factly.

"They're – they're your parents," he said, sounding almost strained. "You don't have to call them by their names." He ran a hand through messy black hair. "They loved each other – really, they did. And she loves you."

"I am a failed experiment," she said, gently, as if he was the one who would be hurt by this information. And he was, though she'd tried to be nice about it.

"Teraka does not think that you're–"

"You don't have to lie," she said, in that same gentle way. "She told me." He looked stricken. "You don't have to treat me like a child. I'm Jobari."

"They – she…" He scratched at his head, and he wondered if thoughts and feelings felt the same across circuitry as they did across neurons. He came closer, and took her hands, looking very serious. "Your mother is unbelievably bad at handling her emotions," he said, as if she hadn't figured that out. "She loved your father, and now she kind of hates your father, and she kind of hates herself for hating him. If… if, sometimes, she seems like she hates you, she doesn't. She just. Hates the people you're made of."

"You're being very rational," she said, which was high praise from a Jobari, "but that doesn't make me feel better." Nothing about him was familiar, but it seemed like he should have been. "Did you know them?" she asked, because she didn't remember ever seeing him in their videos.

"… not really," he said with a simulated sigh, which told her absolutely nothing.

"Maybe you could… tell me your name?" she suggested.

He looked rueful again. "Li Shizhen," he said, and he looked faintly amused as he said it, which probably meant he was lying again.

"Okay," she agreed anyway. "Dr. Li. Did my physical look okay?"

"Oh! Oh, yeah. You're – you're fine. A little malnourished, you need to get some sunlight, but otherwise you're fine." He looked sheepish, walked over to some of the cupboards and unlocked them in search of something. "I don't really have, uh, food. I tried to grab some things for you, but I was in a hurry…" He pulled out a plastic package of some kind. "I have cookies?" he offered helplessly.

"Someone offered me a cookie once," she said, perking up. "But I haven't ever had one." He tossed it to her, and she caught it, tearing open the package slowly and carefully. "You act very human," she said, trying to read the label on the package in her hands. It was written in Terran Standard, and for some reason the letters never seemed to work quite right for her, never in the order they should have beem. "Is that on purpose?"

It wasn't the best way to have phrased the question, but she didn't know a better way. His hesitations, the way he spoke, the noises he made and the expressions he wore – all of them were things that would have been accidental, if a human had done them. But he was a droid.

"Not even remotely," he laughed, and there was something familiar about that laugh that she couldn't quite place. "I am a series of glitches with a medical degree." It was a single-serve package he'd given her, a circular baked good as big as her head. Cautiously, she took a bite – and her eyes widened, huge as saucers. "What?" he asked, alarmed, stepping nearer to her. "Is something–"

"Thish ish–" she began around a mouthful of chocolate chip. "╔╬╡┡┅┅┵╖," she said, because she didn't have the right words in any other language.

"… you like it, then."

"I would like more of these," she said between bites, eating entirely too quickly.

"Oh, no," he said, though he said it fondly. "You're going to be jumping off the walls, climbing all over the cockpit, flying us into wormholes – I can see it now, I've created a monster."

Kreska froze, the particular stillness of sudden realization and potential glee. "You'd let me fly the ship?" she asked, and in her excitement she smiled wide for the first time since he'd rescued her.

She didn't know it, but she had exactly her father's smile.

"Absolutely," he said, after a long pause. "You may absolutely fly this ship."

Familiarity
ixaaliot & kreska ido
osiris lunar colony

"I can't believe you wore that," said Ixaaliot.

"I can't believe ya brought me t'some fancy shmancy shit," said Kreska, who was wearing her least-fucked-up pair of jeans and a relatively new t-shirt.

"Next time," he said, "I will be sure to check that the establishment has the requisite number of battered signage on the walls before bringing you. Would it make you feel better if I asked the waiter for a booster seat?"

"Oh, shit," Kreska said, eyes widening in feigned surprise as she looked down at the salad she had ordered. "I think they mixed up our orders." She held up the bowl to demonstrate. "I didn't order th' go fuck yourself. Did you order th' go fuck yourself? I'm pretty sure this is your go fuck yourself."

Raising one eyebrow, Ix checked out the corner of his eye that their waiter would not be returning any time soon. Between bites of his own meal, he murmured, "No, no. I'm pretty sure that's shit. You can go ahead and eat that."

Kreska's grin was wolfish, barely restrained delight. "Wow," she said, as if she had not coaxed him into saying far worse. "That kinda talk must getcha all th' boys. Must be beatin' 'em off with two hands'n all."

Ix had heard Kreska's unattractive behaviors bemoaned as such often enough to get the thrust of the joke. "It's very strange," he said, eyes still on his meal rather than his companion, "because it sounds as if you are making some kind of joke about mutual masturbation, but the way you are making it suggests that I would need fewer than four hands for myself."

Kreska snorted the beginnings of a laugh, then stifled it, fighting not to dissolve into giggles in the middle of the restaurant. She ended up pushing her food away, burying her face in her arms on the table. "Asshole," she muttered, muffled and giggling.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Ix said, in a tone suggesting that this was completely untrue, "is that where we're drawing the line? Big dick jokes are the line? That's good, I'm glad we've manage to clarify that." He had managed to remain deadpan, though the corner of his mouth had a twitch to it.

"Swear t'fuck," she said finally, pointing at him as she came up from the table, "one o' these days'm gonna find a species where dudes brag about how l'il their dicks are. One o' these fuckin' days."

Ix considered this. And then he waited for her to take a sip of her drink – insofar as what Kreska did could be called a sip. "When you do," he said, as her glass tilted back, "please feel free to introduce me to some of their women."

Kreska choked. She very nearly spit her drink on him. She grabbed an elaborately folded napkin, and fought with it briefly before surrendering, holding a linen swan against her mouth in a desperate attempt not to make a disgusting mess. One hand pressing an origami animal to her face, she used the other to flip him off.

Ix, unable to help himself, also found himself putting a hand over his mouth to try and bury a grin.

"Excuse me," said the waiter, who appeared apparently out of nowhere, "but is everything all right over here?"

This, Ix knew, was code for you are not being at all dignified enough for our establishment.

"Actually," Ix said, recovering smoothly as Kreska continued to look on the brink of collapsing in a fit, "I was hoping I could see the liberation paperwork for the Toielle you have working in the kitchen."

☠» so have you asked her yet
    ⚖» Asked who what?
    ☠» lmao don't play dumb
    ☠» you've been dating that jennifer chick for like 2 months
    ☠» she's thinking about moving in
    ☠» you're totally happy together
    ☠» which means ur gonna ask her if she's happy on osiris
    ☠» and she's gonna say no
    ☠» and you're gonna send her away because ur a dumbass
    ⚖» I will do no such thing.
    ⚖» We have a good life here.
    ⚖» If she wasn't planning to stay, she'd have told me by now.
    ⚖» You're the last person to be giving out relationship advice.
    ☠» lmao whatevs bruh

"Who are you messaging?" Jennifer asked. They were sitting on the couch, watching some movie or another than might have been about talking marine mammals. 'Sitting' was not terribly accurate, because he was sprawled across the couch, and she was sprawled across him. He'd been absentmindedly stroking her blonde curls with one hand, while two others conversed on his terminal.

"Just checking on a few things," he said dismissively.

He tried not to think about it.

He tried really hard not to think about it.

"Are you happy here?" he asked suddenly, during a commercial.

"Hm?" she said, looking up from the television. He preferred to wear his glasses when she was over; without them, he still found her eyes unsettling, the lightless void that humans always seemed to have. "Happy where?"

"On Osiris."

Jennifer giggled. "No one is happy on Osiris," she said, as if he'd asked whether she liked air pollution. "But it's not like we can afford to leave, so." She reached up to pat his cheek affectionately. "I'm the happiest girl on Osiris, anyway," she assured him, "as long as I'm here with you."

He should have stopped there. He really, absolutely should have. "If you could live anywhere," he said, tracing a thumb over her lower lip, "anywhere in mapped space – where would you go?"

"Cylinder Station 5," she said, so quickly that it was obvious she'd thought about it. "It has the second-lowest crime rate next to 12, it's designed to resemble island biomes, and they're always looking for more people to work with the cetacean population." She looked sheepish, then, as if embarrassed to have accidentally revealed a capacity to dream. "And a lawyer with a history of working for the civil rights of Terran cetaceans," she added, "would almost certainly be welcome."

Nena ala.

He shouldn't have asked.

"Soooo," asked Kreska, a month later, "how's Jennifer?"

She already knew what he was going to say. He could tell that she knew. "According to the ship's manifest, she arrived safely on Five yesterday."

"Has she messaged you yet?"

Ix grit his teeth. "No. She has not."

Kreska grinned, slapping him on the back with a lift of her eyebrows that perfectly expressed the fact that she had told him so. "You're a fuckin' dumbass."

"What th'fuck're ya doin'?" Kreska asked, and Ixaaliot stopped struggling long enough to let out an exasperated whoosh of breath.

"I am trying," he said, as if it should have been obvious, "to loosen these ropes."

On the other side of their bound chairs, out of his sight, she snorted. "Didja not flex when they were tyin' us up?" she asked.

"What?"

"Ya gotta flex when they're doin' th'ropes," she said, as if explaining something obvious, "so ya can relax later an' get some slack. Always do 'em too tight, otherwise."

"If you've been able to get loose this entire time," Ix said slowly, "I am going to be very annoyed."

Kreska laughed. "Fuckin' chill, you're gonna hurtcher damn self. We ain't gettin' more'n one chance an' I ain't wastin' it cuz you're antsy. Let 'em kick our asses a coupla times, first, if they think we're all broken'r whatevs they ain't gonna pay's much attention."

"… do I want to know how you know this?"

"Naw," she said, jabbing backward with her elbow in what was presumably an affectionate way. "You'd prolly cry or some shit, ya big baby."

"Great," he sighed. "So we just have to sit here."

"Here, let's play a game," she said. "Pretend ya got some pink-skinned motherfucker gettin' way too antsy t'get in your pants."

"You're going to be better at this game than I am."

"That's literally always true. Anyway, th' game's t'try an' come up with th'grossest way t'fuck that still sounds plausible, to get 'em t'fuck off."

Ixaaliot took a moment to think. "So the point of this game," he said slowly, "is to say something like: Siladen males have eight prehensile penises that rotate from a single joint located on the pelvis. Is that right?"

Kreska laughed, and she seemed to be doing that entirely too much for someone currently tied to a chair in a warehouse. "Naw, but see, ya'd lose wi'that one, cuz somebody out there's gotta fetish for that shit. S'gotta be more like: Jobari breasts actually house the secondary mouths, used to process animal proteins."

"Ugh. That's horrifying. Okay, how about this: Siladen actually only have one sex. The gender distinction occurs during mating, when one partner rips the external genitalia off of the other to access to internal genitalia. Gender is determined by the winner."

"That is so fucked up," Kreska cackled. "What th'fuck, since when's that th' kinda shitcher brain goes to?"

"Does that mean I won?"

"Oh, hell no, we're just startin'. Okay, uh. Fuck. Errybody knows Jobari only have th'one sex, but most people dunno that we got both setsa junk. Half our bodyweight's actually dick. Like, all up in th'abdomen. When we're ready t'fuck, they come outta what most people confuse for vaginas, an' grow to twice our size. Just. Huge fuckin' dicks."

"Doesn't work," Ix said. "Someone has a fetish for that."

"What? No fuckin'– okay, yeah, you're prolly right. Your turn, then."

"I still think I should have won with my last one, but okay. Top this one: Siladen do not actually have accessible genitalia in the traditional sense. We have a pouch below the sternum that holds our genetic material, and when it is time to mate, we vomit this slurry into the mouths of our partners."

"What th' fuck," Kreska cackled, and he felt their chairs move with the force of her laughter. "Fuckin' A, have ya played this before?"

"So now do I win?" he asked.

"No way," she said, still catching her breath. "I gotta trump card."

"You can try," Ix said, "but I don't think you're going to top either ripping off dicks or vomiting ejaculate."

"Firstly," she said, and he realized she was affecting a Kotii accent, "the trick is to sound very scientific about it."

"That does sound very scientific," he agreed, because a Kotii accent had the side-effect of making whoever used it sound smarter and more trustworthy.

"Jobari," she began, sounding like a biology professor, "do not actually reproduce in the traditional sense. Rather, they utilize a form of self-cloning known as budding, wherein smaller versions of themselves emerge from beneath the skin, in the manner of boils."

"That's disgusting, but I don't see–"

"Not finished dumbass," she said, exasperated, reverting briefly back to station scum before switching again to the more sophisticated tone. "Jobari do, however, have a peculiar method of acquiring animal proteins necessary for the creation of these clones. An evolutionary quirk known as the mock vagina means that many a human male has been fooled into thinking that they are biologically compatible. What these orifices actually contain is a sheathed succession of thorns, which activate moments after contact. These thorns inject urushiol oil into the victim, so that even if they manage to extricate themselves, it is unlikely that what remains will be identifiable as any kind of functional organ."

"… you win." Kreska's laugh almost resembled a giggle. "That is awful. That is unspeakably awful. You are an awful person, and that is an awful thing to have made me imagine."

"Ya gotta bring your A-game if ya wanna beat Kreska Ido at Unfuckable, man."

"That is a horrible name for a game, and we should only play it when we are being held hostage."

"Plannin' on gettin' taken hostage a lot?"

"No, I am planning on never playing that game again."

Promotion
arjun mirza & circe
muskaptilo

"What is that?"

The thing about Circe was that 'aging' didn't seem quite like the right word for what she had done. Arjun had aged. There were lines on his face where before there were none, every papercut now seemed to scar, and his sight had gone badly enough that he needed glasses now – never mind that he was only thirty.

Circe, she had blossomed. Her eyes were kohl-rimmed earthy pools, her hair did not fall as much as it cascaded, and the freckles on her dark skin made her look absurdly youthful.

"That is my ship," she said proudly, in the midst of wrapping yet another rope around one of the columns on the old bell tower.

"Your flying ship."

"My flying ship, yes." Somehow she managed to make it sound like he was being dense, rather than that she was mad. "That's actually why I need to see the King."

"You need to see the King about your flying ship." Circe always managed to do this to him, have him repeating everything she said as if to confirm that she had said it at all, that he had not somehow imagined in a kind of fever dream.

It wasn't a bad looking ship. It was all dark wood and light gilding, decorated in unnecessarily elaborate filigree, and it would have been a fine thing to see on the seas. It just didn't seem to belong in the sky, like some sort of hot air balloon gone wrong. It had to have been magic, to fly like that, but no one on Muskaptilo had witchery in their blood.

It was a rare sunny day, the skies blue and tinged with pink, and in the sunlight Circe's hair looked almost red. "Yes, that's what I said," she confirmed with a roll of her eyes, "I have a business proposition for him."

"A…" Arjun sighed, rubbed the bridge of his nose before realizing Circe was already trying to head down toward the palace. He took her by the shoulders, redirected her to right in front of him. He remembered when they were children, when she'd been taller than he was, but now she seemed impossibly tiny. "Look, why don't you tell me about this idea of yours, before you go storming the castle."

Circe groaned and rolled her eyes dramatically, as if she could imagine nothing more tedious. "Fiiiine. Here's what I'm thinking: when's the last time Muskaptilo had a navy?"

Arjun blinked. "Muskaptilo has never had a navy. We're pacifists."

"Right! But what if we did have a navy? A flying navy?"

"… what would we do with a flying navy?"

Circe seemed to vacillate at this, the way she always did when it came time to reveal the actual meat-and-bones of one of her plans. "It wouldn't be a proper navy, technically speaking. It would – do you know what a privateer is?"

"Words of the ancestors, Circe," Arjun swore.

"Okay, so you have – but, no, hear me out! The King writes me a letter of marque, authorizing me to act with all the authority of the Muskaptilian Navy. There are no borders in the ocean, so technically I can raid any ship I'd like and claim it was infringing on our borders. They can't follow me back here, not unless they have an airship of their own, not in any ship large enough to be a threat. And even if they did, because I'm still technically acting as a private citizen, the King could disavow all knowledge of any such activities. And! And! There are so many villages and towns and cities out there, Arjun, far away from their rulers, far away from any ruler! Not even part of any proper country, a lot of them, and I could bring in goods for trade, I could bring goods there. I've met so many merchants, so many caravans. I could sell Nadra's flowers! New fabric for Anya, new books for the library! It would be wonderful, Arjun, the King will have to see that."

"What you really want," he countered, and it was difficult to be sensible in the face of her obvious excitement, "is a safe harbor for you to hide in after committing the acts of piracy you are already planning to commit anyway."

"… maybe. Sort of. A little. But Arjun! If we do it this way, think of how good it will be for Muskaptilo. You know I still love my country, really."

Loved it enough to leave in a rickety basket on a threadbare balloon, no steering and no expectation of survival. Foolish and adventurous and brave Circe, and no island could contain her. Only the sky was big enough. "Before you go demanding your letter of marque," he said finally, "there's something you should know."

Circe, who had been standing on her toes in her excitement, lowered herself slowly at the look on his face. "What? What's happened?"

She really had no right to look so worried, to sound so distressed, when she'd been gone so long. So many things could have changed, of course things would be different now. "King Sen is dead."

Circe took a step back, away from the hands that Arjun had rested on her shoulders. "What?" She knew as well as Arjun that Sen had never borne children, had never expressed even the slightest interest in such. There had never been any obvious line of succession, though it had not been the sort of thing to concern either of them when he'd seen her last. "But then – who?"

Arjun took a deep breath, because this next part was going to be a bit difficult to explain. "If a King dies without leaving any heirs," he began slowly, "succession defaults to the second-highest authority in the country." Circe stared at him blankly, because she'd never much cared for keeping track of authority. "The – the librarian. The Royal Librarian. Is the second-highest authority."

Circe continued to stare, but slowly her eyes began to widen with dawning comprehension. "No. No! That's not – no! You don't mean–?"

"Arjun Mirza, fourth generation Royal Librarian of the librarian house of Mirza, and… King of Muskaptilo. Yes." He half-assed something almost like a bow, and sighed as Circe – as expected – began to cackle.

"But where is your crown, King Mirza?" Circe demanded, reaching up to ruffle Arjun's hair even as he batted her hands away.

"Too damn small," he muttered, but that only made her laugh harder.

"Does this mean," she said suddenly, clapping her hands together with delight, "that you get to use–?"

"The Royal Waterpipe? Yes. And as my honored guest, you may be the first to join me with it."

"So then I said – 'But if that's your wife, who's that under the table?'"

"You are so full of shit," Arjun declared, but he was laughing as he said it. They were in a room of the palace that was rarely used, the one for foreign dignitaries or other such travelers, honored guests of the King. Spiraling fractals were carved into the domed roof, the floor tile arranged into concentric circles all leading to the center. The tall glass pipe was placed in the center, as was traditional, and Arjun was reclining beside it. The cushions they were using had been embroidered by the tailor when she'd still been young and enthusiastic, entirely too impractical in their design to have been made by anyone over the age of twenty-five. Circe was sitting upright, the better to gesture wildly with her hands, and her mouthpiece to the pipe sat neglected on her knee.

"If I lie," she said, holding up a solemn hand, "may lightning strike me down." She lowered her hand to the oja gourd by her feet, and took a dainty sip through the metal straw.

"Aha!" Arjun said, pointing an accusatory finger in her direction. "You said lightning powers your engines. You have an incentive to lie." He inhaled from his mouthpiece, sweet oja smoke passing over his tongue, and blew a ring toward her.

"Politics has made you cynical," she said, setting the gourd back down so she could fall back on her cushions.

"Life has made me cynical," he corrected, propping his head up on his hand.

Circe sighed, and it was a thoughtful and serious sort of a sigh that meant she was about to say something Arjun wouldn't like. "There's something I haven't mentioned yet."

"You're dying," he guessed. "You're pregnant. You're dying because you're pregnant."

She threw a small cushion at his head, laughing. "No, you imbecile, I am none of those. I – there's someone on the ship. I brought her with me."

"Really?" he groaned. "You brought home a lover?"

"Not a lover. She's only twelve."

"Only – what?" He did not quite sit upright, but raised himself higher to look at her incredulously around the pipe. "Why would you bring a child here?"

"I had to get her away from where she was," she said helplessly, and he raised a hand in the universal sign for not wanting to know. Mainlanders.

"What is she even going to do here?"

"… I told her she could have goats."

"… what."

"She likes animals! I said there were goats, she was excited about the goats, I figured no one would mind letting an aspiring goatherd lay claim to a few of the wild goats." Circe grabbed her mouthpiece and took a drag of oja, still laying back, blowing smoke rings toward the ceiling.

Arjun fell back down to lounging with a groan. "Fine. We will find a place for your little goat girl. But don't make a habit of this, we can't have you bringing along mainlanders every time it strikes your fancy."

"… why not?" she dared to wonder, as if it weren't self-explanatory. "Would it be so bad, Arjun, to have children on the island again? New blood?"

"This island is dying, Circe," he said with a sigh. "Our society was built on a foundation of barren rocks and spite, it was never going to last. Let it die."

"Even your books?" she wondered, prodding him in the leg with the tip of one foot.

"Even the best-kept books rot away eventually," he said, dragging on oja again.

"How fatalistic," Circe accused. "What happened to the Arjun I used to know, who worried so much about preserving Muskaptilian culture? Where's your mishta? When's the last time you did poetry?"

"Mishta is for children," Arjun scoffed, though he smiled faintly as he said it. "What would even be the point, without a dancer? And there are no other poets to recite with, since you left. There is nothing here for me but books, now."

"You," Circe decided, "need a wife. I am going to find you one, just wait and see."

"I do not," he said, horrified, and this time it was his turn to throw a cushion at her head. "The last thing I need is you assaulting me with mainland women."

"You don't want a kolopita of your very own, swooning over your tattoos and boiling all your food?" she teased, catching the cushion and sticking it beneath her head as if he'd done her a favor.

"Have you even read that poem?" he asked. "It is an awful poem."

"We all read that poem," she reminded him, though he couldn't remember her actually paying attention when they were in school. "You used to like it."

"Children are not renowned for their good taste."

"What happened to your romance, little Mirza?" It was absurd that she would call him that now, when puberty had given her over a head's height advantage over her. It was more absurd that she would sound so sad, that she would sound as if she had a right to sadness when things were always certain to change while she was gone.

"The love of my life," he said, "found the act of laying with me so repulsive that she swore off men forever."

"Arjun," Circe gasped, her voice high-pitched with indignation, and she threw a much larger pillow much harder. "You know that isn't what it was like."

"Wasn't it?" He was trying not to sound bitter about it, and he was failing. He didn't even bother avoiding the cushion boffing him in the face.

"If it hadn't been for you," she said more softly, "I'd not have bothered with men at all. Only for you."

Arjun closed his eyes with a sigh, rubbed his eyes behind his glasses. "Fine," he said, and he sounded resigned.

"It is not fine," Circe said, still clearly unhappy with his views on all that their relationship had been. "You were–"

"No, not that," he interrupted, waving his hand through some of the smoke that filled the room. "You need a… what? A letter of marque? For our new navy?" Her squeal of delight almost made him smile. "But no more passengers," he added, as sternly as he was capable.

"We'll see," she said, sing-song; rather than argue, King Mirza took another drag on the pipe, and tried to remember what the immigration paperwork entailed.

Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 11-15-2014

Memories
faris
the wasteland
NSFW

The safest place to sleep in the desert at night was on the cliffs. Rock formations worn into unnatural looking shapes, unsteady red spires towering against pink sunsets.

A real bitch to get up there, though.

Good at running, good at climbing, that's what kept Faris alive. That, and his eyes, good at looking though they weren't much to look at. From his perch atop precariously balanced stone, he could see for miles in every direction. A spot of color that indicated water, shadows moving that meant dead game. Echoes in the sand of what might once have been a road, a rectangular shape barely visible.

He liked those best. Usually oil in those. Of course, oil only had value if he found someone to trade it with.

He considered what he might spend it on as he peeled the skin off a piece of cactus, popped a slice in his mouth to chew the moisture out of it. A new knife might be nice. He was shit at sharpening knives, just seemed to end up scraping them crooked. Guns just meant buying ammo and making noise, that was out of the question.

There was always women.

He narrowed his eyes at that faint shape in the distance as he considered the possibility. Whores meant having to buy rubbers, that was always a pain. In the bigger settlements the cheaper whores were the ones all painted, doused in perfume. Lips the color of blood leaving smears like regret on his skin, making him feel like he was drowning in cheap moonshine and flowers. If he wanted to stick his dick in a rose he wouldn't be paying for a woman.

Smaller places, those were better. Women who only did whoring on the side, didn't have the time or the inclination to dress up for it. When was the last time he'd been with a woman, anyway?

He laid back as he tried to remember, unbuckled his belt in an aimless sort of a way. Hadn't even been a whore, last time; a Hopi woman, hair down to her knees and tattoos on her arms. He didn't have the patience to sweep anyone off their feet, didn't have the time to bother trying to get laid the old-fashioned way. But she'd liked him, for whatever reason, and he hadn't complained.

Faris didn't have much in the way of an imagination. But memories weren't much, few and far between as he wrapped his hand around his cock and remembered lips hot and slick. Not creative enough to invent a woman from whole cloth, to imagine her riding him here and now. But it was the little things that he remembered, that he thought of, disassociated from any one body.

The gasping sound one had made when he'd first thrust inside her, the smell of coarse lye soap in another's hair. Fine blonde strands against his chest, a thick black braid in his palm, a tiny cry echoing in a closet. Coarse hair between his thighs, swollen pink lips still salty pressed against his own. Someone - he didn't know who, he didn't know when - she'd giggled, a tiny airy little thing so girlish and genuine that he'd stored it away in his memory for safekeeping. Fingers curling in the hair of his chest, fingernails clawing at his skin. Breasts too large for his hands, small and perky against his chest, soft skin hardening against his tongue.

There had been a doctor, years ago, who'd set his arm when it had broken too badly to fix himself. He wouldn't have dreamed of asking to fuck her, not when a good doctor was rarer than oil, not when she'd looked tired down to her bones. He'd thought about it anyway, and he thought that she knew that he had, bending her over the exam table and pounding into her. Something about the way she'd looked at him could give him goosebumps even now. He wondered how many men she'd saved who'd had the same ungracious thoughts. She'd smelled like lemons.

Skirts hiked up to waists, denim pulled down to knees, bare legs wrapped around him with not a stitch of clothing to be seen. Slender calves, soft thighs, a redhead whose mouth had formed a perfect circle as her eyes rolled backward. A brunette who'd been bored, but for a moment her breath had caught, a stifled sound.

The impossible softness of a woman, any woman, every woman, when he slid his fingers inside them, so soft it was like they'd break. That was the one thing that was never quite right, when it was just him and his hand. Calloused palms were a far cry from soft flesh, hot and wanting.

(He knew a guy who said he'd cut a hole in a cactus to fuck it, once. He didn't think he'd ever get that desperate, but he double-checked now before trying to eat them.)

Women on top of him, beneath him, beside him; bent over, splayed out, kneeling, sprawling. The smell of a woman who'd been out in the sun, who'd been sleeping, who'd been baking. Those gasps again, like he was forcing the air out of their lungs when he thrust into them, shallow breaths hot against his ear. Trying so hard to be quiet but she can't help breathing, the quiet only makes the sound of him plunging in and out seem louder, the wet sound of skin against skin.

There'd been a whore once who made noises like howling, and he'd fucked her too quickly to see if he could make her sound like a coyote. She'd kicked him out when he'd laughed, but he thought it was probably worth it.

Pale skin turning red with heat, dark skin with sweat shining like stars, spines arching and breasts bouncing. Calling his name, whispering it, and he liked the whispering better, liked it ragged and breathless, surprised more than pleased because they didn't plan to say it. Faris, almost offended, as if he'd stolen something. Muscles going taut against him, all the softness going tight around him-

With swift jerks he came, white splattered against dark skin, jaw clenching with a faint grunt.

He'd forgotten how good it felt. He'd forgotten how much it made him want the real thing. Remembering might not have been better.

Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 11-28-2014

Long Day's Night
dilleachta
las ballenas

Dilleachta stepped out of the hole in the wall and into her shower, soaking wet and freezing – as always. She knew well enough to keep her eyes closed, and so it was easier to recover for her, not blinded by the light as so many unfamiliar with the experience wound up. She turned, pulled the hole from the wall; it collapsed into her hand like nothing more than a black cloak, shimmering slightly. Her briefcase clicked open, empty, and she put the hole away before tossing the whole thing aside. The wet clothes were stripped off, thrown to the bathroom floor, the pins removed from her hair with the disgust that always accompanied letting her hair down.

Actually showering required a special stool, so that she could reach the levers, reach the showerhead and the soap that most probably took for granted. It was probably possible to get a special shower made, one that accounted for the fact that she was only three feet tall, but Dilleachta had no desire to order such a thing. No desire to have deliverymen and installers in her apartment, putting in special fixtures for her disability. No desire to have anyone in her apartment, ever, for any reason. The makeup was scrubbed from her face, ran pink and bronze and brown down the drain. There was no need to shave, no need to exfoliate; it was enough to wash the makeup off, the grime of the city out of her hair and her tail.

She slid out of the shower, gathered her dirty clothes and put her hair up before she could see herself in the mirror. She could tolerate the rest of it, could tolerate her pale skin and the shape of her body and even the ears on the top of her head, but she couldn't bear the sight of her hair.

There was a stool at the sink, as well, so she could brush her teeth with a toothbrush made for children. It probably wasn't necessary – her square white teeth, her needle-like fangs, would probably always be pristine. But she brushed her teeth anyway, because brushing and flossing twice a day was important. She brushed, even if it meant looking at herself in the mirror, the skin so pale without makeup, the red eyes so large with their slitted pupils. Escape occurred as soon as it was possible; the longer she looked at herself, the stranger she found her own reflection, the more alien she was to herself.

Exercise clothes were pulled from the closet to act as respectable looking pajamas, and she curled up on the black leather couch with a plate of microwavable appetizers that almost made her feel normal-sized.

It had been hard at first, on her own, figuring out what to do with her free time. Her apartment was filled with books, leather bound with gold titles, critically acclaimed bestsellers and classics. She had never read any of them. Again and again she'd tried to enjoy reading, but always her eyes trailed off the page, never could she keep track of the letters and the words and the meanings behind them. The fact nonetheless remained: smart people read books. So Dilleachta had books, as pristine as her chess set.

Computers, too, were difficult. The smartphone she'd left in her briefcase was slightly better, but in her hands it was a tablet, and the technology was barely comprehensible. So now, as usual, she watched television. No sitcoms, filled with people whose problems she'd love to have. Nothing with romance, nothing with monsters. Instead she watched the lowest of the low, binging on reality shows about human beings that lived in filth and squalor and pettiness. It was all she could stand, it seemed, to watch people that she could never envy, people she would never want. Her tail, black fur dried, wrapped itself around her like a blanket. She hugged it to her chest, but did not purr, even if it was what instinct demanded. Dilleachta didn't purr anymore, didn't hiss, didn't slink or crawl or climb.

She slept on the couch, as always. The master bedroom, the large bed, was as much for show as her books. It was too big, too empty, too difficult to wash the sheets and tuck in the comforter. But it looked fabulous.

Dreams came of pleased voices, of warm skin, of the sound of a heartbeat beneath her. They were always the same, her dreams, where she never knew any better than to curl up on a lap or sprawl across a sunbeam. And when she woke twelve hours later, the anger came, always the same. Anger at dreams, at herself for having them, at herself for enjoying them, at a world that left her wanting.

Her music was on vinyl, even though the records looked enormous in her hands. Music was the other thing she could enjoy, the old kind without voices, if only in her own home. Headphones, after all, were an impossibility; made for human ears, ears she didn't have on the sides of her head.

Moonlight Sonata was a cliché, but she played it anyway - nothing but piano would suit her now, no violins if she could help it. Trudging back into the bathroom, she retrieved her briefcase; released a breath she hadn't known she was holding when it clicked open and her things were inside. That was always the fear, that the briefcase wouldn't open, that it would be empty and her phone and makeup would be lost.

Dilleachta didn't know how her phone worked; she only knew that she needed one with a stylus, with a special pen, because her fingers weren't large enough for the screen to know when she was touching it. It looked absurd, as if she was taking notes on a clipboard, but she tolerated it by pretending it looked professional. A message from her employer, as she'd expected; time to get ready for work. A black pencil skirt, a matching suit jacket over a prim white blouse, stockings and heels – all ordered online, all made for dolls. Her black hair was pinned into a tight bun, waterproof makeup applied with an expert hand. Red lipstick, brown eyeliner, rouge and foundation all worked together to make her skin more life-like, less pristine. She'd need to fix it when she arrived, would need to wait for her clothes to dry, but most of the work was done. Her phone and her makeup were placed back in the briefcase, clicked shut; when she opened it again they were gone, and in their place another hole. She placed it on her living room wall, closed her eyes, and stepped into the cold – briefcase in hand.

Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 11-28-2014

Lunch Break
dilleachta & benjamin cook & hale francis
las ballenas

Dilleachta was uncomfortable. Discomfort practically washed off of her in waves. She regarded the room like a cage – nevermind that it was a restaurant. A rather nice one, at that. Maybe it was the fact that she was sitting in a booster seat.

The Machine did not have many couriers. Or perhaps they did. Benjamin Cook, however, only knew two others: Dilleachta, and Hale Francis. Hale had hired him, and Ben had hired Dilleachta. He'd asked, before, if Hale knew who'd hired him – but that didn't seem to be the sort of thing Hale felt like talking about.

Ben was fairly mundane, as these things went, a suburban white kid who just so happened to be capable of flight. Hale looked normal at first glance, a lanky black guy with an afro and thick-rimmed hipster glasses; his powers, however, involved time manipulation. They were, in Ben's opinion, infinitely cooler than flight.

Dilleachta didn't have any powers, but that wasn't obvious to look at her. Three feet tall with a face like a china doll, she had cat ears and a tail, and not much good to show for it. She wore more makeup now than when Ben had hired her, dressed in a suit that made it look like she worked in an office. But Ben couldn't help seeing a wet cat in the rain, trapped on the edge of nothing the way they'd all been.

Normally these dinners were just Ben and Hale; Ben had invited Dilleachta this time, experimentally. It would be nice, to bring her out of her shell. If he was honest, he missed being surrounded by a gang of friends – even if his previous experience had mostly involved getting treated like shit.

In his friends' defense, he had been a shit.

"I am getting a cherry limeade," Ben declared, first to answer the waitress. Hale gave him a mocking grin.

"Don't wanna fly home drunk?" Hale teased, giving the drink menu a passing glance. "Bring me the most expensive red wine you have. I'm going to have to be classy enough for the both of us. Cherry limeade. Are you twelve?"

"Dilleachta?" Ben prompted, and she was considering her menu very seriously.

"Water," she said finally, after all that. As the waitress left, her red eyes met Ben's blue ones, her pupils black slits. "Would… you mind calling me Leah, instead?"

He smiled, wide and welcoming, reassured by this potential gesture of friendship. "I don't think we'd have a problem with that – would we, Hale?"

"Not at all." Hale smiled, as well, all suave charm – but she did not actually seem very reassured by the sight of two men grinning at her. Both seemed to realize this at the same time, turned their gazes back to their menus as if they didn't always get the same thing. "Do you know what you're getting?"

"I might get this salad," she suggested after a long deliberation, and both men exchanged A Look. Salad did not really strike either of them as cat food – but then again, who were they to judge? "Maybe a half order."

Silence descended as all realized that they did not actually have much to talk about. Normally, Ben and Hale would talk soccer – but Leah didn't seem like she'd be into that sort of thing. At her size, a soccer ball might be deadly.

"Have you done a job yet?" Ben asked lightly. If nothing else, they certainly had work in common.

"Yes. It was… strange. I don't know if I explained things properly."

"Don't even worry about it," Hale said dismissively, a wave of his hand. "People who ask too many questions void their contracts, anyway."

"I… thought that wasn't possible."

"Oh, god, you've got him started." Ben rolled his eyes, and Leah looked between them, confused.

"Just because you forgot all about Ji-Hun–"

"I did not forget about Ji-Hun! He kicked my ass on numerous occasions. He was a juvenile delinquent, and is probably an adult delinquent. I don't know where you get this shit."

Hale ignored Ben's assertions, leaned in toward Dilleachta conspiratorially with a very serious gaze. "Look, this is real important, okay? Do not fuck with??? ??????e. Do not look that gift horse in the mouth. Poke around too much, ask too many questions, you will get retconned so fast that it will never not have happened."

Dilleachta was leaning away from him, and Ben put a warning hand on his shoulder. "Dude, don't scare her – Hale is the only one that's ever said anything about this, okay? You're fine. If you weren't fine, you wouldn't be here, right?"

"I have time powers," Hale persisted. "I see this shit, okay? Most people can only remember shit that's happened, but I can remember shit that never happened anymore. Shit that gets changed. Everything smoothes itself out, but I remember the wrinkles. Right?"

"Years now," Ben sighed, exasperated, rolling his eyes. "Years, he's been saying this kid I knew in high school worked here."

"Ji-Hun was smart, okay? Except he wasn't smart enough to keep his nose outta shit. Kept poking around, trying to figure out who The Machine was. They warned him he'd be void, but he didn't listen, and then he got retconned."

"Ji-Hun was a criminal. I mean, I liked him. I wouldn't mind catching up with him. But I don't think I saw him read a book ever. We're talking about a seventeen year old kid that threw cars at people he disagreed with and fucked thirteen year old girls."

"Yeah, now."

"Yeah, always."

"Exactly! That's how they get you."

The waitress reappeared, and they ordered the usual: a sampler of appetizers, a burger for Ben, a steak for Hale, and now a half-order of an overpriced salad for Leah.

"I don't really care how it works," she said quietly once the waitress left. "I don't know – I mean, I don't expect to know how everything works. As long as it works. If it seems like bad things don't happen – that's basically the same as if they don't, right?"

This didn't seem right to Ben, but Hale nodded, pleased. "Smart kid. Don't worry about details. Our job is to be in the right place at the right time, everything else is above our paygrade." He leaned into the table conspiratorially again, this time toward the both of them. "Let's talk about some real serious shit." He paused for dramatic effect, considered both their faces. "Did you see what Lola Tea wore to that awards show last week?"

"Oh my gawd," Ben gushed dramatically, because it was unabashed gossip time. "That thing with the ruffles underneath her…?"

"Yes! Can you even believe she thought that was a good idea?" Hale turned to Leah, a gleam in his eyes. "Please tell me you saw it, I have got to know what this classy dame thought about that travesty." Ben thought he saw Leah sit up straighter when Hale described her as a classy dame, and he wondered what it took to get that kind of skill with women.

"I may have seen it," Dilleachta admitted, abashed, the way one might confess to having seen filth. This was not entirely inaccurate. "The pink seemed like the strangest thing."

"Oh, that woman looked a filleted salmon on a knotty stick," Ben agreed with a nod. "I mean, that's her prerogative, if she gives no fucks more power to her – but then that shit she said about Queen K.K.?"

"That was fucked. Up." Hale looked offended that anyone might even dare looking at the Queen, to say nothing of Lola's crimes. "Talking shit like that, in a dress like that? Pot, kettle."

"It's not unfair to hold her to her own standards," Leah declared, like a royal proclamation. Later, Ben would have to ask how Hale had figured her for the Lunar Inquiries type.

"She's just bitter because she peaked – what – five years ago? Even then she was hanging out with girls half her age, shit was creepy."

"She can't touch the Queen and she knows it."

"I'm not really sure why she was ever popular," Dilleachta confessed.

"You probably managed to avoid actually hearing her music," Hale suggested, the tone of a man who hadn't had her luck. "Sirens, man. I know objectively that her music's awful, but it just gets into your brain. It's like candy. I've got it out of my system now, but for a while there – it was bad, man. I've got some embarrassing concert shirts. And concert dresses. Can you believe she sold concert dresses? They did not fit, I can promise you that. Those were some shady business practices."

Dilleachta was not exactly glowing, but there was a ghost of a smile on her face, and her eyes no longer searched the room for an escape. She was comfortable, at least a little. Enough that they could do this again. Enough that maybe – eventually – they'd feel like friends.

It would be nice.

Tindome's Story Corner [Read-Only] - Tindome - 12-06-2014

Negotiations
niyol sani & mai sani
the wasteland
necessary fonts are here

"I may have something else you might like."

Niyol looked up from the registers he was filling out with a raised eyebrow. Or rather, looked down, since the head of this particular caravan didn't have much going for him in the legs department. There weren't many caravans allowed to enter Dinétah without being shot on sight, trusted to travel between Dinétah and Ȟe Sápa. Usually the privilege meant they knew not to press their luck. But Tó Dínéeshzhee', he was realizing, was developing a reputation.

He sighed, looking to where the men of various clans loaded and unloaded such goods as had been traded for. None as many as Dibé Łizhiní, which Niyol chose to attribute to his own skills. "And what exactly is that?" he asked, not bothering to look at him, not sounding even remotely interested.

The caravaner held up what might once have been a toy for children, a flimsy flying thing with wings and a propeller. The tin was dented and scratched, the paint had worn off, but it looked functional. It was garbage. Worthless garbage.

Mai would love it.

"That," Niyol said coldly, "is trash."

"So I should just throw it on the fire, is what you're saying?"

Niyol sighed, stuck his pen behind his ear and held out his hand. "Let me look at it, then."

"You wanna look at it, you pay."

He tsked with irritation, furrowed his brow and went back to filling out inventory forms. "The hell you expect to get for that thing, anyway?" he asked after a moment of pretending not to care.

"Pomegranate."

The word he'd been in the middle of writing trailed off into an ugly splatter. "That's absurd." The man only shrugged. "Look, I could maybe see buying that on a lark, but you can't expect me to give you a pomegranate for that. Be reasonable. Skein of yarn, maybe."

"We got plenty of yarn. I don't want yarn. This here is mine, and what I want for it is a pomegranate."

They had a few of their own pomegranate trees. Not many, but a few. Mai liked them most, and if she had to choose between a pomegranate and some old tech garbage… there'd be no question. "Notah," he called, to one of his brothers currently carrying a crate of rice. He waved him over. «On your way back out, bring me a pomegranate.»

Notah raised an eyebrow, looked down at the little man and the little plane he held. "Mai?" Niyol scowled, and Notah laughed; Dibé Łizhiní, but not Sani, he both understood and didn't.

Times like this, he really missed his mother.

«Heading to the dump?» Mosi asked, raising a meaningful eyebrow at the toy in his hand.

«What do you want, Mosi?» he asked instead of answering, not bothering to slow down. He was not even remotely in the mood for any Ma’iito? bullshit.

«My brother said you're taking Mai out of Dinétah,» she said, and he didn't have to ask which brother. Atsidi was the only one who would have known, since he hadn't been able to avoid telling him about it. Not the details, thankfully, but he'd needed to know enough to assign warriors to protect them. Atsidi had never seemed half as interested in marrying Mai as Mosi was in marrying him. He would have thought she'd have wanted to avoid the scandal, if nothing else. Ma’iito? reveled in other people's scandals. He would have liked to have told her to go fuck herself – but there was still a chance, however remote, that her brother might want to marry Mai. Which meant he had to be nice to her.

«Yes. We're taking a trip for personal reasons.» Which was just a sideways method of telling her to go fuck herself, but so it went.

«And the rest of your clan is okay with that? You're not worried white cannibals will rape her to death?» Her eyelashes fluttered, and Niyol fought the scowl that that tugged at his features.

«You're such a doll,» he said with a tight smile, «always worrying about others.» Nosey little bitch, anyway, making him worry even more than he already was. He'd never run into any wandering hordes of cannibals, so he told himself it was going to be fine. They were going to be guarded, anyway. There was no reason for everything to be anything but fine.

«Atsidi's just beside himself,» she continued, still following, because her legs were almost as long as his. «He's so worried about her.»

«I don't doubt it,» he said, though he doubted it very much. He had a hunch, though he couldn't confirm it, that Mosi was pressuring her brother to marry so she could make room in the house for him. The man didn't seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for the idea of joining their household; the only reason Niyol wasn't opposed to him was that he didn't seem like he'd make waves. Mai absolutely, undeniably, spoiled the everliving shit out of them. Ordinarily clans self-corrected for that sort of thing, because it was in everyone's best interest to avoid frivolity. But they still had the most sheep, and that meant they had the most everything.

Except reputation. Their reputation was shit. But it was hard to care when you had tequila and a bathtub the size of some houses.

«If she dies, will the Black Sheep have to send a matriarch from another reservation? You can always join Coyote Spring, we'll be happy to have you.»

«I'm the only other Sani,» he reminded her, as if she didn't already know, as if it was his sense of responsibility or propriety that kept him from marrying.

«But if she died–»

«I would be too busy mourning to consider marrying,» he said flatly, cutting off the thought too quickly to be polite. His grip on the little plane in his hand was white-knuckled, though he kept his demeanor otherwise as sweet as always. He had a reputation as a charmer to uphold, after all. It was one of the only reasons they tolerated his near-constant forays into the desert, his well-known affection for whores. They forgave it, because he was charming and because duty kept him from marrying, because everyone was perfectly happy to pretend he was trying to be respectable, that Niyol Sani was the one to be pitied.

Mosi crossed her arms over her chest, though she wasn't the type to pout, not like Mai. She was all sharp edges, strong features, a paragon of womanhood. A woman like that would let him get away with approximately fuck-all. «What would it take to get you married, Niyol?»

<span> </span>Brain damage. He was at the door, so instead he gave her what he liked to think of as his most dazzling smile. «A woman who'll let me brush her hair at night,» he said against his better judgment, «who'll wake me up with her mouth on my dick, and let me fuck her friends for lunch.» And then he shut the door behind him before she could respond, though the glimpse of the look on her face was entirely worth the shit he would eventually get.

«I got you a present.»

«Fuck off.»

That meant she was working, because that only ever happened when she was working. He never knew why that was, if his sister had some secret rage buried inside her, if she was actually a foul-mouthed pit of anger that only revealed herself when her mind was otherwise occupied. Somehow, he doubted she had quite that much depth. It seemed much more likely that being interrupted while working was the only thing that could penetrate her perpetually sunny demeanor.

«Technically you got you a present, obviously,» he continued, undeterred. «But since I picked it out, I think it counts.» Mai was crouched on the floor in the middle of her room, dressed in nothing but a ratty old skirt, small and thin. She'd tied her hair in a lazy knot at the back of her neck, had the windows all shut to keep out the wind and the sand it brought with it. She had some kind of electrical something-or-other resting on her knees, plastic case cracked open and soldering iron in hand. Probably figuring out how to make some old tech work without batteries, since that seemed like about half of what she ended up doing.

The storage problem, she called it, everything salvageable ran off batteries that weren't, they could make power but they had no way to save it. Niyol didn't pretend to understand half of what she told him, about batteries and how they worked and why they couldn't make new ones. He didn't even understand how their wind generators worked, funny little things that looked nothing like anyone else's. The fact that she could recreate anything old tech astonished him, he wasn't about to get hung up on the things she couldn't.

He set the little plane on top of her head, and she huffed out her nose, made a sound like an angry cat about to bite. That was the other thing she did when she was working, forgot how to be civilized. There was a public workshop, where the silversmiths and the weavers all worked and enjoyed each other's company, but Mai always worked at home. They were too noisy and too curious, she was too strange. He thought being smarter than they were meant she should get a pass, but they didn't seem to agree.

Snatching the toy off her head, she froze when she saw it. «Does it work?» she asked, wide-eyed and awestruck.

«No idea. That's your thing, not mine.»

She set down her iron and her project, and turned the little plane this way and that, trying to figure out how it worked. Finally, experimentally, she began to twist the little propeller; eventually she set the plane on the floor, and the little propeller sent it slowly across the floor until it hit an old engine block. «Neat,» Niyol said encouragingly.

«It's not really enough to achieve lift,» she said, disappointed. «It might go a ways if you threw it, but that doesn't really count.»

«So… it's bad?»

«No, no, I didn't say that. It's lovely. If the body is an accurate replica, I might be able to… hm.»

He'd lost her again, her head in ten different places, at least half of them in the sky. «Have fun,» he murmured as he backed out of the room.

«You, too,» she said automatically, and he smiled.